Sony 940D -- Who has a smearing (trailing) issue? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #1 of 172 Old 10-15-2016, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 966
Sony 940D -- Who has a smearing (trailing) issue?

My 940D has a serious "smearing" or trailing problem. I'm interesting in finding out how many owners, who are members of this forum, are also having an issue. Smearing or trailing looks like shock waves or ripples pulsating from out behind a dark moving object against a lighter background and then it starts all over again with another moving object against a lighter background.

Apparently Sony is claiming this is a software issue; however, lots of 940D T.V.s don't have a smearing problem so it's hard to believe that this is the case.

Anyway, if you're experiencing this problem please post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 172 Old 10-15-2016, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I see this on my set. The Jamie Foxx Verizon commercial is a great way to see it. Near the end of the commercial when Jamie walks off screen you can see trails from his suit. Others have posted youtube videos which clearly demonstrate it as well, e.g.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 172 Old 10-15-2016, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salavs View Post
I see this on my set. The Jamie Foxx Verizon commercial is a great way to see it. Near the end of the commercial when Jamie walks off screen you can see trails from his suit. Others have posted youtube videos which clearly demonstrate it as well, e.g. https://youtu.be/QkWE94l-txI

When I watch this video I see a long trail behind the dot. It's really bad and I do mean bad, terrible, horrendous.

post #4 of 172 Old 10-15-2016, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 33
It's worth noting that my Nexus 6p also shows a small, slight trail, but yes, the TV is much worse. I'm hoping to compare on another few sets with the same video this weekend.

post #5 of 172 Old 10-15-2016, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I had it. Hockey was bad, teen titans go on Cartoon Network was the worst with my kids (check out robins eyes). I had to return the set.
post #6 of 172 Old 10-16-2016, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Was this a problem with the previous model ?
post #7 of 172 Old 10-16-2016, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner23 View Post
Was this a problem with the previous model ?
No idea. I've never heard of the 940C having a smearing (trailing issue). I wish I'd purchased the 940C instead but my Best Buy had sold the last one when the 940Ds arrived.

Here's a quote from zAndy1 over a AVForums about his 940D:

"Yes the smearing, showed him The Force Awakens chapter 15 scene (Marooned on Jaku) where Fin gets up and turns his back to the camera and the dark spot on his back shows awful smearing. Also quite a few other scenes, one from Great British Menu and the F1 quali at the weekend. He could quite clearly see it and nobody can say it's normal or acceptable."

Last edited by Deja Vu; 10-16-2016 at 11:02 AM.
post #8 of 172 Old 10-16-2016, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
My 940D has a serious "smearing" or trailing problem. I'm interesting in finding out how many owners, who are members of this forum, are also having an issue. Smearing or trailing looks like shock waves or ripples pulsating from out behind a dark moving object against a lighter background and then it starts all over again with another moving object against a lighter background.

Apparently Sony is claiming this is a software issue; however, lots of 940D T.V.s don't have a smearing problem so it's hard to believe that this is the case.

Sony said there would be an update to fix this? Can't find this anywhere else. Can you confirm?
post #9 of 172 Old 10-17-2016, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencreus View Post
Sony said there would be an update to fix this? Can't find this anywhere else. Can you confirm?
Here's another quote from zAndy1, where he mentions Sony saying it was a software issue:

"Well despite having an engineer out who said my screen was clearly faulty and confirming that to JL Sony are still maintaining it's a software issue, JL rang me with this news yesterday asking for the firmware version I'm using and that it should be 3.509 which it is, it was too late for them to go back to Sony with that info last night so they're going to do that today and get back to me. It's a complete and utter farce..."

What I find interesting is that there are all kinds of people who have said that they too have a 940D smearing issue in other threads (940D thread, the "Z" thread etc.) and yet, they seem to be afraid to post here for some reason. We need to let Sony know that a large number of their 940D T.V.s have a serious issue that needs to be addressed!

Last edited by Deja Vu; 10-17-2016 at 12:13 PM.
post #10 of 172 Old 11-13-2016, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just purchased the 940d but will be picking it up this week. In all of your opinion, is this issue so detrimental that it would potentially make you want to return the TV?
I am however in a unique situation as I found a 940D in the clearance section of local retailer, being returned due to the previous buyer not liking the picture (maybe from this problem), and got it at an extremely good price. I know the other forum says no price talk but it must be considered here because of the deal and whether you feel the blurring outweighs the benefit of the cost I got it at.

2189.99 for TV which had to be purchased with a protection plan to get the price which was 459.99 for 5 years so 2649.94 with 5 years plus tax at 2835 out the door!
post #11 of 172 Old 11-13-2016, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Sony sent me a new replacement T.V. and it has the same smearing issue. I have done some more experimentation and setting Motion Flow to Standard and Cinemotion to low helps a lot. Just about everything else is set to off. Maybe I'm just super sensitive to this issue but I can only conclude that most of these panels show this problem and owners are either in denial or luckily don't see it. At its worst it looks like a shock wave pulsating out from a moving object against a lighter background -- for me very, very distracting. Animation is pretty much impossible to watch. The motorcycle scene in MI5 is also pretty bad. With the above-noted settings it is much improved to the point that it is 98% gone.

Prior to owning the 940D I was completely ignorant about this issue. I'll never but another T.V. with this problem -- how did Sony not know?
post #12 of 172 Old 11-14-2016, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Guarantee that its slow pixel response, qnd nothing they do will fix it other than get a different model with faster response time.

Saying this as someone incredibly senstitive to blur/trails.

I suggest when buying TVs to read up on rtings review of them, specifically in the motion blur section. Ideally around 15ms pixel response or less. The higher the number, the more the trail will show.

Also, make sure when you read the reviews, you stick to the size they reviewed, because in my experience, I bought a TV of a different size from their review unit which had much, much worse response time.
Quad5Ny likes this.

Mad Lust Envy

Last edited by Raven Crimson; 11-14-2016 at 04:59 AM.
post #13 of 172 Old 11-21-2016, 08:04 PM

Sony 940D -- Who has a smearing (trailing) issue?

I got a 75 x940d on bbuy this weekend, and indeed it has the smearing on the black dot. Wondering, do we have anyone with this tv that doesn't see the problem? I'm still hoping for a fw update fix.. I can't believe the panel would be that bad...

Also wondering what are people replacing this tv with. Samsung with local dimming is way pricier and p75 impossible to find...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Fernando Caprio; 11-21-2016 at 08:07 PM.
post #14 of 172 Old 11-22-2016, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Hi - saw this thread mentioned in the owner's thread so though I would chime in. My set does have the smearing issue, because I see it in those youtube videos with the moving dot/text, but I don't see the issue arise in watching regular content. There have been a handful of cases in which I do see the issue, but is very rare. I have had my set now for over 6 months and have watched many hours of Netflix, cable, and 4K movies which I have made from my own camera, and I am still blown away at the picture quality (upgraded from a 58" plasma). None of my family have ever commented on this, but I admit, I am more of a critical viewer than they are. I also have had other people over to watch the set, and also got no comments about smearing. One of my friends is also more critical about picture quality issues, and he has not seen the smearing either. I wonder, could it be that some people are more susceptible to seeing it than others? I have brought up in the past in the owner's forum about comparing this to the DLP color wheel rainbow effect that certain people could see.

Over to Sony (as well as any major manufacturer for that matter), I don't think they will acknowledge the issue, or if so - will be in very limited cases. It is also strange how quick they released the Z9D series so soon after the 940 came out. Saying all this, I stand behind the set and am continued to be amazed with the picture quality. Especially considering now how much cheaper the set is, in today's prices; this is a super value! The 940d ain't perfect, but when I was researching tv's, it seemed every manufacturer/model had some issue. The 940 covered my bases, and if I had to make the purchasing decision again today, I would still buy this set.
post #15 of 172 Old 11-22-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Caprio View Post
I got a 75 x940d on bbuy this weekend, and indeed it has the smearing on the black dot. Wondering, do we have anyone with this tv that doesn't see the problem? I'm still hoping for a fw update fix.. I can't believe the panel would be that bad...

Also wondering what are people replacing this tv with. Samsung with local dimming is way pricier and p75 impossible to find...

My opinion, is that a firmware fix will not remedy the issue - I suspect it is probably due to the panel Sony used. For other manufacturer's models, you bring up a good point: for 75" (and larger), what else is out there? For Sammy, the only FALD set is the 9800. OLED at that size is way, way more expensive.

Try and watch some regular content and see how much it bothers you, or if you even notice it at all... The black levels and motion handling on this are incredible IMO. Good luck, hope this works out for you.
Fernando Caprio likes this.
post #16 of 172 Old 11-22-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi123 View Post
My opinion, is that a firmware fix will not remedy the issue - I suspect it is probably due to the panel Sony used. For other manufacturer's models, you bring up a good point: for 75" (and larger), what else is out there? For Sammy, the only FALD set is the 9800. OLED at that size is way, way more expensive.

Try and watch some regular content and see how much it bothers you, or if you even notice it at all... The black levels and motion handling on this are incredible IMO. Good luck, hope this works out for you.

TrueCinema suggestion made it way better. It's a light trail now. And you're right, so far haven't seen anything while watching movies. Curious about PS4 pro... thanks!

hifi123 likes this.
post #17 of 172 Old 11-22-2016, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I got the TV installed last Friday.
Smearing shows up a bit in the moving dot video, but I've not seen it while watching anything else.
Is there anything else I can play where smearing shows up?
post #18 of 172 Old 11-22-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohyn View Post
I got the TV installed last Friday.
Smearing shows up a bit in the moving dot video, but I've not seen it while watching anything else.
Is there anything else I can play where smearing shows up?
If you don't see it while watching regular content (like myself, and I suspect many others as well), why go looking for it?
tjcinnamon and GATABITES like this.
post #19 of 172 Old 11-22-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi123 View Post
If you don't see it while watching regular content (like myself, and I suspect many others as well), why go looking for it?

I guess the point is just figuring out if something is defective that could be replaced with the warranty or if all units are like that. I'm leaning towards the thought it doesn't affect most of the stuff and it's very hard to see in movies - but again, if the panel is defective no reason not to change it. If everyone gets similar results, a bit of trailing, then ok.

hifi123 likes this.
post #20 of 172 Old 11-22-2016, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 5
There is never smearing on x940c
post #21 of 172 Old 11-23-2016, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The smearing is really apparent with anime, and seems most obvious when there's dark lines on a white region. Search on YouTube for "Bananya - Ep 1" by Crunchyroll (I can't post links due to lack of posts), and seek to 0:23. The cat's facial expression will leave a pink trail lasting around 100ms as it changes. If you pause the video, the trail will disappear while it's paused, which makes me agree with previous comments in the thread about it being a deeper hardware issue that can't be fixed with a firmware update. The pixels just can't seem to flip quickly between dark to light.

The TV seems great for non-anime, but unfortunately this smearing might be a deal breaker for me since I plan on watching a lot of anime. The worst has been in Bananya and Bakemonogatari, but I've also seen it in Shinsekai Yori and Kill la Kill.
post #22 of 172 Old 11-23-2016, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I see the smearing on mine. Not as bad as the video posted by someone in the owner's thread where there was some serious smearing going on. You know what show will test your smearing big time? If you have HBO, watch VICE NEWS. A lot of black text on white backgrounds. A lot of moving texts and icons. It will also test the uniformity of your screen. I turn off all motion smoothers usually. But even when on, I still saw smearing.

Hockey, I see no smearing of the puck. I wonder why.

One bad issue is whenever the camera does a quick pan of an area , there is a slight jittery effect like the TV cannot keep up with the pan and then catches up. The judder is not as bad as the one put up by an poster in the owner's thread. Still, it is annoying as I don';t recall such a problem on the plasmas. Is this an issue wth all LEDs regardless of manufacturer? I noticed that four or five times already in an hour of TV viewing. That's not good. Is that a function of it being a huge screen or is that a fault of the TV? I never noticed such a problem with my 65 inch panny plasma.

Last edited by mantar; 11-23-2016 at 03:57 AM.
post #23 of 172 Old 12-01-2016, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
The reason I found this thread is because I bought this TV a few days ago, and at some point on my Xbox One opened up Internet Explorer/Microsoft Edge. When scrolling up and down on the xbox.com website (I think), it was text and images against a white screen. That was the first time I had ever seen ghosting/smearing in my life, but I instantly recognized what it was. I was concerned I might get ghosting while playing games, but I booted up a variety of Xbox One games (Skyrim, Rainbow Six Siege, Banjo Kazooie on Xbox Arcade, Titanfall)...I didn't see any ghosting or smearing. Or at least I didn't notice it. I also felt like the response times were great and very playable. Granted, those games did not have instances of dark objects appearing on a very white background, so I couldn't tell.

I also watched a bunch of Netflix, YouTube, and 1080p cable TV, and did not notice any smearing. However, the nature of the content was such that it probably didn't have many (or any) instances where one would notice, i.e. dark images over a light or white background.

After seeing this thread, I went ahead and viewed some of the videos you all shared:

1) Verizon | Jamie Foxx - "Limited" on YouTube. I could see a bit of ghosting at the end where, if the black suit quickly disappeared from the screen, some black color would be left on the screen for a fraction of a second. I also could see some text ghosting away towards the end of the video.

2) Moving Dot Motion Blur Test on YouTube. I got similar results to what someone else posted. I went to Advanced Settings->Motion and turned MotionFlow to Standard and CineMotion to Low, but I didn't notice a difference in smearing effect. I normally prefer MotionFlow to OFF, because I prefer the way TV and movies look with it off (as they were seemingly intended, rather than ultra smooth which in my opinion makes it look like a home video).

3) I watched the Bananya - Ep 1 video on YouTube. I did indeed notice one or two brief moments of smearing when the video switched from the banana to the cat and then bubbles or something appeared. Oddly enough, after watching it a 2nd and third time, I no longer saw the effect. Maybe I became immune to it? I just couldn't notice it as much at all.

Time will tell how annoying this feature is...so far I haven't noticed it during actual normal use (except for the internet explorer on xbox one). Not sure I'd notice it even if I went looking for in normal use....
post #24 of 172 Old 12-01-2016, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I was planning on ordering a 940d on Saturday but wasn't aware of this issue. Should I hold off?
post #25 of 172 Old 12-01-2016, 11:06 PM

So far, this has been a complete non-issue in actual usage. I bought this TV because it was the highest performing 75" TV (without paying $20,000 for LG's 77" OLED, haha)... Before buying it I brought my laptop to Fry's electronics and repeatedly compared this to other TVs (namely the xbr75x850D)...The black levels and picture quality on this TV are remarkable. Movies look great, games look great, YouTube looks great, Netflix looks great, streaming digital cable looks great.

My assessment is that if all this looks great, and smearing/ghosting has not been an issue when playing first person shooters, then it should not be a problem. However, it would be nice to see this issue gone for emotional satisfaction, knowing that it is flawless without issues in even the most nitpickiest of instances.

Nevertheless, I think this is the best 75" TV choice and the picture looks fantastic.

Perhaps the ultimate question: Would I go and buy this TV today after having read this thread?
Answer: I would go and test it out myself at the store with my own content, and ultimately conclude that yes, I would buy it.
brickyardz likes this.
post #26 of 172 Old 12-05-2016, 02:39 PM

Quick update, since I've had this TV for a week now...was watching TV and there were a few commercials that had multiple moments with an all white background. Smearing was readily apparent. I really like the picture quality of this TV, so I hope this issue can be fixed. Thankfully, there aren't too many situations where one seems such a predominantly white background, but there are enough that I think this smearing issue needs to be fixed.
  • TV Commercials
  • Anime Video
  • CGI/Graphic related scenes or work
  • Presentations where one is drawing or demonstrating something by projecting a PowerPoint or whiteboard onto the TV
  • Browsing the internet via mirrored smartphone screen, Xbox, PS4, etc.
  • etc

(FYI my TV's settings are the "Standard" default settings, with the exception that I adjusted Advanced Settings->Motion and turned MotionFlow to OFF.)
post #27 of 172 Old 12-13-2016, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Update for you guys: spoke with a Sony rep at BB and he said to change picture setting on cartoons like family guy to 'Animation"

Makes world of a difference and looks great. Smearing almost not noticeable.
post #28 of 172 Old 12-18-2016, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Tried the anime setting and my smearing issue isn't any better. I think some TVs have it worse than others?
post #29 of 172 Old 12-18-2016, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Some do have it more than others. I just got mine a week ago so it's a very recent build date. I tried the black dot test and it's certainly not as good as I'd like but it's better than a lot of others I've seen. Watching actual content it's been a non issue though.
post #30 of 172 Old 12-19-2016, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm torn on what to do. I LOVE the TV as far as looking amazing with 4k HDR content, but the smearing/ghosting is SUPER annoying. My wife and I have been watching Christmas movies, and we watched the Classic Frosty The Snow Man on Bluray.. Ghosting was AWFUL. I read in the 940D owners thread that apparently Sony claimed this to be a software issue (Though I am not sure if that was official. But I am limited on options.. I don't want to go to a 65 inch OLED since I am used to the 75 and it would seem really small. I already tried the Vizio P75 and it had numerous issues. The lg 75 apparently doesn't do black levels very well, so the only affordable option would be for me to go to the Samsung ks9000 IF it were to drop in price, but then I would have an edge lit set.. I REALLY hope this issue can be resolved and is not passed off as normal, since NONE of my other LED tvs have had this issue. Sigh...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page