OLED55C6p vs UN65KS9800 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 17Likes
  • 1 Post By ray0414
  • 1 Post By Gillietalls
  • 1 Post By losservatore
  • 1 Post By ray0414
  • 1 Post By ray0414
  • 1 Post By losservatore
  • 1 Post By ray0414
  • 1 Post By dalto
  • 2 Post By losservatore
  • 1 Post By losservatore
  • 1 Post By ray0414
  • 1 Post By ray0414
  • 1 Post By losservatore
  • 1 Post By temery
  • 1 Post By ray0414
  • 1 Post By temery

Old 07-28-2016, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
OLED55C6p vs UN65KS9800

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this or not - but here goes:

I'm looking for help making a tough decision - OLED55C6p vs UN65KS9800

I recently replaced my Mitsubishi LT-46131 LCD with a LG OLED55C6P - actually just about three days ago - but I'm second guessing my purchase. I'm now considering returning and picking up the Samsung 65" KS9800 instead UN65KS9800FXZA. I'm going back and forth on the pro's and con's on these sets and am hoping for some insight from the community. I'll give more details here.

First off, I work for BB and with the accommodation vs employee discount for these sets, I can have either set for ~2000 - so the end price will be the same, actually the Samsung will prob be a little cheaper. I do not get nearly the same discount for the 65" version of the LG OLED so that's not in the mix.

We primary will use this TV for watching TV, DVR, streaming shows and movies. I do plan to pick up the new Xbox one S when it comes out so at that point I will also plan to use the HDR gaming and UHD discs.

Onto why I'm considering this:

After getting the OLED out of the box and on the stand, the first issue that came up was the reflections of the window and light in the room. Unfortunately, there is no way to rearrange the room to fix the issues - the tv is in a corner and there is a light diaganol across (about 15-20ft) and a large window behind the seating area. Both of these reflect light on the top of the screen, which due to the curve spreads across entire top 1/3 of the screen.

The second issue is that I was pretty disappointed that the TV didn't appear much bigger to me. The old TV was a 47", but had a pretty thick benzel around it, so they essentially take up the same footprint. I was really hoping for that "wow that's a bigger tv" sort of factor along with the upgraded PQ. I have a 160" projector setup in my basement so I've always liked bigger, and I always felt the 47" was small for the room (it took a bit to convince the wife but she agreed when we got the 55" setup, that maybe 65" would have been the way to go)

The third issue was that I was just underwhelmed by the picture. I know this will probably change when I stop viewing Dish's 1080i signal - they are coming out in 2 days with the Joey 4k dvr setup, so hopefully I will be wow'd. I have yet to hook up a blue ray player to it to see how that looks - we honestly don't watch many blue rays in the living room, that is reserved for the projector. I played with the settings a little, but I don't know much of what I'm doing. I tried the preset settings on the TV but haven't found anything that looks like what I was expecting. I won't have either TV calibrated, so if that factors in keep that in mind. I do have a Disney WOW calibration disc that I could use, but being that it wasn't designed for 4k or HDR, I'm not sure how effective it would be.

This led me to look at the Samsung KS9800. Like I said both TV's will end up costing about the same amount - and I read that the Samsung handles glare issues better due to the Motheye, and of course, I'd be getting 10" more tv, which I really like the idea of. The thing that worries me the most about the Samsung is the lack of Dolby Vision. I like the idea that the LG is more future proof, and can handle content from both formats. Since the majority of what we will watch is going to be streaming or from the Dish 4k cable box, will this be an issue? When I read up on the HDR 10 vs Dolby Vision it seems that Dolby Vision is going to be more prevalent with the streaming apps, and I don't want to be kicking myself later for giving up that option. For those that have been streaming like this, is there mostly Dolby Vision content or is there really not enough of it out there for it to be a deciding factor?

Will either TV have any issues with 4k HDR gaming when the new Scorpio and Playstation 4.5/NEO are released, IF they offer that feature? or will either be an issue for utilizing the XBOX ONE S which I think when games in HDR does it at 1080p however plays 4k HDR UHD discs.

Thanks for taking the time to view this and I appreciate any input. I have about 11-12 days to return the OLED if that's my decision, so I have to make a decision soon.

Also, I heard mentioned a few times that some TV's need a "break in period"... is this true for these TV's, would I see a change after a while of use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2016, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 8403 Post(s)
Liked: 6675
The extra brightness and anti glare will help alot. What's the viewing angle situation? Wide angles or straight on?
temery likes this.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Size will make a difference too. Number one buyer's remorse is not going with the bigger tv.
temery likes this.

LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, Samsung 55HU9000 (sek-3500), LG 55UB8200
Xbox One S, Samsung UBD-K8500, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
Old 07-28-2016, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
The extra brightness and anti glare will help alot. What's the viewing angle situation? Wide angles or straight on?
most of the viewing will be straight on however we do have some seating that is to the on the side... i'll show a pic to give an example. I forgot about the viewing angle issues of an LCD vs OLED.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv setup.png
Views:	44
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	1569449  
Old 07-28-2016, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1973 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
seems like you pretty much know the pros and cons of each tech and you have been doing the research.

edit: missed that you are getting a BB special deal.
temery likes this.

Last edited by losservatore; 07-28-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temery View Post
most of the viewing will be straight on however we do have some seating that is to the on the side... i'll show a pic to give an example. I forgot about the viewing angle issues of an LCD vs OLED.

Doesn't look bad. If needed, you can angle the tv towards the 2 main seating positions. But the ks9800 viewing angles are slightly better than previous samsungs and slightly better than the average lcd tv, even if only by a couple feet. For the price you're paying, I would give it a try. That's a darn good deal and it's much easier to deal with the minor issues of the tv at that price.
temery likes this.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
seems like you pretty much know the pros and cons of each tech and you have been doing the research.

My reccomendation is to check chris from Cleveland plasma he is an avs sponsor and can get you a 65" oled for around the price of the 55" that you see on BB.

I got mine from him.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/member...nd-plasma.html

He gets a discount from Best buy, much cheaper than what Chris can offer. Also, a cheaper price doesn't magically make reflections go away. But moth eye does
temery likes this.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
He gets a discount from Best buy, much cheaper than what Chris can offer. Also, a cheaper price doesn't magically make reflections go away. But moth eye does

I was editing my post while you were typing.
temery likes this.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I was editing my post while you were typing.
You have to be faster when I'm involved
temery likes this.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

edit: missed that you are getting a BB special deal.

the one thing that's been hard to get direct information about is how much content in Dolby Vision there really is, especially for streaming purposes, that I would lose switching to the Samsung.

Last edited by temery; 07-28-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
the one thing that's been hard to get direct information about is how much content in Dolby Digital there really is, especially for streaming purposes, that I would lose switching to the Samsung.
There is an immense amount of content in DD as that technology has been around a long time.

If you meant Dolby Vision, there isn't much content yet but honestly it is too early to assign any meaning to quantity of content from my perspective.
temery likes this.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You have to be faster when I'm involved

I was doing something and I wasn't on my computer.

was reading a little and got to the conclusion that he knows very well about both techs.

he only needs to make the choice.
ray0414 and temery like this.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Just think about the future. seems to me that to be on the safer side is by choosing a display that support both formats. Dolby Vision and HDR10
temery likes this.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Just think about the future. seems to me that to be on the safer side is by choosing a display that support both formats. Dolby Vision and HDR10
Im on the other side.

I don't think having dolby vision is important because hdr10 is mandated on 4k blu rays, and Netflix and amazon both support hdr10 and DV.

Only vudu is DolbyVision but they are releasing most of the content on disc in hdr10, pretty much negating the need for vudu.

So his decision should come down to other factors besides hdr content. He wants a tv to deal with Windows and a bright room. The current oled already basically failed his living room. Moving up to a 65" oled won't fix those issues even if he did have the money.
temery likes this.

Last edited by ray0414; 07-28-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
There is an immense amount of content in DD as that technology has been around a long time.

If you meant Dolby Vision, there isn't much content yet but honestly it is too early to assign any meaning to quantity of content from my perspective.
Ugh yea I meant Dolby Vision - I'll have to edit that. So basically at this point there isn't enough content to really be a major factor in this decision.

I'm just gonna buy them both, and swap back and forth to see what works best for us, and return the other. I'll come back and update on what the outcome is, incase anyone else runs into the same question
Old 07-28-2016, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Ugh yea I meant Dolby Vision - I'll have to edit that. So basically at this point there isn't enough content to really be a major factor in this decision.

I'm just gonna buy them both, and swap back and forth to see what works best for us, and return the other. I'll come back and update on what the outcome is, incase anyone else runs into the same question

I think that is the perfect choice and we look forward to hearing back what you decide.
temery likes this.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:

You sir has picked the best option ,test both pick the one that suits your needs.

both are great sets and both have their pros and cons.
temery likes this.

Last edited by losservatore; 07-28-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE:

We’ve had the KS9800 since Friday, and I have to say I think this is the right tv for me. I feel like the picture is much better than the OLED’s overall, and this is echoed by every person that had seen both TV’s. However, both TV’s were simply taken out of the box and turned on. Only minor adjustments to the settings, mostly switching between the preset ones, and with the Samsung turning the backlighting down quite a bit (this is one bright tv). Two of the people that seen both TV’s actually said they think maybe the OLED was a faulty one or something. I think part of the reason is that I don’t have a 4k signal available to test out, so we are simply watching upconverted material from my Dish receiver and the Samsung just handles it better. I do notice there seems to be too much red in the skin tone on some channels on the Dish receiver, while other channels appear great. Maybe this is just the different qualitys between the channels? Everything I have been viewing as been an HD signal – only a little SDR stuff from Netflix (borrowing my neighbors who didn’t bump up the plan to HD)

That being said, I do have some questions issues I’m hoping someone can help out with.

First – when I exchanged the TV’s I also picked up a Panamax 5100 power conditioner/surge protector and some AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI cables. The deal was too good to pass up and with the money I saved switching to the Samsung I pretty much evened out. When the Dish guys came to setup the new 4k DVR “Joey” setup, they didn’t want to pass the coax thru the Panamax, stating it could block or slow down the signal the Joey DVR sends to the other connected HDR box I have in the master bedroom. Apparently the box in the master bedroom has to connect to the Joey main DVR to access the DVR and VOD stuff, and having something between the satellite dish and the DVR box can interrupt that??? I think the guy just doesn’t know what he is doing but at that point I just wanted everything setup. I figure if this turns out to be untrue I can simply move the cord and buy a small coax to incorporate the Panamax.

One of the issues I noticed with the Samsung is that it is crazy bright, even during the day – on all settings. I had to go in and turn the “backlight” down from 20 to around 9. Does this affect the color at all or simply just the light output? Anything higher than a 9 is just way to bright at night.

Another issue – when we are watching a scene where the camera is panning slightly fast horizontally, there is a ton of juddering/jumping. I don’t see it any other time – Both my wife and I are very susceptive to the soap opera affect so anytime I’m watching a new TV I always turn all the noise settings and the like off completely. It seems I may need to try to find a good balance on this tv as turning them off completely causes this issue, but when they were on AUTO the soap opera affect was unbearable to us.

Third – I was excited to try out this new HDR+ setting – however I was very disappointed. Maybe I’ve just been watching TV wrong all these years but when I turned on that setting, everything appeared to have a very distinct yellow tint/hue. Everything. I tried adjusting things using my Disney WOW calibration disc and the HDR+ setting on – and couldn’t not achieve the “Ideal White” setting at all –even with the contrast set to 100, there was yellowish boxes visible all the way down to the “Plus 3%” area of the chart. So that makes me think this yellow tint/hue issue is not just my eyes or in my head – anyone have the same experience? Is this just that I have grown accustomed to a poor picture on my other set or something? FWIW I did not see this type of issue with the OLED under any setting.

Other than the HDR+ yellowing issue, I’ve been pretty happy with this. I have not been able to view a 4k signal yet, as the Dish 4k setup so far only offers 4k stuff from VOD, and the internet was not properly setup as of this update for me to view them. I willhopefully have time soon to try out the Disney Wow disc on the standard setting and see how that looks.

Last question, do any of the current blue ray players that “upconvert to 4k/UDH” do much more than what the TV display can do? Would it be worth me picking a model up? I’m planning to buy the Xbox S to use as my main UHD player, however I do have a large collection of blue rays so if I could benefit from an upconverting player now I would pick one up to enjoy.
ray0414 likes this.

Last edited by temery; 08-01-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
UPDATE:

We’ve had the KS9800 since Friday, and I have to say I think this is the right tv for me. I feel like the picture is much better than the OLED’s overall, and this is echoed by every person that had seen both TV’s. However, both TV’s were simply taken out of the box and turned on. Only minor adjustments to the settings, mostly switching between the preset ones, and with the Samsung turning the backlighting down quite a bit (this is one bright tv). Two of the people that seen both TV’s actually said they think maybe the OLED was a faulty one or something. I think part of the reason is that I don’t have a 4k signal available to test out, so we are simply watching upconverted material from my Dish receiver and the Samsung just handles it better. I do notice there seems to be too much red in the skin tone on some channels on the Dish receiver, while other channels appear great. Maybe this is just the different qualitys between the channels? Everything I have been viewing as been an HD signal – only a little SDR stuff from Netflix (borrowing my neighbors who didn’t bump up the plan to HD)

That being said, I do have some questions issues I’m hoping someone can help out with.

First – when I exchanged the TV’s I also picked up a Panamax 5100 power conditioner/surge protector and some AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI cables. The deal was too good to pass up and with the money I saved switching to the Samsung I pretty much evened out. When the Dish guys came to setup the new 4k DVR “Joey” setup, they didn’t want to pass the coax thru the Panamax, stating it could block or slow down the signal the Joey DVR sends to the other connected HDR box I have in the master bedroom. Apparently the box in the master bedroom has to connect to the Joey main DVR to access the DVR and VOD stuff, and having something between the satellite dish and the DVR box can interrupt that??? I think the guy just doesn’t know what he is doing but at that point I just wanted everything setup. I figure if this turns out to be untrue I can simply move the cord and buy a small coax to incorporate the Panamax.

One of the issues I noticed with the Samsung is that it is crazy bright, even during the day – on all settings. I had to go in and turn the “backlight” down from 20 to around 9. Does this affect the color at all or simply just the light output? Anything higher than a 9 is just way to bright at night.

Another issue – when we are watching a scene where the camera is panning slightly fast horizontally, there is a ton of juddering/jumping. I don’t see it any other time – Both my wife and I are very susceptive to the soap opera affect so anytime I’m watching a new TV I always turn all the noise settings and the like off completely. It seems I may need to try to find a good balance on this tv as turning them off completely causes this issue, but when they were on AUTO the soap opera affect was unbearable to us.

Third – I was excited to try out this new HDR+ setting – however I was very disappointed. Maybe I’ve just been watching TV wrong all these years but when I turned on that setting, everything appeared to have a very distinct yellow tint/hue. Everything. I tried adjusting things using my Disney WOW calibration disc and the HDR+ setting on – and couldn’t not achieve the “Ideal White” setting at all –even with the contrast set to 100, there was yellowish boxes visible all the way down to the “Plus 3%” area of the chart. So that makes me think this yellow tint/hue issue is not just my eyes or in my head – anyone have the same experience? Is this just that I have grown accustomed to a poor picture on my other set or something? FWIW I did not see this type of issue with the OLED under any setting.

Other than the HDR+ yellowing issue, I’ve been pretty happy with this. I have not been able to view a 4k signal yet, as the Dish 4k setup so far only offers 4k stuff from VOD, and the internet was not properly setup as of this update for me to view them. I willhopefully have time soon to try out the Disney Wow disc on the standard setting and see how that looks.

Last question, do any of the current blue ray players that “upconvert to 4k/UDH” do much more than what the TV display can do? Would it be worth me picking a model up? I’m planning to buy the Xbox S to use as my main UHD player, however I do have a large collection of blue rays so if I could benefit from an upconverting player now I would pick one up to enjoy.

You may want to post future questions in the ks9800 owners thread, though there aren't a whole lot of owners yet.

-turning backlight down is normal, as you said, the tv is INSANELY bright which is great for daytime bright living rooms. Turning down brightness will not affect color. Which by the way is usually good at the 45-50 setting, but you may need to go lower because the colors are very strong on this set.

-try turning judder on 2 or 3 to help with the judder/jumping.

- as for hdr+, if you don't want whites to be yellowish, make sure color tone is on standard. 1 thing I've noticed though is menu whites aren't completely white, but the whites are white during actual content. You have to be careful using hdr+ on lower sources, they sometimes don't play well together.

-I wouldn't recommend using a blu ray player to up convert right now. It would take a very high end player to up convert better than the built in scaler.

-4k netflix looks amazing on the ks9800. I would definitely advise you to at least try it out.

Also, does the tv handle reflections better than the oled?
temery likes this.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the details, I'll have try the HDR+ and see what it does with the color tone settings. I know it grays out allot of setting options though.

When you are watching Netflix in 4k, do you have to let the video load for a while to avoid buffering? the Dish guy told me if I plan to do VOD for 4k stuff from Dish, I would need to download the movie/video's THE NIGHT BEFORE I plan to watch them, as it's too much information to stream it right without letting it fully load first. It's probably worth mentioning I did a speedtest on my phone for internet and it was averaging 16mbps for a download speed, but was while I was streaming a SDR Netflix show. I have mid level TWC for internet.

The TV handles reflections much better. They are still sometimes noticeable on dark scenes, but that goes away during any brighter scenes, the TV just seems to eat them up.
ray0414 likes this.

Last edited by temery; 08-01-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thank you for the details, I'll have try the HDR+ and see what it does with the color tone settings. I know it grays out allot of setting options though.

When you are watching Netflix in 4k, do you have to let the video load for a while to avoid buffering? the Dish guy told me if I plan to do VOD for 4k stuff from Dish, I would need to download the movie/video's THE NIGHT BEFORE I plan to watch them, as it's too much information to stream it right without letting it fully load first. It's probably worth mentioning I did a speedtest on my phone for internet and it was averaging 16mbps for a download speed, but was while I was streaming a SDR Netflix show. I have mid level TWC for internet.

The TV handles reflections much better. They are still sometimes noticeable on dark scenes, but that goes away during any brighter scenes, the TV just seems to eat them up.

Netflix 4k does not require buffering, and looks excellent on this tv. There are many great shows that I would recommend with 4k netflix. 16 should be just good enough, but I think they reccomend around 20 or so.

Blacklist
Sense 8
Flaked
House of cards
Orange is the new black
Bloodline
Fuller house
Daredevil
Jessica Jones

Its quite a bargain for 11.99 a month!!

65KS9800 *new*. 65JS9500 4K HDR and lots of it!
MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN

Review of KS9800vsJS9500 w/side by side pix: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post45720113
Sponsored Links
Advertisement