AVS Forum banner

What would you do Vizio/Sony

317 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Kobrinl 
#1 ·
I have a Sony W900a in my Den and I was originally going up upgrade to a 65inch. I was going to move the Sony into kids game room. I already have a 40inch Toshiba for games. I would use the Sony to watch TV/movies. My issues are the 65 is a little big for the Den and it would overhang the existing stand slightly. Plus the wife is always watching in the Den.

Then I started to think about purchasing a P50 for the game room to have the latest and greatest. We only sit about 8 feet from the TV in Den. Then I started to read reviews and now thinking about the Sony 930D 55 inch set. For the record I have a Vizio E series in my bedroom and I am very happy with it.

So if you were in my shoes, would you go for the Sony 55 or Video P50?

#6 ·
If you were going a little bigger, the choice would be easier. I would say Vizio because the P series is a FALD, while Sony only makes FALD in 65" and up. At 50" though it's tougher. The 50" P series is FALD and also has really low input lag for gaming (not that Sony isn't great with lag too), but the 50" model is the only one in the P series that is a 60hz panel as opposed to 120hz, which can affect motion. You would get better blacks from the P and they also have a lot of features for the price like Dolby Vision. There is also a little more luck involved with getting a pristine panel from the P series than other displays based on the P Series owner's thread.

Have you considered the P Series 55"? It is a 120hz panel. It's IPS, so the blacks won't be as good as the other P series sizes, but it is still FALD and likely will give better blacks and black uniformity than one of the Sony's still.

If it were me, I'd go bigger and get a 65". You would have a lot more choices, and better choices, in that range, if the budget allows of course, like the Vizio P65, The Sony Z9 65", or one of the LG OLEDs. If that just won't work, then I'd probably look long and hard at the 55" sony you want and compare it to a P55 if you're able to and pick one of them.

#7 ·
Thanks for everyone's responses. I am leaning toward getting the 55inch set. I am more interested in accurate colors than better blacks. I am also not sure about the having to use the Vizio tablet and no tuner. With Hurricane Sandy having the tuner was a life saver. The Sony's Z9 is a budget buster for me. I am leaning toward the Sony 930. Need to check out the sets at Best Buy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.