*OFFICIAL* 2017 Sony XBR-X940E - Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 74 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1584Likes

post #2191 of 3498 Old 08-09-2017, 01:19 PM
All That Jazz

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czickefoose View Post
So you don't think advanced contrast, black adjust and extended dynamic range should be on? I just feel like those options make the picture better. I've turned them off and the picture just looks so dull. I know to each his own, but I was just curious your reason for them being off. Is there a advantage in your opinion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Those are features I generally leave off. I understand what they do, but it is a YMMV. I also know the calibrator is going to cut them off anyways. Basically, with any design, you have the base performance, and then these menu bells and whistles, like noise reduction, I tend to leave them off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astennu View Post
I really like the Xtended Dynamic range feature. contrast is better. Highlights are brighter. Did the test with the star scene and Xtended Dynamic range was not the cause for the dimming. It improved the overall look.

So i leave it turned on.
When I had my TV calibrated, none of these features were turned on. However, with experimentation I found that judicious use of Xtended Dynamic Range and ACE set to low gave the picture a bit more pop and contrast which looked better on some source material even though it is not as accurate as leaving them off.

A/V SYSTEM: Sony Z9D 75" LCD main, LG EF9500 OLED, Anthem 525 5.1 channel amp, Anthem AVM 60 processor, ProAc D80 L+R, ProAc Response CC, AT surround Speakers, SVS SB12+ Sub, Oppo 203 and OPPO 103 BluRay players, TiVo Bolt, PS Audio P10 power plant, Auralex room treatments, black out curtains.
2 CHANNEL: Aurender N10 music server, Ayre QX-5 & PSAudio DS DACs, PS Audio DMP tranport, ARC Ref6 preamp, Ayre MX-R 20 amp, Sonus Faber Amati Futura speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 3498 Old 08-09-2017, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by twssas View Post
considering this tv, and a big user of the Apple TV 4, was wondering if you were able to resolve your issue?
Not really, tried hooking it to the Marantz but still had problems. I am hoping that the new 4k Apple TV will solve the problem when it comes out.
Dan
post #2193 of 3498 Old 08-09-2017, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 4065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fosse View Post
When I had my TV calibrated, none of these features were turned on. However, with experimentation I found that judicious use of Xtended Dynamic Range and ACE set to low gave the picture a bit more pop and contrast which looked better on some source material even though it is not as accurate as leaving them off.
Thanks, I am going to try both on for SDR and just see whats up. I know normally when these are pro calibrated, they turn dimming and the other stuff off, but you can add them back (especially dimming) after the fact.

post #2194 of 3498 Old 08-09-2017, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
I do believe I have read similar before. I can't recall if it is with regard to the 940E or the Z9D... But either which way, a Sony with the x1 extreme processor...

Is HDMI-CEC off on the TV? When you have already have a robust Harmony remote to group activities together and control multiple devices simultaneously under one activity, I don't think CEC does much/anything for you anymore... Maybe make sure that's turned off?
seems to be resolved... of course it was the harmony's fault; this tv is perfect I had to go into my harmony settings via the desktop software and completely remove every single command for every single button for the 'Watch TV' activity. Even though the TIVO is the primary for that activity Harmony stupidly added 'SMART' capabilities to the remote specifically for SONY tv's... stupid!

Quote:
I found it in the ZD9 thread (Fake HDR) under 10K's settings. I have heard good things about their fake HDR, so maybe I will try low on SDR.

Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off (can enhance picture in many cases, sometimes causes loss of shadow detail. Start with low and experiment with what you like)
Xtended Dynamic Range Off (anything but off engages a "fake HDR" mode. Try Low and see if you like it)

Sounds like low is a good option to try on both.

The contrast enhancer from what I read analyzes each frame's dark and light points and makes the adjustment according to what is on the screen. I assume this is kinda what dynamic HDR does. Xtended Dynamic range just seems to note darker areas and dim the led more and then adds pop by brightening the led's in lit areas, giving you more perceived POP.

I figure both together attempt to make SDR like dynamic HDR. Not sure the point of xtended dyn range settings in HDR mode, I mean it should be in that mode anyways, but everyone seems to use High. Curious as to how Contrast Enhancer behaves in HDR too.
I gotta hand it to @gadgtfreek . A purist among us; takes a lot to keep those settings how the curator intended them to be. For me, I abuse that 'fake HDR'. Ever since I had my plasma calibrated I realized preference over reference was the way for me.

What I do is keep reference for blu ray / 4k and then I abuse the fake hdr and processing capabilities for over the air material and sometimes streaming. I am still going back and fourth between medium and high for most of theses settings for SDR/OTA but mostly I have settled for Auto for cleaning the image, and medium for making the image pop (generalizing features).

I will say this, coming from Samsung, this TV does a much better job 'scaling' the options of these features. on the Samsungs its like 'very low' to 'very high' from what I have experienced. Sony seems to allow for much better user customization.

Video: 78JS9500(MAIN) / 60E8000 Plasma [Previously:58c8000/75hu8550/78ju7500] BD Player: Samsung K8500
Audio: Marantz 7010 / SVS PB-13 Ultra / Klipsch RF-7ii RC-64ii Polk M70's IC-5800 (5.1.4)
post #2195 of 3498 Old 08-09-2017, 03:11 PM

LOL. Im prob afflicted because I have been watching a pro cal'd setup since 2009, and I'm brainwashed

I tried ACE and XDR on Directv, um, not for me

Gonna try on higher quality stuff.
post #2196 of 3498 Old 08-09-2017, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnhawley View Post
Not really, tried hooking it to the Marantz but still had problems. I am hoping that the new 4k Apple TV will solve the problem when it comes out.
Dan
Not good. Did you try to do a reset on your Apple TV? I have found that at times I either do a reset from the apple menu, or remove the power supply for a few minutes and plug it back in. Those things have cleared up hiccups for me. Good luck
post #2197 of 3498 Old 08-09-2017, 06:13 PM

Watched Resident Evil Vendetta tonight, basically like watching a video game but had its moments. PQ was odd at times, but in the city during the day about midway it was fantastic, and the last 20-30 minutes at night, on the building with the final monster, it was gorgeous. The 940E looks superb in a room with no lighting, I mean I have a 6500K LED strip I am still going to try, but man it looks good.

Also demoed the scene in B v S where they fight. The glow and pop of Batman's eyes were great, some parts the OLED would win, but others the 940E takes all the way. From the fire to the gunshots, they were super bright and detailed, much brighter than my E6, and when they are on the roof, the lightning was starting to get to me. Every time it flashed I had to blink, I was like "damn".

Can't wait to demo more stuff when I get time, and I settled on Motionflow Custom, 3 and 0 over Standard.
post #2198 of 3498 Old 08-10-2017, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I found it in the ZD9 thread (Fake HDR) under 10K's settings. I have heard good things about their fake HDR, so maybe I will try low on SDR.

Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off (can enhance picture in many cases, sometimes causes loss of shadow detail. Start with low and experiment with what you like)
Xtended Dynamic Range Off (anything but off engages a "fake HDR" mode. Try Low and see if you like it)

Sounds like low is a good option to try on both.

The contrast enhancer from what I read analyzes each frame's dark and light points and makes the adjustment according to what is on the screen. I assume this is kinda what dynamic HDR does. Xtended Dynamic range just seems to note darker areas and dim the led more and then adds pop by brightening the led's in lit areas, giving you more perceived POP.

I figure both together attempt to make SDR like dynamic HDR. Not sure the point of xtended dyn range settings in HDR mode, I mean it should be in that mode anyways, but everyone seems to use High. Curious as to how Contrast Enhancer behaves in HDR too.
I dont use advanced contrast or Black level adjust. Had problems in the past that to much was dimmed on the X850C (it did not have local dimming) But sometimes it dimmed the screen when it should not + you saw it transition. Never tried it on the 940E because local dimming and XDR high game me the image i wanted.

SDR gets a HDR feel with Local dimming and XDR on high. its not 100% the same but very close. it seems to boost contrast quite a bit.

I have tested the values with static images of stars. And i ended up with High on both. giving me the best contrast and highest brightness and lowest blooming.

So just play around with the setting in a completely dark room then you can see the difference better.
You can also capture it in pictures but then you have to use fixed shutter and aperture values i still have some pictures i made in the past. You can clearly see the brightness differences of all the combinations.

HT Setup: Sony 75X940E - Denon X4100W - Jamo S628 Front's - SVS Ultra Center - SVS Prime Bookshelf (surround) - SVS PC2000 Sub
post #2199 of 3498 Old 08-10-2017, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My Cinema Pro factory for brightness is 40. Gadgtfreak uses 15. Is 15 the right setting? I used the picture standard previously and set brightness at 37 and it was good.

Sony XBR75X940E, Onkyo TX-RZ800, Klipsch speakers, SVS subwoofer, Tivo Roamio
post #2200 of 3498 Old 08-10-2017, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Watched Resident Evil Vendetta tonight, basically like watching a video game but had its moments. PQ was odd at times, but in the city during the day about midway it was fantastic, and the last 20-30 minutes at night, on the building with the final monster, it was gorgeous. The 940E looks superb in a room with no lighting, I mean I have a 6500K LED strip I am still going to try, but man it looks good.

Also demoed the scene in B v S where they fight. The glow and pop of Batman's eyes were great, some parts the OLED would win, but others the 940E takes all the way. From the fire to the gunshots, they were super bright and detailed, much brighter than my E6, and when they are on the roof, the lightning was starting to get to me. Every time it flashed I had to blink, I was like "damn".

Can't wait to demo more stuff when I get time, and I settled on Motionflow Custom, 3 and 0 over Standard.

You have to demo Pacific Rim. I love demoing that movie. Now, I have a huge sound system and that movie makes me pee a little every time I listen to it, but the video on it is amazing too! It is full screen too, which I love. But the black scenes with flashes of blue and green and all other colors during the fight scenes of the Jaegers are just amazing. You'll love it on this TV!. Fantastic Beasts and Great Wall were also very good too!
gadgtfreek and King Richard like this.
post #2201 of 3498 Old 08-10-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanc View Post
My Cinema Pro factory for brightness is 40. Gadgtfreak uses 15. Is 15 the right setting? I used the picture standard previously and set brightness at 37 and it was good.
Somewhere around 5 is 100 nits, which is a tad low IMO. 15 is actually pretty bright, 40 would be like for day room or something.
chanc likes this.
post #2202 of 3498 Old 08-10-2017, 08:31 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3026 Post(s)
Liked: 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmercer3 View Post
seems to be resolved... of course it was the harmony's fault; this tv is perfect
I don't know about that, but she is real nice...lol

--940E just took a price hit

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 08-10-2017 at 10:16 AM.
post #2203 of 3498 Old 08-10-2017, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Not good. Did you try to do a reset on your Apple TV? I have found that at times I either do a reset from the apple menu, or remove the power supply for a few minutes and plug it back in. Those things have cleared up hiccups for me. Good luck
I found that unpluging unit would work to, but I wish there was an easier way. My Roku works without problems. I guess its the Apple software thats not 100% compatible.
Dan
post #2204 of 3498 Old 08-11-2017, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Somewhere around 5 is 100 nits, which is a tad low IMO. 15 is actually pretty bright, 40 would be like for day room or something.
I am using your settings. Rtings mentioned that they left gamma at 0, did you try it? Thanks again gadgtgeek for sharing your experience and settings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
gadgtfreek likes this.

post #2205 of 3498 Old 08-11-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanc View Post
I am using your settings. Rtings mentioned that they left gamma at 0, did you try it? Thanks again gadgtgeek for sharing your experience and settings.

Nah. -1 is about a 2.3 gamma, and -2 is a 2.4 gamma which is what I want. I would assume 0 is around 2.2, which isn't bad, but I love the richness of the image with a 2.4 result. I've been using a display at that gamma for so long, it is what I'm used to.

I do leave it at 0 in HDR, because I am not sure what is proper here.
chanc likes this.
post #2206 of 3498 Old 08-11-2017, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I see Sony is now advertising Dolby Vision for this TV. Does that mean if I buy this TV today, will it have Dolby Vision or is this still a Firmware update.
post #2207 of 3498 Old 08-11-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_Auger View Post
I see Sony is now advertising Dolby Vision for this TV. Does that mean if I buy this TV today, will it have Dolby Vision or is this still a Firmware update.

They put that up last week, assuming because they are now certified. No FW update yet though.
post #2208 of 3498 Old 08-11-2017, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_Auger View Post
It's a software update. It should say that at the bottom in one of the footnotes.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #2209 of 3498 Old 08-11-2017, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I see it now in the Footnotes.
Thank you.
post #2210 of 3498 Old 08-11-2017, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Really happy with gadgtfreek's settings

dmercer3 likes this.

Last edited by chanc; 08-12-2017 at 05:49 AM.
post #2211 of 3498 Old 08-11-2017, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Best picture of Netflix I have ever seen. Comcast 720p is not bad.

post #2212 of 3498 Old 08-11-2017, 03:46 PM

Anyone know what a solid red indicator light means? When I came home from work I noticed the light under the sony logo was dim red, when I turned it on it turned right back off. Second turn on it basically booted up like it had lost power. We had storms while I was at work, wonder if it was a power flicker caused it to go haywire. For someone reason I remember the 930C doing something weird like this, and you always saw it boot up with the android logo.

All setting are intact and it is acting fine.
post #2213 of 3498 Old 08-12-2017, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Unhappy Vertical banding

I love the picture on my 940e, but in scenes with bright light-colored backgrounds I get some vertical banding. I don't see it with the 5% grey slides, mainly on broadcast TV with bright white backgrounds but also see it on blu-rays. I have been looking at trying to improve it, and some have recommended reducing contrast (mine is currently at 90). Do you guys have any tips on this? I don't want to have to go to the trouble of exchanging it if I don't have to, as everything else is good. Thanks.

Pioneer Elite SC-LX901 Receiver, Magnepan MG2.5/R x4 and CC3 center channel speakers with Sound Anchor stands, Power Sound Audio S3000i subwoofer, Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR-75X940E TV, Monoprice Premium HDMI and DH Labs Silver Sonic T-14 speaker cables
post #2214 of 3498 Old 08-12-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdoc View Post
I love the picture on my 940e, but in scenes with bright light-colored backgrounds I get some vertical banding. I don't see it with the 5% grey slides, mainly on broadcast TV with bright white backgrounds but also see it on blu-rays. I have been looking at trying to improve it, and some have recommended reducing contrast (mine is currently at 90). Do you guys have any tips on this? I don't want to have to go to the trouble of exchanging it if I don't have to, as everything else is good. Thanks.
I am not sure if some is normal and I got lucky or what, but one of the things about my 940E that surprised me is how uniform it is.
post #2215 of 3498 Old 08-12-2017, 09:50 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3026 Post(s)
Liked: 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdoc View Post
I think you need to test different devices outputting video if it is mainly happening on cable, it could be the feed....... Way back when, like 20 years ago, I had my coax cable going thru a surge unit, had random issues, it was the surge unit in the end.
post #2216 of 3498 Old 08-12-2017, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 48
940 or 900e

900 or 940e. I posted this earlier today in the 900e owners thread, and wanted to also post here and get the opinions of the 940 owners.

This is a real struggle making a decision. Both sets look great, and reviews from owners support this. I would like to pick one today, and move on

Currently have a Samsung 65hu8550 with evolution kit. great picture, zero problems. I'm ready for a 75" set, as I set 10-11 away with nearly straight on viewing angle.

Yesterday took wife (who like many of you holds veto rights) to Best Buy for a review. This was my 3d trip. I had a thumb drive with me with some 4K photos I had taken on vacation to look at on he TV's. Best Buy had the TV's mounted on their wall, with a 75" 850e bottom lower right, and 65" 900e above it (with some light glare ), and on the bottom to the left the 75" 940e. I put the thumbdrive in the 850, then the 900, then the 940. The 940 would actually blow you away, with how my photos were displayed. The 850 were ok, but could not really get a good feel for the 900, because of the positioning of the set on the wall, and the glare from all the store lights.

The 940 certainly "popped", but in looking at all the reviews (and I'm still going through them), the biggest ding on the 940 is the motion (from rtings, anyway), and the lowest score on the 900 was local dimming. Most other categories, seemed to be within reasonable range of each other with SDR peak brightness being nearly equal between both sets, and the 940 having a somewhat higher score on the HDR peak brightness test. And the lack of Dolby Vision on the 900. Dont really know if that will be a big deal or not.

Tests are one thing, but you guys and your experiences are the real deals. For those of you with the 940e, , are you satisfied with the "wow" factor, being the brightness of the display, and any other factors, especially MOTION/BLUR. (football coming up) I say that because, after I got back home yesterday after looking at the photos on the Sony's, I put the thumb drive back in my Samsung, and even my wife (who says she would be satisfied with just a 32 inch tv) could tell that it wasnt near a bright. Now that was a first!

Anyway, appreciate any thoughts you may have.
post #2217 of 3498 Old 08-12-2017, 11:07 AM

My motion looks fine, better than the OLED I have. If you do any kind of dark room watching, you want as many zones as you can afford, and HDR plays in here. More zones the better.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #2218 of 3498 Old 08-12-2017, 11:26 AM

Just got notified Chad B will be in town 9/13-9/23, so I am set for SDR and HDR cal.

Also got this in today:

Read the stick backing on it wasn't so hot, and I did not want to stick all the way across with the removable panels, so I used these

I like that is adjustable and has a remote, will try and find a good setting tonight, but 20% looks nice.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #2219 of 3498 Old 08-12-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1885 Post(s)
Liked: 1957
Quote:
900 or 940e. I posted this earlier today in the 900e owners thread, and wanted to also post here and get the opinions of the 940 owners.

This is a real struggle making a decision. Both sets look great, and reviews from owners support this. I would like to pick one today, and move on

Currently have a Samsung 65hu8550 with evolution kit. great picture, zero problems. I'm ready for a 75" set, as I set 10-11 away with nearly straight on viewing angle.

Yesterday took wife (who like many of you holds veto rights) to Best Buy for a review. This was my 3d trip. I had a thumb drive with me with some 4K photos I had taken on vacation to look at on he TV's. Best Buy had the TV's mounted on their wall, with a 75" 850e bottom lower right, and 65" 900e above it (with some light glare ), and on the bottom to the left the 75" 940e. I put the thumbdrive in the 850, then the 900, then the 940. The 940 would actually blow you away, with how my photos were displayed. The 850 were ok, but could not really get a good feel for the 900, because of the positioning of the set on the wall, and the glare from all the store lights.

The 940 certainly "popped", but in looking at all the reviews (and I'm still going through them), the biggest ding on the 940 is the motion (from rtings, anyway), and the lowest score on the 900 was local dimming. Most other categories, seemed to be within reasonable range of each other with SDR peak brightness being nearly equal between both sets, and the 940 having a somewhat higher score on the HDR peak brightness test. And the lack of Dolby Vision on the 900. Dont really know if that will be a big deal or not.

Tests are one thing, but you guys and your experiences are the real deals. For those of you with the 940e, , are you satisfied with the "wow" factor, being the brightness of the display, and any other factors, especially MOTION/BLUR. (football coming up) I say that because, after I got back home yesterday after looking at the photos on the Sony's, I put the thumb drive back in my Samsung, and even my wife (who says she would be satisfied with just a 32 inch tv) could tell that it wasnt near a bright. Now that was a first!

Anyway, appreciate any thoughts you may have.
Quote:
My motion looks fine, better than the OLED I have. If you do any kind of dark room watching, you want as many zones as you can afford, and HDR plays in here. More zones the better.
Rather ask yourself this! I'm considering the 940e and the only set in its category performance wise is the Z9D and when glancing over at it while comparing sets do to perhaps its price and or not willing to pay that much but "man that would be nice" but instead I look over at the 900 and sure its nice and would surely fit the bill sans a few features DV,fewer dimming zone and the top chip but its way cheaper. My point and my opinion! The 940 gives you 80-90% of the Z9D performance period along with improved contrast. Motion? don't even concern yourself with that as the 940e delivers in spades and you'll be a happy camper not wondering and sitting back feeling like you got away with something
post #2220 of 3498 Old 08-12-2017, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The time has come!

Well, pulling the trigger on the 940E on Tuesday and will have Lavish HiFi in Santa Rosa set it up a week later....now I just have to find calibration settings from all the posts!
audiofan1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page