how to determine viewing angles? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 07-29-2016, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 13
how to determine viewing angles?

I'm in the (long and drawn out) process of choosing a new TV. I'm trying to determine how wide of a viewing angle I will need and am a little uncertain on how to do so. I currently have a 65" DLP, 11 feet from my couch which is directly across. I sit in exactly in the middle. However, a couple feet to the left of my couch, angled towards the TV, I have an armchair that is typically used by my wife, my kids, or any guests we have in the house.

One of the TVs I'm considering, for example, is the 70" Vizio M Series. Rtings publishes a viewing angle of 20 degrees. The TV is roughly 61" wide. If I measure the angle from the edge of the set, when placed where my current set is, the angle is approximately 23 degrees to that chair. If I measure from the center of the set, the angle would be 31 degrees. Which is the correct way to measure?

Either way, the angle is beyond the 20 degrees they rated it at. But I might be able to tolerate the 3 degree difference if from the side. If 31 degrees, though, probably not. And would a FALD set like, the Vizio P or M, have the lighting array noticeable from off to the side at either angle?

I'd prefer a VA panel, but that is one of the main seats in my living room, so I'd guess I'd go with an IPS if had to. My guess is either would be a picture quality upgrade over my DLP in most regards.

Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page