Does i1D3 work properly with modern displays like my KS7500? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-10-2016, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Does i1D3 work properly with modern displays like my KS7500?

*edit* Aw crap, I meant to post this in Display Calibration section. Mods, can you move this?

I have been trying to calibrate my KS7500 (same as KS8500 in USA) for some time now, adjusting greyscale and gamma and finally making a 3DLUT file for movie watching or gaming and so on. But I am never satisfied with the result. The resulting picture just seems... off. I did not have this problem with my previous old Sony TV where the improvement was obvious (except for the clipped reds but that was the problem with the TV gamut size). I realised that the Display Pro does lack proper corrections for Quantum Dots so I did search around Google to see if this is the problem and at Curtpalme.com forums in the stickies it was said that "Display 3 has no special difficulty accurately reading a Quantum Dot display, at least of the Samsung variety. Even without the PRO correction (product they sell) the Display 3 errors are not huge (around 0.006, or 2.7 CIE94)". On the other hand there was this huge ass thread in this very forum where people did discuss how the new Quantum Dot backlights scew up the readings of Display Pro but it quickly delved into depths which start to go over the head of a mere hobbyist calibrator like me, so it was left unclear to me if the modern displays do cause a problem for i1D3 and trying to calibrate the screen with it will cause the picture go even further away from accurate. This error might even become more severe when creating a 3Dlut since individual colors from over 1000 samples come into play and moved around too, not just greyscale and gamma?

Or am I making a bigger deal out of it than it really is? The need for spectrophotometer corrections come to play only for those who strive for perfection and not for those who just want colors in somewhat accurate ballpark and gamma follow nicely the desired curve? Is the resulting picture that seemed off just in my head and I just needed to get used to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-10-2016, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus View Post
*edit* Aw crap, I meant to post this in Display Calibration section. Mods, can you move this?

I have been trying to calibrate my KS7500 (same as KS8500 in USA) for some time now, adjusting greyscale and gamma and finally making a 3DLUT file for movie watching or gaming and so on. But I am never satisfied with the result. The resulting picture just seems... off. I did not have this problem with my previous old Sony TV where the improvement was obvious (except for the clipped reds but that was the problem with the TV gamut size). I realised that the Display Pro does lack proper corrections for Quantum Dots so I did search around Google to see if this is the problem and at Curtpalme.com forums in the stickies it was said that "Display 3 has no special difficulty accurately reading a Quantum Dot display, at least of the Samsung variety. Even without the PRO correction (product they sell) the Display 3 errors are not huge (around 0.006, or 2.7 CIE94)". On the other hand there was this huge ass thread in this very forum where people did discuss how the new Quantum Dot backlights scew up the readings of Display Pro but it quickly delved into depths which start to go over the head of a mere hobbyist calibrator like me, so it was left unclear to me if the modern displays do cause a problem for i1D3 and trying to calibrate the screen with it will cause the picture go even further away from accurate. This error might even become more severe when creating a 3Dlut since individual colors from over 1000 samples come into play and moved around too, not just greyscale and gamma?

Or am I making a bigger deal out of it than it really is? The need for spectrophotometer corrections come to play only for those who strive for perfection and not for those who just want colors in somewhat accurate ballpark and gamma follow nicely the desired curve? Is the resulting picture that seemed off just in my head and I just needed to get used to it?
I have a JS8600,a 2015 model. I use a D3 on it with superb results. However, I profile the Display 3 with an i1 spectrometer on the 8600 before I use the Display 3 to calibrate it. You might want to ask in the display calibration forum here on AVS, someone over there will have experience with the D3 on the 2016 models.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-11-2016, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post
I have a JS8600,a 2015 model. I use a D3 on it with superb results. However, I profile the Display 3 with an i1 spectrometer on the 8600 before I use the Display 3 to calibrate it. You might want to ask in the display calibration forum here on AVS, someone over there will have experience with the D3 on the 2016 models.

Yeah I meant to post this over there. Had many tabs open at that time. I'll just make a new thread, it seems like mods are not active thread movers over here.

Do you happen to have the correction file for your JS8600 around? Can you share it? If it has a quantum dot backlight it might be more accurate than any of the built-in corrections. Yeah the correction is made for your D3 specifically but the product variance is apparently quite low between them so it should work decently with mine.

*edit* new thread made in the correct subsection
Does i1D3 work properly with modern displays like my KS7500?

Last edited by MaaZeus; 12-11-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page