AVS Forum banner

U.K. Shootout lcd and oled with surprising results

759 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  imagic 
#1 ·
#3 ·
theres another thread in the oled section too that I started on saturday.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...saturday-july-23rd-2016-a-2.html#post45577785

@dalto In a sense you are right. However, the results are a confirmation of what the professional reviewers have been saying for 2 months now. Steve Withers, John Archer, etc, believe the LCDS provide more "wow" with HDR, while the oleds have more of a balanced look with its better black levels.

you can have 22 voters or 1000 voters, but if a tv is clipping details and highlights, the problem is there regardless and all voters will see it.

Hoping we get a full write up about how it went by Vincent from hdtvtest.

#4 ·
@dalto In a sense you are right. However, the results are a confirmation of what the professional reviewers have been saying for 2 months now. Steve Withers, John Archer, etc, believe the LCDS provide more "wow" with HDR, while the oleds have more of a balanced look with its better black levels.
I don't really disagree with what you are saying but to me HDR performance is only a single element of overall performance.

you can have 22 voters or 1000 voters, but if a tv is clipping details and highlights, the problem is there regardless and all voters will see it.
I hear what you are saying but that article starts out with some true but misleading statements. The first part of the opening statement reads:
"For the past few years most serious AV fans have lauded OLED screen technology as the future of television. The startling results of a new public ‘shoot out’ between a selection of the latest cutting edge TVs, though, suggest that maybe oft-derided LCD technology is set to have the last laugh after all.
An overwhelming 80% of audience participants at the UK-based shoot out stated that they believed 2016 LCD screens delivered a better picture with the latest high dynamic range (HDR ) image content than LG’s latest OLED65E6 OLED TV."

That is misleading for few reasons, first, because the sample size was tiny. It also makes it seem like the audience was making a choice between OLED and LCD when in fact that were choosing between 4 TVs, 75% of which were LCDs. Lastly, it isn't until nearly the end of the article that he mentions that over 80% of the limited sample preferred the LG over the other 3 sets for SDR content.

Don't get me wrong, at this point, I prefer my LCD to my OLED so I am not really disagreeing with the points. It just seems like a pretty biased article.

#6 · (Edited)
I found someone who attended the HDTVtest shootout.

I asked him if he agreed with the results and this was his answer:

"I went expecting the OLED to blow me away and was surprised when it didn't. Biggest s'prise was the poor Sony!!!"

I then asked him what exactly was wrong with the sony to which he replied:

"On its own, nothing. It just wasn't as good in any area as the other 3. Apart from size."

https://twitter.com/Biano44/status/757660172961579010

This does surprise me, i was thinking the 940d was the darkhorse to win with a very balanced performance.

Im also curious if the 65" version of the KS9800 is a better overall performer than the 78" version (which was used in the VE shootout). the smaller screen could be better precision and less bloom.

#9 ·
Interesting. Especially since the Sony came in right behind the OLED in the US shootout, and the Sammy fell to third. I wonder how the Panasonic would have stacked up in the VE shootout.

#8 ·
Most people prefer constant Brightness over deep Black Levels and ANSI Contrast.

It comes down to content, with Films and a Light Controlled environment OLED is king...

News, Sports, T.V. Dramas, T.V. Comedies and the like in a Bright room will give the advantage to LED...

Reactions: losservatore
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.