AVS Forum banner

Buying a display model

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Otto Pylot 
#1 ·
Wanted to ask as I am looking to upgrade my 7 year old Samsung 63" plasma for a new 4k LCD tv. As the new 2017 tv's come in I imagine some older 2016 floor models will go up for sale at a discounted rate. The question is, what should I look for or consider? What is the typical lifespan of an LCD these days. Obviously these display units would have been run on "Torch" mode for up to a year. With LCD's I dont have to worry about burn in like my plasma, so that is good but are there other considerations that I should be looking at? Also, are there any glaring reasons why I should not consider one of these units?

Thanks in advance

#3 ·
Decide what you want first in a 4k tv. Being in torch mode for hours at at time, 7 days a week will shorten the lifespan but it all depends on the model of tv as to how that translates into MTBF (Meant Time Between Failure). If you find a model you like, you can always look that info up and then guesstimate how long the panel you're considering has been on. Look at the remote that will come with it to get an idea of the amount of wear on it. Look very closely at the warranty and what it covers, especially for a demo model that has been handled by lots of customers. You can get really good deals on floor models but remember, you're still purchasing a used tv that has been handled by a lot of people and you just don't know what has been done to that tv. The price may be good but if it craps out after a year or whenever the warranty runs out, that great deal is not so great anymore.

#5 ·
Torch mode can shorten the life of the panel but by how much has not been calculated as far as I know, and of course depends upon other factors. It just makes sense that if you crank the brightness up to maximum for hours at a time, days, weeks, months, years on end that you will shorten the life of the panel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.