Looking for Samsung Q7 QLETVs to Measure and Calibrate for Free - Must be Near Philly - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 73Likes

post #31 of 58 Old 03-27-2017, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2574 Post(s)
Liked: 2337
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I don't make bi-weekly visits to Best Buys to try and compare demo loops. My.job has not become that granular and specific yet.

Without any proof of any kind I really cannot speak to anything you describe... Sorry.
Here are some examples of what I saw at the Best Buy store in my area last Friday. The first picture below shows a Q7 in the upper right, a KS8500 to its left, and I believe a KS8000 in the bottom left.

The difference in color and black levels is just astounding. It is as if they aren’t even showing the same source material or as if HDR processing is turned off in the 2016 TVs. Please remember that the Samsung specific feed for these TVs is not always identical. Sometimes they are supposed to show the exact same thing. However, sometimes the left and right TVs show what would be the left or the right side of video feed. It is not an identical feed for all TVs like the Sony display I observed had.

That is what I think is happening here. All of the 2017 Q and MU series TVs are getting a true HDR feed, all the time, and their processing is tuned to make them look outstanding. However, the 2016 TVs including the KS9800 that is the middle TV in the Samsung display all have their HDR processing turned off or tuned down to the point that it is ineffective.

I understand your skepticism about this. However, I have attached pictures below to demonstrate this. I also suggest you do go and check out your local Samsung display at Best Buy yourself. It was very eye opening for me.

I am certain that every one of these TVs is capable of displaying very good HDR when you get it home. However, the way the Samsung Best Buy display is designed it gives you the impression that the Q7 and even the MU8000 are much better TVs than even the mighty KS9800. We all know that is utter nonsense by the many evidence based tests that have been done so far.

Maybe this isn’t a big deal to you. Once the customer gets the TV home everything will work as designed and HDR will look great whether they bought a 2016 TV or a 2017 TV. However, I think it is very deceptive. I just think it is wrong to deceive the customer into thinking that the more expensive and newer model is light years better when it isn’t.

Please if you have any evidence to refute this I would love to see it. It only takes a few minutes to go down to your Best Buy and take a look. Maybe it is just my local store. Maybe they are the ones that are shady. I would love for it to just be isolated to my area. However, if this is how every single Best Buy in the country is setup then it is just wrong. The consumer shouldn’t be deceived like this.

Left=KS8500, Bottom Left=KS8000, Right=Q7

Left=KS8500, Bottom Left=KS8000, Middle=Q7, Right KS9800

Left=KS9800, Middle=KS9500, Right Top=MU8500, Bottom Right=KU7000, Far Right=OLED

Please be aware that I am not here just to bash Samsung. I know that all of the manufactures try to influence the customers in sometimes deceptive ways. However, this particular display struck me as exceptionally egregious in light of how poorly the Q7 performed in the RTINGS.com review.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0324171732_HDR.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	2051761   Click image for larger version

Name:	0324171734a_HDR.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	2051769   Click image for larger version

Name:	0324171734b_HDR.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	2051777   Click image for larger version

Name:	0324171734_HDR.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	2051785   Click image for larger version

Name:	0324171733a_HDR.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	2051793  

fafrd, shoman94, olof79 and 6 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 03-27-2017, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum

Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Quoted: 5311 Post(s)
Liked: 9082
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
Here are some examples of what I saw at the Best Buy store in my area last Friday. The first picture below shows a Q7 in the upper right, a KS8500 to its left, and I believe a KS8000 in the bottom left.

The difference in color and black levels is just astounding. It is as if they aren’t even showing the same source material or as if HDR processing is turned off in the 2016 TVs. Please remember that the Samsung specific feed for these TVs is not always identical. Sometimes they are supposed to show the exact same thing. However, sometimes the left and right TVs show what would be the left or the right side of video feed. It is not an identical feed for all TVs like the Sony display I observed had.

That is what I think is happening here. All of the 2017 Q and MU series TVs are getting a true HDR feed, all the time, and their processing is tuned to make them look outstanding. However, the 2016 TVs including the KS9800 that is the middle TV in the Samsung display all have their HDR processing turned off or tuned down to the point that it is ineffective.

I understand your skepticism about this. However, I have attached pictures below to demonstrate this. I also suggest you do go and check out your local Samsung display at Best Buy yourself. It was very eye opening for me.

I am certain that every one of these TVs is capable of displaying very good HDR when you get it home. However, the way the Samsung Best Buy display is designed it gives you the impression that the Q7 and even the MU8000 are much better TVs than even the mighty KS9800. We all know that is utter nonsense by the many evidence based tests that have been done so far.

Maybe this isn’t a big deal to you. Once the customer gets the TV home everything will work as designed and HDR will look great whether they bought a 2016 TV or a 2017 TV. However, I think it is very deceptive. I just think it is wrong to deceive the customer into thinking that the more expensive and newer model is light years better when it isn’t.

Please if you have any evidence to refute this I would love to see it. It only takes a few minutes to go down to your Best Buy and take a look. Maybe it is just my local store. Maybe they are the ones that are shady. I would love for it to just be isolated to my area. However, if this is how every single Best Buy in the country is setup then it is just wrong. The consumer shouldn’t be deceived like this.

Left=KS8500, Bottom Left=KS8000, Right=Q7

Left=KS9800, Middle=KS9500, Right Top=MU8500, Bottom Right=KU7000, Far Right=OLED

Please be aware that I am not here just to bash Samsung. I know that all of the manufactures try to influence the customers in sometimes deceptive ways. However, this particular display struck me as exceptionally egregious in light of how poorly the Q7 performed in the RTINGS.com review.
Taking a deep dive into the Q7 has become a bit of a project for me. I will visit a few Best Buys in the next day or two.

Anyhow, thanks for the encouragement. I will make that trip.

P.s... Don't take the rtings review as the last word on the Q7's performance. The verdict on what happened there is not in yet.
mpgxsvcd likes this.

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 03-27-2017 at 07:41 AM.
post #33 of 58 Old 03-27-2017, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Red face

Quote:
Taking a deep dive into the Q7 has become a bit of a project for me. I will visit a few Best Buys in the next day or two.

Anyhow, thanks for the encouragement. I will make that trip.

P.s... Don't take the rtings review as the last word on the Q7's performance. The verdict on what happened there is not in yet.
Thank you for your time on this. I have said it before and I will say it again. You do a great job with your reviews and your insight. It is always appreciated.

I hear what you are saying about drawing conclusions too quickly. I totally understand that. However, there is a ton of evidence right now that points to the conclusion that QLED is all “Smoke and Mirrors”. So far I literally haven’t seen anything that points to it being a true breakthrough.

Please note that in most of the pictures with the KS9800 the highlights are blown out but that doesn’t happen with any of the other TVs. That is actually a good sign for the KS9800. My camera is what is clipping those highlights and not the TV. The KS9800 was MUCH brighter than any of the other TVs. I am really concerned that the 2017 Samsung TVs are not as bright as they are advertised to be. Hopefully, your research will clear up that issue.

I would love to see any evidence you can provide. I checked out the new Sony TVs as well. They all blew me away. I fully acknowledge that those TVs are worth the price difference. Their colors and black levels were unmatched by anything else I saw in the store. The best thing though is that the reviews already back up all of those claims for the Sony TVs.

The X900e is a decent TV and not a bad value at all. However, the X930e and I can only assume the X940e are in a league of their own at their price points. I have always said that the Z9D is my favorite TV even over the 2016 OLED TVs. I know the OLEDs will never be matched in black level. However, the Z9D just does everything else so well. To be honest though, the X930e gave me a very similar impression at a much lower price point.

All of this is coming from a self prescribed “Vizio Honk”. I enjoy my P75 but I fully recognize the benefits of the new X930e. However, when it comes to the Q7 I can’t commit to saying it is better than last year’s models. I haven’t seen any evidence to support that conclusion yet.

I look forward to reading your future insight into these particular TVs.

Full Samsung Display

Full Sony Display

Sony X930e

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0324171737_HDR.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	2051897   Click image for larger version

Name:	0324171736a_HDR.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	2051905   Click image for larger version

Name:	0324171736_HDR.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	2051913   Click image for larger version

Name:	0324171736_Burst01.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	2051921   Click image for larger version

Name:	0324171735b_HDR.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	2051929  

Name:	0324171735a_HDR.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	2051937   Click image for larger version

Name:	0324171735_HDR.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	2051945  
King Richard likes this.

post #34 of 58 Old 03-27-2017, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Quoted: 9706 Post(s)
Liked: 8215
Quote:

Looks like sabotage to me. That's similar to the hdtvtest video where Vincent was showing samsungs demo of the qled above a ks8000 and it was clear the ks8000 was desaturated on purpose.

I was told in the past that samsungs demos are controlled by Samsung headquarters remotely, not best buy. So it's likely that best buy employees have no clue .
Burningcoals and King Richard like this.

65KS9800 *new*. 65JS9500 4K HDR and lots of it!
MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN

Review of KS9800vsJS9500 w/side by side pix: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post45720113
post #35 of 58 Old 03-27-2017, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Looks like sabotage to me. That's similar to the hdtvtest video where Vincent was showing samsungs demo of the qled above a ks8000 and it was clear the ks8000 was desaturated on purpose.

I was told in the past that samsungs demos are controlled by Samsung headquarters remotely, not best buy. So it's likely that best buy employees have no clue .
Look, lets face it. If the difference the manufacturers and retailers show each year between the old and the new were accurate, you'd reasonably conclude that TVs from 5 years ago could offer nothing more than a fuzzy black-and-white image, and that ten years ago they called dim light bulbs "TVs."

Notably, trying to guess exactly what's going on when it comes to TVs and displays and trade shows and all that is perilous. Gotta watch out for the ole post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 03-27-2017 at 09:45 AM.
post #36 of 58 Old 03-27-2017, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
I looked at the new Best Buy setup for Samsung the other day. It was weird because they still had all of last years TVs around the Q7. They had KS9500, KS8000, MU8000 as well. The thing that I noticed was that suddenly all of the non QLED models looked terrible. It wasn't so much that the Q7 looked better. It was that the new setup Samsung did in my local Best Buy made ALL of the lesser models worse than they had been the day before with the old setup.

They were doing something shady. All of the colors were muted. It looked like their black levels were just terrible. These were the same TVs that the day before looked great in the old setup.
This isn't anything new for Best Buy. Many years ago when I was shopping for a DLP TV they had a few setup with horrible static like picture quality while all the "new and improved", higher priced LCD's were sparkling with pristine video. From that experience alone I learned never to trust anything they have on their display floor.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #37 of 58 Old 03-27-2017, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post
This isn't anything new for Best Buy. Many years ago when I was shopping for a DLP TV they had a few setup with horrible static like picture quality while all the "new and improved", higher priced LCD's were sparkling with pristine video. From that experience alone I learned never to trust anything they have on their display floor.
Best Buy has zero control over the Samsung, Sony, and LG areas in terms of the content being fed to them. These manufacturer pads are paid for and operated by the respective vendor and they all provide their own content.

I ran a Sony pad for about a year and a half during the initial launch of the program. Not sure if it still runs this way, but the Sony setup was pretty straightforward. There were a couple 4K/2K HDD-based content servers located behind the wall that were run through an HDMI matrix and split to each TV. Sony would update the content on them remotely or a Sony employee would come and update content manually. The Samsung content was not locally hosted, instead each TV had to have some special retail app installed and Samsung served their content remotely.
King Richard likes this.

desktop Sonus faber Toy monitor| REL T Zero| Sony UDA1|Sony MDR-Z7|Sony MDR-1000X|Audioquest NightHawk|Audioquest DragonFly Red
ht Panasonic 60" ZT60| Monitor Audio Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1|SVS SB-2000|Sony STR-ZA5000ES|Oppo 103D|Sony UHP-H1|Sonos Connect + Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
stereo Sonus faber Toy tower|REL S/5|Teac UD-501|Sony TA-A1ES|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony ST-SA50ES|Sony UBP-X800|Sonos Connect|Furman Elite-15 PFi
post #38 of 58 Old 03-27-2017, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
Best Buy has zero control over the Samsung, Sony, and LG areas in terms of the content being fed to them. These manufacturer pads are paid for and operated by the respective vendor and they all provide their own content.

I ran a Sony pad for about a year and a half during the initial launch of the program. Not sure if it still runs this way, but the Sony setup was pretty straightforward. There were a couple 4K/2K HDD-based content servers located behind the wall that were run through an HDMI matrix and split to each TV. Sony would update the content on them remotely or a Sony employee would come and update content manually. The Samsung content was not locally hosted, instead each TV had to have some special retail app installed and Samsung served their content remotely.
Regardless of who is at fault the outcome is the same, people are being deceived by what is on their display floor. Perhaps it's by unintentional error but the fact that it tips in favor of the latest and greatest certainly sets off the conspiracy theory in my mind.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #39 of 58 Old 03-27-2017, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post
Regardless of who is at fault the outcome is the same, people are being deceived by what is on their display floor. Perhaps it's by unintentional error but the fact that it tips in favor of the latest and greatest certainly sets off the conspiracy theory in my mind.
One store here in Philly, World Wide Stereo, hired me last year to calibrate all its TVs to rec.709 and uniform peak brightness—to truly put all the TVs on a level playing field. 15 TVs in one store and 10 in the other. When I was done, I can tell ya it was a thing of beauty—especially because the TVs all showed the same content.

Of course I also appreciated the chance to get hands-on time and calibration experience with Sony, LG, and Samsung TVs.
mpgxsvcd, shoman94 and fatuglyguy like this.

Mark Henninger
post #40 of 58 Old 03-27-2017, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question

Quote:
One store here in Philly, World Wide Stereo, hired me last year to calibrate all its TVs to rec.709 and uniform peak brightness—to truly put all the TVs on a level playing field. 15 TVs in one store and 10 in the other. When I was done, I can tell ya it was a thing of beauty—especially because the TVs all showed the same content.

Of course I also appreciated the chance to get hands-on time and calibration experience with Sony, LG, and Samsung TVs.
If they were all calibrated properly to REC.709 then could you really tell any difference between them? By definition aren’t they all the same if they are calibrated to the same spec with the same light levels? Wouldn’t that just make it really hard for the consumer to choose which TV to get if they all look the same?
ray0414, King Richard and Lp85253 like this.
post #41 of 58 Old 03-27-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3428 Post(s)
Liked: 2533
Quote:

Wow that is crazy how the other sets have been tampered with... Perhaps this was done by the store to increase sales. Regardless very disingenuous, here is KS9500 VS Q8 I did with both sets having same settings. You will see differences but not like those pics wow.

mpgxsvcd and ray0414 like this.

55KS8000/65HU8700- SEK 3500U/60F8500/51D6900/46B650/Onkyo TX-NR616
Xbox one/PS4/PC R9 290/Wii U
post #42 of 58 Old 03-27-2017, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's pretty impressive that any store would go to that level, perhaps it helps to differentiate them from the big box store across the street. No stores in my area would go to this level unfortunately, of course that probably has to do with the fact that I'm near the back woods of NY and not near any major city.
post #43 of 58 Old 03-27-2017, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If they were all calibrated properly to REC.709 then could you really tell any difference between them? By definition aren’t they all the same if they are calibrated to the same spec with the same light levels? Wouldn’t that just make it really hard for the consumer to choose which TV to get if they all look the same?
But they don't look the same. Black levels and viewing angles vary, and so does the level of selectivity of the screen. But they did all look very similar. It's a good thing, if calibration shows that most of the TVs can handle SDR just fine then people can focus on HDR or else on other features.

What's hard is for consumers to make an informed decision based on demo loops optimized for the type of TV showing them (all mfgs do this) and doing so in a store looking at a TV that's in some retail-optimized image mode. Calibration makes it easier to properly compare the performance of TVs, levels the playing field a bit and makes it apples to apples.
mpgxsvcd and shoman94 like this.

Mark Henninger
post #44 of 58 Old 03-27-2017, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
Wow that is crazy how the other sets have been tampered with... Perhaps this was done by the store to increase sales. Regardless very disingenuous, here is KS9500 VS Q8 I did with both sets having same settings. You will see differences but not like those pics wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dCZ9EJny9w
The saturation and blacks of the Q8 in that video are appealing, but I'm not loving the black crush. Look at the moss in the lower right are at 1:00. Also shadow areas at 1:15.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #45 of 58 Old 03-27-2017, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
What I am saying is that on Tuesday the KS series TVs looked good. Then on Friday those same TVs looked drastically different even when compared to the Vizio P-series displays that were next to them. The P-series didn't change in that time frame. However, the Samsung KS series TVs did. Have you observed the new Best Buy setup from Samsung with the KS series in there as well?

What I saw was a deliberate act to make the KS series look worse than they were with the 2016 setup that was there at the beginning of the week. Honestly, it really made the top level KS TVs look like the worst TVs on the floor which simply wasn't the case at the beginning of the week.
fwiw at my store the q7 and mu models are running on a demo built in on the tv and the 2016 ks models are running on a server. The built in demo most likely are made to really make the tv pop versus others
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #46 of 58 Old 03-28-2017, 12:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 1264
If there is anyone in the Maine/NH area that buys a Q7 and wants to share some numbers I wouldn't mind getting that to you @imagic .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (3.0.13.5).
My P75-C1 Beta Calibration Settings (3.0.14.0).
Vizio P75-C1 (fw-3.0.14.0), Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One, Wii
NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, Antennas Direct DB4e w/Dipole OTA antenna and 2x HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+

Last edited by shoman94; 03-28-2017 at 12:34 PM.
post #47 of 58 Old 03-28-2017, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post

Being an owner of a KS line TV for the last 6 months I can tell you 100% its a configuration/sabotage issue. My TV always has oversaturated colors, and looks like the QLED sets.

On my TV this would be like setting all the other TV's to Auto color or standard mode and setting the QLED to Native color mode which oversaturates all the colors big time.
mpgxsvcd and King Richard like this.

- Denon X7200WA + DTS:X Firmware Upgrade
- B&W CM9S1, CM2S2, CM5S2, CM1S2, SVS SB13Ultra
- Surround DSX Heights, Dolby Atmos/DSU 5.1.4 FH+RH
- ButtKicker BK300-Advanced
- TV 2016 Samsung 75" KS9000
- Games/Media Players PS4Pro, Xbox One S, WII U, UHD K8500, Roku Ultra
post #48 of 58 Old 03-28-2017, 01:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 209
From someone who had a Q7 and still has a KS8000 as far as color goes there was not much of a difference in color the way those tv are shown in the Bestbuy photos. Now I'm sure with certain content and settings dependent the Q7 may have a larger color volume but no way in hell (excuse my French) was there that big a gap. I had the Q7 on a tv stand and the KS8000 on the floor. Sometimes certain colors appeared to have move volume like green in apples but it wasn't that extreme. You can only tell if they are next to each other.

Last edited by bluewhale1; 03-28-2017 at 02:54 PM.
post #49 of 58 Old 03-28-2017, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
However, there is a ton of evidence right now that points to the conclusion that QLED is all “Smoke and Mirrors”. So far I literally haven’t seen anything that points to it being a true breakthrough.
I think part of the issue is that some of that evidence is, so far, strange and perhaps even questionable. I would also point to evidence that I find much more easy to accept:
-D-Nice measured his own personal Q7 far brighter than rtings units. D-Nice purchased his at retail.
-Mark/imagic's initial post on the Q9 being almost entirely the equal of the KS9800 and in some cases its better. To me, an edge lit set being mostly the same and in some ways better than a top of the line FALD is a true breakthrough. Now, it'd be much more of a breakthrough if Samsung had taken it as an opportunity to really mess with pricing, but alas.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #50 of 58 Old 03-28-2017, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
-Mark/imagic's initial post on the Q9 being almost entirely the equal of the KS9800 and in some cases its better. To me, an edge lit set being mostly the same and in some ways better than a top of the line FALD is a true breakthrough. Now, it'd be much more of a breakthrough if Samsung had taken it as an opportunity to really mess with pricing, but alas.
Have you looked at the Sony X930e? That is one beautiful edge lit display.
post #51 of 58 Old 03-28-2017, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Have you looked at the Sony X930e? That is one beautiful edge lit display.
Haven't seen one yet but am looking forward to it. I liked Sony's video on the lighting system, release during or around CES.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #52 of 58 Old 03-29-2017, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2697 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Should I hold off on buying a new Q set until the rting thing is sorted out?

Also does this new Q line have whatever support we should be looking for when it comes to HDR? I think I read HDR 1000 and not sure what that means in relation to HDR10 and DV...?
post #53 of 58 Old 03-29-2017, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
From someone who had a Q7 and still has a KS8000 as far as color goes there was not much of a difference in color the way those tv are shown in the Bestbuy photos. Now I'm sure with certain content and settings dependent the Q7 may have a larger color volume but no way in hell (excuse my French) was there that big a gap. I had the Q7 on a tv stand and the KS8000 on the floor. Sometimes certain colors appeared to have move volume like green in apples but it wasn't that extreme. You can only tell if they are next to each other.
Has anyone gone to their Best Buy and had a look at the new display setup to see if they have dumbed down their 2016 TVs?
1959Dodge likes this.
post #54 of 58 Old Yesterday, 01:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2405 Post(s)
Liked: 2168
Quote:
Has anyone gone to their Best Buy and had a look at the new display setup to see if they have dumbed down their 2016 TVs?
I went to best buy yesterday ,I saw a guy in the Samsung area with a white shirt and a Samsung Qled Logo on his shirt. He was inspecting the area , had a bag with tools and was writing something on a notepad ,the pen that he was using had a samsumg logo.

I'm not sure why he was there but it seems that he was inspecting the booths.

The Qled had a more contrasty look over the KS , The Qled pixels at close distance had a very strange look, kind like pentile look.Saw blooming ,contrast and color saturation degradation at off angle.

PS.I didn't saw any very dramatic difference when comparing the displays,The Qled was in the middle and the other displays at the right and left , I will go back and spend more time looking at them because I was most of the time inspecting the Qled.

Last edited by losservatore; Yesterday at 02:14 AM.
post #55 of 58 Old Today, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I too have the KS8000, the 60" which isn't even a Samsung Screen, I believe it's made by Sharp.
Anyway this TV is OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

I show the folks some of the HDR Demos, and they are amazed as I am, "I've never seen a TV do that", they exclaime.

Even the HDR+ is amazing at how good a job it does of simulating "REAL HDR", yeah real HDR is better. but since most material is SDR, I really appreciate how well HDR+ does. The 60" KS8000 got down to as low as $1100, I paid $1400 and don't regret it one bit, and yep, to me the extra 5 inches is really worth it to me, even thou the display is not a "True Samsung".

The Q7 failing brightness test is SERIOUS Problem. It means that new "ULTRA UHD" sticker, which I'm sure is probably attached to the Q7, means NOTHING!!!!!
That sticker was suppose to "Certify" to prospective customers that their new TV will indeed meet the specifications of "Ultra UHD", (one spec being 1000 Nits or more)!
(Does anybody know if the Q7, Q8 and Q9 TVs have this sticker)?
I had heard comments at The "Vegas Show", that "Samsung Wasn't sure the QLED's would have the Ultra UHD certification).

I've seen the KS8000 advertised for as little as $999.00. There is NO way in (HELL) and excuse my French too that the Samsung Q7 is worth more than twice that!! or in fact any of the Samsung Qleds.

Sorry to say this, but I think Samsung is out peddling "Snake Oil" until they get a REAL QLED to market. And Yes I love my Samsung TV and also the Ultra Expensive Sound Bar! , But in this case, "I'm gonna call it as I see It"!!!

Thanks to RTRatings for the info!

Gary
post #56 of 58 Old Today, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1959Dodge View Post
I too have the KS8000, the 60" which isn't even a Samsung Screen, I believe it's made by Sharp.

I show the folks some of the HDR Demos, and they are amazed as I am, "I've never seen a TV do that", they exclaime.

Even the HDR+ is amazing at how good a job it does of simulating "REAL HDR", yeah real HDR is better. but since most material is SDR, I really appreciate how well HDR+ does. The 60" KS8000 got down to as low as $1100, I paid $1400 and don't regret it one bit, and yep, to me the extra 5 inches is really worth it to me, even thou the display is not a "True Samsung".

The Q7 failing brightness test is SERIOUS Problem. It means that new "ULTRA UHD" sticker, which I'm sure is probably attached to the Q7, means NOTHING!!!!!
That sticker was suppose to "Certify" to prospective customers that their new TV will indeed meet the specifications of "Ultra UHD", (one spec being 1000 Nits or more)!
I had heard comments at The "Vegas Show", that "Samsung Wasn't sure the QLED's would have the Ultra UHD certification).

I've seen the KS8000 advertised for as little as $999.00. There is NO way in (HELL) and excuse my French too that the Samsung Q7 is worth more than twice that!! or in fact any of the Samsung Qleds.

Sorry to say this, but I think Samsung is out peddling "Snake Oil" until they get a REAL QLED to market. And Yes I love my Samsung TV and also the Ultra Expensive Sound Bar! , But in this case, "I'm gonna call it as I see It"!!!

Gary
All the QLEDs are UHD Premium certified. The brightness issue with the Q7 is not settled. You can "call it" but unless you have put a meter on a couple of Q7s it's speculative. Hence this thread, I want to measure some Q7Fs.

http://www.avsforum.com/2017-samsung...-uhd-alliance/

Mark Henninger
post #57 of 58 Old Today, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1959Dodge View Post

Gary
The KS8000s are no longer being manufactured, but still available, correct? Are their prices going up? Wonder when current stock will run out. I'm on the fence about buying one versus an OLED. Don't want to pay the premium for the new Q series.
post #58 of 58 Old Today, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
The KS8000s are no longer being manufactured, but still available, correct? Are their prices going up? Wonder when current stock will run out. I'm on the fence about buying one versus an OLED. Don't want to pay the premium for the new Q series.
There are still many KS8000 TV's for sale. In fact Best Buy has a "Special" on the 55" for $999.99.

Be sure to read the reviews both here in AVS as well as Best Buy and RR Ratings!

I think the TV even at the $1499 price that I paid for the 60" is a great deal.
I'm more than satisfied with mine, it was everything I was hoping for and more.

RT Ratings in fact, said save your money and buy the KS8000 series instead of the "Top End" Samsung Fald, (Paraphrasing), but they had high praise for the KS8000 series and unless you are one of those folks that spend your time watching black rectangles of various brightness in a completely Dark room, you won't be disappointed, (Again paraphrasing), Take the time to read the RT ratings article, as I'm just "One Happy Camper" with a new TV!!!

It is GREAT, Mark, that you are making the effort to find out the "Truth, Nothing but the whole truth" about the Samsung Q7. (Hopefully you see my point, at least 2 Samsung Q7 TV's do NOT meet the standards for the Ultra HD Tag).

I am in the market for a TV for my master bedroom, unfortunately I watch TV up there a lot due to health problems, and my old Sharp Aquos is up in the master now.
I was "perfectly content" with the Sharp, until I brought that Samsung Home, now the old Sharp, alto still clear and bright, is just "boring" compared to the new Samsung!

Anyway, still lots of KS8000's around, for good prices, and in my "Humble Opinion" is the better choice, KS8000 vs Qled's.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
qled , Samsung