Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #1 of 91 Old 04-01-2017, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Lg sj8500 (No Price Talk)

Has anyone pre ordered this tv? Or have this tv.

Last edited by teachsac; 05-08-2017 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Price Talk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 Old 04-01-2017, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I'm interested in its performance, especially if the new Nano Cell layer can improve contrast on the IPS panels. What TV are you coming from and why did you decide on this model?

Setups:
Spoiler!
post #3 of 91 Old 04-01-2017, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I've had all kinds of Samsung tvs but they were 1080p my parents has the Samsung 6300. They seem ok. I chose the lg cause of the ips panel. I played a lot of pc games and my monitor is ips. I never liked the va panels for monitors cause of high input lag but I'm sure they are better on tvs.
I'm also thinking since the new asus monitor 4k pg27uq has an ips panel that will be getting over 1000 nits. If those ips panels can do that I don't see why the lg can't. Also without 3D that automatically makes it brighter

post #4 of 91 Old 07-11-2017, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm curious what people can tell me about the LG SJ8500, beyond what the Rtings review has said for it?

I'm looking to get something after my KS8000 was junked out due to some issues with it.

I'd love to get an OLED, and I may still find that I can afford to get one, but as of right now I'm not banking on that happening, so I'm looking at this model. I know the Rtings review wasn't kind to its black or gray uniformity, nor it's local dimming feature. If I were to get this TV, it would be our living room TV, and we never watch anything in complete darkness. We either have natural light coming in from our patio blinds (and some from our dining room window blinds--it's kind of a small apartment, so those have some impact), and at night we have light provided by a Phillips Hue lightbulb on our end table lamp.

I know that I can't get the great picture detail that an OLED gives with this model, but I've read that it supports 4 different HDR techs (HDR10, DV, HLG, and Technicolor HDR)--which seems like it would be sort of "future proofed", and it is one of LG's Super UHD TV's, which according to Vudumeans that the native Vudu App supports 4K HDR and Dolby Vision (because I do have some titles redeemed in UHD on Vudu).

So if anyone has one, or has a friend who has one, can you share some thoughts with me? What settings would be best to maximize the PQ, how do you like it, etc.

Thanks!
post #5 of 91 Old 07-11-2017, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Ha!

Debating on the 65 inch of the 8500 or the 55 inch of the OLED. I saw them both side by side and I didn't really think there was a HUGE difference in them even though the OLED is obviously better to a degree but I don't think for double the cost.
post #6 of 91 Old 07-11-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srpawski View Post
Ha!

Debating on the 65 inch of the 8500 or the 55 inch of the OLED. I saw them both side by side and I didn't really think there was a HUGE difference in them even though the OLED is obviously better to a degree but I don't think for double the cost.
Well, it'd be the 55 inch, as I don't think with the size (or lack thereof) of my apartment, a 65 inch would prove to be *too* big.
post #7 of 91 Old 07-11-2017, 02:54 PM

I'm running a 60 inch Samsung 6350 from going on 3 years ago. I could go up a bit or down a bit in size. Where its at in my basement I could actually run with the 75 inch, however, I think thats way overkill because in the future I would either revert to a 65 or 55 inch then I would be disappointed. I haven't ruled 55 inch out but I would prefer to go with a 65. I know I am not paying for a 65 OLED.
post #8 of 91 Old 07-15-2017, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I just ordered the 55SJ8500 today to replace an 8 year old 1080p 46 inch LCD. I am expecting a nice upgrade in picture and looking forward to the delivery. I did a lot of research on ratings and all seem to be good on this set. Did not want to layout the big bucks on an OLED so this was my next choice. Would like to hear from others who have the SJ8500 on settings etc.
post #9 of 91 Old 07-15-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcman304 View Post
I just ordered the 55SJ8500 today to replace an 8 year old 1080p 46 inch LCD. I am expecting a nice upgrade in picture and looking forward to the delivery. I did a lot of research on ratings and all seem to be good on this set. Did not want to layout the big bucks on an OLED so this was my next choice. Would like to hear from others who have the SJ8500 on settings etc.
By all means once you get it and get it set up let us know how you like it. I am thinking very strongly on the 65 inch version of the 8500.
post #10 of 91 Old 07-16-2017, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I picked up a 65SJ8500 about 3 weeks ago when Fry's was blowing them out under a grand. The picture is very good - not perfect, but very good. There is some vertical banding when panning across light colors like light blue skys or the green in golf courses. Looks like a dirty streak down the screen. But, most TV shows that I watch - News, sitcoms, movies look fine and you won't see the stripes. The HDR (2017 model has active HDR) and Dolby Vision are great on Netflix and Amazon. It also has HLG HDR but there's only demos on Youtube that has any content right now. LG is also promising Technicolor HDR later this year in a firmware update. Upconversion of HD from Dish Net is excellent and crisp.

My reasoning for buying this set:
1. A lot of new picture standard are coming out now with different HDR modes. This TV has them all.
2. Nano cell technology - 2017 model, better than the Costco or Sam's 2016 versions that were the same price.
3. Great off angle viewing. I don't sit directly in front of the TV, but I'm off to the side. Very slight loss in picture opposed to directly in front.
4. OLED is still too high in price. This TV can cover me until the OLED prices come down and the picture standards settle down. Then in a few years this can be moved to another room.
5. All TV's have issues - just read through any forum, everyone complains about something on every TV, OLED or not.
6. I think it's better than my 7 y/o LG plasma that recently died.
7. Magic Remote can control my TV, Volume thru my Onkyo receiver, and my Dish Hopper 3.

I think of TVs today like iPhones, next year is going to be better and cheaper. Each year I get a new iPhone to get a better camera or more memory. With at least all of the new standards already built in to this TV I shouldn't have to update for 3-4 years.

You will need to settle with any TV out there now. You just need to pick your poison.
PlanetAVS, srpawski and Iknowaguy like this.
post #11 of 91 Old 07-16-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenInAtl View Post
I picked up a 65SJ8500 about 3 weeks ago when Fry's was blowing them out under a grand. The picture is very good - not perfect, but very good. There is some vertical banding when panning across light colors like light blue skys or the green in golf courses. Looks like a dirty streak down the screen. But, most TV shows that I watch - News, sitcoms, movies look fine and you won't see the stripes. The HDR (2017 model has active HDR) and Dolby Vision are great on Netflix and Amazon. It also has HLG HDR but there's only demos on Youtube that has any content right now. LG is also promising Technicolor HDR later this year in a firmware update. Upconversion of HD from Dish Net is excellent and crisp.

My reasoning for buying this set:
1. A lot of new picture standard are coming out now with different HDR modes. This TV has them all.
2. Nano cell technology - 2017 model, better than the Costco or Sam's 2016 versions that were the same price.
3. Great off angle viewing. I don't sit directly in front of the TV, but I'm off to the side. Very slight loss in picture opposed to directly in front.
4. OLED is still too high in price. This TV can cover me until the OLED prices come down and the picture standards settle down. Then in a few years this can be moved to another room.
5. All TV's have issues - just read through any forum, everyone complains about something on every TV, OLED or not.
6. I think it's better than my 7 y/o LG plasma that recently died.
7. Magic Remote can control my TV, Volume thru my Onkyo receiver, and my Dish Hopper 3.

I think of TVs today like iPhones, next year is going to be better and cheaper. Each year I get a new iPhone to get a better camera or more memory. With at least all of the new standards already built in to this TV I shouldn't have to update for 3-4 years.

You will need to settle with any TV out there now. You just need to pick your poison.
Thanks for your input.

Can't seem to find any reviews on this line. Maybe because it is so new yet, I don't know. I think unless someone is looking at LG OLED sets people either aren't buying anything else LG makes or don't care to talk about them. LG must sell other non-OLED sets or they wouldn't make them and as many of them as they do. There isn't even a dedicated AVS forum owners thread yet for this line.

I am leaning against OLED for the same reasons you stated. I like them, they are nice don't get me wrong, but the price and the tech just isn't there quite yet. I think if a non-OLED set isn't sitting right next to an OLED you aren't going to miss much of what the LED isn't giving.
post #12 of 91 Old 07-16-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
By all means once you get it and get it set up let us know how you like it. I am thinking very strongly on the 65 inch version of the 8500.
I expect to have mine sometime around 26 July and will post my observations after I have used it for a bit.
post #13 of 91 Old 07-16-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your input.

Can't seem to find any reviews on this line. Maybe because it is so new yet, I don't know. I think unless someone is looking at LG OLED sets people either aren't buying anything else LG makes or don't care to talk about them. LG must sell other non-OLED sets or they wouldn't make them and as many of them as they do. There isn't even a dedicated AVS forum owners thread yet for this line.

I am leaning against OLED for the same reasons you stated. I like them, they are nice don't get me wrong, but the price and the tech just isn't there quite yet. I think if a non-OLED set isn't sitting right next to an OLED you aren't going to miss much of what the LED isn't giving.
Yes, it would be nice to see an owners thread on this model. I've sort of winged it on my settings and they are pretty good. I'm currently watching the Game of Thrones marathon on HBO. Plenty of dark scenes and if I'm missing something, I don't know what it is. Dark shadows are there, faces are as good as my (now dead) plasma, lighting of the scenes if fine. If there's a flaw I don't know what it is, so I can't complain.

Consumer Reports did a (I'd say non-technical) review and gave it a recommended buy and a score of 77. LG OLED was the best and scored in the high 80's.

Another thing that's nice (and other TV's might also now do this) is that it passes the Dolby Digital audio back to my old receiver (pre-HDMI). So it let's me use the WebOS versions of Amazon Video and Netflix and send their surround audio back to my receiver. My old plasma only returned PCM, so it was basically useless.

If you get one, I'd be interested in your settings.
post #14 of 91 Old 07-16-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, it would be nice to see an owners thread on this model. I've sort of winged it on my settings and they are pretty good. I'm currently watching the Game of Thrones marathon on HBO. Plenty of dark scenes and if I'm missing something, I don't know what it is. Dark shadows are there, faces are as good as my (now dead) plasma, lighting of the scenes if fine. If there's a flaw I don't know what it is, so I can't complain.

Consumer Reports did a (I'd say non-technical) review and gave it a recommended buy and a score of 77. LG OLED was the best and scored in the high 80's.

Another thing that's nice (and other TV's might also now do this) is that it passes the Dolby Digital audio back to my old receiver (pre-HDMI). So it let's me use the WebOS versions of Amazon Video and Netflix and send their surround audio back to my receiver. My old plasma only returned PCM, so it was basically useless.

If you get one, I'd be interested in your settings.

Thats good to hear especially since you are coming from a plasma. Most everything has the HDMI ARC return built in. It was part of one of the older HDMI standards from 3 or 4 years ago. It is definitely a nice feature. I have standard definition cable so I sill need to use a optical cable to get the sound back to my receiver when I am watching TV. Technically, where this is going, I have an antenna hooked up, so even at that I will need the optical in order to get TV source sound back to the receiver. TV itself I rarely watch and I don't watch sports so I don't pay anymore for cable than I need to.

It's on sale this week so I am seriously considering it. I have not also yet ruled out the 75 inch J8570, also on sale this week. I have seen that next to the OLEDs like I was saying earlier and man that thing looks good. I believe its the same as the 8500 panels minus the nano cell. Spec wise, its identical other than that, and other than better contrast for viewing angle, I have to believe its pretty comparable. I'm afraid if I went with a set that large I would forever be disappointed if I didn't stick with that size. This is going in a walkout basement on the side opposite the walk out where the viewing will be mostly dark without window light glare.

I'll definitely let you know what/if I end up doing.
post #15 of 91 Old 07-19-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Thats good to hear especially since you are coming from a plasma. Most everything has the HDMI ARC return built in. It was part of one of the older HDMI standards from 3 or 4 years ago. It is definitely a nice feature. I have standard definition cable so I sill need to use a optical cable to get the sound back to my receiver when I am watching TV. Technically, where this is going, I have an antenna hooked up, so even at that I will need the optical in order to get TV source sound back to the receiver. TV itself I rarely watch and I don't watch sports so I don't pay anymore for cable than I need to.

It's on sale this week so I am seriously considering it. I have not also yet ruled out the 75 inch J8570, also on sale this week. I have seen that next to the OLEDs like I was saying earlier and man that thing looks good. I believe its the same as the 8500 panels minus the nano cell. Spec wise, its identical other than that, and other than better contrast for viewing angle, I have to believe its pretty comparable. I'm afraid if I went with a set that large I would forever be disappointed if I didn't stick with that size. This is going in a walkout basement on the side opposite the walk out where the viewing will be mostly dark without window light glare.

I'll definitely let you know what/if I end up doing.
So, as you know srpawski, I bought the 55 inch model of the SJ8500. Overall, I am happy with it. I say "overall" because I think I'm still searching for the right picture settings to get the most out of the HDR and whatnot.

However, I LOVE WebOS! I thought there would be a problem with the Magic Remote and the cats we have, as they see a cursor on the screen and think it's a toy, but the ease of which you can just turn off the cursor is great. On top of that, I absolutely LOVE the native Vudu app. Once I got my first settings all set, I popped on The LEGO Batman Movie, as it had Dolby Vision as part of the UHD features, and it looked incredible. I've since tried some Netflix shows that say they offer Dolby Vision, and I'm not exactly getting as much of a "pop" in the picture, but again, I suspect that is more to do w/ the PQ settings I have, and therefore I need to tinker some more.

But, like I said, overall I love it. The TV and Magic Remote paired quite seamlessly to my Samsung soundbar, and the remote controls the volume on it so well (call me crazy, but somehow I think the soundbar sounds better hooked up to the SJ8500 than it did to my previous Samsung KS8000).
srpawski likes this.
post #16 of 91 Old 07-19-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelledison View Post
So, as you know srpawski, I bought the 55 inch model of the SJ8500. Overall, I am happy with it. I say "overall" because I think I'm still searching for the right picture settings to get the most out of the HDR and whatnot.

However, I LOVE WebOS! I thought there would be a problem with the Magic Remote and the cats we have, as they see a cursor on the screen and think it's a toy, but the ease of which you can just turn off the cursor is great. On top of that, I absolutely LOVE the native Vudu app. Once I got my first settings all set, I popped on The LEGO Batman Movie, as it had Dolby Vision as part of the UHD features, and it looked incredible. I've since tried some Netflix shows that say they offer Dolby Vision, and I'm not exactly getting as much of a "pop" in the picture, but again, I suspect that is more to do w/ the PQ settings I have, and therefore I need to tinker some more.

But, like I said, overall I love it. The TV and Magic Remote paired quite seamlessly to my Samsung soundbar, and the remote controls the volume on it so well (call me crazy, but somehow I think the soundbar sounds better hooked up to the SJ8500 than it did to my previous Samsung KS8000).

That's good to hear. I really appreciate you posting your thoughts on this set after you have had a chance to watch it for a few days. I am still thinking heavily about the 65 inch version of the set. I have read many reviews that the out of box factory picture settings are not that impressive will virtually all models of the LG sets and need considerable adjusting before finding the better looking settings.

Do you know if the set has Bluetooth like the OLEDS have? I haven't saw on the spec sheet that they do or don't.
post #17 of 91 Old 07-19-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
That's good to hear. I really appreciate you posting your thoughts on this set after you have had a chance to watch it for a few days. I am still thinking heavily about the 65 inch version of the set. I have read many reviews that the out of box factory picture settings are not that impressive will virtually all models of the LG sets and need considerable adjusting before finding the better looking settings.

Do you know if the set has Bluetooth like the OLEDS have? I haven't saw on the spec sheet that they do or don't.
Off the top of my head I do not know (and I'm at work so I can't go look at it). Bluetooth isn't a feature I use a whole lot w/ my home theater equipment, so I've never paid attention as to whether or not they have it.

Yeah, I read the same things with regard to the PQ settings out of the box. I didn't think mine were really all that bad, but I have tinkered. I've used the calibration settings found on Rtings, I've used the settings that were found in a thread on here (can't remember which one off the top of my head, I think it was a thread on the 75 inch SJ8570) and none of those were "bad", but my personal opinion has me still wanting to tinker and search to see if I can find any better. I feel like certain things aren't displaying as well as they can during dark images and whatnot. But, it's not a deterrent for me, I just need to find the time to sit down, run a test, tinker, run the test again, and continue from there.

If I had the money, I might've seriously considered the 65 inch model of this TV, or perhaps the SJ9500, but regardless, I think the SJ8500 series is pretty good (whether one goes w/ 55 inch or 65 inch), and I'm happy with it, I think you will be too (and hey, Best Buy just marked the 65 inch down to $1599.99).
post #18 of 91 Old 07-19-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelledison View Post
Off the top of my head I do not know (and I'm at work so I can't go look at it). Bluetooth isn't a feature I use a whole lot w/ my home theater equipment, so I've never paid attention as to whether or not they have it.

Yeah, I read the same things with regard to the PQ settings out of the box. I didn't think mine were really all that bad, but I have tinkered. I've used the calibration settings found on Rtings, I've used the settings that were found in a thread on here (can't remember which one off the top of my head, I think it was a thread on the 75 inch SJ8570) and none of those were "bad", but my personal opinion has me still wanting to tinker and search to see if I can find any better. I feel like certain things aren't displaying as well as they can during dark images and whatnot. But, it's not a deterrent for me, I just need to find the time to sit down, run a test, tinker, run the test again, and continue from there.

If I had the money, I might've seriously considered the 65 inch model of this TV, or perhaps the SJ9500, but regardless, I think the SJ8500 series is pretty good (whether one goes w/ 55 inch or 65 inch), and I'm happy with it, I think you will be too (and hey, Best Buy just marked the 65 inch down to $1599.99).

The only thing I was wondering about Bluetooth for was for headphones. I don't have a pair but would consider getting one if it has blue tooth. Then again, I could just plug into my AVR and call it good. Not like with exercising I need Bluetooth ones since I would be stationary while watching. I have a 2.4 GHZ keyboard and mouse USB set already I can plug into one of the USB ports on the set.

I'm by all means not a video officianoto. I am more into audio than I am video. I can't imagine I wouldn't be happy with it as I have yet to buy a flat screen that I haven't liked, and frankly, all the sets I have bought in the past have been lower end series Samsung sets, so this ought to be a couple tiers up from those since the only thing LG has better than this series is really the OLED sets if you don't count the bit fancier styling of the 9500 panels and the fact that they are a true 10 bit panel.
post #19 of 91 Old 07-19-2017, 03:56 PM

I just took delivery of my 55SJ8500 today and just finished mounting it on the wall and updating the firmware. Still playing with the settings and will use it for a bit before I probably settle in but as of now we are using the APS in the picture settings and left all the other settings alone except to turn off the energy saving feature. The room we have the TV in gets a lot of outside light during the day but can be dark or bright at night depending on how many lights we turn on so not sure the best setting. As to our initial impressions of the TV -- we are very impressed with the picture quality and all of the nice features as this TV replaced a 46 inch Samsung LCD that was a 2009 model TV. Would be interested to hear others who have this TV on what settings you settled on.
srpawski likes this.
post #20 of 91 Old 07-19-2017, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
The only thing I was wondering about Bluetooth for was for headphones. I don't have a pair but would consider getting one if it has blue tooth. Then again, I could just plug into my AVR and call it good. Not like with exercising I need Bluetooth ones since I would be stationary while watching. I have a 2.4 GHZ keyboard and mouse USB set already I can plug into one of the USB ports on the set.

I'm by all means not a video officianoto. I am more into audio than I am video. I can't imagine I wouldn't be happy with it as I have yet to buy a flat screen that I haven't liked, and frankly, all the sets I have bought in the past have been lower end series Samsung sets, so this ought to be a couple tiers up from those since the only thing LG has better than this series is really the OLED sets if you don't count the bit fancier styling of the 9500 panels and the fact that they are a true 10 bit panel.

I was really leaning toward picking up the 8500 model, but what would the biggest difference be between that and the 9500? Is it really worth it for the extra you'd pay?
post #21 of 91 Old 07-20-2017, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rodriguez View Post
I was really leaning toward picking up the 8500 model, but what would the biggest difference be between that and the 9500? Is it really worth it for the extra you'd pay?

No, I don't think so anyway. The only thing I have been able to find is that they specifically say in the specs is that its a true 10 bit panel and I guess the bezel style of the frame is different, its more "elegant". I did a chat with Crutchfield and had them tell me the difference and the two different reps I did it with couldn't find much else other than that, but they also stated that the 8500 was also a 10 bit panel, just not bullet-pointed in the LG spec sheet. They have the same back panel layout and the rest of the specs are identical. I plan to stick with the 8500. I could fit a 75 inch SJ8570, which is also identical minus the nano cell, apparently they figure it doesn't need it since with a panel that large you really won't be doing any off axis viewing so the better angle contrast the 8500 with nano cell brings to the table isn't necessary, but I don't know if I want to spend the extra over the 65 inch and also become accustomed to a screen that large. I would be very happy with the 65. I have a 60 inch low level Samsung now it would be replacing.

I saw the SJ8570 a couple weeks back next to the 2017 OLEDS and it was gorgeous. I couldn't tell that big of a difference in order to pay more than double for a 65 inch OLED over the 65 inch 8500. I should be able to see that and the 65 inch 8500 Saturday as both are supposedly on display at one of my local BB.
post #22 of 91 Old 07-20-2017, 02:05 AM

Quote:
I just took delivery of my 55SJ8500 today and just finished mounting it on the wall and updating the firmware. Still playing with the settings and will use it for a bit before I probably settle in but as of now we are using the APS in the picture settings and left all the other settings alone except to turn off the energy saving feature. The room we have the TV in gets a lot of outside light during the day but can be dark or bright at night depending on how many lights we turn on so not sure the best setting. As to our initial impressions of the TV -- we are very impressed with the picture quality and all of the nice features as this TV replaced a 46 inch Samsung LCD that was a 2009 model TV. Would be interested to hear others who have this TV on what settings you settled on.
I'm glad to hear you are happy with your set.
post #23 of 91 Old 07-20-2017, 04:51 PM

I wanted to share my setting that I have found worked nicely for my "regular" tv watching. That is - Dish Network's HD (720p) signal. I do still need to play with the HDR and DV settings - also note that the DV setting is pre-set by LG at 50% backlight - so it does need some tweaking to get the pop that you're looking for.

So here's what I've been using - remember you can always reset it if you don't like it.

Picture Mode = HDR Effect - then below that I have Strong set.

Aspect = Original
Energy = Off
Eye = Off

Next Menu -

Backlight = 100
Contrast = 100
Bright = 50
Sharp = 10
Color = 40
Tint = 0
Color Temp = W20

Advanced -
Dynamic Contrast is grayed out, but set to Off
Dyn Color = Medium
Preferred Color = All set to 0
Color Gamut = Extended
Super = medium
Gamma - Grayed out set to Medium

Picture Mode -
Noise = Low
Mpeg = Low
Black = Low
Real Cinema = On
Morion Eye = Off
Local Dim = Medium
True Motion = Clear

Then I applied these settings to all inputs.

As best as I can remember this picture is similar to my dead plasma. I see my blacks on this set as blacker than my plasma (I know, everyone says it can't be, but to my eyes it is). Watching shows like Fargo, or Strain, Preacher, or the New Snowfall (excellent show,btw) I have no issues what so ever - my colors are nicely saturated, picture is clear/clean, colors just look right. I compare this to a cheap LCD which gives everything a blue haze (which is what drove me crazy with LCD sets) and I really think this TV performs well and doesn't have the haze. The other set I was seriously thinking about was the Sony 65/900E. It had a great picture but no Dolby Vision or anything other than HDR10 - I know I'd want something with the new modes in a short time - and it was 2x the price. I'd rather replace a 1k tv in a few years than a 2k tv.

9500 series vs 8500 = on LG website someone asked that question - LG responded that 8500 is 8 bit, 9500 is 10 bit. I asked about the highly touted at CES '17 Technicolor HDR mode and it looks like an update to the firmware will be coming to add it.

Post your settings if you try mine and you have tweaked yours and it looks better. I'm sure there are better settings for this TV out there!

Oh, one more thing. Try different channels and TV shows. It's not always your setting that aren't good - sometimes it's the TV show and don't ever go by commercials to judge anything, they vary wildly between light and dark and off colors - Judge Judy (LOL) and her audience is a good example of seeing skin colors.
srpawski likes this.

Last edited by KenInAtl; 07-20-2017 at 04:55 PM.
post #24 of 91 Old 07-20-2017, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
I

9500 series vs 8500 = on LG website someone asked that question - LG responded that 8500 is 8 bit, 9500 is 10 bit. I asked about the highly touted at CES '17 Technicolor HDR mode and it looks like an update to the firmware will be coming to add it.
Someone is wrong here, look at the link below. normally RTINGS.com are very accurate.
Look at.Color depth: 10 bit
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/sj8500

Main Room Sony KD-75X9400E Display, AMP. Yamaha RX-A3050. Front Mains, 2x Dali Concept 8. Klipsch Center, 1X Dali Concept Center. Surround and Rear Surrounds, 4X Dali Ikon 1. Ceiling 4X B&W CCM 382. Subs, 2x Kef C200 for the rear and 2X Kenwood SW-07HT for the fronts. Lounge Shakers, Dayton Audio SA 230 Sub Amp with 4 AST-2B-4 lounge Shakers. The other Tv room the Hecto live there the Hecto 100 inch Short throw projector,
post #25 of 91 Old 07-21-2017, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Someone is wrong here, look at the link below. normally RTINGS.com are very accurate.
Look at.Color depth: 10 bit
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/sj8500
From LG's website and answered by LGJoel an LG employee.

Mike dee
· 11 days ago
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE 8500 AND 9500?
answer
Answer this Question

LGJoel
· 11 days ago
Other than having a thinner design, the LG SUPER UHD 4K HDR Smart LED TV w/ Nano Cell™ Display, SJ9500 series TVs are 10-bit panels and the SJ8500 series TVs are 8-bit + FRC )Frame Rate Control) panels...^IFV

On rtings -

Color Depth
: 10 Bit
The SJ8500 perform well in our gradient test and no banding that is normally seen on an 8-bit panel can be noticed here.

HOWEVER, they also say this to explain this rating -

What it is: Number of bits per pixel to represent a specific color. Note: we consider 8-bit with dithering to be equivalent to 10-bit, as long as the 10-bit gradient looks smooth.[/COLOR]

So, I would read this into rtings evaluation, that it has a 10-bit color depth (as they say), but they don't say it's a 10 bit panel.
Blackman likes this.
post #26 of 91 Old 07-21-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
From LG's website and answered by LGJoel an LG employee.

Mike dee
· 11 days ago
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE 8500 AND 9500?
answer
Answer this Question

LGJoel
· 11 days ago
Other than having a thinner design, the LG SUPER UHD 4K HDR Smart LED TV w/ Nano Cell™ Display, SJ9500 series TVs are 10-bit panels and the SJ8500 series TVs are 8-bit + FRC )Frame Rate Control) panels...^IFV

On rtings -

Color Depth
: 10 Bit
The SJ8500 perform well in our gradient test and no banding that is normally seen on an 8-bit panel can be noticed here.

HOWEVER, they also say this to explain this rating -

What it is: Number of bits per pixel to represent a specific color. Note: we consider 8-bit with dithering to be equivalent to 10-bit, as long as the 10-bit gradient looks smooth.[/COLOR]

So, I would read this into rtings evaluation, that it has a 10-bit color depth (as they say), but they don't say it's a 10 bit panel.

I would say you are right. I was hesitant to believe what I was told that it was 10 bit when in the literature no where specifically does it say it is on the 8500 whereas it does on the 9500.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the 65 inch 8500 with the 9500? There is $600 difference in price. I would be curious to see if it is worth the difference. I don't think there would be that noticeable of a difference in PQ between the two.

It seems like at least 2 or 3 people on this thread are happy with their 8500s which is good to see. I am still debating between the 65 inch 8500 and the 75 inch 8570 which other than not having nano cell on the 75 inch are the same 8 bit panel and the rest of the features are the same.

EDIT - I look again and it seems conflicting. Crutchfield states the 8570 75 inch is a true 10 bit panel. LG, meanwhile or anywhere else, states if it is or it isn't, however, Crutchfield also confirms what RTINGS states in that the 8500 series is an 8 bit panel enhanced to 10 bit depth with dithering.

I sure wished I knew for certain whether or not the 8570 was in fact a true 10 bit panel over the 8 bit on the 8500.

Last edited by srpawski; 07-21-2017 at 05:19 AM. Reason: clarification
post #27 of 91 Old 07-22-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
The only thing I was wondering about Bluetooth for was for headphones. I don't have a pair but would consider getting one if it has blue tooth. .
I had the same question and could not find anything about connecting Bluetooth headphones to my new 55SJ8500 so I called LG and spoke to a representative and they confirmed that yes this TV will connect to Bluetooth headphones. Like you, I do not have the headphones yet so I have not tried it out but the representative gave me the following directions to set it up:

"Under sounds settings look for sound out and select wireless sound sync"

Sounds easy so I will probably be buying some headphones in the next few weeks and will try it out. Hope this helps.
post #28 of 91 Old 07-22-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I had the same question and could not find anything about connecting Bluetooth headphones to my new 55SJ8500 so I called LG and spoke to a representative and they confirmed that yes this TV will connect to Bluetooth headphones. Like you, I do not have the headphones yet so I have not tried it out but the representative gave me the following directions to set it up:

"Under sounds settings look for sound out and select wireless sound sync"

Sounds easy so I will probably be buying some headphones in the next few weeks and will try it out. Hope this helps.
Cool. Thanks for the tip. Hopefully they were right and that's not the way to enable a wireless LG soundbar to connect to the television similar to how Samsung Connect enabling is the way to get their wireless soundbars and wireless speakers to connect to some of their sets.
post #29 of 91 Old 07-22-2017, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just got the LG 65SJ8500 a week ago. Must say i am impressed. I thought the hype about HDR/Nano cell was just BS but i love the picture, better than my 3 year old LG UH9800. Having only 1 remote instead of 2 takes a while to get used to but will probably be better in the long run. We would all like OLEDs but at half the price this is nearly as good. Watching all my old favourite movies again and they seem much more vibrant.

Anyone know where i can get an owners manual in English (i am in Thailand). I got a user manual from the LG website but it just covers the set up not the features of the TV and how to use them.
post #30 of 91 Old 07-23-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2004 View Post
Just got the LG 65SJ8500 a week ago. Must say i am impressed. I thought the hype about HDR/Nano cell was just BS but i love the picture, better than my 3 year old LG UH9800. Having only 1 remote instead of 2 takes a while to get used to but will probably be better in the long run. We would all like OLEDs but at half the price this is nearly as good. Watching all my old favourite movies again and they seem much more vibrant.

Anyone know where i can get an owners manual in English (i am in Thailand). I got a user manual from the LG website but it just covers the set up not the features of the TV and how to use them.
On the owners manual -- it is available on the LG website (see url below).

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-65SJ8500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page