OLED55C6p vs UN65KS9800 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 1 Post By ray0414
  • 1 Post By Gillietalls
  • 1 Post By losservatore
  • 1 Post By ray0414
  • 1 Post By ray0414
  • 1 Post By losservatore
  • 1 Post By ray0414
  • 1 Post By dalto
  • 1 Post By losservatore
  • 1 Post By losservatore
  • 1 Post By ray0414
  • 1 Post By losservatore
post #1 of 18 Unread Today, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OLED55C6p vs UN65KS9800

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this or not - but here goes:

I'm looking for help making a tough decision - OLED55C6p vs UN65KS9800

I recently replaced my Mitsubishi LT-46131 LCD with a LG OLED55C6P - actually just about three days ago - but I'm second guessing my purchase. I'm now considering returning and picking up the Samsung 65" KS9800 instead UN65KS9800FXZA. I'm going back and forth on the pro's and con's on these sets and am hoping for some insight from the community. I'll give more details here.

First off, I work for BB and with the accommodation vs employee discount for these sets, I can have either set for ~2000 - so the end price will be the same, actually the Samsung will prob be a little cheaper. I do not get nearly the same discount for the 65" version of the LG OLED so that's not in the mix.

We primary will use this TV for watching TV, DVR, streaming shows and movies. I do plan to pick up the new Xbox one S when it comes out so at that point I will also plan to use the HDR gaming and UHD discs.

Onto why I'm considering this:

After getting the OLED out of the box and on the stand, the first issue that came up was the reflections of the window and light in the room. Unfortunately, there is no way to rearrange the room to fix the issues - the tv is in a corner and there is a light diaganol across (about 15-20ft) and a large window behind the seating area. Both of these reflect light on the top of the screen, which due to the curve spreads across entire top 1/3 of the screen.

The second issue is that I was pretty disappointed that the TV didn't appear much bigger to me. The old TV was a 47", but had a pretty thick benzel around it, so they essentially take up the same footprint. I was really hoping for that "wow that's a bigger tv" sort of factor along with the upgraded PQ. I have a 160" projector setup in my basement so I've always liked bigger, and I always felt the 47" was small for the room (it took a bit to convince the wife but she agreed when we got the 55" setup, that maybe 65" would have been the way to go)

The third issue was that I was just underwhelmed by the picture. I know this will probably change when I stop viewing Dish's 1080i signal - they are coming out in 2 days with the Joey 4k dvr setup, so hopefully I will be wow'd. I have yet to hook up a blue ray player to it to see how that looks - we honestly don't watch many blue rays in the living room, that is reserved for the projector. I played with the settings a little, but I don't know much of what I'm doing. I tried the preset settings on the TV but haven't found anything that looks like what I was expecting. I won't have either TV calibrated, so if that factors in keep that in mind. I do have a Disney WOW calibration disc that I could use, but being that it wasn't designed for 4k or HDR, I'm not sure how effective it would be.

This led me to look at the Samsung KS9800. Like I said both TV's will end up costing about the same amount - and I read that the Samsung handles glare issues better due to the Motheye, and of course, I'd be getting 10" more tv, which I really like the idea of. The thing that worries me the most about the Samsung is the lack of Dolby Vision. I like the idea that the LG is more future proof, and can handle content from both formats. Since the majority of what we will watch is going to be streaming or from the Dish 4k cable box, will this be an issue? When I read up on the HDR 10 vs Dolby Vision it seems that Dolby Vision is going to be more prevalent with the streaming apps, and I don't want to be kicking myself later for giving up that option. For those that have been streaming like this, is there mostly Dolby Vision content or is there really not enough of it out there for it to be a deciding factor?

Will either TV have any issues with 4k HDR gaming when the new Scorpio and Playstation 4.5/NEO are released, IF they offer that feature? or will either be an issue for utilizing the XBOX ONE S which I think when games in HDR does it at 1080p however plays 4k HDR UHD discs.

Thanks for taking the time to view this and I appreciate any input. I have about 11-12 days to return the OLED if that's my decision, so I have to make a decision soon.

Also, I heard mentioned a few times that some TV's need a "break in period"... is this true for these TV's, would I see a change after a while of use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Unread Today, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 7713 Post(s)
Liked: 5682
The extra brightness and anti glare will help alot. What's the viewing angle situation? Wide angles or straight on?
temery likes this.
post #3 of 18 Unread Today, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Size will make a difference too. Number one buyer's remorse is not going with the bigger tv.
temery likes this.

Sony 75x850C, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, Samsung 55HU9000, LG 55UB8200
Samsung UBD-K8500, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, XBox One, Wii U, Playstation 3
post #4 of 18 Unread Today, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
The extra brightness and anti glare will help alot. What's the viewing angle situation? Wide angles or straight on?
most of the viewing will be straight on however we do have some seating that is to the on the side... i'll show a pic to give an example. I forgot about the viewing angle issues of an LCD vs OLED.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv setup.png
Views:	9
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	1569449  
post #5 of 18 Unread Today, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 1498
seems like you pretty much know the pros and cons of each tech and you have been doing the research.

edit: missed that you are getting a BB special deal.
temery likes this.

Living Room:65" LG Oled B6 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 / 2 PSA XS30 / Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Performa M105 Surrounds / Sonos Connect ....Bedroom : 50" Vizio P /Sonos playbar /Sonos play 1 surrounds.

Last edited by losservatore; Today at 12:06 PM.
post #6 of 18 Unread Today, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temery View Post
most of the viewing will be straight on however we do have some seating that is to the on the side... i'll show a pic to give an example. I forgot about the viewing angle issues of an LCD vs OLED.

Doesn't look bad. If needed, you can angle the tv towards the 2 main seating positions. But the ks9800 viewing angles are slightly better than previous samsungs and slightly better than the average lcd tv, even if only by a couple feet. For the price you're paying, I would give it a try. That's a darn good deal and it's much easier to deal with the minor issues of the tv at that price.
temery likes this.
post #7 of 18 Unread Today, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
seems like you pretty much know the pros and cons of each tech and you have been doing the research.

My reccomendation is to check chris from Cleveland plasma he is an avs sponsor and can get you a 65" oled for around the price of the 55" that you see on BB.

I got mine from him.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/member...nd-plasma.html

He gets a discount from Best buy, much cheaper than what Chris can offer. Also, a cheaper price doesn't magically make reflections go away. But moth eye does
temery likes this.
post #8 of 18 Unread Today, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
He gets a discount from Best buy, much cheaper than what Chris can offer. Also, a cheaper price doesn't magically make reflections go away. But moth eye does

I was editing my post while you were typing.
temery likes this.

Living Room:65" LG Oled B6 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 / 2 PSA XS30 / Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Performa M105 Surrounds / Sonos Connect ....Bedroom : 50" Vizio P /Sonos playbar /Sonos play 1 surrounds.
post #9 of 18 Unread Today, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I was editing my post while you were typing.
You have to be faster when I'm involved
temery likes this.
post #10 of 18 Unread Today, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

edit: missed that you are getting a BB special deal.

the one thing that's been hard to get direct information about is how much content in Dolby Vision there really is, especially for streaming purposes, that I would lose switching to the Samsung.

Last edited by temery; Today at 01:24 PM.
post #11 of 18 Unread Today, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
the one thing that's been hard to get direct information about is how much content in Dolby Digital there really is, especially for streaming purposes, that I would lose switching to the Samsung.
There is an immense amount of content in DD as that technology has been around a long time.

If you meant Dolby Vision, there isn't much content yet but honestly it is too early to assign any meaning to quantity of content from my perspective.
temery likes this.
post #12 of 18 Unread Today, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You have to be faster when I'm involved

I was doing something and I wasn't on my computer.

was reading a little and got to the conclusion that he knows very well about both techs.

he only needs to make the choice.
temery likes this.

post #13 of 18 Unread Today, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Just think about the future. seems to me that to be on the safer side is by choosing a display that support both formats. Dolby Vision and HDR10
temery likes this.

post #14 of 18 Unread Today, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Just think about the future. seems to me that to be on the safer side is by choosing a display that support both formats. Dolby Vision and HDR10
Im on the other side.

I don't think having dolby vision is important because hdr10 is mandated on 4k blu rays, and Netflix and amazon both support hdr10 and DV.

Only vudu is DolbyVision but they are releasing most of the content on disc in hdr10, pretty much negating the need for vudu.

So his decision should come down to other factors besides hdr content. He wants a tv to deal with Windows and a bright room. The current oled already basically failed his living room. Moving up to a 65" oled won't fix those issues even if he did have the money.
temery likes this.

Last edited by ray0414; Today at 01:14 PM.
post #15 of 18 Unread Today, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Im on the other side.

I don't think having dolby vision is important because hdr10 is mandated on 4k blu rays, and Netflix and amazon both support hdr10 and DV.

Only vudu is DolbyVision but they are releasing most of the content on disc in hdr10, pretty much negating the need for vudu.

So his decision should come down to other factors besides hdr content. He wants side, deals with Windows and a bright room. The current oled already basically failed his living room. Moving up to a 65" oled won't fix those issues even if he did have the money.

Things change pretty quick and I'm pretty sure that will see dolby vision on 4k blu rays and dolby vision 4k BD players.

HDR10 may be mandate but an incomplete format. no Dynamic and rumors say that we need 2.1 and that will require a new hardware to send the HDR10 dynamic metadata. The calibration for HDR10 displays is still in beta stage.

is your choice and size matter too.
temery likes this.

Last edited by losservatore; Today at 01:38 PM.
post #16 of 18 Unread Today, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
There is an immense amount of content in DD as that technology has been around a long time.

If you meant Dolby Vision, there isn't much content yet but honestly it is too early to assign any meaning to quantity of content from my perspective.
Ugh yea I meant Dolby Vision - I'll have to edit that. So basically at this point there isn't enough content to really be a major factor in this decision.

I'm just gonna buy them both, and swap back and forth to see what works best for us, and return the other. I'll come back and update on what the outcome is, incase anyone else runs into the same question
post #17 of 18 Unread Today, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Ugh yea I meant Dolby Vision - I'll have to edit that. So basically at this point there isn't enough content to really be a major factor in this decision.

I'm just gonna buy them both, and swap back and forth to see what works best for us, and return the other. I'll come back and update on what the outcome is, incase anyone else runs into the same question

I think that is the perfect choice and we look forward to hearing back what you decide.
post #18 of 18 Unread Today, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:

You sir has picked the best option ,test both pick the one that suits your needs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays