Used to plasma, now have Samsung, "Judder" issues, help! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-15-2016, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Used to plasma, now have Samsung, "Judder" issues, help!

I had a plasma pioneer elite pro and a Sony lcd, neither had judder.

The Sony was a 120 hz I think, my new Samsung KS8000, the new 2016 model has 120 hz I am pretty sure.

On certain tv shows, recorded like sitcoms or HGTV, the judder is real bad. Even though this resource

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/movies/judder/24p

said my model was judder free, it is not.

Do Sony's simply have better technology in this area?

I know why my plasma was judder free, 600 hz.

What are the best settings, I have looked and looked and adjusted and no matter what I do I cant get it to go away on these specific sources

edt:

Game mode does help this and it also reduces contrast or brightness or picture quality...bummer. I have two new Samsung's, do I have to return to Costco and get Sony's?

Last edited by randys1; 07-15-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-15-2016, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by randys1 View Post
I had a plasma pioneer elite pro and a Sony lcd, neither had judder.

The Sony was a 120 hz I think, my new Samsung KS8000, the new 2016 model has 120 hz I am pretty sure.

On certain tv shows, recorded like sitcoms or HGTV, the judder is real bad. Even though this resource

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/movies/judder/24p

said my model was judder free, it is not.

Do Sony's simply have better technology in this area?

I know why my plasma was judder free, 600 hz.

What are the best settings, I have looked and looked and adjusted and no matter what I do I cant get it to go away on these specific sources
I replaced a plasma with a KS8000 just last week and still have my VT50 in the theater room...Here's a few thoughts...
1) Sony does have better motion processing
2) The Samsung can be jutter free, or close to it with good uncompressed or minimally compressed content, try some youtube 4k for reference.
3) None of these LCDs will handle motion like a plasma, plasma could update each pixel as necessary without back flicker or other mechanical limitations inherent to LCD with regard to motion handling.

No doubt HGTV can jutter very badly, I've noticed the same thing. I've customized the motion handling which seems to have helped some but it's still not great.

In short best motion handling on LCD that I have seen is Sony. The downside? You'll give up some contrast...a fair amount of contrast on all but their top model. I will tell you I've gotten somewhat used to the motion issues over the last week and can appreciate the set for what it does well.

I would urge you to keep tweaking and know that these ultra compressed and subpar sources will create more noticable issues on an LCD than on a plasma.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-15-2016, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post
I replaced a plasma with a KS8000 just last week and still have my VT50 in the theater room...Here's a few thoughts...
1) Sony does have better motion processing
2) The Samsung can be jutter free, or close to it with good uncompressed or minimally compressed content, try some youtube 4k for reference.
3) None of these LCDs will handle motion like a plasma, plasma could update each pixel as necessary without back flicker or other mechanical limitations inherent to LCD with regard to motion handling.

No doubt HGTV can jutter very badly, I've noticed the same thing. I've customized the motion handling which seems to have helped some but it's still not great.

In short best motion handling on LCD that I have seen is Sony. The downside? You'll give up some contrast...a fair amount of contrast on all but their top model. I will tell you I've gotten somewhat used to the motion issues over the last week and can appreciate the set for what it does well.

I would urge you to keep tweaking and know that these ultra compressed and subpar sources will create more noticable issues on an LCD than on a plasma.
Someone tried to talk me into Sony, well he is a salesman, but I couldnt compare them at the time so I went to a Best Buy, which I dont have locally, and looked at the 2016 Samsung and sony models side by side, assuming the Samsung would jump out with more contrast and that shiny look that I like, which is why I want it, because the Sony didnt "historically" have that. But they looked identical to me, but I dont know what settings each were on.

If you are telling me the Sony still suffers in that regard, then I will live with the Samsung issues because I do like the way this picture JUMPS out at me.

I notice a network sitcom like "Big Bang Theory" almost no judder (talking about my new Samsung) but the HGTV shows lots of it and I watch a dumb sitcom called "Young & Hungry" on Freeform or whatever it is called now, and the judder is awful on BOTH my new Samsung UNKU630D (Costco) 60 hz and my KS800D (Costco) 120 hz. Weird, i thought all TV was in the same format?

I cant figure out what tv is shot in, in relation to the ratings

Judder-free 24p Judder-free 24p via 60p ▾ Judder-free 24p via 60i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page