Samsung Q9 65″ QLED HDR LCD TV: First Look - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 929Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #481 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 01:53 AM
Senior Member
 
OLED4UNME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Yes the Q9 is able to fully shut off the zones in the letterbox area and the result is genuinely black, stable letterbox bars.
Except even FALD's which can also shut off zones in the area of the black bars, have issues when there is bright content right next to where the edge of the letterbox bars begin. The light seeps or bleeds into the black bars.

For example, Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince at around 29:20 - 32:05 is a good torture test, when in the Great Hall there are candles floating everywhere and flames from torches near the black bars. The flames from the candles which are floating are right next to the edge of the top black bar, and even on good FALD's like the Z9D, one can observe light seepage. On scenes like this, the OLEDs assert their superiority in blacks. I would be extremely surprised if there wasn't any visible light seepage into the black bars on the Q9 with these scenes.

So I would disagree with the assessment that the black bars are always genuinely black and stable. I have only truly seen this with my OLEDs.
OLED4UNME is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #482 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 11,115
Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5598 Post(s)
Liked: 9627
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLED4UNME View Post
Except even FALD's which can also shut off zones in the area of the black bars, have issues when there is bright content right next to where the edge of the letterbox bars begin. The light seeps or bleeds into the black bars.

For example, Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince at around 29:20 - 32:05 is a good torture test, when in the Great Hall there are candles floating everywhere and flames from torches near the black bars. The flames from the candles which are floating are right next to the edge of the top black bar, and even on good FALD's like the Z9D, one can observe light seepage. On scenes like this, the OLEDs assert their superiority in blacks. I would be extremely surprised if there wasn't any visible light seepage into the black bars on the Q9 with these scenes.

So I would disagree with the assessment that the black bars are always genuinely black and stable. I have only truly seen this with my OLEDs.

I'm glad you found the right TV to suit your needs and to match your user name, @OLED4UNME .

OLEDs do indeed have the best, blackest letterbox bars. Perfect.

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 03-30-2017 at 03:27 AM.
imagic is online now  
post #483 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 02:54 AM
Senior Member
 
OLED4UNME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I'm glad you found the right TV to suit your needs and to match your user name, @OLED4UNME .
Not sure what you are trying to insinuate, by mentioning my screen name , but full disclosure, I ditched my C6 OLED and picked up a Z9D. For my needs, the Z9D is a better overall display than 2016 LG OLED. The Z9D may only be, let's say, oh, about 85% as good with blacks as the LG OLED, but the advantage in black levels on the LG is erased by artifacts/noise in above black, and crushing of shadow detail.

So, 2016 LG OLED clearly wins in blacks, and the Z9D clearly wins in above blacks, with a very clean noise-free presentation with appropriate shadow detail. So, basically a wash. Colors? I would judge that also mostly a wash, since both can be dialed in to the point that most everyone will be happy with the colors on both.

So, then we come to things like motion, HDR performance, processing, 3D (for those who care), bright room performance, viewing angles and such. The Z9D does better motion, better HDR, has much better processing of all sources, including lower-quality compressed sources, better bright room performance. The OLED has better passive 3D, but I consider good HDR (the future) more important than good 3D (the past).

Sure, the OLED has much better viewing angles, but then again, the Z9D does better in a sun-drenched room, and has the added versatility of no image retention issues or risk of uneven aging, so its well-suited to computer monitor usage, and hard-core gaming sessions.

So overall, even though my screen name implies OLED fanboy, my pick for the current overall best display on the market is an LCD. At least for another week or so, until the Sony OLED is released. It will likely dethrone the aging Z9D as the best overall display of 2017, that is, if one can live without 3D.

My point still stands. You should see plenty of light seepage into the black bars of the Q9 on scenes like the example of Harry Potter I gave above. I expect that you should at least mention this in your review.

No way the letterbox bars on the Q9 look completely pitch black like OLED black bars. There is always some seepage.
skoolpsyk and olof79 like this.
OLED4UNME is offline  
 
post #484 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 11,115
Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5598 Post(s)
Liked: 9627
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLED4UNME;51881193[B
]Not sure what you are trying to insinuate, by mentioning my screen name [/B], but full disclosure, I ditched my C6 OLED and picked up a Z9D. For my needs, the Z9D is a better overall display than 2016 LG OLED. The Z9D may only be, let's say, oh, about 85% as good of blacks as LG OLED, but the advantage in black levels is erased by artifacts/noise in above black, and crushing of shadow detail.

So, 2016 LG OLED clearly wins in blacks, and the Z9D clearly wins in above blacks, with a very clean noise-free presentation with appropriate shadow detail. So, basically a wash. Colors? I would judge that also mostly a wash, since both can be dialed in to the point that most everyone will be happy with the colors on both.

So, then we come to things like motion, HDR performance, processing, 3D (for those who care), bright room performance, viewing angles and such. The Z9D does better motion, better HDR, has much better processing of all sources, including lower-quality compressed sources, better bright room performance. The OLED has better passive 3D, but I consider good HDR (the future) more important than good 3D (the past).

Sure, the OLED has much better viewing angles, but then again, the Z9D does better in a sun-drenched room, and has the added versatility of no image retention issues or risk of uneven aging, so its well-suited to computer monitor usage, and hard-core gaming sessions.

So overall, even though my screen name implies OLED fanboy,
my pick for the current overall best display on the market is an LCD. At least for another week or so, until the Sony OLED is released. It will likely dethrone the aging Z9D as the best overall display of 2017, that is, if one can live without 3D.

My point still stands. You should see plenty of light seepage into the black bars of the Q9 on scenes like the example of Harry Potter I gave above. I expect that you should at least mention this in your review.

No way the letterbox bars on the Q9 look completely pitch black like OLED black bars. There is always some seepage.
I insinuate nothing, as you note, your username is self explanatory! And I appreciate your reply, it's very insightful.

One thing is for sure... Can't get blacker than black, so discussing OLED letterbox bars will always amount to the conclusion you outline. It's inarguable! OLED letterbox bars are always perfectly black, to the pixel, thanks to the emissive nature of the technology.

And yes there will be measurable leakage in a side-edgelit QLED-LCD's letterbox bars, as there is with FALD. It' a relative thing... So far, from what I have seen, the Q9 has kept that leakage very well under control but ymmv.

And all that you describe about the Z9D are also the plusses of the Q9.

Anyhow, thanks for all the elaboration.

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 03-30-2017 at 04:20 AM.
imagic is online now  
post #485 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 03:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Viper32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,026
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked: 871
If some of us would have made certain comments made here we would get infractions. Really o=dd how things are not the same for all.
anthonymoody likes this.

Current Sets: Sony XBR75X940C, Sony XBR75X940D, Samsung UN65KS9800, , UN55KS8500, UN49JS8500
Previous Sets: Sony XBR65X930D, XBR65X900B, XBR49X830C, Samsung KS8000, KU6500, JS9000, JU7090, JU6500, JU6400, HU9000, HU7250, PN64F8500, Vizio P65, LG 65EF9500, LG 55EC9300, Hisense 55H8C
Viper32 is offline  
post #486 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 03:16 AM
Senior Member
 
OLED4UNME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
And all that you describe about the Z9D are also the plusses of the Q9.
Sure, many of them. Except, um, the Q9 has a measly 32 zones, and the Z9 has approximately 648 individually addressable LEDs. Yet, the Q9 MSRP is $500 more. Oh, but I guess the Q9 is much sleeker and thinner and has a cooler remote! That counts for something...
OLED4UNME is offline  
post #487 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 11,115
Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5598 Post(s)
Liked: 9627
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLED4UNME View Post
Sure, many of them. Except, um, the Q9 has a measly 32 zones, and the Z9 has approximately 648 individually addressable LEDs. Yet, the Q9 MSRP is $500 more. Oh, but I guess the Q9 is much sleeker and thinner and has a cooler remote! That counts for something...
Still stands... Glad you found the right TV for you. That's the key.

Mark Henninger
imagic is online now  
post #488 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 384
John Archer with Forbes has his full review of the Q9 up. sorry dont have the link, im on my cell phone!
King Richard likes this.
wmoss35 is online now  
post #489 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
3dprojector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoss35 View Post
John Archer with Forbes has his full review of the Q9 up. sorry dont have the link, im on my cell phone!
thanks,I was hoping to beat Ray on this
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#3015342e193b
OLED4UNME and King Richard like this.
3dprojector is online now  
post #490 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 6,661
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
I am more of a tweaker crack not strong enough
I know that blooming and Haloing are non issue on Ks9800. Read previous page, comment based on my experience ...
Enjoy the tweaking, but remember: your anecdotal experience >< a representative sample of reality.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #491 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 6,661
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Hmm. Archer writes"

"As noted before, the set is capable of hitting far brighter peaks than the KS9800 could, immediately making HDR highlights look punchier and more satisfying. But the screen can also plunge into deeper blacks than the KS9800, despite that screen using direct lighting and being one of 2016’s best TVs where black levels are concerned."

That seems surprising to say the least. He also however writes:

"Normally when I’m discussing a TV’s performance I’m describing the way they look in a pretty dark ‘movie night’ environment. The QE65Q9F, though, makes me question that reviewing approach. Why? Because its screen’s new anti-reflection, ambient light filters are so incredible that they let you watch it in all sorts of ambient natural light without the picture losing contrast or color. Running the QE65Q9F side by side with the 65KS9800 in a daylight room setting is a revelation given how much paler, flatter and less contrasty the 65KS9800’s images become relative to those of the QE65Q9F.

Samsung suggested to me at the CES that it wanted to focus this year on delivering HDR pictures that look great in the sort of bright rooms most households spend most of their time watching TV in. And it’s fair to say it’s achieved that goal almost magically, well."

I saw another write-up (HDGuru I believe) talk about this. I personally have my doubts that the Q9 can stand up to the better FALD LCDs in a dark 'movie night' environment as Archer puts it. Especially when Archer goes on to write about the cardinal sin of edge-lit LCDs:

"Problem two is that while Samsung has on one level worked miracles with the management (including local dimming controls) of its horizontal edge lighting system, some very contrast-heavy HDR scenes can cause you to see gentle light banding at the sides of the image at the height level where a particularly bright HDR highlight stands out against a dark backdrop."

He doesn't mention SDR, and says the HDR problem is only occasional.

Net net, Samsung has obviously done some amazing things with the Q9 in terms of brightness, color, and image processing. But I'll have to see the Q9 side by side with a KS98 in a dark room before I'd believe that its blacks measure blacker or that its flash lighting issues don't torpedo the experience.

Mark you doing this?
olof79, King Richard and fida like this.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #492 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 11,115
Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5598 Post(s)
Liked: 9627
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Hmm. Archer writes"

"As noted before, the set is capable of hitting far brighter peaks than the KS9800 could, immediately making HDR highlights look punchier and more satisfying. But the screen can also plunge into deeper blacks than the KS9800, despite that screen using direct lighting and being one of 2016’s best TVs where black levels are concerned."

That seems surprising to say the least. He also however writes:

"Normally when I’m discussing a TV’s performance I’m describing the way they look in a pretty dark ‘movie night’ environment. The QE65Q9F, though, makes me question that reviewing approach. Why? Because its screen’s new anti-reflection, ambient light filters are so incredible that they let you watch it in all sorts of ambient natural light without the picture losing contrast or color. Running the QE65Q9F side by side with the 65KS9800 in a daylight room setting is a revelation given how much paler, flatter and less contrasty the 65KS9800’s images become relative to those of the QE65Q9F.

Samsung suggested to me at the CES that it wanted to focus this year on delivering HDR pictures that look great in the sort of bright rooms most households spend most of their time watching TV in. And it’s fair to say it’s achieved that goal almost magically, well."

I saw another write-up (HDGuru I believe) talk about this. I personally have my doubts that the Q9 can stand up to the better FALD LCDs in a dark 'movie night' environment as Archer puts it. Especially when Archer goes on to write about the cardinal sin of edge-lit LCDs:

"Problem two is that while Samsung has on one level worked miracles with the management (including local dimming controls) of its horizontal edge lighting system, some very contrast-heavy HDR scenes can cause you to see gentle light banding at the sides of the image at the height level where a particularly bright HDR highlight stands out against a dark backdrop."

He doesn't mention SDR, and says the HDR problem is only occasional.

Net net, Samsung has obviously done some amazing things with the Q9 in terms of brightness, color, and image processing. But I'll have to see the Q9 side by side with a KS98 in a dark room before I'd believe that its blacks measure blacker or that its flash lighting issues don't torpedo the experience.

Mark you doing this?
Yes. I am comparing Q9 to KS9800. I aim to post a review—tomorrow—of the factory Q9 that I got yesterday. It's still in a box. Forbes reviewed a pre-production model; the shipping units just arrived in the US a couple days ago.

AVS Forum editorial policy is pre-production can only be first-look or hands-on. Calling it a review means measuring something that came in retail packaging, so here I am racing to get something done now.

Full disclosure, my factory Q9 is still provided by Samsung.

I have not read the Forbes review in full yet but will check it out. Just got around to coffee. Holy cow it's gonna be a busy day.

Anyhow, even after I post I'll still have both TVs so I'll keep comparing and commenting. But right now my top goal is to get this thing calibrated and measured so I can wrap the review and post.
sikclown, Al Leong and mrtickleuk like this.

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 03-30-2017 at 06:40 AM.
imagic is online now  
post #493 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 11,115
Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5598 Post(s)
Liked: 9627
Pre-unbox state...


Mark Henninger
imagic is online now  
post #494 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I have to say scanning for channels in the background of setup is a pretty great feature. Not worth buying a tv for, but I'd love to see it spread.

Setups:
Spoiler!
dkfan9 is online now  
post #495 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 6,661
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Yes. I am comparing Q9 to KS9800. I aim to post a review—tomorrow—of the factory Q9 that I got yesterday. It's still in a box. Forbes reviewed a pre-production model; the shipping units just arrived in the US a couple days ago.

AVS Forum editorial policy is pre-production can only be first-look or hands-on. Calling it a review means measuring something that came in retail packaging, so here I am racing to get something done now.

Full disclosure, my factory Q9 is still provided by Samsung.

I have not read the Forbes review in full yet but will check it out. Just got around to coffee. Holy cow it's gonna be a busy day.

Anyhow, even after I post I'll still have both TVs so I'll keep comparing and commenting. But right now my top goal is to get this thing calibrated and measured so I can wrap the review and post.
Thanks. Please give a little extra time (see how easy it is for me to spend your time? ) watching dark content in the dark, the way some of us do. I'm highly skeptical of Archer's claim that "the [Q9] screen can also plunge into deeper blacks than the KS9800" as that not only defies logic but also contradicts your early comments...

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #496 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 11,115
Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5598 Post(s)
Liked: 9627
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Thanks. Please give a little extra time (see how easy it is for me to spend your time? ) watching dark content in the dark, the way some of us do. I'm highly skeptical of Archer's claim that "the [Q9] screen can also plunge into deeper blacks than the KS9800" as that not only defies logic but also contradicts your early comments...
Yup. And even after I post the review, I'll still have the two TVs to compare and will be a part of the discussion.

Let's remember now, AFAIK this Q9 I got yesterday is the FIRST production Q9 anyone's gonna be talking about. Everything discussed thus far has been either prototype or pre-production until now...
player002 and mrtickleuk like this.

Mark Henninger
imagic is online now  
post #497 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 6,661
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Yup. And even after I post the review, I'll still have the two TVs to compare and will be a part of the discussion.

Let's remember now, AFAIK this is the FIRST production Q9 anyone's talking about. Everything discussed has been either prototype or pre-production until now...
Yup and I for one very much appreciate the distinction.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #498 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
player002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,544
Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3467 Post(s)
Liked: 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post
thanks,I was hoping to beat Ray on this
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#3015342e193b
lol #Savage ಠ‿ಠ

55KS8000/65HU8700- SEK 3500U/60F8500/51D6900/46B650/Onkyo TX-NR616
Xbox one/PS4/PC R9 290/Wii U
player002 is offline  
post #499 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
3dprojector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Thanks. Please give a little extra time (see how easy it is for me to spend your time? ) watching dark content in the dark, the way some of us do. I'm highly skeptical of Archer's claim that "the [Q9] screen can also plunge into deeper blacks than the KS9800" as that not only defies logic but also contradicts your early comments...
we have learned in science that logic never been an absolute certainty,1+1 could be 2,3 or 7 !
that was a general statement,though it's been proven very true.
3dprojector is online now  
post #500 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 09:52 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Yup. And even after I post the review, I'll still have the two TVs to compare and will be a part of the discussion.

Let's remember now, AFAIK this Q9 I got yesterday is the FIRST production Q9 anyone's gonna be talking about. Everything discussed thus far has been either prototype or pre-production until now...
Mark,
I wanted to begin by thanking you for all of the work you have done reviewing and commenting on the Q9. I have learned a lot in the past several weeks since I began reading this forum.
I am definitely a novice to flat screen TVs, and in fact still have a 32" CRT TV that is at least 15+ years old. I keep telling my wife that I will purchase a flat screen TV when our current TV dies. Well .... It is still going.
So I decided 2 days ago that I am not waiting any longer. I purchased a 65" Q9 from Best Buy, sight unseen since they only have the Q7 on display. I pick up my new TV on Saturday after it is delivered to the store from their warehouse.
It is the 1st one they have sold from their Best Buy store in Tacoma, WA. The Samsung rep happened to be in the store when I was there and answered all of my questions. He even had is picture taken with me. I was able to get Best Buy to throw in the "No Gap Wall Mount" for free (a $150 value). Problem is that it is not available in their system yet.
By opening up a Best Buy credit card I will be getting 10% ($600) of credit in the store which I will use towards a 4K Blue Ray player, Roku Ultra, and other related items.
I am looking forward to setting up my new toy this weekend and will continue to monitor this sight reading the ongoing comments and your upcoming final review.
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !!!
Chris
LCDnovice is offline  
post #501 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
 
ironsurvivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDnovice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Yup. And even after I post the review, I'll still have the two TVs to compare and will be a part of the discussion.

Let's remember now, AFAIK this Q9 I got yesterday is the FIRST production Q9 anyone's gonna be talking about. Everything discussed thus far has been either prototype or pre-production until now...
Mark,
I wanted to begin by thanking you for all of the work you have done reviewing and commenting on the Q9. I have learned a lot in the past several weeks since I began reading this forum.
I am definitely a novice to flat screen TVs, and in fact still have a 32" CRT TV that is at least 15+ years old. I keep telling my wife that I will purchase a flat screen TV when our current TV dies. Well .... It is still going.
So I decided 2 days ago that I am not waiting any longer. I purchased a 65" Q9 from Best Buy, sight unseen since they only have the Q7 on display. I pick up my new TV on Saturday after it is delivered to the store from their warehouse.
It is the 1st one they have sold from their Best Buy store in Tacoma, WA. The Samsung rep happened to be in the store when I was there and answered all of my questions. He even had is picture taken with me. I was able to get Best Buy to throw in the "No Gap Wall Mount" for free (a $150 value). Problem is that it is not available in their system yet.
By opening up a Best Buy credit card I will be getting 10% ($600) of credit in the store which I will use towards a 4K Blue Ray player, Roku Ultra, and other related items.
I am looking forward to setting up my new toy this weekend and will continue to monitor this sight reading the ongoing comments and your upcoming final review.
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !!!
Chris
Whenever you get it start an owners thread!
ironsurvivor is online now  
post #502 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 11:21 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsurvivor View Post
Whenever you get it start an owners thread!
OK. Will do. Not sure how to do that since I am new to this but am sure I should be able to figure it out.
Thanks for the suggestion.
LCDnovice is offline  
post #503 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 11:27 AM
Member
 
DrJayDub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Per John Archer of Forbes regarding the Q9: "Up first on the naughty list is the appearance of some occasionally quite defined color striping over areas of HDR pictures that should appear as smooth, subtle color blends. The skies above Moses as he rests at dusk by the Red Sea in Exodus: Gods And Kings and the white clouds billowing around the aliens in Arrival are particularly obvious examples of this issue, but they’re not the only ones."

Could this be the color banding that fafrd saw up close with the prototype Q9 at CES? imagic, if you have time, could you look to see if you see the same thing on the retail Q9 you have?

Also, John Archer reports that he sees better off angle color, but still see a loss of contrast at 30% off angle. Imagic, are you seeing something similar with your preproduction and retail Q9 sets? Thanks in advance!

Yup, I got stuff...
Panasonic 60ZT60, LG 55EG9100
Pioneer Elite SC-87, Oppo BDP-103D, PSB Synchrony two mains, center and surrounds.
XBox One
DrJayDub is offline  
post #504 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 11,115
Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5598 Post(s)
Liked: 9627
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJayDub View Post
Per John Archer of Forbes regarding the Q9: "Up first on the naughty list is the appearance of some occasionally quite defined color striping over areas of HDR pictures that should appear as smooth, subtle color blends. The skies above Moses as he rests at dusk by the Red Sea in Exodus: Gods And Kings and the white clouds billowing around the aliens in Arrival are particularly obvious examples of this issue, but they’re not the only ones."

Could this be the color banding that fafrd saw up close with the prototype Q9 at CES? imagic, if you have time, could you look to see if you see the same thing on the retail Q9 you have?

Also, John Archer reports that he sees better off angle color, but still see a loss of contrast at 30% off angle. Imagic, are you seeing something similar with your preproduction and retail Q9 sets? Thanks in advance!
I'm gunning for a published review tomorrow. I have Exodus. I'll measure contrast loss vs. the pre-production unit. Hang tight, here's the scene in my living room right now...

mpgxsvcd likes this.

Mark Henninger
imagic is online now  
post #505 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 11:38 AM
Member
 
DrJayDub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I'm gunning for a published review tomorrow. I have Exodus. I'll measure contrast loss vs. the pre-production unit. Hang tight, here's the scene in my living room right now...

Thanks for the hard work imagic!

Yup, I got stuff...
Panasonic 60ZT60, LG 55EG9100
Pioneer Elite SC-87, Oppo BDP-103D, PSB Synchrony two mains, center and surrounds.
XBox One
DrJayDub is offline  
post #506 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 6,661
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 471
I SEE TERRIBLE LIGHT STREAKING IN ON THE UPPER LEFT CORNER!!!!11!!!1!!

I kid.
ataneruo likes this.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #507 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 11,115
Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5598 Post(s)
Liked: 9627
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLED4UNME View Post
Except even FALD's which can also shut off zones in the area of the black bars, have issues when there is bright content right next to where the edge of the letterbox bars begin. The light seeps or bleeds into the black bars.

For example, Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince at around 29:20 - 32:05 is a good torture test, when in the Great Hall there are candles floating everywhere and flames from torches near the black bars. The flames from the candles which are floating are right next to the edge of the top black bar, and even on good FALD's like the Z9D, one can observe light seepage. On scenes like this, the OLEDs assert their superiority in blacks. I would be extremely surprised if there wasn't any visible light seepage into the black bars on the Q9 with these scenes.

So I would disagree with the assessment that the black bars are always genuinely black and stable. I have only truly seen this with my OLEDs.
Thank you for pointing out that scene in Harry Potter. Yes, a real torture test, no question. Just played it for my review. Measured the black in the bars, too. The Q9 is doing an amazing job, the bars remain perceptually black. Measurements show minor fluctuation that the eye does not pick up. IMO, FALD halos leaking into the letterbox bars are often more noticeable and distracting than what I'm seeing here. For an LCD, this TV handles letterbox content extremely well.
King Richard and mrtickleuk like this.

Mark Henninger
imagic is online now  
post #508 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
AnotherDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I'm gunning for a published review tomorrow. I have Exodus. I'll measure contrast loss vs. the pre-production unit. Hang tight, here's the scene in my living room right now...

Well, it's definitely edge-lit!!
AnotherDude is online now  
post #509 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 03:13 PM
Senior Member
 
OLED4UNME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
I'm highly skeptical of Archer's claim that "the [Q9] screen can also plunge into deeper blacks than the KS9800" as that not only defies logic but also contradicts your early comments...
It could be possible and not illogical if the native contrast of the underlying panel is significantly better than last year's KS9800. The native contrast of the LCD panel will have the most significant impact on black levels, not the relatively small difference between 32 and 150 zones. Having said that, I have no idea if this year's LCD panel has made any leap or significant improvement in contrast levels. Typically we see only incremental improvements in this area, year to year, and not great leaps. Some strides also could have been made in the area of cutting down internal reflections, which could also help with the black levels.
OLED4UNME is offline  
post #510 of 608 Old 03-30-2017, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 11,115
Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5598 Post(s)
Liked: 9627
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
Well, it's definitely edge-lit!!
Are you capable of explaining your comment further? It's been established that it's edgelit. Now, pertaining to this image you commented on, are you mistaking the reflection on the top left for flashlighting? Because that's what you see. Those squares in that pattern have great uniformity.
ataneruo likes this.

Mark Henninger
imagic is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
q9 qled , qled , Samsung , samsung q9

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off