AVS Forum banner

**OFFICIAL** Sharp Aquos 65N9000U 65" Curved 4k HDR Quantum Dot

198K views 2K replies 111 participants last post by  JPats 
#1 ·
By the numbers it looks like 72 people grabbed the duydig.com ebay fire sale of the Sharp Aquos 65N9000U for $1150 in the last week. This was (and in some places today still is) a $3000 set retail.

This mofo has:

65" curved screen
HDR10
120hz native
3M Quantum dot display
240 zone FALD
4k Amazon, Netflix, Vudu, Youtube smart apps

The price from buydig is back to $1500 as of today -- still a great deal on what appears to be a stunning chuck of TV technology -- but not the scream-from-the-mountain-tops $1150 deal that buydig ignited the world with over the past week.

Based on the 2016 CES coverage, this was a beast of a TV that seems to have not sold well, had price-point challenges, or got caught up in the Hisense/Sharp branding transition.

All I know is mine comes in about a week and I cannot wait. I am coming from a sad saga with two broken Hisense 55H9B2's from PC Richard (who are great by the way), one of which arrived usable enough to see how awesome a display it was, but neither of which was 100% ok to keep. The problem is the stock has dried up for the 55" H9B so I went looking for a replacement for a steal.

This Sharp Aquos 65N9000U clearly is the step-sibling of the Hisense 65H10B, so I am hoping it meets the same high standard that the 55H9B set.

I hope some fellow AVS'ers grabbed the Sharp deal posted on slickdeals -- if so, this is where to gripe your gripes and sing the praises :)

-Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
I jumped on the Buydig deal as well as I was looking for a 2nd TV. I currently have a Samsung 65KS8000. I was hoping this TV had active 3D, as stated in the Ebay listing, but appears it does not after looking at the specs on the sharp website and initial reviews. Shipped yesterday. Here is a Chinese review of the 65N9000U - use google translate:

http://4k-fan.com/一手評測-sharp-美規-65n9000u-與-sony-65x8500d-同台比拼/

#7 ·
Delivered safely, been setting it up for about an hour... this set is AMAZING!!!!!!

This is everything the Hisense H9B was and very much beyond.

You'll go through two firmware updates and then you are good to go. It appears HDR is not supported via the internal streamed apps, but I am sure my XB1S will pass it.

The same was true of the Hisense H9B.

Unbelievable picture... for the money I paid I keep thinking the cops are going to show up.

Just awesome!

#16 ·
How is the HDR material on this TV? Does it get brightness levels to 1000nits? If this is indeed a Hisense 65H10B rebadged then I believe that TV only gets to 500 nits but wanted to see if this was a better panel.

Also, has anyone seen the Samsung 65KS8000 and if so, how does this TV compare to that. Only reason is that these are comparably priced currently and I am deciding between them.

And last thing, does this TV sit upright on its stand or does it lean like the Hisense 65H10B?.... I'm hoping it is upright because the lean would drive me nuts.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#17 · (Edited)
I have the 65ks8000 as well. My Sharp will be arriving today so I can post my impressions of the two. Just to note, the Samsung epp deal (65ks8000 for 1079 + 10% discover cash back) has ended but they seem to run it every month or so. My biggest complaint on the samsung are the black levels and it being edge lit. Otherwise it is a solid choice, especially for the epp price.

#18 · (Edited)
Not sure if these numbers (which come from THIS Chinese 4k TV review site) are sustained or peak brightness. This is a comparison of brightness between the Sharp N9000U and the Sony 65X850D:

Level - Sharp - Sony
L100: 395 312

L50: 572 313

L25: 663 308

L10: 557 312

L2: 236 312

According to Rtings assessment of current TV brightness these are all solid HDR numbers. In fact, the L10- L50 measurements are some of the best of the 2016 range of TV (besting even the Samsung flagships except at L2 where the Samsung is greater than 1000 nits.

This sharp is beating the Vizio P-series (the P50 of which I own), the Sony's, and the Samsung's in many cases below the 8000 series.

The Sharp N9000u is an awesome TV!

-Chris

#20 ·
I finally made sense of the brightness levels on rtings. Wonder why it drops off at 2% and 100%? Maybe due to FALD? I'm sure the black levels has to be better on this TV than the edge lit ones. So, how are the overall black levels and Contrast? I'm sure it won't get to OLED levels but if it is close enough, I can live with it. Oh... and no one answered my question about leaning with the stands... upright or lean? How about HDR material... does it display correctly?

#22 ·
The black levels, contrast, and brightness are... excellent.

I just took a 4ft level and stood it up vertically on my media cabinet (where the TV sits), kissed right up flush to the front of the TV (at the bottom). The top of the TV is ever so slightly about .5 to .75 of a inch back from the base.

I pushed the brightness and exposure on the pics in order to better show the gap -- sorry if they are too bright. Of the slight tilt back, it wasn't really until I measured it that I noticed it. It is a negligible tilt, looks straight (no one in my family noticed) and really the screen just looks right -- well it also looks huge :))

*Funny, I had a Hisense H9B (the 55" variant of the Sharp which I had to return due to a screen crack) and there was no tilt to it.

Really interested to hear the feedback from you guys about the N9000U!

-Chris

Attachments

#25 ·
is the ULED a real thing, or just marketing?

how does this compare to 2017 models?

Hisense has 65-H9D for $1299, and 65-H9D+ (ULED) for $1999 and 75-H9D+ (ULED) for $2500. there is also the 75-R8 for $1999.

Sharp has 65-P9000 for $1999.

all have WCG, but no quantum dots.
both 75 inchers have directlit local diming, and the sharp has something called ELED local dimming.

the H10D (w/ quantum dots) will be too expensive

#26 · (Edited)
ULED would be similar to the SUHD label used by Samsung. Something to distinguish their higher end TVs. Do you have any link to the other sets in your post? I could not seem to find much on them. I think one of the biggest differences will be FALD vs edge lit.

Update: found this link:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...lineup-including-first-4k-laser-cast-tv/37694

Looks like the H9D and H9D+ are all edge lit. The H10 series are going to be FALDs like this Sharp. It looks like the 2017 equivalents to this Sharp are going to be twice as much price wise.....

#32 · (Edited)
My Sharp arrived today. Great packaging on this - much better than what Samsung does. The outer/upper portion of the box lifts off leaving the lower portion and the TV supported and standing allowing you to attach the wall mounts without removing the TV! Build quality is very nice and easily matches the ks8000. If you want to see what this TV can do download the LG OLED chess demo - black levels and contrast are noticeably better on the Sharp compared to ks8000:

http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=145

I am having some problems with the reds/magentas on this set. This seems to occur on skin tones when combined with red lights/explosions. I noticed this quite a bit while watching The Force Awakens blu-ray from my x-box one s. Portions of the faces would become redish, almost pixelated. I did not notice this on my Samsung. See attached photo. Other than that, this TV is a great value for the price.

Attachments

#33 ·
Wow, Chess demo is awesome!

However, in that video, I thought the saturation in the faces was a pushing a little red. I haven't done any calibration, but dropping color from 50 to 40 made a nice difference.

I am also downloading the Samsung demo "Chasing the Light" -- it's great to see high quality source material on the Sharp!!

Impressive,

-C

#38 ·
Congrats!

Each input has its own settings which is great given the variability of different sources. I just took these settings while watching the Chess video via USB. This is totally by eye ;-)

I use Standard picture mode with:
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 50
Color: 40

Backlight: 45-60
Local dimming: On

Sharpness: 5
Ultra Smooth Motion: Clear
Noise Reduction:Medium
Adaptive Contrast: Medium
Color Temp: Standard

The standard settings are pretty damn good but there's a little motion artifacting happening when the Ultra Smooth Motion is at Standard versus Clear (it's basically MEMC off, low, med, high). However with HD cable I will turn brightness down a bit.

Awesome TV!

-Chris

#37 ·
Interesting. I haven't seen it, though it's only been a week ;-). I watched the NFL this weekend and it looked great. Watched parts of Sicario (4kBD), Deadpool (4kBD), Despicable Me 2 (BD), and then Xfinity HDTV. It's been fantastic!

Then this morning I checked out the Chess video and then the Samsung "Chasing the Light". I watch those clips on the Sharp and just sit back say "whoa!"

It has all looked great!

#39 ·
My set lands tomorrow and I am stoked... got my shield TV and Ps4 Pro ready and itching to see that sweet sweet HDR love :) I have a HiSense H8 currently as an auxiliary TV in my home office (games and 4k monitor use on occasion) so I wasn't too worried about quality but glad to here everyones expectations are being met (and apparently smashed!).

#42 ·
I noticed my X Box One S was not outputting HDR content. This was confirmed in my Xbox settings - see first photo. I was able to find an HDMI setting in the Sharp TV menu and changing this to "enhanced" enabled the HDR and other outputs on the Xbox - see photos 2,3,4. Very impressed with this TV!

Attachments

#43 ·
So sorry, I should have mentioned that! I knew about that setting from my Hisense H9 days. That allows for two different permutations of the HDMI handshake to accommodate different devices.

I also have XB1S and forget to mention making that change. When set to Enhanced, all the XB1S 4k tests get the big green check!:D

#47 ·
...and a lot of this potential was only unlocked with these latest firmware updates from about 6 weeks ago.

I know in the Hisense H9b thread many dudes (great guys over there) had that TV for months and months waiting for the firmware to unlock its potential. The H9's potential was delivered on with new firmware updates, no surprise, the same time as these N9000's (aka H10b's) firmware... just this past December.

Hisense/Sharp is definitely in stride and this Sharp is a sleeper for sure. The menu in the Sharp and the Hisense H9 is identical.

Anyone know how to replay that demo video that loaded after you completed start-up configuration?

-Chris

#49 ·
Well, it appears I do have the panel with the color shift caused by Sharp/Hisense changing panels. One easy way to see if you have the affected panel is to view the LG Chess Demo from above and look at the chandeliers. If you have the green shift, you have an affected panel. From post 6701:

The customer service from Hisense France confirmed to me that the problem was known and they are putting together a dossier that will be subsequently transmitted to the engineering department. A priori, this dysfunction may come as firmware that the hardware (defective motherboard or other ...), but they do not know more yet.

I have cleared all settings (hidden menu), then restored the factory settings, the magenta color drift is still there, and i noticed also green drift on yellow colors.

Here are two additional photos which show the candle flames which drift over the green (always with the HDR picture mode with factory settings on my TV)

https://www.avforums.com/threads/hisense-65xt910-owners-thread.1992681/page-224

Does anyone else see this green shift on the candle flame with their sets?

Attachments

#50 · (Edited)
Well, it appears I do have the panel with the color shift caused by Sharp/Hisense changing panels...

Does anyone else see this green shift on the candle flame with their sets?
I totally see it!

Wow, great eyes. I watched that Chess clip five or six times and never saw that green shift... not even close.

Here are my pics. In the same scene some of the chandelier lights have it (the far left and right one) but the others do not. I also included a full screen shot from about 4 feet away (I sit about 12 feet away) -- as you can see when shown at full size, it is barely perceptible. However, you can see in the other shots, taken from about 3 inches away, that the green shift is there.

These were taken with an iPhone 6.

I still don't see it on several other videos that I've downloaded from Demo Ultra-HD (awesome site!). I have a USB 3.0 64gb stick in the TV right now streaming one downloaded video after another.

What is Sharp/Hisense's position on it... just that some sources will present the issue and others won't? I'm ok because if you hadn't pointed me to it, I never in a million years would've seen it :)

-Chris

Attachments

#51 ·
According to the other forum, the European Hisense division did acknowledge this as a problem but nothing has been posted on the issue since. I am going to contact Sharp/Hisense support to see if they are aware of the issue and have any plans to correct it. Still a great TV and the problem only appears on certain types of content.

#57 · (Edited)
Is the magenta shift definitely tied to the green shift? That is, if you have one then you have both; and therefore you have the "change in panel"? I have yet to see the magenta, but as I posted, I do have the green shift.

What does that mean by the way, a "change in panel"? Did the H10B and the N9000U used to share the same panel, but at some point they changed it in the N9000U? That probably stands to reason as the H10B supports 3D and the N9000U does not, though if you google it you will find references to suggest that at one point it did.

I think I will contact Sharp too to let them know that it's not an isolated incident.

-C

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.