AVS Forum banner

Sony X930E/X940E Anticipation Thread

171K views 1K replies 207 participants last post by  MCube74 
#1 · (Edited)
Just announced at CES today, the new 2017 Sony XBR models, the X930E in 55" and 65" and the X940E in 75".

Not a ton of information out there yet, but this is what we know:

X1 Extreme Processor - the same one used in the Z9D that was released in the fall with object-based image processing

Dolby Vision support (as well as HDR10)

Triluminous WCG

New Slim Backlight Drive+ on the 55" and 65" 930E featuring dual-layer light guides and dual layers of edge-mounted LEDs along the top and bottom of screen.

The 940E in 75" will feature full-array local dimming (FALD) with reportedly a greater number of zones than last year's 940D.

Sony Press release on new TVs.

Will update with more information as it becomes available.

1/5/17 Edit: Edited to correct explanation of Slim Backlight Drive+ based on newly available information and updated 940E information to indicate it should have more zones than the 940D.

See less See more
#5 ·
I wonder if they maintained the 3D capability for Blu ray? I can't tell as the Sony website is kind of a mess.....details looked mixed up right now. I hope they kept the 3D, as I am looking at OLED but want more than 65" at something like the current 940 price......improvements including Dolby Vision are very welcome.

#13 · (Edited)
First video I've seen outside of the event of the European XE93 (X930E in the USA and X9300E in Australia).

Doesn't say too much but confirms for me at least, that these 93/94 E displays are going to be quite similar to the D's, however with the updated chipset.

To be honest, my gut says that this extreme processor from the Z9D is what will remove the smearing issue from the 93/94 E series displays.

#15 ·
At the Sony website the info for the backlight system used in these 2017 models imply that the upcoming XBR75X940E will use the same "Backlight Master Drive" as used on the Z9D with individually controlled LEDs whereas the 55" and 65" models will have an updated version of last year's "Slim Backlight Drive" now renamed "Slim Backlight Drive+".

The question i have is : if this upcoming XBR75X940E is essentially an improved Z9D at what i imagine would be a much lower price point, will the Z9D be eliminated from sales so soon after its introduction or will Sony have it available for a few more months ?

I don't know how Sony will be able to justify a msrp of $9K for the Z9D when the better (?) 75X940E could possibly have a considerably lower msrp, around $6K or so ?

I am rather confused by Sony's model's availability and sales strategy for its top-of-the-line LCD UHD sets since the introduction of the 75X940C in Summer 2015, followed by the 75X940D barely 6 months later, then the Z9D again barely 6 months later and now the 75X940E.

Could the company at least differentiate these model numbers so as to avoid customer confusion and seller obfuscation ?

At any rate i feel that Sony has backed itself into a corner by using these nearly identical numbers for what now appears to be a class of UHD sets that has existed for three generations , "the 940 class", and considering the company's website is currently offering the 940D for $4,299.00 why should we consumers pay much more than that for the upcoming 940E ?

#17 ·
I don't see it as so confusing IMO.

The backlit 940D has some issues, clearly. Adding more of the internals of the Z9D, which is still intended on being the flagship, should help with those issues with the 940E.

I guess it isn't perfectly clear what the difference will be between the Z9D and 940E, but there must be something to differentiate the two.

I'm a little concerned that I've just bought the 940D with these issues, and I can't replace it as there are no more left in Australia through the retailer I bought from (or any others from what I gather).

I'm told I have 6 months to return the TV if no firmware update comes to fix the issue with the 940D, at which point I may be able to switch to the 940E, albeit at a much higher price being so new.

Actually now I am confused lol.

#18 ·
that will very interesting if they put the MBL drive in the 940 as well as the X1E chip. Might fix the dark corners the current units have too, and if they sort out all the motion and uniformity issues, I might go back to considering the 940 as my next buy. Right now, 65" Z9D is top of the list.

#21 ·
I don't believe the 940E will have the BMD from what I've read. The website is unfortunately a bit confusing right now, typical early-CES updates before the correct information has had a chance to propagate throughout all of the people who need to know to get it right.

Here's the breakdown as I see it:

930D -> 930E: You gain the X1 Extreme, Dolby Vision, and improved edge-lighting.

940D -> 940E: You gain the X1 Extreme and Dolby Vision. The backlight has just been described as FALD in the press releases, no mention of BMD.

The Z9D remains the Z9D, but will get DV through a firmware update. The way I read it the BMD will remain a Z9D exclusive and be the big difference between the Z9D and the 940E.

Reactions: psuKinger
#25 ·
My 930C will be goin to the bedroom in the near future along with my Panasonic player. Its gonna be wait and see the next few months on what these sets will cost? That new OLED is weird! Crazy stand , I don't hang my tv. But the way that thing sits is gonna be a challenge for me plus it may be out of most people's price range. I may be interested in that new 940E LCD with Dolby Vision or wait till they do a lower priced OLED with a conventional stand. The new Sony player has hardly any info either, Dolby Vision update? For now I'm gonna enjoy what I got!

#26 ·
I returned my recently-purchased 940D because of smearing issues. My NIB replacement had the same issue.

Now that I see the 940E I am very interested, and impatient (because I have no living room TV now!). I really hope these issues are resolved, and I'll buy at full or near-full price MSRP if so:

• No smearing (or VERY subtle)
  • Reduced input lag for gaming

And these would be nice to resolve from the 940D but not a deal breaker:

• Reduced blooming (more/improved LEDs?)
  • Reduced/emliminated faded corners

Keeping my fingers crossed

This post has been deleted
#34 · (Edited)
No word on X930E/X940E 3D yet. The 2017 LG OLED TV and Panasonic OLED TV will not have 3D support so assuming Sony OLED TVs will have 3D support does not seem realistic..Since the (2016) ZD9 will be the flagship* my guess is that the ZD9 will have 3D and the other models will not have 3D.

*In the live CES stream Sony rep stated that the ZD9 will be the 2017 flagship. In the official Sony press release it is stated that the A1E will be the 2017 flagship.

#38 ·
Of course 2 months ago when I bought my 940D for 4 grand I asked an actual Sony rep that was at BB if the new 2017 Sony TV's would have DV and he looked me in the eyes and said "no they will not".

I feel like I have an obsolete TV now. I have been around long enough to know how tech works but my brain was telling me to wait till the new year but I did not listen to it and it cost me. Now with all the UHD players coming out in DV I wonder if DV is going to be the HDR format that takes over instead of HDR10. HDR is such a mess right now.

I make an ok living but I do not have the ability to just buy a new tv for all the new tech. I usually am on a 5 year upgrade cycle. This time I should of went 6.

Crushed!

#40 ·
I wouldn't say it's that big of a deal. The 940C/D look great on HDR10 material, and the HDR/HDMI landscape will continue to evolve over the next five years, as will display tech. There's always going to be something better that comes out after you make a purchase, but that doesn't mean that what you have is diminished from what it was before.

Plus, HDR10 isn't going anywhere. It's the standard for UHD Blu-Ray, there are a ton of HDR10 TVs out there, and Samsung still hasn't embraced DV, so you're not going to miss out on any content.

#43 ·
How Many Zones?

Question: On the current 55" (XBR55-X930D), slim-backlight-drive, it was my understanding that there were two rows of LED's on the bottom edge split into six zones using some sort of baffle arrangement. Now there are LED's on the top and bottom? Are there still two rows total or two on top and two on the bottom? How many Zones? I feel that on the 55" that the current arrangement is just ok as the middle zones are a bit too big and the light is uneven across the zones. It is good tech obviously, and effective, but a little more finesse would be appreciated.

#47 ·
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anyone at CES 2017 that could stop by the Sony booth and ask/confirm with a rep whether or not the 940E will have the same "Backlight Master Drive" as used in the Z9D ?
Pleeeeeeesea.....

Sony needs to clarify this particular piece of information in its website asap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.