Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-22-2016, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Refresh rate vs HD/4K?

How important is refresh rate, really?

I currently have a 50" Samsung HD with a clear motion rate 240 hz refresh rate (so really 120 hz). I'd like to move up to a 60", but it seems unless you're willing to cough up big time $$$, the best you can get is a clear motion (or whatever it's called for other brands) 120 hz (so really 60 hz). I can't justify coughing up $1000+ for a tv at the moment, so I'd be getting a 60", 4K UHD, with a 60 hz native (upscaled to 120 hz with software). As it is, I turn off the clear motion in our current Samsung because we don't like the "soap opera" effect. I watch plenty of live sports and have never noticed any blurring.

So, my question: am I better of sticking with a smaller, regular HD that has a native refresh of 120 hz, or is it worth getting a lower end Samsung or LG that's 60", 4K UHD but only has a 60 hz native refresh rate?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-22-2016, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgod879 View Post
How important is refresh rate, really?

I currently have a 50" Samsung HD with a clear motion rate 240 hz refresh rate (so really 120 hz). I'd like to move up to a 60", but it seems unless you're willing to cough up big time $$$, the best you can get is a clear motion (or whatever it's called for other brands) 120 hz (so really 60 hz). I can't justify coughing up $1000+ for a tv at the moment, so I'd be getting a 60", 4K UHD, with a 60 hz native (upscaled to 120 hz with software). As it is, I turn off the clear motion in our current Samsung because we don't like the "soap opera" effect. I watch plenty of live sports and have never noticed any blurring.

So, my question: am I better of sticking with a smaller, regular HD that has a native refresh of 120 hz, or is it worth getting a lower end Samsung or LG that's 60", 4K UHD but only has a 60 hz native refresh rate?

TIA
EDIT: "...the best you can get in a 4K UHD..."
post #3 of 3 Old 11-22-2016, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 284
i can tell you first hand that unless you want to be real nitpicky about a small amount of judder the mid range 60 hz samsung ku6300 handles motion real well... it's great for sports.. idk (firsthand) how it will fare for gaming , but i hear it's fine...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page