Is There a Dearth of 85" flat panel sets? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By sytech
  • 1 Post By Ftoast
  • 1 Post By sytech
  • 1 Post By KidHorn

post #1 of 9 Old 02-12-2017, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Is There a Dearth of 85" flat panel sets?

I own a 3 year old then middle of the line 75" Samsung. I like it. I don't love it. I am building a new media room which will be quite large in comparison to my current living room where the 75" is. Current LR is 23' x 12'.

New room will be 23' x 23'.

I am seriously considering a projector and 120" screen but am very afraid I will not be happy with it. Friend of mine, in a light controlled basement with black surrounding his expensive screen, has a Epson 5030 projector. His picture is nothing to write home about. And my room will not be easily light controlled with a cathedral ceiling and two large dormers with windows.

So, I'm back to considering a flat panel. But having owned the 75, I want bigger. I want 85. I dislike curved screens.

I've looked at many sites and it seems there are maybe 3 or 4 to choose from. Am I missing something?

Am I also making a mistake in wanting that large by thinking that an upgraded 75" with SUHD will be a lateral move from what I have now? I figured if I got a projector and screen it would run me about 6 or 7k, so an 85 in the 7-8k range is not that much more of a stretch. I've seen the LG 86", which is almost 10k, but don't think it's worth it.

The LeEco looks good, but it's so hit and miss and the ability to get one seems like hitting lotto.

What is one to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-12-2017, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2000 Post(s)
Liked: 1411
There are not many options, but that was because the high price made them sell in low volume. That is starting to change with these cheaper 85" + Chinese panels.

There are hold over 2016 85" sets from Sony and Samsung. Anything at 86" is using an LG IPS panel. Good viewing angles, but subpar blacks. I believe Sony uses AUO VA panels for their 85" and Samsung uses China Star. Everyone else uses Innolux VA panels. Your best bet is currently the UMAX 85, when they come back in stock in March/April. There is simply no better size/price/performance display currently available. Here are a few other new 85" and up options.

UMAX 85" $4K on sale/ $5K regular price.
Hisense 86" QDs $6K
Samsung 88" 88Q9 $18K
Philips 86" 86PFL6902 $4K
Philips 98" 98PFL7902 $20K
Sony 100" 100Z9D $50K

No price or release date yet.

Sony 85" Edge lit update
Vizio 80/85? P
UMAX 85Q Improved with QD.
MDJAK likes this.

DON'T ARGUE WITH ME. I AM NEVER WONG.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-13-2017, 03:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked: 626
If you end up giving the projection route a shot you could be looking at around $2500 for a nice ~$1900 Sony 45es (sharp, quiet, bright, fast and accurate) an adjustable ~$200 Chief mount and ~$300 for a good fixed-frame 120" screen like the SilverTicket white or grey (not the silver). Aside from putting some curtains along the windows, your high ceiling and 23' room width should help cut down the worst of the reflection problems since there won't be anything terribly close to the screen.
Not sure if that will make it any more worth considering to you, but you're certainly getting to the size range where projection can become a good option.
MDJAK likes this.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

post #4 of 9 Old 02-13-2017, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both.

I looked for the Hisense and don't see any an 86 anywhere, even on their site.

The Samsung you are speaking of, is that curved? I don't see that either.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-13-2017, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2000 Post(s)
Liked: 1411
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
Thank you both.

I looked for the Hisense and don't see any an 86 anywhere, even on their site.

The Samsung you are speaking of, is that curved? I don't see that either.
It was announced at CES this year, but a lot of their stuff turns into vaporware or becomes only for the Chinese market. Rumored release was around June.
MDJAK likes this.

DON'T ARGUE WITH ME. I AM NEVER WONG.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-13-2017, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1379 Post(s)
Liked: 886
If you want UHD, projectors are out unless you want to spend 8 grand.
MDJAK likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-14-2017, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Not sure I'd want an 85" panel. Yeah, it'd be sweet, but very unwieldy. At that size, I'd want a PJ screen, or better yet, one of those "wallpaper" OLEDs.
post #8 of 9 Old Today, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
It was announced at CES this year, but a lot of their stuff turns into vaporware or becomes only for the Chinese market. Rumored release was around June.
I actually see on B&H.com the Hisense listed with no exact date. But B&H, being as reliable as they are, doesn't usually list things that aren't going to materialize. I think they have the Hisense 85,or maybe it's an 86, at 6 grand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
If you want UHD, projectors are out unless you want to spend 8 grand.
I was unaware of that. Thank you. Does that mean not a real 4k projector because those are even more expensive?
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by In.vincible View Post
Not sure I'd want an 85" panel. Yeah, it'd be sweet, but very unwieldy. At that size, I'd want a PJ screen, or better yet, one of those "wallpaper" OLEDs.
Those wallpaper OLEDs scare me a bit, super-thin, super-fragile, and super-expensive, that's a dangerous combo.

Then again, you have the same issue with huge flatscreens, between all of the places that you can't put pressure on them for risk of damage and the overall awkward size and weight, anything over a 65" ends up being a two-person job to move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page