Curious as to why so Samsung KS8000 is so popular given it's build quality issues? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #1 of 38 Old 01-27-2017, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Curious as to why so Samsung KS8000 is so popular given it's build quality issues?

I'd love to get the KS8000 but so many reviews talk about build quality issues which is concerning to me. I thought I'd post here to get people's opinions.

I'm in the market for a new TV. Budget isn't much at less than $1000 for 50 inch (or 55)

I'd use it for watching movies, Netflix, tv, Amazon Prime. Maybe a little gaming for when my niece and nephew visit (Wii).

I watch tv in a dark room at night but also in bright room during the day. And I need something that is good for off angle viewing. I'll be having a lumbar fusion so will be immobile for a bit.

My current TV is a Panasonic which has been awesome but too small. I wish Panasonic still made TV's in the US!

I had considered the KS8000, also Vizio P series, KS7000.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 01-27-2017, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Back panel came apart on mine big time after 2 weeks . Highly recommend get extended warenty if you do get one. I got the ks9000 to replace it but wasn't really happy with the picture for thr price and ended up getting lgb6
mpgxsvcd, Burningcoals and blatz8 like this.
post #3 of 38 Old 01-27-2017, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Build-quality issues being... delaminating back panels and delaminating lower front silver bling bezels? I share your concern as a new owner (<1 week) and only after buying did I learn about these. I plan to return the unit to Best Buy if I see things coming apart at all and will go KS9000 and hope I get some money back through credit card price protection. I chose this unit over OLED B6 from LG because use is more mainstream in an often daylit living room. I also chose it because it is really thin so good for my mounting situation (in a dedicated niche above a fireplace). Am very happy with picture and the user experience w/ SMART.

You probably know the 55" KS8000 is available right now like everywhere for just under $1K pre-tax. Not sure I would let viewing angle considerations (short therm they sound + many TVs with this type of panel will have similar angle issues) affect what you buy. Is it wall-mounted? Why not switch to an articulating mount?

post #4 of 38 Old 01-27-2017, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I came from a Panny plasma and plain and simple this tv is the best bang for the buck. I have issues with it, but i consider this a transitional tv for me with the ever changing landscape. OLED needs a little more time to mature before I'm willing to pay $2.5k+ for a tv again.

I should also note that I don't have any buyers remorse from switching to LED. Colors are rich and vibrant. I needed a change from the muted look I had with my plasma.
post #5 of 38 Old 01-27-2017, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 136
1. It's the best bang for the buck
2. The quality issues for these TVs are highly dramatized on this website. By that I mean that this is a very small percentage of the total number sold, and people generally aren't signing up here just to praise the TV.

65" KS9000 and 49" KS8000

Infinity Overture 3
Definitive BP-2000
Denon AVR-2307ci
SVS PB-2000
post #6 of 38 Old 01-27-2017, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Most people who own one will tell you its a good panel, people tend to do that when they own something.

I will tell you that the panel lottery is definitely an issue with the KS8000/9000. That said the KS8000 is a pretty good deal. Personally, I would go OLED if 65" or under.

The Samsung QLED TV's are just around the corner and at least on paper offer a much better improved experience over the KS series. However that will come at increase costs.

- Denon X7200WA + DTS:X Firmware Upgrade
- B&W CM9S1, CM2S2, CM5S2, CM1S2, SVS SB13Ultra
- Surround DSX Heights, Dolby Atmos/DSU 5.1.4 FH+RH
- ButtKicker BK300-Advanced
- TV 2016 Samsung 75" KS9000
- Games/Media Players PS4Pro, Xbox One S, WII U, UHD K8500, Roku Ultra
post #7 of 38 Old 01-27-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burningcoals View Post
Most people who own one will tell you its a good panel, people tend to do that when they own something.

I will tell you that the panel lottery is definitely an issue with the KS8000/9000. That said the KS8000 is a pretty good deal. Personally, I would go OLED if 65" or under.

The Samsung QLED TV's are just around the corner and at least on paper offer a much better improved experience over the KS series. However that will come at increase costs.
Find me a 65" OLED for $1,100. You can't, and you would hard-pressed to find one for double that price. That's why the LCDs win, and why the KS8000 is so popular, because you could buy two of them for what is a great deal on a similarly-sized 65" OLED. In fact, I could buy a 75" LCD TV for the same price as an OLED, and that's a pretty big difference in surface area (33% greater to be more precise).

Infinity Overture 3
Definitive BP-2000
Denon AVR-2307ci
SVS PB-2000
post #8 of 38 Old 01-27-2017, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague17 View Post
I'd love to get the KS8000 but so many reviews talk about build quality issues which is concerning to me. I thought I'd post here to get people's opinions.

I'm in the market for a new TV. Budget isn't much at less than $1000 for 50 inch (or 55)

I'd use it for watching movies, Netflix, tv, Amazon Prime. Maybe a little gaming for when my niece and nephew visit (Wii).

I watch tv in a dark room at night but also in bright room during the day. And I need something that is good for off angle viewing. I'll be having a lumbar fusion so will be immobile for a bit.

My current TV is a Panasonic which has been awesome but too small. I wish Panasonic still made TV's in the US!

I had considered the KS8000, also Vizio P series, KS7000.

Thanks!
It's popular because it's cheap and the general public are attracted to bright images at showrooms. Having said that its a great set for daytime but you will have issues watching in the dark, coming from a plasma, blacks, motion and viewing angles will be the downside.

Media room- LG 4K OLED EG9600, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Samsung 4K K8500, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC, Klipsch Reference R-62II, Rc52II,PS4

Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #9 of 38 Old 01-28-2017, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 835
You can buy a 55" OLED 4K right now at a popular site for 1500.00 which is also a good consideration.

Current Sets: Sony XBR75X940C, Sony XBR75X940D, Samsung UN65KS9800, , UN55KS8500, UN49JS8500
Previous Sets: Sony XBR65X930D, XBR65X900B, XBR49X830C, Samsung KS8000, KU6500, JS9000, JU7090, JU6500, JU6400, HU9000, HU7250, PN64F8500, Vizio P65, LG 65EF9500, LG 55EC9300, Hisense 55H8C
post #10 of 38 Old 01-28-2017, 09:10 AM

Liked: 11
I just recently returned a 49" model.

It had a great picture and blacks were real good for a LCD but i couldn't deal with the motion blur and judder on this set! Kind of sucked because my set had no clouding or light bleed that i could see, and the the build quality seemed good. It was just those damn motion issues! I know some disliked the remote but liked it, easy to use once you used to it.

Not all sets have these issues. I have a friend that has one and his is good with motion.
post #11 of 38 Old 01-28-2017, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
It's popular because it's cheap and the general public are attracted to bright images at showrooms. Having said that its a great set for daytime but you will have issues watching in the dark, coming from a plasma, blacks, motion and viewing angles will be the downside.
That's what I'm concerned about. I need something that works well both in the dark as well as daytime. Viewing angles are important to me. I'd also like a set without all the judder issues that Samsung sets seem to have. I've pretty much ruled out Samsung altogether at this point after doing research across various forums. Too many issues. But I'm open in case there's a set that doesn't have all the reported issues.

Any suggestions?

It seems there is no perfect tv but I'd like something to last for a few years. I got spoiled by Panasonic.
post #12 of 38 Old 01-28-2017, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
You can buy a 55" OLED 4K right now at a popular site for 1500.00 which is also a good consideration.

Hmmm. Not finding it so far. Any clues?
post #13 of 38 Old 01-28-2017, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
I just recently returned a 49" model.

It had a great picture and blacks were real good for a LCD but i couldn't deal with the motion blur and judder on this set! Kind of sucked because my set had no clouding or light bleed that i could see, and the the build quality seemed good. It was just those damn motion issues! I know some disliked the remote but liked it, easy to use once you used to it.

Not all sets have these issues. I have a friend that has one and his is good with motion.
That seems to be fairly common too and something I want to avoid. Did you end up getting something else?
post #14 of 38 Old 01-28-2017, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 680
All I can say is I returned a KS for a P65 and couldn't be happier. The KS has major blooming and some light bleed, motion handling sucks too. The P65 not literally coming apart is also an added bonus.

Vizio P65-C1
post #15 of 38 Old 01-28-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's what I'm concerned about. I need something that works well both in the dark as well as daytime. Viewing angles are important to me. I'd also like a set without all the judder issues that Samsung sets seem to have. I've pretty much ruled out Samsung altogether at this point after doing research across various forums. Too many issues. But I'm open in case there's a set that doesn't have all the reported issues.

Any suggestions?

It seems there is no perfect tv but I'd like something to last for a few years. I got spoiled by Panasonic.
Honestly my only recommendation is to go Oled, from anyone coming from a plasma tv it is the best upgrade to make. Unless you are wanting bigger than 65" one should look for Sony' s high end. But in the end it all depends on your budget, Oled will give you best of both worlds, good in daytime viewing , awesome in nighttime viewing with the best viewing angles you are used to. Unfortunately they are out of your budget, therefore it is best to go view them with your fav content and judge by yourself which one suits your needs best.
losservatore and Teague17 like this.

Media room- LG 4K OLED EG9600, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Samsung 4K K8500, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC, Klipsch Reference R-62II, Rc52II,PS4

post #16 of 38 Old 01-28-2017, 11:41 AM
DAB
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
After all the CES hoopla -- we will have to wait until the 2017 come out- with spec and reviews... I'm waiting either OLED/or LCD.
*in 2004 purchased a NEC 50"plasma Monitor>>$4,500. PQ is still excellent but want the UHD4kDVwcg120Hz experience have bright daylight issues and viewing angle is somewhat a concern.
Teague17 likes this.
post #17 of 38 Old 01-28-2017, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Any suggestions?

Have you checked out the Sony 55"/65" 850D ($1000/$1400)? Great viewing angles, upscaling, and motion handling. Also for a little more and better blacks, the 930D ($1300/$1800).

I recently bought my Dad the 65" 850D, and it's excellent.
Teague17 likes this.

Florida_Gator
post #18 of 38 Old 01-28-2017, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Thanks!
So I've had my panel replaced... and both had and have cheap build. But the bigger problem for me was the vast difference in the panels themselves, in terms of the actual problems each had. Panel lottery really applies with this TV, but when it looks great, it really looks great. (Second panel has obvious vertical lines associated with the dimming zones and didn't have that with the first panel at all)

I must note I have no motion issues with this TV, and am really finding it hard to figure out what it is others are seeing. I game on it frequently.
post #19 of 38 Old 01-29-2017, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 47
What problems with motion are you all talking about? I bought one of these at Costco for $979 with 90 day return policy Plus $59 for a 5 year warranty.
I don't notice anything other than a kind of slo mo look when watching hdr content. It's like people are gliding? Some said that was the soap opera effect. I too came from a Panasonic Plasma.
I had an 850D and returned it. This has a much better blacks, lower input lag and the viewing angles don't seem much worse. I think the is is superior to the 850D.
What again is this motion problem? BTW how can I make that slo mo effect on hdr go away it's awful. Makes me not want to watch hdr content.
post #20 of 38 Old 01-29-2017, 09:46 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab2 View Post
What problems with motion are you all talking about? I bought one of these at Costco for $979 with 90 day return policy Plus $59 for a 5 year warranty.
I don't notice anything other than a kind of slo mo look when watching hdr content. It's like people are gliding? Some said that was the soap opera effect. I too came from a Panasonic Plasma.
I had an 850D and returned it. This has a much better blacks, lower input lag and the viewing angles don't seem much worse. I think the is is superior to the 850D.
What again is this motion problem? BTW how can I make that slo mo effect on hdr go away it's awful. Makes me not want to watch hdr content.
If you don't notice anything then you have a good set!

Mine had a stop and go stutter to the picture. If i turned AMP on it would help with the stutter but would add severe ghosting and a lot of noise to the picture. Are you streaming the HDR content? Might be your connection speed???
post #21 of 38 Old 01-29-2017, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordj View Post
All I can say is I returned a KS for a P65 and couldn't be happier. The KS has major blooming and some light bleed, motion handling sucks too. The P65 not literally coming apart is also an added bonus.
Yeah, the P-Series has to be in the running for anyone looking for a value LCD. Compared to the Samsung KS8000 I'd go with the P-Series all day, primarily because Vizio does things right and uses a true FALD backlight. If you're going 75" the Sony 940D is worth it for the better processing, but in a 65" Vizio is one of the few not trying to pass off TVs based on fundamentally flawed edge-lit tech.
mpgxsvcd and Teague17 like this.
post #22 of 38 Old 01-29-2017, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
had a plasma. The ks8000 is 10 times the tv. blacks are as good and everything else is 10 times better. samsung has one of the best build quality on tvs and always has. back separation, bet you laid the tv on its back when you took it out of box. but any electronics can have problems. you won't see any of those any place but here where people go thru 7 tvs so they dont see something thats not there anyways go to gas. 99% of every1 there will tell you this is the best tv out there unless you spend double for a oled that has bad lag, burn in and a lot of other problems
post #23 of 38 Old 01-29-2017, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
hows that HDR coming. vizios are junk and always have been. probably 50% of the people here on their forum is on tv 5 or 6. well matt tells you the final firmware is going to fix everything. oops it didn't for the 10th time. How do you like 2 different colors depending what side of screen your looking at. one of the worst tvs out there
post #24 of 38 Old 01-29-2017, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmons View Post
hows that HDR coming. vizios are junk and always have been. probably 50% of the people here on their forum is on tv 5 or 6. well matt tells you the final firmware is going to fix everything. oops it didn't for the 10th time. How do you like 2 different colors depending what side of screen your looking at. one of the worst tvs out there

Vizio P65-C1

Last edited by lordj; 01-29-2017 at 01:54 PM.
post #25 of 38 Old 01-29-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Again, this time in English.

Infinity Overture 3
Definitive BP-2000
Denon AVR-2307ci
SVS PB-2000
post #26 of 38 Old 01-29-2017, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
had a plasma. The ks8000 is 10 times the tv. blacks are as good and everything else is 10 times better. samsung has one of the best build quality on tvs and always has. back separation, bet you laid the tv on its back when you took it out of box. but any electronics can have problems. you won't see any of those any place but here where people go thru 7 tvs so they dont see something thats not there anyways go to gas. 99% of every1 there will tell you this is the best tv out there unless you spend double for a oled that has bad lag, burn in and a lot of other problems
You must of had a terrible plasma than to think the ks8000 is 10 times better. Best tv for the average joe looking for a bargain, like I said it's a great tv for daytime viewing. Not for those looking for the best picture quality. You can go on about Oled having bad lag, BI and a lot of other problems but owners and professional reviewers dont rate OLED "the best" for no reason, specially when they have won 4 years in a row.
losservatore and Teague17 like this.

post #27 of 38 Old 01-30-2017, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Glad too see you've come too the same conclusion as me. I'm the weirdo who never takes anyone's word for anything. I read on the TV I'm interested in find out what people's opinions are upon them and then go out and buy 2 TV at the same time, hook them up too the same source and make my own opinion. In this case I purchased a 65ks8000 and a Vizio m65-d0. I paid 1650.00for the Samsung and 828.00(open box) for the Vizio. There are things I like better about the Samsung over the Vizio, but too say the Vizio (m series) doesn't compare, you have obviously not had the two TV in your house side by side. The Samsung hdr, smart functions, and hdr input on all sources are the things I wish my Vizio had, but the blacks were something I couldn't live with and the fact it was literally half price. I'm not Sammy hating in fact my bedroom TV, phone, watch, and tons of other electronics are Samsung, but for me the Vizio is neck and neck with Sammy for a lot less money.
fafrd, blatz8 and Teague17 like this.
post #28 of 38 Old 02-02-2017, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miker104 View Post
Glad too see you've come too the same conclusion as me. I'm the weirdo who never takes anyone's word for anything. I read on the TV I'm interested in find out what people's opinions are upon them and then go out and buy 2 TV at the same time, hook them up too the same source and make my own opinion. In this case I purchased a 65ks8000 and a Vizio m65-d0. I paid 1650.00for the Samsung and 828.00(open box) for the Vizio. There are things I like better about the Samsung over the Vizio, but too say the Vizio (m series) doesn't compare, you have obviously not had the two TV in your house side by side. The Samsung hdr, smart functions, and hdr input on all sources are the things I wish my Vizio had, but the blacks were something I couldn't live with and the fact it was literally half price. I'm not Sammy hating in fact my bedroom TV, phone, watch, and tons of other electronics are Samsung, but for me the Vizio is neck and neck with Sammy for a lot less money.
Same conclusion here. If they cut the price of the Sammy's in half, I would consider going back, but right now, you get her equally, if not better for less

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
post #29 of 38 Old 02-02-2017, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
So much miss-information. You won't find any burn in talk in any of the actual 'owners' threads for the last two years of OLEDs. The compensation cycles have pretty much mitigated this issue. From reading the gamer's comments, the lag is not an issue. Not even in HDR Game mode once an update was put out. And the OLEDs can't have, "a lot of other problems" and still win the majority TV of the Year awards... Just saying...
Teague17 likes this.

LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, Samsung 55HU9000 (sek-3500), LG 55UB8200
2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
post #30 of 38 Old 02-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
whats the difference in the C1 panel and the AA02 panel ?

Is this another dell panel lottery, hoping to get a good one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays