*OFFICIAL* 2017 Sony XBR-X940E - Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 95 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1585Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2821 of 3506 Old 09-21-2017, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 16,997
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3026 Post(s)
Liked: 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgm55082 View Post
Ordered the 940E after returning my LG B7 and the big guy arrives on Tuesday. So, I have a couple of questions:
Bigger is usually better.........
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2822 of 3506 Old 09-21-2017, 08:51 AM
Member
 
final442's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangers View Post
I've never seen exact details of the processing applied but I've seen it mentioned on the Sony forums a couple of times. If you watch this episode of Home Theater Geeks it provides a great insight into the different processing that the TV does. The Sony Rep advocates use of the cinema modes to get the most out of the TV (so avoid the custom mode):

https://twit.tv/shows/home-theater-geeks/episodes/341

It's a long but interesting video. Use of the cinema modes is mentioned at 20:30
I didn't get a chance to watch the video yet but this interests me. If i choose custom mode and set all of the settings that are available to exactly the same as CinemaPro, it is not the same? Each setting has additional processing or settings that are not available to change and different from each other?
final442 is offline  
post #2823 of 3506 Old 09-21-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 10,167
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 4065
I think Cinema Home and Pro map HDR differently, not sure on SDR. Custom should be same as PRO IIRC.
psuKinger likes this.
gadgtfreek is offline  
 
post #2824 of 3506 Old 09-21-2017, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
psuKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,892
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I think Cinema Home and Pro map HDR differently, not sure on SDR. Custom should be same as PRO IIRC.
Fascinating.

Also, could be entirely coincidence... but I've liked Contrast Enhancer (set to medium) on CinemaHome, but preferred it *off* for both Pro and Custom...
psuKinger is offline  
post #2825 of 3506 Old 09-21-2017, 09:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I think Cinema Home and Pro map HDR differently, not sure on SDR. Custom should be same as PRO IIRC.
The Sony rep actually says some of the consumer based processing is lost if you go to custom ;-) Watch from 20:30
Tangers is offline  
post #2826 of 3506 Old 09-21-2017, 09:51 AM
Member
 
NUPE009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingSims View Post
Is there a status button on the remote that will inform me the set is receiving an HDR signal?
If I use the 940E's onboard apps (Netflix) does the set know there is an HDR signal present? When in Netfix is indicates Ultra 4k is that SDR or HDR?
I have used my Xbox One S to stream Netflix as well, however I read that once you select HDR in the Xbox settings it all gets upconverted to HDR, so I am trying to pick the purest form of streaming.
I purchased the Bourne collection but do not see a mention of HDR, again it says Ultra 4k, is that the same?
IS there an HDR source in Netflix you can recommend?
Thanks for the help.
In Netflix you can search for HDR and it will pull up all available HDR content. I believe that the TV shows HDR at the bottom of the screen when HDR content starts then it goes away. It also shows 1080p at the bottom of the screen for 1080p content.
NUPE009 is offline  
post #2827 of 3506 Old 09-21-2017, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
Hi Deaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgm55082 View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what are the major advantages to this setup?
Ha!, I'm not sure either. I assume you can save money if you are not using their non 4K receiver, but I think they still charge you for the mini client (4K) even if you don't want it. On the 4K side, if you use a mini client there is an annoying one, to one and a half second delay when fast forwarding, and then pushing play. I hate commercials so nearly all of the programs we watch are recorded.

DTV says this delay is "normal."(???) I believe that if you bypass the mini client, you can get rid of the delay. If your not bothered by the delay, I don't see any advantages of RVU. Your mileage may vary. Tom

Sony 940E / Sony X800 / DTV 4K / Denon / Klipsch
Hi Deaf is offline  
post #2828 of 3506 Old 09-21-2017, 10:32 AM
Senior Member
 
CHAS ZOSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: EAST OCEANVIEW ON BEACH AS OF 1975
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Wall mount screw location?

I was trying to find the location of the wall mount screw locations, if some one could measure the location of screw holes from the bottom edge of tv it would be great. I have a 75 850C mounted and the mounting holes look to be in the bottom of the back and the 940 E look to be in the middle of the back. Thank you
cgm55082 likes this.

CHAS ZOSS OPPO EAP 2nd ROUND late entry!
CHAS ZOSS is online now  
post #2829 of 3506 Old 09-21-2017, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,938
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1885 Post(s)
Liked: 1958
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I think Cinema Home and Pro map HDR differently, not sure on SDR. Custom should be same as PRO IIRC.
I'll try to find the link but it was mentioned using the three Custom>Cinema Pro>Cinema Home that Custom and Cinema Home had closer tone mapping and less clipping with some content. When deciding on which to use for the different HDR mastering nits and using the famous scene in Batman vs Superman when Affleck (Batman)is receiving the message from the future and the other scene Vincent used to show the difference between three different Oled's (see link below) Cinema pro the brightest of the three modes, introduced no clipping what so ever and may be a benefit of the 940e's improved contrast and so even if the movie is mastered at 4000 nits (will be great for DV,when it arrives) I haven't had a chance to compare the tone mapping but just to be safe I keep both Cinema pro and Cinema Home at ready for movies (SDr and HDR) and use Custom for casual viewing.
audiofan1 is online now  
post #2830 of 3506 Old 09-21-2017, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MUDCAT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Bigger is usually better.........
Sometimes we get lucky and find one who does not have previous experience with all sizes.
MUDCAT45 is online now  
post #2831 of 3506 Old 09-21-2017, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dmercer3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 417
ARC and Sony different?

Ok so 100% of the time this is a very simple answer and this time its kicking my arse...


The only way I could get the ARC channel to work from this tv was to enable the Bravia sync function. Nothing else worked, not enabling HDMI control on either/or/both my AVR (Marantz 6010) or the TV.

Fine, so enabling Bravia sync worked... problem is NOW the freakin tv keeps wanting to send sound through the TV speakers when I change inputs, and I have to go into the menu and switch it back to external speakers...

This is just weird, maybe sony is handling things different than what I was used to with samsung. Anyone have any input?

Video: 78JS9500(MAIN) / 60E8000 Plasma [Previously:58c8000/75hu8550/78ju7500] BD Player: Samsung K8500
Audio: Marantz 7010 / SVS PB-13 Ultra / Klipsch RF-7ii RC-64ii Polk M70's IC-5800 (5.1.4)
dmercer3 is offline  
post #2832 of 3506 Old 09-21-2017, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
davehale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: US, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo SuperCluster
Posts: 962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 351
I have a Z9 but almost the same as yours. I have a Denon 4300H but almost the same as yours. If I turn on my TV from the Sony Remote the Denon turns on and the TV says Switched to External Speakers and the Denon goes into Stereo mode. All this is on the ARC inputs (tv and Denon). Pretty sure something in your Marantz needs to be turned On and then something like "Scene Select" needs to be pressed to memorize all your functions for that input. That's all I did when I first got my Sony and Denon and all is well so far. Hopefully others will chime in and be more specific to your equipment. Changing inputs I believe gets you away from the ARC inputs.

Sony 65Z9D, OPPO 203, ATV4K, Denon X4300H, 7.1 setup
TCL P605, Denon 4311, BJC cables, EVGA 1080ti, Star Citizen
Ethernet everything, AT&T 24Mbps
davehale is online now  
post #2833 of 3506 Old 09-21-2017, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MCaugusto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: BOSTON --- MA ---
Posts: 1,628
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 234
WOW !...That is the word that comes to my mind concerning the Sony XBR-75X940E performance and its crazy msrp up&down ~ down&up roller-coaster pricing.

I placed my order for a 940E with Best Buy on 8/25 and installation on 9/8 which then had msrp of $4.5K and two days later dropped to $4.3K; I immediately emailed the salesman that had handled my order and he took care of arranging the $200 refund asap.

Then on Tuesday night two days ago i happened to google "sony xbr-75x940e" as i have been doing almost every day for the past three months and my jaw literally dropped when i saw the new msrp of only $4K.
I phoned Best Buy customer service to ask for another refund and was told that because i purchased my set at a store and not online, i had to go back to the same store to request the refund.

I figured the new msrp would last until the end of this week or even longer so i wouldn't have to rush to the store BUT my instincts told me otherwise so i went back to the store yesterday afternoon and after talking to a sales guy at Magnolia store and he trying repeatedly to arrange for a refund he had to call the manager for help.
The manager then started reading to me what showed on the computer screen, that according to Best Buy policies only one refund could be given to a previously purchased item and at that point i told him that was not printed on the Best Buy "price match" guarantee and that i was ready to cancel my entire order, have Best Buy employees come over my place to repackage and pick up the set and that i would re-order the 940E at its new price right then and there.

I guess he realized it would not be a good policy to argue over it while angering a customer that had just spent $5K on a purchase and hurt the company's image online, so suddenly he managed to fix the refund problem and i got another $318 taken off the price i had originally paid for my set. I left the store with a big grin on my face, that is for sure !
Out of curiosity, does anyone here know exactly how long this msrp of $4K lasted for ? Was it in effect for this past weekend up to Wednesday or was it a two day deal for Tuesday/Wednesday, or what ?

Insofar as the performance of my 940E set i must have been very/very lucky because using full field test images in white, greys and black i cannot see any screen anomalies such as "dirty screen effect", banding, smudges, dark corners, backlight grid shadowing, streaks, light bleed on edges of screen, dead pixels, objectionable blooming + haloing, etc, etc.

Just a beautiful picture overall with the exception that it catches reflections like any other huge piece of black glass does but i guess that is to be expected especially after i noticed even worse reflectivity on most sets on display at Best Buy, specifically a Sony 65" OLED that seemed to display as much content as all the reflections onscreen coming from lights in the store.

Last edited by MCaugusto; 09-21-2017 at 04:15 PM.
MCaugusto is offline  
post #2834 of 3506 Old 09-21-2017, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 10,167
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 4065
Mine is very uniform as well.
chunon likes this.
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #2835 of 3506 Old 09-21-2017, 08:24 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys. I've been following this tv model since it rolled out stateside in March. The specs are great. I remember waiting for the rtings.com review because I usually use that as gospel and the extremely poor motion rating is a deterrent for me. I game and watch some cartoons like Archer and Rick & Morty. I've seen screencaps posted here showing ghosting and trailing in animation and sports. That threw me off, and I started looking elsewhere. Oddly, the 900E which is a couple of steps below but my only other Sony 75 inch option is said to have much better motion handling and for less with comparable performance and passable features when savings are considered. But Black Friday is around the corner and I'd still rather get a good deal on the 940E.

I'm sure it's already been discussed and I've tried searching, can anyone point me in the direction of workarounds for settings to minimize ghosting and trailing for maximum clarity and crispness? Or has this issue been addressed in firmware? Or is it simply just a matter of panel lottery with this model? I'd appreciate the help.
Bangerbox is offline  
post #2836 of 3506 Old 09-21-2017, 09:37 PM
CHG
Advanced Member
 
CHG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post
I phoned Best Buy customer service to ask for another refund and was told that because i purchased my set at a store and not online, i had to go back to the same store to request the refund.
Interesting. I bought mine in the store, but was able to get a price match by calling. I did call the elite plus number, so that could have made a difference.
CHG is offline  
post #2837 of 3506 Old 09-22-2017, 03:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dmercer3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehale View Post
I have a Z9 but almost the same as yours. I have a Denon 4300H but almost the same as yours. If I turn on my TV from the Sony Remote the Denon turns on and the TV says Switched to External Speakers and the Denon goes into Stereo mode. All this is on the ARC inputs (tv and Denon). Pretty sure something in your Marantz needs to be turned On and then something like "Scene Select" needs to be pressed to memorize all your functions for that input. That's all I did when I first got my Sony and Denon and all is well so far. Hopefully others will chime in and be more specific to your equipment. Changing inputs I believe gets you away from the ARC inputs.
i use a harmony remote so all the commands happen automatically, so your saying to make sure the TV turns on before the receiver? I can make sure thats happening. Thanks I will mess with the sequence of events and see if that fixes it.

Video: 78JS9500(MAIN) / 60E8000 Plasma [Previously:58c8000/75hu8550/78ju7500] BD Player: Samsung K8500
Audio: Marantz 7010 / SVS PB-13 Ultra / Klipsch RF-7ii RC-64ii Polk M70's IC-5800 (5.1.4)
dmercer3 is offline  
post #2838 of 3506 Old 09-22-2017, 06:25 AM
Member
 
heisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post
WOW !...That is the word that comes to my mind concerning the Sony XBR-75X940E performance and its crazy msrp up&down ~ down&up roller-coaster pricing.

I placed my order for a 940E with Best Buy on 8/25 and installation on 9/8 which then had msrp of $4.5K and two days later dropped to $4.3K; I immediately emailed the salesman that had handled my order and he took care of arranging the $200 refund asap.

Then on Tuesday night two days ago i happened to google "sony xbr-75x940e" as i have been doing almost every day for the past three months and my jaw literally dropped when i saw the new msrp of only $4K.
I phoned Best Buy customer service to ask for another refund and was told that because i purchased my set at a store and not online, i had to go back to the same store to request the refund.

I figured the new msrp would last until the end of this week or even longer so i wouldn't have to rush to the store BUT my instincts told me otherwise so i went back to the store yesterday afternoon and after talking to a sales guy at Magnolia store and he trying repeatedly to arrange for a refund he had to call the manager for help.
The manager then started reading to me what showed on the computer screen, that according to Best Buy policies only one refund could be given to a previously purchased item and at that point i told him that was not printed on the Best Buy "price match" guarantee and that i was ready to cancel my entire order, have Best Buy employees come over my place to repackage and pick up the set and that i would re-order the 940E at its new price right then and there.

I guess he realized it would not be a good policy to argue over it while angering a customer that had just spent $5K on a purchase and hurt the company's image online, so suddenly he managed to fix the refund problem and i got another $318 taken off the price i had originally paid for my set. I left the store with a big grin on my face, that is for sure !
Out of curiosity, does anyone here know exactly how long this msrp of $4K lasted for ? Was it in effect for this past weekend up to Wednesday or was it a two day deal for Tuesday/Wednesday, or what ?

Insofar as the performance of my 940E set i must have been very/very lucky because using full field test images in white, greys and black i cannot see any screen anomalies such as "dirty screen effect", banding, smudges, dark corners, backlight grid shadowing, streaks, light bleed on edges of screen, dead pixels, objectionable blooming + haloing, etc, etc.

Just a beautiful picture overall with the exception that it catches reflections like any other huge piece of black glass does but i guess that is to be expected especially after i noticed even worse reflectivity on most sets on display at Best Buy, specifically a Sony 65" OLED that seemed to display as much content as all the reflections onscreen coming from lights in the store.
Sounds awful. Just scared to get it for much less online without the tax or hassle?
heisman is offline  
post #2839 of 3506 Old 09-22-2017, 06:27 AM
Member
 
heisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangerbox View Post
Hey guys. I've been following this tv model since it rolled out stateside in March. The specs are great. I remember waiting for the rtings.com review because I usually use that as gospel and the extremely poor motion rating is a deterrent for me. I game and watch some cartoons like Archer and Rick & Morty. I've seen screencaps posted here showing ghosting and trailing in animation and sports. That threw me off, and I started looking elsewhere. Oddly, the 900E which is a couple of steps below but my only other Sony 75 inch option is said to have much better motion handling and for less with comparable performance and passable features when savings are considered. But Black Friday is around the corner and I'd still rather get a good deal on the 940E.

I'm sure it's already been discussed and I've tried searching, can anyone point me in the direction of workarounds for settings to minimize ghosting and trailing for maximum clarity and crispness? Or has this issue been addressed in firmware? Or is it simply just a matter of panel lottery with this model? I'd appreciate the help.
I have never seen any ghosting or motion/trailing issues with my set.
chunon likes this.
heisman is offline  
post #2840 of 3506 Old 09-22-2017, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
psuKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,892
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Does somebody want to recommend a calibration tool to me? I can't get anywhere with my old Disney WOW disc. I've tried to turn all the processing off.

This is where my Obsessive Compulsiveness is probably not a good thing... because I'm really happy with what I'm looking at right now, following 10k's guidance and then fiddling to my preferences.... but.... I dunno.... I kinda want to formally go through the process myself, and this old tool just ain't cuttin it.
psuKinger is offline  
post #2841 of 3506 Old 09-22-2017, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 10,167
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 4065
Your next step is something like a D3 Pro from Chromapure or a C6 from Spectracal with software, and then get something like Masciola's SDR and HDR calibration discs for patterns.
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #2842 of 3506 Old 09-22-2017, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
davehale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: US, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo SuperCluster
Posts: 962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmercer3 View Post
i use a harmony remote so all the commands happen automatically, so your saying to make sure the TV turns on before the receiver? I can make sure thats happening. Thanks I will mess with the sequence of events and see if that fixes it.
For my Denon unit this works only on the Main Zone and the Denon is on Quick Select
If I happen to disconnect and reconnect an HDMI cable the HDMI Control must be reset each time on the Denon
Also be sure your monitor is plugged into the correct Monitor In, which is Monitor 1 on my Denon
For the Sony under Settings>External Input>Bravia Sync Settings: Device Auto Power and TV Auto power are both ON
Under the Settings>Sound>Speakers: Speakers Audio System is ON
Hope this helps.

Sony 65Z9D, OPPO 203, ATV4K, Denon X4300H, 7.1 setup
TCL P605, Denon 4311, BJC cables, EVGA 1080ti, Star Citizen
Ethernet everything, AT&T 24Mbps
davehale is online now  
post #2843 of 3506 Old 09-22-2017, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kadath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Just got my Apple TV in and updated my Denon receiver with its HDR patch. Apple TV is not recognizing HDR-10 on the 940e. Anyone get it to work?

Also, periodic reminder: it’s been 9 months. Get your DV **** together Sony!

Edit: Ok didn’t have enhanced format on, that did it. Terrible colors now, gotta fix that but on the way.

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten

Last edited by Kadath; 09-22-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Kadath is offline  
post #2844 of 3506 Old 09-22-2017, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kadath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Alright, very confused here. Neither Xbox 1 S nor Oppo 203 required me to turn on enhanced. Is this because only Apple TV runs at 4k60?

When I turn on enhanced all of my colors are a disaster and there is totally flat screen, no brightness. Do I need a separate calibration for this mode and where do I start???

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
Kadath is offline  
post #2845 of 3506 Old 09-22-2017, 02:41 PM
Member
 
nj1420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey guys, I received my 940E today and will have it mounted this weekend. I have an old Denon 3311ci receiver which doesn't handle 4K or HDR. How do I get sound from the TV to my surround sound speakers? Also, I will be upgrading to DirecTV 4K. Is it better to use the internal RVU app or to use the C61 mini genie? How would I connect that as well? Thanks in advance!
nj1420 is online now  
post #2846 of 3506 Old 09-22-2017, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
BPlayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Artic Circle, North Pole
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Use the ARC channel via HDMI cable from the TV back to the Denon. Look for HDMI port on the TV that is labeled HDMI/ARC. When playing a source that originates on the TV select TV input on the Denon. You will also have to specify external sound, rather than internal, in the TV setings, and also have to enable CECI. An alternative is using an optical cable from the TV to the 3311ci.

I have no idea what RVU and C61 are.

Last edited by BPlayer; 09-22-2017 at 08:13 PM.
BPlayer is online now  
post #2847 of 3506 Old 09-22-2017, 04:12 PM
Member
 
nj1420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
Use the ARC channel via HDMI cable from the TV back to the Denon. Look for HDMI port on the TV that is labeled HDMI/ARC. When play a source that originates on the TV select TV input on the Denon. You will also have to specify external sound, rather than internal, in the TV setings, and also have to enable CECI. An alternative is using an optical cable from the TV to the 3311ci.

I have no idea what RVU and C61 are.


Thanks! Which is recommended? Using ARC or an optical cable?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nj1420 is online now  
post #2848 of 3506 Old 09-22-2017, 04:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj1420 View Post
Thanks! Which is recommended? Using ARC or an optical cable?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


HDMI 3 is the ARC one on the TV.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ROMIL is online now  
post #2849 of 3506 Old 09-22-2017, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
BPlayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Artic Circle, North Pole
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj1420 View Post
Thanks! Which is recommended? Using ARC or an optical cable?
HDMI/ARC is the preferred connection especially if that cable is also used for sending video from the receiver to the TV. Optical would be used if turning on CECI causes problem with devices control especially where a Harmony remote is used.
BPlayer is online now  
post #2850 of 3506 Old 09-22-2017, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kadath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 279
I tried 4k30hz HDR at the standard HDMI width and that goes into a dark mode too. So it’s the 940e and Apple TV HDR combo, doesn’t matter how you have the HDMI set. This is really frustrating as nobody else seems to be trying this combo who has a clue how to fix it.

Edit: Swapped to Cinema home, that looks better.

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten

Last edited by Kadath; 09-22-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Kadath is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off