***Official*** LeEco 2016 UMax85 Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 274Likes

post #1 of 622 Old 01-31-2017, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 105
***Official*** LeEco 2016 UMax85 Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please

Welcome Owners and prospective buyers of the 2016 LeEco UMax85.

Hats off to @thomasfxlt from whom I've "borrowed" the organization of the information here. This is my first ever Owner's thread but I really like his and I hope he doesn't mind us emulating it here.

UPDATES TO THIS THREAD

2017-JUN-16: Added info about 3D glasses.

2017-APR-14: Official Umax85 wall mount is now available. Added a mount link and description. Moved calibration info to the 2nd post in this thread.

2017-APR-13: Improved the formatting a little more. Added a section for checking the HDR mode. Updated the Remote Control info. Added a link to the LeForums thread about the menu vs calibration.

2017-APR-06: Marked some issues as resolved and added new issues after Firmware Release 5.8.055S_0321. Also added new info about 3D Glasses.

2017-APR-04: Added Firmware Release Notes for Version 5.8.055S_0321

OLDER UPDATES
Spoiler!

OVERVIEW
Spoiler!

A Little History
Spoiler!

LeEco User Experience Program
Spoiler!

Reviews
Coming soon

Firmware Releases
5.8.055S_0321 released on April 4, 2017

Notes in spoiler.

Spoiler!

Remote Control
Credit to @Arm3n for this info.
If you have a Logitech Harmony remote, several owners have been working to get theirs working with the UMax85.
@Arm3n started a thread in the Logitech forums and another in the LeEco forums.

Logitech seems to be making headway on this as well.

@Arm3n also updated his workaround after the April firmware update.

In addition, @daniel17693 posted this regarding his remote control experiences.

ARC Information
The UMax85 supports ARC. The ARC feature does not return all types of audio to your receiver.

How can I check for HDR Signals?
The UMax85 supports HDR. When you switch to an HDR source, the TV briefly displays "HDR" in the top left corner. If you miss it and you want to know if the signal you're watching is HDR, you can check this in the Picture Settings. The normal picture menu lets you choose between different "modes" such as Energy Saving, Standard, Game, or Movie. You can use this menu to define unique settings for each mode (e.g. the brightness, color, and other settings).

When the TV enters HDR mode, it hides the normal picture modes and shows the HDR mode. You can edit the settings for this mode just like you do the other modes, but only if the TV is currently in HDR mode.

To open the picture menu, press the gear button (middle button at the top of the remote). Choose Picture. If the signal you are watching is HDR, you will see "HDR" mode instead of one of the normal settings (e.g. Movie).

3D Glasses
The UMax85 supports 3D and comes with 2 pairs of active 3D glasses. It is Active 3D, rather than passive. Extra glasses from LeEco are not currently available in the USA and as of 6/15/2017 there is no date for their release.

The glasses are LBTN10 models. Some Chinese websites such as YOYCART have these in stock for $10 to $20, but the shipping from China is expensive (~$30). If you have any Chinese friends or co-workers, you can ask them to buy them in China and bring them back.

They can look at this web site to find the right item: https://www.englishtaobao.net/Produc...per_tv_battery

I bought 4 pair of glasses this way and it cost ~$44. The glasses came individually wrapped in thin cardboard boxes and bubble wrap. Each box was sealed with a LeEco sticker. Inside the boxes, the glasses were exactly the same as what comes with the TV - each pair wrapped individually in a foam bag and the lenses covered by special lens protectors. The glasses themselves work great. I even bought a little case on Amazon to hold them and keep them dust-free. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

My friends brought the glasses back in their luggage, no problem. They offered to get more because they are easy.
I'm happy to order more this way if anyone wants them. You just have to be patient because I can't predict when they will travel.
Shipping in the US is $6 flat rate via USPS, so a pair would cost you $28 total.
If you want me to get some for you, please send a private message to @legolad .

The Official LeEco UMax85 Wall Mount
The Quick Start Guide mentions an official TV Mount for the UMax85. This product is now available for $30 on the LeMall web site.

This is a very basic flat wall mount with no ability to change the angle at all. If you don't need to adjust your wall-mounted TV at all, then this is a good product at a fair price.

If you need something more flexible, there are some articulating mounts out there. I'm currently using this 2xHome mount which I got from Amazon for $55. It holds up to 176 lbs (the UMax85 without feet is just under 150lbs). This mount tilts up and down 15 degrees. It can swivel left and right for a total of 180 degrees of motion. It also extends out from the wall about 26" (though I'm not brave enough to keep it extended with my UMax85). It comes with a spirit level you can glue to the mount to help you keep it level. It also comes with all the necessary screws and bolts.

How to Update Your UMax85 TV
http://forum.le.com/us/index.php?thr...ew-ecotv.3753/

UMAX85 Specifications
The full specs can be found here: http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/f2997e9
The LeEco product page is here: http://www.lemall.com/us/tv/leeco_umax85/index.html
The UMax85 Quick Start Guide is here: http://www.leeco.com/content/uploads...Final_orig.pdf
The UMax85 User Manual is here: http://image2.lecloud.com/lemallus/2...55284895355909

Simple Specs in the spoiler below.
Spoiler!

TROUBLESHOOTING

CEC / ARC issues
Some users are reporting that CEC is working correctly after Firmware 0321.
Others are reporting that the TV forgets the EXTERNAL SPEAKER setting.

HDR handshake
Some users are reporting HDR Handshake issues where HDR sources are not recognized as HDR by the TV.
LeEco has acknowledged this and promised a fix in a future firmware.

TV's NetFlix App is grainy
Some users are reporting that the native NetFlix app has a grainy/noisy picture in certain shows including Iron Fist.

External NetFlix App is washed out
Some users are reporting that the NetFlix app in other devices such as Roku has a very washed out picture, particularly on HDR content.

Menus for TV Settings make calibration difficult
While not technically a bug, this is definitely a design issue. The menus for settings cover a significant portion of the screen and require multiple clicks to enter and exit. This makes it very difficult and time-consuming to adjust settings while looking at test patterns.

Here is the LeEco Support thread regarding this issue. I've replied on that thread with a design for a simple calibration menu. If you want a better way to calibrate, please let LeEco know that you want a calibration menu.

RESOLVED ISSUES

Spoiler!
MCaugusto, mgoode, VBB and 11 others like this.

Rarely do members of the same family grow up under the same roof.

Last edited by legolad; 06-16-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 622 Old 01-31-2017, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Calibration Post

The purpose of this post is to collect calibration information from owners. Of course, calibration is going to be unique to each room, not to mention each owner's taste. But for those who want a starting point, I thought we could use this post to collect picture settings. I'm starting this post with a little mild larceny (I've stolen @daniel17693 's settings from his post on April 5.

If you would like me to add yours here, please reply to this post and use the format below:

Mode: [Non-HDR, HDR, or DolbyVision]
Light Control: [Total, Strong, Weak, None]

Brightness
Backlight:
Brightness:
Contrast:
Adaptive contrast:

Color
Saturation:
Hue:
Color temperature:

Clarity
Sharpness:
Noise reduction:

Motion
Motion:

Advanced
Gamma:
Color space:
White balance:
Select:
Step:
Red:
Green:
Blue:
Super white:
Super black:

Calibration Information
Calibration of the UMax85 is currently in its infancy. I've not seen or heard of any professional calibrations yet. Many users report that, out of the box, the UMax85 is accurate or very accurate and very pleasing to the eye. As more people submit their settings, I'll add them here.

Standard Settings
These are Non-HDR and Non-Dolby Vision settings.

From @daniel17693 :

Light Control: [unknown]
Brightness
Backlight: 100
Brightness: 51
Contrast: 65
Adaptive contrast: Low

Color
Saturation: 55
Hue: 0
Color temperature: warm

Clarity
Sharpness: 55
Noise reduction: Off

Motion
Motion: High

Advanced
Gamma: 0
Color space: Native
White balance: 10 point
Select: On
Step: 10%
Red: 50
Green: 50
Blue: 50

DolbyVision Settings
TBD

HDR10 Settings

From @daniel17693 :

Light Control: [unknown]
Brightness
Backlight: 100
Brightness: 51
Contrast: 65
Adaptive contrast: Low

Color
Saturation: 55
Hue: 0
Color temperature: warm

Clarity
Sharpness: 80
Noise reduction: Off

Motion
Motion: High

Advanced
Gamma: 0
Color space: Native
White balance: 10 point
Select: On
Step: 10%
Red: 50
Green: 50
Blue: 50

Last edited by legolad; 04-14-2017 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Added Calibration info
post #3 of 622 Old 02-01-2017, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Legoland, thank you for setting this up. Where did you find that the display is a true 10 bit rather than an 8 bit with FRC? I still have not heard anything regarding delivery of my set. I am just somewhat patiently waiting. Are you thinking of getting your set calibrated? Would love to see the set if that was possible.

post #4 of 622 Old 02-01-2017, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Howard View Post
Legoland, thank you for setting this up. Where did you find that the display is a true 10 bit rather than an 8 bit with FRC? I still have not heard anything regarding delivery of my set. I am just somewhat patiently waiting. Are you thinking of getting your set calibrated? Would love to see the set if that was possible.
Hi B Howard.

I based the 10-bit panel info on the Spec web site I linked above. (http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/f2997e9)

I am thinking of getting it calibrated, but I thought I'd try my hand at DIY first. See how far I can take it myself. If I get it calibrated, I'll be sure to post the settings here.

post #5 of 622 Old 02-01-2017, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Congrats on finally receiving this beast!

Feel free to bring over my Harmony Remote setup posts. Also, do let us know if you're experiencing the same FALD non-stickiness issues a bunch of us are having - either way, would be good to post the LeEco forum links here regarding the issue.

Cheers!

P.S. Set to Movie mode, and set to Contrast to 75. Everything else was pretty spot on after my DIY calibration.
post #6 of 622 Old 02-01-2017, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 1516
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Howard View Post
All thing being equal, everyone would prefer a native 10bit panel, but really processing and color management are much more important. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between true 10-bit and 8bit + Frame Rate Control. I haven't heard anyone mention any problems with banding in the other thread. In all likelihood this is the panel UMAX is using.

http://www.panelook.com/V850DK1-QS1%...iew_26685.html
post #7 of 622 Old 02-01-2017, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
All thing being equal, everyone would prefer a native 10bit panel, but really processing and color management are much more important. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between true 10-bit and 8bit + Frame Rate Control. I haven't heard anyone mention any problems with banding in the other thread. In all likelihood this is the panel UMAX is using.

Yup, this was the panel I thought was being used. I too am not really concerned if the panel is true 10 bit or 8 bit plus FRC. Either way it should look great.
post #8 of 622 Old 02-01-2017, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I agree, Sytech. I think native 10-bit vs 8-bit FRC is a non-issue as long as the TV has good software and a chipset to back it up.
B Howard likes this.

post #9 of 622 Old 02-01-2017, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
In all likelihood this is the panel UMAX is using.

Is there something that makes us think this is the panel? I mean, how sure are we. I'd just like to be as accurate as possible.

post #10 of 622 Old 02-01-2017, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Still doing great for me picture wise.

Some issues I have though are with either Android TV, LeEco's implementation or the apps.

Kodi bogs down and have to force stop once in a while.

YouTube sometimes shows an empty YouTube screen. Normal YouTube home page for example, but no videos. Just blank red screen with the magnifying glass only in the upper left.

YouTube notifications keep popping up. I turned them off but they still show no matter what I am using.

Some other apps just won't start at all. Did reinstalls and same results. It is hard to imagine multiple apps being bad especially if they are made for Android TV.
post #11 of 622 Old 02-01-2017, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
If anyone has a workaround for the (known) ARC issue, let me know. I'd rather not have to hard reboot the TV every time I want surround sound for Netflix.
post #12 of 622 Old 02-01-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolad View Post
Is there something that makes us think this is the panel? I mean, how sure are we. I'd just like to be as accurate as possible.

Not many manufacturers of 85" MVA panels. Sony uses AUO. Samsung uses their own through co-op with China Star (CSOT). Everyone else mostly uses Innolux. They are the largest 85" supplier and the cheapest. As for that exact panel, when the orignal specs for the UMAX 85 leaked, they listed a 3000:1 to native contrast. Also, it is sold without a backlight unit, so Innolux or someone must be custom making the 448 zone 800 nit BLU for them.
larry888 and B Howard like this.
post #13 of 622 Old 02-01-2017, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Not many manufacturers of 85" MVA panels. Sony uses AUO. Samsung uses their own through co-op with China Star (CSOT). Everyone else mostly uses Innolux. They are the largest 85" supplier and the cheapest. As for that exact panel, when the orignal specs for the UMAX 85 leaked, they listed a 3000:1 to native contrast. Also, it is sold without a backlight unit, so Innolux or someone must be custom making the 448 zone 800 nit BLU for them.
Yep. I think it's possible you're right. Until we hear otherwise from LeEco (or other reliable source), we kind of have to take their word for it being 10-bit. That's what they've said in the forums.

post #14 of 622 Old 02-01-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Yep. I think it's possible you're right. Until we hear otherwise from LeEco (or other reliable source), we kind of have to take their word for it being 10-bit. That's what they've said in the forums.
If you notice on the top of the panelook page, it does say 10 bit. Probably meaning it can take a 10 bit signal and convert. I mean it is possible Innolux is making them a true 10 bit panel, but those are usually more expensive.
post #15 of 622 Old 02-01-2017, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you notice on the top of the panelook page, it does say 10 bit. Probably meaning it can take a 10 bit signal and convert. I mean it is possible Innolux is making them a true 10 bit panel, but those are usually more expensive.
Another great observation. Unless I'm mistaken, it's only the chipset that is different in a 10-bit vs 8-bit+FRC.

I have no idea just how different the chipset would be or, indeed, if it's just a single chip. If the hardware is very similar, I'd imagine the same panel could be driven by different chipsets. This might, in turn, lead to panels being listed as 8-bit even though later versions have the newer 10-bit chipset.

I reckon we'll find out soon enough.

post #16 of 622 Old 02-01-2017, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Does anyone else have network connectivity issues? I have connected the TV via Ethernet, and, separately, WiFi. But in both instances the TV will lose network connection after I have been accessing the internet through the TV's apps (from 15 mins to an hour).

Its very frustrating because I have to turn the TV off and back on again each time.

Notably, when I switch to the same apps on my PS4, no connectivity issues (and I have never otherwise experienced these issues).
post #17 of 622 Old 02-01-2017, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I don't have network connectivity problem.
I have a screen problem. I received my Umax today and noticed a blue blob on the screen (see the attached images). Does anyone know what may be the cause of this? I plan to call LeEco service tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9367.JPG
Views:	1255
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1938273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9368.JPG
Views:	5883
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	1938281  
post #18 of 622 Old 02-02-2017, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by hql37 View Post
I have a screen problem. I received my Umax today and noticed a blue blob on the screen (see the attached images). Does anyone know what may be the cause of this? I plan to call LeEco service tomorrow.

Sorry to see that. Please keep us posted as to how LeEco handles this situation. As a prospective owner, their reaction will weigh heavily.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #19 of 622 Old 02-02-2017, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney320 View Post
Does anyone else have network connectivity issues? I have connected the TV via Ethernet, and, separately, WiFi. But in both instances the TV will lose network connection after I have been accessing the internet through the TV's apps (from 15 mins to an hour).

Its very frustrating because I have to turn the TV off and back on again each time.

Notably, when I switch to the same apps on my PS4, no connectivity issues (and I have never otherwise experienced these issues).
I have not had this issue. When I first went through set-up I connected to wi-fi. Later I ran the ethernet cable and I found I had to disable the wi-fi to activate the cable. I might be wrong about this, but it's possible that your TV is still using wi-fi and not using the cable at all. Try turning off the wi-fi and then activate the ethernet connection. Also, the ethernet activation is not instantaneous. It take a little while (1 minute?) for the DHCP and network handshaking to finish. Once it does, I get very fast speeds, though I haven't downloaded the SpeedTest app yet to check it.
Cory Van Driessche likes this.

Last edited by legolad; 02-02-2017 at 07:26 AM.
post #20 of 622 Old 02-02-2017, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yikes. Definitely not normal. I wonder if one of those stuck pixel videos on Youtube might help in this scenario?

post #21 of 622 Old 02-02-2017, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by js1999 View Post
If anyone has a workaround for the (known) ARC issue, let me know. I'd rather not have to hard reboot the TV every time I want surround sound for Netflix.
I purchased an Optical Cable from Monoprice and connected it from the TV directly to my AVR. Works great and the sound quality seems better.
post #22 of 622 Old 02-02-2017, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Yikes. Definitely not normal. I wonder if one of those stuck pixel videos on Youtube might help in this scenario?
I called LeEco support today and they said they would process a replacement. They will have AIT pick up my TV and then ship a new one out afterward. They said to expect 6-8 business day for delivery of the new TV.
post #23 of 622 Old 02-02-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I called LeEco support today and they said they would process a replacement. They will have AIT pick up my TV and then ship a new one out afterward. They said to expect 6-8 business day for delivery of the new TV.
Thanks for the update. Very interesting that they have stock on hand in the US to get you a replacement straight away, but you still can't order one from their website.

Double True!
post #24 of 622 Old 02-02-2017, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Thanks for the update. Very interesting that they have stock on hand in the US to get you a replacement straight away, but you still can't order one from their website.
Yep. Either they are allotting a certain percentage of units for this purpose or they a taking units out of later (April?) shipments. I'd like to think it's the former. In my previous life we always held about 10% of our stock back for quick replacements. It went a long way toward customer satisfaction.

post #25 of 622 Old 02-02-2017, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Yep. Either they are allotting a certain percentage of units for this purpose or they a taking units out of later (April?) shipments. I'd like to think it's the former. In my previous life we always held about 10% of our stock back for quick replacements. It went a long way toward customer satisfaction.
Frankly, based on how many things LeEco effed up in this roll out, I'm surprised they remembered to do this at all

Double True!
post #26 of 622 Old 02-02-2017, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
I am happy to see a resolution to replace the malfunctioned unit. However, for someone who is still waiting to receive their order, this does not help toward customer satisfaction.
anthonymoody likes this.

Last edited by mrgigalevu; 02-02-2017 at 11:34 AM.
post #27 of 622 Old 02-02-2017, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 206
OK, enough foreplay ................

First person to pop in a BD of Avatar in 3d and report impressions of either being blown away (hopefully) or just slightly impressed gets an automatic like from me.
post #28 of 622 Old 02-02-2017, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean View Post
OK, enough foreplay ................

First person to pop in a BD of Avatar in 3d and report impressions of either being blown away (hopefully) or just slightly impressed gets an automatic like from me.
Looking at the specs for the Innolux panel that we think the uMax85 comes with, it looks to me like the active 3D technology is a polarized system, similar to what Vizio is using. That would result in less expensive glasses, when they become available (And maybe Vizio glasses will work too). This is generally called passive 3D, so LeEco's reference to active 3D doesn't track, but there is plenty about the uMax85 that is not known!
post #29 of 622 Old 02-02-2017, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDugan View Post
Looking at the specs for the Innolux panel that we think the uMax85 comes with, it looks to me like the active 3D technology is a polarized system, similar to what Vizio is using. That would result in less expensive glasses, when they become available (And maybe Vizio glasses will work too). This is generally called passive 3D, so LeEco's reference to active 3D doesn't track, but there is plenty about the uMax85 that is not known!
The glasses have a switch on them and they are battery-operated. I'm not an expert, but I think that precludes the possibility of them being Passive.
TravisBean and Arm3n like this.

post #30 of 622 Old 02-02-2017, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

If any of you encountered a problem getting your Eco-Pass activated, I'd like to hear about it.

In my case, I never got an email regarding the DirectTV code.
And during my initial TV setup, I was not prompted to activate the EcoPass. Nor was I offered a choice between Points and the DirectTV offer (something that is supposed to happen right after you log in, I believe.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolbyvision , hdr10 , leeco , uhd , umax85

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page