Motionflow settings in 50W755c - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-12-2016, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Motionflow settings in 50W755c

Hi,

Last Saturday i bought Sony KDL 50W755c. I'm trying different picture settings and I noticed one thing about Motionflow. Personally I like the "soap opera effect" and the way motion seems smooth but I noticed that sometimes during scenes with fast movement picture sometimes stutters. Motionflow has 5 settings: smooth, standard (this one I use), clear (seems to have less stuttering), truecinema and off. Is it normal or just I do something wrong?

Oh and btw: what settings in general do you recommend for movies/tv ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-12-2016, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 825
What MotionFlow does is smoothing, artificial frames inbetween real frames to make motion smoother. Exept for Clear which is smoothing/BlackFrameInsertion (puts artificial frames and black frames inbetween real frames).

When watching stuff like blu-ray movies one should keep the 24 Frames Per Second movie look intact and avoid smoothing. When watching a blu-ray i would start with MotionFlow options turned off and check out True Cinema on/off and FilmMode.

Sony used to have Film Mode 1 and 2.
Film Mode 1
telecining ''and take aditional steps to make the imago as close to the Original film as possible'' + some aditional ''adaptive prediction'' (motion smoothing).
Film Mode 2
telecining ''and take aditional steps to make the imago as close to the Original film as possible'' without some aditional ''adaptive prediction'' (motion smoothing).

You are not just dealing with these motion option there is also the source. Best is a clean source like blu-ray which will give the best motion. When motion sucks in the source it ain't gonna get much better..
post #3 of 6 Old 09-12-2016, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well turns out I'm dumb. It wasn't the tv that caused the stuttering, but my slow ass laptop. I switched to my girlfriend's one and it work's like a charm now. Clear mode is ok, but it's a little bit too dark. I will try truecinema or motionflow off to see how it works.

There are 3 film modes: low/med/high. I'm using the medium one which is described as:

High: Process IP (Interlaced-Progressive) conversions appropriate for a wide selection of video formats, with additional frame compensation to remove judder
Medium: Process IP (Interlaced-Progressive) conversions appropriate for movies and computer graphics, with additional frame compensation to remove judder
Low: Process IP (Interlaced-Progressive) conversions appropriate for movies and computer graphics.

Currently I'm using custom settings with Motionflow set to custom: smooth 3, clear 1, and Film Mode set to High. It's ok but sometimes I get the feeling that during fast scenes it looses it's smoothnes. I'm also trying out Motionflow turned off and Film Mode set to High, which is also smoother than regular picture but seems more stable. To be hones I cannot decide which one is better...

I tried the predefines settings "Cinema Pro" but colors are too dull and it's not bright enough I think. Maybe one of you guys have some cool, tested settings?

post #4 of 6 Old 09-13-2016, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Just for future reference - I think I found the best settings for me.

1) Movies, mainly in the evening, night:

Picture Mode - Custom
Auto Picture Mode - off
Brightness - Max
Contrast - Max
Gamma - 0
Black Level - 50
Black adjust - off
Adv. contrast enhancer - off
Color - 58
Hue - 0
Color Temperature - Neutral
Adv. color temperature - nothing changed
Live color - max
Sharpness - 50
Reality Creation - Auto
Resoltion - auto
Random noise reduction - off
Digital noise reduction - off
Motionflow - custom
Smoothness - 3
Clearness - 2
Film mode - High

2) TV, often during day.

Same as the above witch changes in:

Brightness - 30
Color - 50
Live color - medium
Motionflow - custom
Smoothness - 2
Clearness - 1
Film mode - High

The higher the clearness level, the darker the screen gets hence the second setup is a little bit changed (brighter) since I watch tv mainly during day. As for the setup 1 I'm still figuring out whether I preffer smoother, but darker picture or brighter but a little bit less smooth.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-13-2016, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray is Progressive so you do not need film mode when watching blu-ray stuff.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-13-2016, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray is Progressive so you do not need film mode when watching blu-ray stuff.
Noted. I watch mkv blu-ray rips more often though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread