Samsung QN65Q9F 65" QLED-LCD TV Review, Part 1 - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 574Likes

post #601 of 709 Old 06-17-2017, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Liked: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT J View Post
How does sports broadcasts look on the Z9D, like hockey? I watch a lot of hockey, football. That's if you know. Thank You
I watch F1 and college football, both look amazing. I have the 65" which rtings measured with the slow response time. The 75" is a different panel, and owners in the thread have measured ~10ms response time on that set.

IMO the blur on the 65" rarely shows itself, YMMV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 709 Old 06-18-2017, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
How does sports broadcasts look on the Z9D, like hockey? I watch a lot of hockey, football. That's if you know. Thank You
I don't watch a lot of broadcasts in general so can't really say but AFL (Aussie footy) looked amazing on my 65" z9d last time I tuned in.
post #603 of 709 Old 06-18-2017, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked: 3004
Quote:
Perhaps that would be better asked on the Z9 thread?

Denon AVR-X4200W + Arcam Alpha 8P. A 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops. | Samsung 55KS7000 TV (EU/UK single-tuner version of KS8000) | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI-4K modes | 4K chroma test | Samsung 2016 TVs | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays

post #604 of 709 Old 06-18-2017, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
Quote:
I watch F1 and college football, both look amazing. I have the 65" which rtings measured with the slow response time. The 75" is a different panel, and owners in the thread have measured ~10ms response time on that set.

IMO the blur on the 65" rarely shows itself, YMMV
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone26 View Post
Quote:
I don't watch a lot of broadcasts in general so can't really say but AFL (Aussie footy) looked amazing on my 65" z9d last time I tuned in.
Thank you both!
post #605 of 709 Old 06-19-2017, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello to all AVS forum members

This is my 1st post here

I just had an unsuccesful installation of the Q9F, after which I took the decision to return it. I've noticed (during sammy no-gap wall mount setup), that Q9F's panel is actually not flat, but slightly bended (curved?!?), and it made impossible to install it flat against the wall as the 2x side magnet holders could not work at the same time due to slight curved shape of the panel.

See for yourself in the pictures I've attached. Had anybody experienced same issue? The Sammy dealer claims same problem observed on their brand new 2nd unit.

I really wanted this TV badly, but now..?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170609_142250.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	2195769   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170609_142245.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	2195777  
Burningcoals likes this.
post #606 of 709 Old 06-19-2017, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 6595 Post(s)
Liked: 11343
Quote:
Originally Posted by drate View Post

This is my 1st post here

I just had an unsuccesful installation of the Q9F, after which I took the decision to return it. I've noticed (during sammy no-gap wall mount setup), that Q9F's panel is actually not flat, but slightly bended (curved?!?), and it made impossible to install it flat against the wall as the 2x side magnet holders could not work at the same time due to slight curved shape of the panel.

See for yourself in the pictures I've attached. Had anybody experienced same issue? The Sammy dealer claims same problem observed on their brand new 2nd unit.

I really wanted this TV badly, but now..?
I have not seen this, the back of every Q9F I have seen has been ruler flat, that's a fairly significant amount of curve or bend and I wonder what could have caused it. mysterious.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
post #607 of 709 Old 06-19-2017, 06:35 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
. I've noticed (during sammy no-gap wall mount setup), that Q9F's panel is actually not flat, but slightly bended (curved?!?), and it made impossible to install it flat against the wall as the 2x side magnet holders could not work at the same time due to slight curved shape of the panel.
Not normal at all. Mine is completely flat. That being said my wall is not completely flat so the TV would not mount perfectly flat against the wall. I don't mind the way it mounted however.
post #608 of 709 Old 06-20-2017, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I have not seen this, the back of every Q9F I have seen has been ruler flat, that's a fairly significant amount of curve or bend and I wonder what could have caused it. mysterious.
Thanks for answer. Are you able to post some pictures of Your Q9F (at same angle). My dealer (Poland) claims that 2nd TV has same issue. I believe it is some sort of scam, I can send them the proof that they are wrong.
post #609 of 709 Old 06-20-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for answer. Are you able to post some pictures of Your Q9F (at same angle). My dealer (Poland) claims that 2nd TV has same issue. I believe it is some sort of scam, I can send them the proof that they are wrong.
What do you mean by scam? The installers/store that you bought it from said it was supposed to be curved? Did they install it, or did you install it? I kept my Q9 on the stand, it was perfectly strait no bend/curve. I do remember the panel having some major flex to it. If somebody left it flat on a table with half of it hanging off for a while, I could see it maybe starting to bend. Or somebody leaning on it while it was partially hanging off the table. Or it was on the wall and they forgot to install something on the tv and instead of taking the tv off the wall to fix it, they pulled the edge of the tv out and tried to put their hand behind it and bent it....... No this tv should not be curved/bent. Have you seen the new panel they say is bent to?

Last edited by MATT J; 06-20-2017 at 06:02 AM.
post #610 of 709 Old 06-20-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
What do you mean by scam? The installers/store that you bought it from said it was supposed to be curved? Did they install it, or did you install it? I kept my Q9 on the stand, it was perfectly strait no bend/curve. I do remember the panel having some major flex to it. If somebody left it flat on a table with half of it hanging off for a while, I could see it maybe starting to bend. Or somebody leaning on it while it was partially hanging off the table. Or it was on the wall and they forgot to install something on the tv and instead of taking the tv off the wall to fix it, they pulled the edge of the tv out and tried to put their hand behind it and bent it....... No this tv should not be curved/bent. Have you seen the new panel they say is bent to?
Installer was responsible for the TV installation on the wall mount (they did it). I have not seen the 2nd bent TV, but I think I will forget this company and try to buy Q9F from different source.
post #611 of 709 Old 06-20-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Installer was responsible for the TV installation on the wall mount (they did it). I have not seen the 2nd bent TV, but I think I will forget this company and try to buy Q9F from different source.
Yes that sounds like a good call. Seems like they were trying to sell you a damaged set making it sound like it was supposed to be curved. Good luck!!
post #612 of 709 Old 06-21-2017, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Yes that sounds like a good call. Seems like they were trying to sell you a damaged set making it sound like it was supposed to be curved. Good luck!!
Thank You. So today I went to a big electronic store here in Poland (Media Markt - one of the largest electronic stores in East Europe) and guess what... The guy told me that he had one case of Q7F with exactly same problem - bent similiary to Q9F. Unfortunately no Q9F available in the store to check, however he promised to inpsect with me the Q9F if I decide to buy it from them. It is a x-files case....
post #613 of 709 Old 06-22-2017, 08:01 AM

Just curious when part 2 of the review will be out? Thanks
post #614 of 709 Old 06-22-2017, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Never, lol. Well, sorta. I already changed the title of "part 1" and got rid of the "part 1." Instead of a discrete second post, I will update the existing review.

I'm never promising a "part 2" again. That was a mistake, I admit it. I've spent the time the sequel would have taken to create tending to this discussion instead. That has included numerous updates including SDR calibration reports.

What am I waiting for now? HDR AutoCal is the main thing I'd like to see implemented before wrapping things up.
babator and mrtickleuk like this.

post #615 of 709 Old 06-22-2017, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked: 9139
So what comes 1st, Avatar 2 or review part 2
post #616 of 709 Old 06-22-2017, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
So what comes 1st, Avatar 2 or review part 2
It's all up to James Cameron now.

post #617 of 709 Old 06-22-2017, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked: 3004
Quote:
Never, lol. Well, sorta. I already changed the title of "part 1" and got rid of the "part 1." Instead of a discrete second post, I will update the existing review.

I'm never promising a "part 2" again. That was a mistake, I admit it. I've spent the time the sequel would have taken to create tending to this discussion instead.
"Progress is not expedited by frequent requests for progress reports" - a great line I read ages ago. The anecdote was a client kept hassling someone for updates.

(client, agitated) "How's project X coming along?"
(casually) "Oh, I've stopped working on that now."
(client, spluttering with shock and anger) "WHAAAT? Why?"
"Because I'm talking on the phone to you."
Rudy1 likes this.

Denon AVR-X4200W + Arcam Alpha 8P. A 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops. | Samsung 55KS7000 TV (EU/UK single-tuner version of KS8000) | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI-4K modes | 4K chroma test | Samsung 2016 TVs | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays
post #618 of 709 Old 06-22-2017, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 69
somebody in the owners thread posted a firmware update was released. Did that fix the vertical banding?
post #619 of 709 Old 06-22-2017, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
somebody in the owners thread posted a firmware update was released. Did that fix the vertical banding?
Inquiring (and otherwise) minds would like to know ...
post #620 of 709 Old 06-22-2017, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
I don't know what was in this update, but the banding was fixed on my panel with the previous firmware update from a couple weeks ago.
Rudy1 likes this.
post #621 of 709 Old 06-22-2017, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I wish I could afford the Q9... but going to settle for the 65" Q8C.

Ordering first thing tomorrow morning.

My 2017 favorite pastime of making sporadic trips to the local TV shops just to sit and drool at the QLEDs is finally over.

Picked up the new Samsung UBD-M9500 4K Blu Ray player, an Onkyo TX-NR777 receiver that supports HDR, and 2 Pair of Klipsch RP-280F floorstanding speakers to complement my other Klipsch Reference speakers. All in all I think my system will piece together rather nicely.

Can't wait to join club QLED!
Rudy1 likes this.
post #622 of 709 Old 06-22-2017, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Madden View Post
I wish I could afford the Q9... but going to settle for the 65" Q8C.
I bought a 65" Q7F near the end of February, and I'm quite happy with it. So maybe it won't be so bad. I just installed the most recent of several updates, 1121, and after some fine-tuning, it looks nice. My user adjustments are here: DirecTV settings on Samsung QLED 65Q7F
Rudy1 and Joseph Madden like this.

Greg Lee
post #623 of 709 Old 06-23-2017, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I bought a 65" Q7F near the end of February, and I'm quite happy with it. So maybe it won't be so bad...
Good to hear! I ordered the 65" Q8C today. Someone needs to make a Q7/Q8/Q9 thread.
post #624 of 709 Old 06-24-2017, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
I measured another Q7 today . Was a 65 inch and had Fa02 panel (looks like samsung made)
I got max 1815 nits in Dynamic mode and 1252 in movie mode.. Looks like the ones that don't get as bright are 55 inch or possible Non Samsung made panels.. This one was nice and uniform ... Those Harping on Banding yes it sucks but its defective and got through QC it does not reflect all Qleds. I have seen several and only 1 was horrible. This happens with all brands and electronics you will always get a Dud... Qled sets have really triggered people sheesh.
Player - where can you glean the panel type info? I helped a buddy go shopping for a new TV last week and he went with a Q7 - and we've already hung it on the wall. Looked in the service menu but wasn't able to determine the panel code.

I did see quite noticeable banding when we were in the initial setup screens (same as pic in post #214) - but haven't really been able to nail it down in any video content. Can you put a white .jpg up on the screen to additionally confirm whether it's a bad panel..or is there a better method? Want to make sure we get it back to BB within the 15-day return window, if it's indeed a defective panel....thanks -

UN65HU8550FXZA Golf/TS01
post #625 of 709 Old 06-24-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I'm never promising a "part 2" again. That was a mistake, I admit it. I've spent the time the sequel would have taken to create tending to this discussion instead. That has included numerous updates including SDR calibration reports.

What am I waiting for now? HDR AutoCal is the main thing I'd like to see implemented before wrapping things up.
I do apologize for being a part of the fiasco of bringing up some of the issues that weren't supposed to be part of this thread. I do thank you for your time and effort for addressing things that you didn't have to, I appreciate it.
Thank you,
Matt
post #626 of 709 Old 06-24-2017, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Thank You. So today I went to a big electronic store here in Poland (Media Markt - one of the largest electronic stores in East Europe) and guess what... The guy told me that he had one case of Q7F with exactly same problem - bent similiary to Q9F. Unfortunately no Q9F available in the store to check, however he promised to inpsect with me the Q9F if I decide to buy it from them. It is a x-files case....
A Samsung manufacturing quality control guy got moved from curved to flat models? "It's perfect!"
post #627 of 709 Old 06-24-2017, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Samsung can't win. If anyone else were to make an origami TV folded into the shape of a swan, they'd be praised for doing so.
post #628 of 709 Old 06-24-2017, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
I don't know what was in this update, but the banding was fixed on my panel with the previous firmware update from a couple weeks ago.
Perhaps i spoke too soon. I turned on my Q9 tonight and the banding was back. A 30 second power cycle took care of the issue as per usual, but I hope this problem isn't going to start rearing it's ugly head again. I thought we had this one licked.
post #629 of 709 Old 06-24-2017, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Is anyone thinking about getting the 75" version?
post #630 of 709 Old 06-25-2017, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattyman407 View Post
Is anyone thinking about getting the 75" version?
There has been a significant price drop on the 65" version...perhaps the 75" is soon to follow.

"I am not IN the business...I AM the business."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page