AVS Forum banner

Best Time To Buy TVs - Before or after the Superbowl?

4K views 57 replies 20 participants last post by  mclellan83 
#1 ·
Sorry I didn't know where on this site to put this thread. I am not sure if this forum is meant only for specific displays, so if mods want to move or delete this, no worries! I was going to ask this in the other thread I am asking about the 940D, but then I realized I have already derailed that thread quite enough already with all my sound system chatter. lol

That said, with all the talk of Superbowl sales, I decided to do some digging, and many review-type sites say that the week leading up to the Superbowl is when you get the best prices. But I have seen some people in this forum post that they think AFTER the Superbowl is best. I happen to agree with that, but then I am not an expert. So I put it to you folks, who all know way more about this than me:

Is it best to buy right before the Superbowl or is it best to buy After the Superbowl, since the new 2017 TVs are coming in a month or two?

Thanks everyone!

#3 ·
but a case can also be made for waiting till after when people who just bought a set to watch the game return it and you can get open box deals.
Hahahaha I never actually thought of this. The only problem I have with open box merchandise is you never know if the stuff was slightly abused by the returning owner. But its still a factor. I was thinking more in terms of the fact that after the Superbowl, sales would die down and retailers would want to stimulate more business once people aren't clamoring for sets to watch the biggest game of the year. Not to mention its that much closer to the 2017 releases. But my logic could be flawed.

#4 ·
You can buy the 940D right now on popular auction site for less than 2900

#6 ·
My question to you and to Mark Dymek is are those "superbowl rental returns" trustworthy? If people are unscrupulous enough to buy a TV for a Superbowl party specifically to return it, wouldn't there be a legitimate concern about short-term abuse. Things like rowdy guests spilling beer all over it, bumping the TV "accidentally" before returns maybe causing dead pixels? And stuff like that?

I could be paranoid, but it is something to think about.

#14 ·
Yeah I think I may have to get a little more aggressive about snagging a good deal on the 940D I want + all the accessories and accoutrements in the week or two following the game today. Hopefully the TV's will get one final surge of price reductions to make room for the 2017 models, which if I am not mistaken, come in March'ish?

#13 ·
whats the average age of tv tech? I always feel whenever I buy a tv its obsolete in a year or 2 lately...if thats the case, does it really matter?

#16 ·
I think the before/after Super Bowl question really comes down to each mfrs existing channel supply for a given model, lingering production, and timing for delivery of replacement 2017 models. I don't think we can make a blanket statement that "all TVs are more/less before/after the Super Bowl."

Use a cc with price protection and get what you like...most of these CCs cover a period of 30 - 90 days I believe. That way you can get last years stuff at incredible pricing, and have price protection stretching out into the Spring when much of the 2017 stuff will be shipping.

#19 ·
anthonymoddy, what do you mean by "cc?" Is that credit card? If so, I had no idea that credit cards offer price protection, particularly one so long as up to 90 days.

#24 ·
I picked up mine last week and now I am really glad I didn't wait! But I also assumed the $1798 was the new standard price since even Sony is currently showing that as the normal price on their website. Maybe see if Best Buy will price match. Actually while checking Sony if you go to Where To Buy the price jumps back up to $2199 so who knows. Hopefully it will drop again but you better keep a close eye and move quickly.

#18 ·
The best time to buy electronics is.....later

The impulse to "upgrade" TVs is endemic to AVS. It is an impulse that should be resisted unless one is wealthy, immobile and terminally ill.

TVs will always be cheaper going forward, just give them a couple months. A week before Thanksgiving often shows the lowest prices you will see for the next six months or so.

#33 ·
Best Buy has an interesting, ongoing deal going. If you use your BB credit card, you get a 5% discount on your purchases, and if you open the account the day you buy your gear, you get 10% off for that day only. If you are buying a TV like this plus a bunch of peripherals, you could save some money.

I already have a BB card, but I called my Dad and asked him to apply for one the day I buy my gear and we would just pay the whole balance off right away, so I can get the 10%. Something to consider. Just check your local Best Buy, because I am in Brooklyn, so I have no idea if this is something local to my area or not.

Reactions: jimsmith94
#35 ·
FYI, I went to Fry's and Best Buy today and the news is not good. Both compared my list of discount dealers and said none of them are authorized Sony dealers and they wouldn't price match them. We pretty much knew that, but they said the reason these sellers can sell so cheap is that they buy returned or broken sets, fix them up with non Sony parts and sell them as new at a big discount! While you might get a good deal, if anything goes wrong, once a Sony repair shop opens it up and sees the non-factory parts, they will refuse to work on it. While some or all of that may be true, I don't want to take a chance on such a high dollar purchase.

Both stores said it is very common for the prices to go up after the Super Bowl and they won't go back down until close to the release date of the next year's models. When they do, it will be a very short window and the TVs will be in very short supply because Sony is very good at reading the market so they don't get stuck with old inventory. The Best Buy guy said the new models are usually released in March or April

Of course the Fry's "salesman" tried very hard to get me to buy today and reminded me of their 30 day price match, so that is something to consider "if" the price drops in that time frame. The Best Buy guy checked every authorized dealer's web site he could find to see if he could find one with a lower price that he could match for me, but no luck. He did say that they will match Fry's pay-the-tax deal, so that is good.

I guess all we can do is monitor Sony's suggested retail price on their website and the prices at their authorized dealers sites and hope we can grab one if/when the price drops again.

#42 ·
Btw, I called my Chase Sapphire Reserve card about the Price Protection and they said items purchased on eBay are not eligible for price protection. (I mentioned that the purchase would be on eBay, not trying to price match eBay) but it didn't seem like it made a difference.

but I contacted Echo and Optics directly and they said they would send me a private Paypal invoice for the price on eBay (actually a little bit cheaper, and they said they'd throw in a warranty) Just waiting to hear back from them that they are legit before I place the order

#47 ·
Given the current price gouging by Sony, does anyone have any experience buying a "new" one from a local mom and pop shop on Craigslist? In my area there are currently three listed that way in the $1100 to $1200 range. They all offer a 30 day store warranty and one says new, never used but shows it in an open box.

None of them mention the manufacturer's warranty. Does anyone know how or where to check the warranty status with the serial number?

#48 ·
If you cannot prove that you purchased it from an authorized dealer, when it comes to Sony or Samsung, it has no factory warranty. There is no looking it up, because one of the first things these companies do is ask for proof-of-purchase. If you cannot provide it, you're SOL and they'll nicely tell you that you should have purchased it from an authorized dealer. LG is more lenient on this, at least for now.

Reactions: jimsmith94
#49 ·
In relation to Super Bowl rentals, as someone mentioned earlier YMMV but it has worked out in my experience. We bought one 7 years ago and the picture is just as perfect today (I'm looking at it right now in fact) as it was the day we took it out of the previously opened box. I feel like it's worth a shot for the price savings. You can always take it back if there's something wrong with it. If they let you check it out before you leave the store even better.

#51 ·
So how did all of this work out? I am starting to want a new TV mainly because my 65" plasma is bending the bridge it hangs on my entertainment center and it is just a 1080p plasma. So want to get one but not in major need and want to get the best deal possible since I can wait

#52 ·
imo.. and "it's just an opinion ".... wait , that is if you like your current tv enough to keep watching it.. tv's are now "throw away tech" .. your basically renting them to display the manufacturer's os and tv programs...think of them as a big tablet ...

#56 ·
Yeah I figured that, I won't have the luck from what I hear with that though because they say they are pretty good at not letting the good models have many left over they have to get rid of. I usually hate the idea of open box items but the buying a TV that was used just for the Super Bowl peeked my interest. I will probably try to see what's there, it is something that still makes me nervous but could wait until March/April if need be. Will give me some time to do some research on which model to get, I have always been a Sony guy but got to say this Samsung plasma has really held up well considering I bought it used on Craiglist when it seemed nobody wanted plasma's anymore

#57 · (Edited)
If you've got a large budget this is the best time to get deep discounts however still expensive tvs. If you're ok with a tv with hours all those floor models gotta go. Last year I saw a q9fn 65 go for $800 open box at bestbuy because it was missing the stand. So there are deals to be had but with compromises and caveats

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.