Video of Samsung Product-Launch Event - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes
  • 1 Post By Scott Wilkinson
  • 6 Post By robert9674
  • 1 Post By jimv1983
  • 1 Post By Kadath
  • 2 Post By Viche
  • 1 Post By fierce_gt
  • 2 Post By Ozymandis
  • 1 Post By Viche
  • 1 Post By Kadath
  • 1 Post By Viche

Old 03-17-2017, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked: 4002
Video of Samsung Product-Launch Event

Heavy snow forced the cancellation of Samsung's product-launch event this week in NYC, but that didn't stop the company from recording the presentation on video. Most of the presentation is about the QLED TVs, but they also talk about the UBD-M9500 UHD Blu-ray player and MS750 soundbar.

http://www.avsforum.com/samsung-prod...h-event-video/
King Richard likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by Scott Wilkinson; 03-17-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Nothing under 50". Darnit. Was hoping to get something 40" to use as a monitor.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Edge lit for 6k? Samsung is on crack. Why would anyone with a bit of sense pay 6k for a edge lit Tv.....I think they ar hoping to pull fast one on people by naming their new tv Qled so people think it's comparable to Oled. Hergo the price so close to Oled. Sneaky Sneaky....
Ozymandis, DAB, nickinhb and 3 others like this.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Came for only the soundbar. Don't really care about overhyped edgelits in 2017.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Edge lit, no Dolby Vision, and $6k for a 65" seems like a very tough sell against a 2017 OLED. Samsung must be a little desperate to actually call these "QLEDs."
Old 03-18-2017, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 58
So Samsung is using dishonest marketing to make people believe it's some new technology to sell more TVs. The "Q" in QLED just refers to using quantum dots for the backlight which is exactly what the "S" in SUHD was referring to. Just another edge-lit LCD.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 229
'Imagine your tv as the hub of an ambient entertainment system'

No thanks.

Edle lit and no Dolby Vision? No thanks.

These guys have gone nuts
mpgxsvcd likes this.

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
Old 03-19-2017, 01:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Crap! Keep hoping they are going to change their mind about Dolby Vision. It seems otherwise perfect for my situation.

--. .-. .- - . ..-. ..- .-.. / -.. . .- -..
Dyslexics are teople poo.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:28 AM
DAB
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
good to know- I have now eliminated one mfg..... Now only three-- sony/LGOLED/vizio. Sony might be priced just for brand conscious consumers w/ $$$$. Vizio- however, still stuck is 2016 tech... but priced correctly for how much content is truly out there for DV/HDr-10/WCG/.... LG might need to just bit the bullet- however, from what I have read- Plasma PQ is just as good as these new displays( I did not say better
Old 03-19-2017, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosiris View Post
Nothing under 50". Darnit. Was hoping to get something 40" to use as a monitor.
Q7F/C are available in 49" in Europe ...
Old 03-19-2017, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Tooo mut mundey!
DeadEd and Kadath like this.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked: 1580
seems like samsungs theory has been "if you can't improve what matters, tell them what we improved matters more".

i don't care if they produce a million nit tv, if it can't display black, it's not as good, period. others may disagree, but the difference between 'true black' and 0.00whatever we've had since CRT(the best i've had is the .005ftl on my f8500) is OBVIOUS under almost all real world viewing conditions(my experience, not yours maybe). the difference in brightness however, turns out i had my projector set to 4ftl when i adjusted it by eye, because any brighter than that started to wash out the blacks and i didn't like the way it looked.

for my money, perfect blacks are now expected. if they can't deliver that, it's a complete deal-breaker.
whizkid39 likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
Old 03-20-2017, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
meh you guys are just hating... edge lit has come a long way.... so has LED.... now mind you this tv isn't much diff from the SUHD last year just another marketing gimmick (first it was nano crystals, then quantum dot and now its QLED) all similar... I can tell you that even last years KS8000 has a way brighter picture then any OLED i have seen and the color accuracy is superb as well as the price point and shelf life.... I have seen first hand many OLED panels fail and im just not ready to take that kinda chance for the kinda money they want.... once its perfected in years to come I will hop on but its just not a safe bet at the moment... BTW black is 1 color, and we're not sitting around viewing test patterns all day... the blacks on last years KS8000 and this years QLED are night and day from any plasma....
Old 03-20-2017, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsubnetwork View Post
meh you guys are just hating... edge lit has come a long way.... so has LED.... now mind you this tv isn't much diff from the SUHD last year just another marketing gimmick (first it was nano crystals, then quantum dot and now its QLED) all similar... I can tell you that even last years KS8000 has a way brighter picture then any OLED i have seen and the color accuracy is superb as well as the price point and shelf life.... I have seen first hand many OLED panels fail and im just not ready to take that kinda chance for the kinda money they want.... once its perfected in years to come I will hop on but its just not a safe bet at the moment... BTW black is 1 color, and we're not sitting around viewing test patterns all day... the blacks on last years KS8000 and this years QLED are night and day from any plasma....
Yeah, but TOOOOO MUT MUUUNDEYY!!!!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Black is important even if it is "one color". Its perhaps the most important color as its the hardest to reproduce unless you have an excellent local dimming solution or emissive technology. You don't need a test pattern to see a Edge lit anything cannot do blacks of space next to a bright object without hurting the black levels around the object. Blooming is a very annoying problem with LCDs. How anyone can pay that much money for an edge lit seems absurd. How anyone can pay that much and not get Dolby Vision is also absurd. Why intentionally make your TV less future proof than competitors.

LG B6 65" | Denon X4000 | Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R) | Definitive Technology Mythos 10 (C) | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Old 03-20-2017, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
Tooo mut mundey!
*for the performance

There's a place for edge-lit LCDs. That place is not in a $6k flagship television.
Kadath and fierce_gt like this.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandis View Post
*for the performance

There's a place for edge-lit LCDs. That place is not in a $6k flagship television.
Agreed. $2500 for the bottom end 55" is ridiculous, especially when you can get a 55" OLED on sale for a $1000 less.
Ozymandis likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandis View Post
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Ozymandis likes this.

Sam Posten
Old 03-20-2017, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Nice one! I remember that from high school. One of my favorites. Maybe Samsung can use that in their marketing materials this year along with their crazy pricing!
Kadath likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep QLED could = 'That Colossal Wreck'

Sam Posten
Old 03-20-2017, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked: 1580
Quote:
it's not that edgelit led hasn't advanced, but it was SO far behind, that it's now advanced to what it should have been in a first gen set. like literally, it's just acceptable now, not something i'd brag about when other manufacturers are releasing the 'best' displays ever created...

as for black, black is not the color, it is the canvas on which ALL images are presented. i'm sure davinci and van gogh, or(ok i'm not an art snob so i'm running out of names...) wouldn't choose a dirty canvas to start a new masterpiece. and when you have uniformity issues, or elevated blacks(to my knowledge, it's still one or the other when talking edgelit) that's what you have, a dirty canvas. any tv can produce 'black' by turning off the backlight, but it's VERY difficult to do that with low APL content without at least doing some dimming zones.

so for my tastes, i don't want something that's so bright it covers up the flaws in the backlight. i want something with as perfect a backlight as possible. when a solution(fald) is available and well known, then i just find it frustrating that they CHOOSE not to fix it, but instead cover it up. and it's not like these things are at least cheaper, they are MORE expensive!

for fun, i'm gonna finish this by saying, i'm also waiting for them to perfect the technology before I jump in to an lcd(which legitimately does have a lot of PRACTICAL advantages that i find desirable. i just can't get past terrible PQ or double the price)

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
Old 03-21-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted330 View Post
Black is important even if it is "one color". Its perhaps the most important color as its the hardest to reproduce unless you have an excellent local dimming solution or emissive technology. You don't need a test pattern to see a Edge lit anything cannot do blacks of space next to a bright object without hurting the black levels around the object. Blooming is a very annoying problem with LCDs. How anyone can pay that much money for an edge lit seems absurd. How anyone can pay that much and not get Dolby Vision is also absurd. Why intentionally make your TV less future proof than competitors.
lmao.... FYI the hardest colors to reproduce are red and green.... and who cares about dolby vision... its not even available on 4K blurays yet... its not a standard for anything... why would these companies pay dolby a arm and a leg for something that is already free (HDR10) and basically only available on Netflix... I have compared both of them on LG OLED and most of the movies looked better in HDR10 imo....
Old 03-22-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
lmao.... FYI the hardest colors to reproduce are red and green.... and who cares about dolby vision... its not even available on 4K blurays yet... its not a standard for anything... why would these companies pay dolby a arm and a leg for something that is already free (HDR10) and basically only available on Netflix... I have compared both of them on LG OLED and most of the movies looked better in HDR10 imo....
Actually for LCDs the hardest is black, hence why none of them can do it without a very good FALD setup like the ZD9.

LG B6 65" | Denon X4000 | Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R) | Definitive Technology Mythos 10 (C) | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Old Today, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted330 View Post
Actually for LCDs the hardest is black, hence why none of them can do it without a very good FALD setup like the ZD9.
hmu in 3 years when your colors are faded on your OLED and my QLED still looks the same as the day I bought it.... oh burn!! IN
Old Today, 04:23 PM

Quote:
hmu in 3 years when your colors are faded on your OLED and my QLED still looks the same as the day I bought it.... oh burn!! IN
Well I wasn't making this an OLED vs QLED debate and I'm still not. I'm just saying Black is the hardest for LCD's to reproduce hence why companies spend tons of time, effort, and money on creating FALD setups that attempt to reduce blooming. That's not an attack on LCD's as many do a very good job. Its just a fact. Colors are not hard for any monitor to reproduce every year that gets better and better and it seems every year is a hit or miss when it comes to blacks. Last year Sonys took a step back in many directions compared to the C series and this year it appears they hit it out of the park with early reviews of the x900E and x930E. Sounds like last years Samsung KS8000 is superior to the Q7 in every way but color gamut and cost quite a bit more from early reviews.

You can try to say a Q7 is better than OLED and if that's what you believe, great. OLEDs have problems too. Congrats on your purchase.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ms750 , qled , Samsung , ubd-m9500