*OFFICIAL* 2017 Sony XBR-X940E - Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1599Likes

post #1501 of 3559 Old 06-08-2017, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm still thinking of getting the a1e over this tv my room is 14x14 and I'm 8-10 feet away. I'm coming up from a 50inch so it's not like I know what I'm missing out on with a bigger screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 3559 Old 06-08-2017, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Why don't people who want to purchase or talk about the A1E go on their forum? I don't get why there are so many on here saying I'm going to get the A1E. Then go on that forum.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Burningcoals likes this.
post #1503 of 3559 Old 06-08-2017, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Dolby Vision Update

Well, I have my Despicable Me 2 UHD blu-ray and my Oppo 203 (just received DV update). Come on Sony!
dbburns likes this.

post #1504 of 3559 Old 06-08-2017, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbonus View Post
I'm still thinking of getting the a1e over this tv my room is 14x14 and I'm 8-10 feet away. I'm coming up from a 50inch so it's not like I know what I'm missing out on with a bigger screen.
I'm not going to hard-sell you on not going with the OLED. There's a lot of good, AVS-forums-approved reasons to do so. All I'm going to do is point out that all the rumblings and cliches about "size does matter" are real. There's real studies out there that indicate just how much of your field of vision the screen needs to fill (which changes as a function of both screen size and viewing distance) in order to provide some sort of an "immersize" effect.

The (simple) back-of-the-envelope calculation I always subscribed to was that the viewing distance should be somewhere around 1.5x the screen diagonal. So for a 10' (120") viewing distance, 1.5x would put you at an 80" screen....!!!

The more formal answer involves a little bit of trigonometry, but SMPTE recommends that the screen fill up 30 degrees of your field of vision, and THX actually recommends 40 degrees...
http://www.cedia.org/blog/how-to-sel...-for-your-room

If my trig is right (and it might be wrong), for a 16:9 aspect ratio, you need a 73.8" screen to fill 30 deg of your viewing angle at 10'. And, believe it or not, you need a 100.2" screen to fill 40 deg of your viewing angle at that same 10 foot distance.

A 65" set hits THX 40 degree viewing angle recommendation as long as you're sitting about 6.5 feet away... TIFWIW.
post #1505 of 3559 Old 06-08-2017, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
I'm not going to hard-sell you on not going with the OLED. There's a lot of good, AVS-forums-approved reasons to do so. All I'm going to do is point out that all the rumblings and cliches about "size does matter" are real. There's real studies out there that indicate just how much of your field of vision the screen needs to fill (which changes as a function of both screen size and viewing distance) in order to provide some sort of an "immersize" effect.

The (simple) back-of-the-envelope calculation I always subscribed to was that the viewing distance should be somewhere around 1.5x the screen diagonal. So for a 10' (120") viewing distance, 1.5x would put you at an 80" screen....!!!

The more formal answer involves a little bit of trigonometry, but SMPTE recommends that the screen fill up 30 degrees of your field of vision, and THX actually recommends 40 degrees...
http://www.cedia.org/blog/how-to-sel...-for-your-room

If my trig is right (and it might be wrong), for a 16:9 aspect ratio, you need a 73.8" screen to fill 30 deg of your viewing angle at 10'. And, believe it or not, you need a 100.2" screen to fill 40 deg of your viewing angle at that same 10 foot distance.

A 65" set hits THX 40 degree viewing angle recommendation as long as you're sitting about 6.5 feet away... TIFWIW.

You can't argue with math.
post #1506 of 3559 Old 06-08-2017, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone who upgraded from the 940d to the 940e please chime in. I have the 940d and it is a good tv but has some clouding, smearing, and numerous error/shutdown/restart issues. I can upgrade for $1k to the 940e. Should I do it? I've also thought the brightness of the 940d is a bit lacking for my family room during the day. Is the 940e noticeably brighter? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mystaken likes this.
post #1507 of 3559 Old 06-08-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK_ATL View Post
Anyone who upgraded from the 940d to the 940e please chime in. I have the 940d and it is a good tv but has some clouding, smearing, and numerous error/shutdown/restart issues. I can upgrade for $1k to the 940e. Should I do it? I've also thought the brightness of the 940d is a bit lacking for my family room during the day. Is the 940e noticeably brighter? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can chime in. The 940E is the better TV big time. The X1 Extreme chip really does make this TV almost twice as bright and just overall a better TV. That upgrade price isn't bad at all because the 940E has a lot of internals and Dolby Vision to justify that price. Unless you will miss 3D.

post #1508 of 3559 Old 06-08-2017, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1195 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHD AV View Post
The biggest difference in Picture Quality is provided by the FALD on the 940E. It's not night and day difference, but very noticeable. I won't go into a technical explanation, let's just say, there's no way edge lit provides the same PQ as FALD. Comparing them side by side, and knowing what you're looking for, there's no contest.
I have a 1080p Sony XBR with Triluminos now, its edge lit and with completely dark screen I can see some blooming. I don't think its very noticeable. Just trying to decide where to spend the money - bigger size which is a big deal, or better display tech, which may or may not be obvious.
post #1509 of 3559 Old 06-08-2017, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I have a 1080p Sony XBR with Triluminos now, its edge lit and with completely dark screen I can see some blooming. I don't think its very noticeable. Just trying to decide where to spend the money - bigger size which is a big deal, or better display tech, which may or may not be obvious.
The explanation near the end of this interview concerning FALD and edge lit (with Sony's new Slim Backlight Drive on the 930) may help you decide. This is the link to an interview with a Sony engineer which provides really good information to understand (in some detail) how the new extreme processor works (and what the settings do) and the what this processor really does for picture quality as well as comparison of LCD and OLED and the advantages/disadvantages of each display technology as pertaining to color volume, contrast, brightness, backlighting, and user preferences and buying considerations.

It is well worth watching in it's entirety, but it's lengthy. You might want to skip the opening and the commercials.
https://twit.tv/shows/home-theater-geeks/episodes/341
post #1510 of 3559 Old 06-09-2017, 12:09 AM

After listening to the Sony Engineer's explanation of the purpose, function, and control of the Extreme Processor (see link in post above) I decided to see if I could Improve on my settings for general content from cable. I was using Custom, tweaking the settings required for the proper calibration for the THX calibration program in my TiVo. I was very pleased with the results until I recalibrated using Cinema Pro, thereby taking better advantage of the features of the Extreme's processing. I did make a difference in picture quality for SD and HD. SD is more pleasing and well defined, sharper if you wish. Banding is reduced. HD is more like HDR lite. Colors are more vivid, yet natural, and whites and highlights are more lifelike. I doubt I would have accomplished this without a better understanding of the workings of the processing provided by the Sony Engineer's explanations. If anyone is interested in my settings, let me know and I will publish my original Custom settings and my new Cinema Pro settings. One could also start with Cinema Home and apply similar settings for your preference. I did change the color temp. from Expert 1 (default) to Warm.
Just when you thought you were through with fiddling!
psuKinger likes this.
post #1511 of 3559 Old 06-09-2017, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
After listening to the Sony Engineer's explanation of the purpose, function, and control of the Extreme Processor (see link in post above) I decided to see if I could Improve on my settings for general content from cable. I was using Custom, tweaking the settings required for the proper calibration for the THX calibration program in my TiVo. I was very pleased with the results until I recalibrated using Cinema Pro, thereby taking better advantage of the features of the Extreme's processing. I did make a difference in picture quality for SD and HD. SD is more pleasing and well defined, sharper if you wish. Banding is reduced. HD is more like HDR lite. Colors are more vivid, yet natural, and whites and highlights are more lifelike. I doubt I would have accomplished this without a better understanding of the workings of the processing provided by the Sony Engineer's explanations. If anyone is interested in my settings, let me know and I will publish my original Custom settings and my new Cinema Pro settings. One could also start with Cinema Home and apply similar settings for your preference. I did change the color temp. from Expert 1 (default) to Warm.
Very interested in your settings!
post #1512 of 3559 Old 06-09-2017, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by drock0221 View Post
Why don't people who want to purchase or talk about the A1E go on their forum? I don't get why there are so many on here saying I'm going to get the A1E. Then go on that forum.

I suspect because they are in a similar price range so it's a question of larger LCD or smaller but brand-new OLED. This is actually a huge debate I had myself and have owned both. Personally I think the size of the XE94 trumps the 65" size of the OLED and makes it the more worthwhile.

Something still does keep dragging me back though and considering the A1E...
post #1513 of 3559 Old 06-09-2017, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
I'd like to take a look at what you've got going on with your SD and HDR settings.

I was initially a little underwhelmed because SD looks worse than the 55 inch plasma this replaced but I'm keeping it . I can't really blame the TV for a poor signal from DirecTV and there's no denying it looks great when it's fed 1080p or higher.

That being said the Cavs game the other night looked dull and lifeless but again that was ABC and their 720p signal. I'm a little worried how football is going to look.

Wondering what people are doing with settings to try and combat poor SD feeds.
post #1514 of 3559 Old 06-09-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac1012 View Post
I'd like to take a look at what you've got going on with your SD and HDR settings.

I was initially a little underwhelmed because SD looks worse than the 55 inch plasma this replaced but I'm keeping it . I can't really blame the TV for a poor signal from DirecTV and there's no denying it looks great when it's fed 1080p or higher.

That being said the Cavs game the other night looked dull and lifeless but again that was ABC and their 720p signal. I'm a little worried how football is going to look.

So far I have been using Standard setting for sports with the live color at Medium. I like pop when watching sports and the colors to be very bright and vivid. This does this. I then switch back to Custom for regular viewing with the Live Color to Low or Medium. I am still messing around with the Cinema Pro setting to my liking. I can post some of my settings if people would like them.

Pac1012 likes this.
post #1515 of 3559 Old 06-09-2017, 09:02 AM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
No I saw the 65" A1E, 65" Z9D and of course 75" 940E. All I meant to say was the Z9D and 940E looked the same and neither was as good as the A1E. This was in a bright store so maybe in a dark room the Z9D would look better than the 940E?
I'm still on the fence about getting a 75" LCD or a 65" OLED.
LOL, there is no fence, it is simple, you get the 65" you will always wish you got the larger size. I have said this a few times but I will say it again, The # 1 reason for buyers remorse is screen size. Not picture quality. Not to mention many OLED owner's have returned there sets and love there replacment Z9D more
I'm going to try the 940e and see how I like it. I can always return it if I don't. Best way to evaluate a tv is at home anyway.
post #1516 of 3559 Old 06-09-2017, 09:04 AM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac1012 View Post

So far I have been using Standard setting for sports with the live color at Medium. I like pop when watching sports and the colors to be very bright and vivid. This does this. I then switch back to Custom for regular viewing with the Live Color to Low or Medium. I am still messing around with the Cinema Pro setting to my liking. I can post some of my settings if people would like them.

Sent from my HTC U11 using
Tapatalk
I thought someone posted color charts for live color off vs low and I thought low looked better.
post #1517 of 3559 Old 06-09-2017, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I got my Sony TV setup a couple days ago and now am in the process of getting everything setup. Initial impressions is that this TV is bright. I was worried about the glossy screen since I have a lot of windows and when the TV got mounted I could see the reflections everyway. Once the TV turns on though, you barely notice it. Only when in the darker scenes do I see a reflect. I see a lot better than the DLP that it replaced. SD pictures looks great, which what I was most concerned about since I do watch old shows. I did see a little bit of the horizontal banding watching a bright scene from a TV show. I think that if I wasn't a reader of the forum I probably wouldn't have noticed it. Nothing that is going to let me take back the TV though. Only other thing that I noticed is that in all four corners it is slightly dimmer. Again if I wasn't being critical of looking for things the average person wouldn't have noticed.

One thing I do have a question on though. I'm trying to get my Logitech Harmony remote programmed but their database doesn't list the TV yet. What is everyone else using?

PSN ID: Onedropshot
post #1518 of 3559 Old 06-09-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Liked: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by TViewer2000 View Post
One thing I do have a question on though. I'm trying to get my Logitech Harmony remote programmed but their database doesn't list the TV yet. What is everyone else using?
Try the z9d, 930e, 930d etc. My 930d remote works with my z9d so one of those should work fine for you. The one thing I really wish Sony had implemented is buttons/codes for direct input switching and also direct picture mode changing. Can't have it all I guess
post #1519 of 3559 Old 06-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
Try the z9d, 930e, 930d etc. My 930d remote works with my z9d so one of those should work fine for you. The one thing I really wish Sony had implemented is buttons/codes for direct input switching and also direct picture mode changing. Can't have it all I guess

Thanks for the info. It sent me in the right direction. I put in XBR-930e and Logitech could not find it but suggested that is was a XBR-65x930e. So I guess Logitech can't infer the model very well. So XBR-X940E does not equal XBR-75X940E. Put in XBR-75X940E and it found it immediately. Thanks for the help.
10k likes this.

PSN ID: Onedropshot
post #1520 of 3559 Old 06-09-2017, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3036 Post(s)
Liked: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheffard View Post
I suspect because they are in a similar price range so it's a question of larger LCD or smaller but brand-new OLED. This is actually a huge debate I had myself and have owned both. Personally I think the size of the XE94 trumps the 65" size of the OLED and makes it the more worthwhile.

Something still does keep dragging me back though and considering the A1E...
I am a quantity kinda guy. You gentleman know yourselves right, I hope? You are either a quantity kind of guy or a quality kind guy. Even in motorcycles, 4 Yamaha cruisers here compared to one Harley, love my choice
post #1521 of 3559 Old 06-09-2017, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
You can't write all that and then not share c'mon dude. I'll try out your settings.

Thread to Build:Theater Build
Theater: Monitor Audio Platinum PL200/PL350C, Seaton Submerssive, 150" 3D Elite Screens +more
Living Room: Aperion Grand Verus, Outlaw LFM-1 EX, 75" Sony XBR75X940E +more
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm, Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession, Stage 4 - Acceptance
...Which stage are you on?
post #1522 of 3559 Old 06-09-2017, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
The explanation near the end of this interview concerning FALD and edge lit (with Sony's new Slim Backlight Drive on the 930) may help you decide. This is the link to an interview with a Sony engineer which provides really good information to understand (in some detail) how the new extreme processor works (and what the settings do) and the what this processor really does for picture quality as well as comparison of LCD and OLED and the advantages/disadvantages of each display technology as pertaining to color volume, contrast, brightness, backlighting, and user preferences and buying considerations.

It is well worth watching in it's entirety, but it's lengthy. You might want to skip the opening and the commercials.
https://twit.tv/shows/home-theater-geeks/episodes/341
Thanks for linking to this interview. I just watched it and learned a great deal about Sony TV processing. It was doubly useful listening for me as I'm planning on purchasing a 930e in the near future.

Quote:
Yes, please post your settings.
post #1523 of 3559 Old 06-09-2017, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
Ugh, there aren't remote codes to directly set an input? Are you programming a macro to do so? I wanted to ask for a Harmony for Father's Day to make it more convenient to switch between my UHDBD and other inputs since the UHDBD is on a different TV input and switching both the receiver and TV is inconvenient.
post #1524 of 3559 Old 06-09-2017, 02:38 PM

Anyone know why Cinema Pro and Custom have way different colors when all of the settings are made identical? I can't decide which one I like better when I have the settings I like. Custom seems to give me more color pop and gets a lot brighter with both being on Gamma -2.

post #1525 of 3559 Old 06-09-2017, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've had the 940E for about a month now. I compared it side by side at work with the Z9D, Q9F and 65" A1E, and at home with the Vizio plasma it replaced. It's located in a living room with plenty of daylight, with some ambient over-cabinet/under-counter light at night.

I work with TV streaming and gaming technology so I tend fixate on potential bugs while sitting 20 inches away from a screen in a bright lab, but I also leave all that at work and let the TV disappear when relaxing at home. That's the backstory, so here's the personal opinion of a random guy on the internet:

The A1E has the best picture in controlled conditions, with the smaller pixel size of the smaller screen a plus. But the others are noticeably brighter. And I would trade up for the extra 10" of screen all day long.
The Q has the best industrial design and I love the tiny fiber connection to the input block. But the picture has a "false" aspect to it that's tough to pin down. Probably the overly aggressive color saturation, especially the reds.
The Z9D has a better default picture, but you really need to look hard for it. Mostly small details in complex pictures like rocky river shores, You need to sit pretty close to the screen to pick them out. It's a really thick set too, thick as my 10 year old plasma.
The gloss screen of the 940E makes the colors pop a bit more than the Z9D, but also increases reflections. Fortunately in my case, I wall mount the TV pretty high and angle it back down to the viewing area, which really helps.
The plasma, lol. 10 year old technology, was a relief to donate it to the local church, didn't need another space heater anyway.
I have a decent surround system so no comment on the built-in audio capabilities.
I use a Harmony remote and external source devices, so no comment on the remote or built-in apps.

I left the settings pretty much stock. I knocked the brightness down 2 steps from max to keep the blacks really black. Nothing else has stuck out as an issue yet, but I might play around some more. I tried a few settings from the the rtings review and frankly didn't really care for them. I can see why they want to turn post-processing off for testing purposes but I like them on.
The 940E was the best choice for me in my situation. The picture is amazing with a well mastered disc in our Oppo udp-203, but is still amazing when streaming Netflix or Youtube 4K via our Nvidia Shield. We find ourselves looking for random HDR content just to ooh and ahh. I would buy it again given all the same options.
tmdorsey, mnc, adforster and 5 others like this.

Last edited by AirKuhl; 06-09-2017 at 03:46 PM.
post #1526 of 3559 Old 06-09-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
You can't write all that and then not share c'mon dude. I'll try out your settings.
and @tmdorsey
Sorry, Yes, I'll post. Tied up for awhile. Check back later.
post #1527 of 3559 Old 06-09-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Anyone know why Cinema Pro and Custom have way different colors when all of the settings are made identical? I can't decide which one I like better when I have the settings I like. Custom seems to give me more color pop and gets a lot brighter with both being on Gamma -2.

To get a really good understanding of the presets and what they do, follow the link and listen to the interview I reposted (from another members post) of the Sony Engineer's explanation of the displays processing modes. Then you may better decide how to customize each preset. You'll have to listen to the whole thing 'cause color gamut/space is also discussed and they relate.
post #1528 of 3559 Old 06-09-2017, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Anyone notice a vertical black bar about a few inches wide flash on the right hand part of their screen. Doesn't happen consistently, it's random. Only appears a few milliseconds but it's noticeable. I've had it happen on OTA and the HDR input off a 4K UHD.
post #1529 of 3559 Old 06-09-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
OK, here you are. Remember, these settings are for cable programming in a moderately lit room (day) and slightly above theater lighting at night.

Custom Setting Calibration Preferred Cinema Pro Setting Calibration

Brightness: Calibrated @ 25 (50%) Brightness: Calibrated @ 25 (50%)
Auto Picture: Off Same
Brightness: 35 30
Contrast: 85 86
Color: 50 50
Light Sensor: Off Off
Advanced Settings-
Gamma: 0 -2
Black Level: 50 50
Black Adj.: Off Off
Adv. Contrast: Medium Off
Local Dimming: Medium Medium
X-Tended Dynamic Range: Medium Off
Hue: 0 0
Color Temp.: Warm Warm
Adv. Temp: Defaults Defaults
Live Color: Off Off
Sharpness: 50 50
Reality Creation: Manual Manual
Resolution: 50 40
Random Noise: Auto Auto
Digital Noise: Auto Auto
Smooth Gradation: Low Low
MotionFlow: Custom Tru Cinema
Smoothness: 3 3 (Default)
Clearness: 2 2 (Default)
CineMotion: Medium High
Options: All Auto All Auto
After setting everything, set brightness to needs/taste as I did above. I hope these prove useful as a tweaking point for you or are satisfactory as is.
Please let me know what you think of these.
tmdorsey, mnc, Nosferatu and 2 others like this.

Last edited by UHD AV; 06-09-2017 at 11:18 PM.
post #1530 of 3559 Old 06-10-2017, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I am a quantity kinda guy. You gentleman know yourselves right, I hope? You are either a quantity kind of guy or a quality kind guy. Even in motorcycles, 4 Yamaha cruisers here compared to one Harley, love my choice
There have been comments in the past about a thread on a particular model being taken over by another model, usually starting by way of comparison between the two.

But, motorcycles! Aren't we going a little far off the field now? Harley vs. 940e. (joke)

Last edited by Robert Whitehead; 06-10-2017 at 03:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page