AVS Forum banner

Official 65q9f owners thread (No Price Talk)

38K views 374 replies 57 participants last post by  MorganB 
#1 · (Edited)
Official 2017 Samsung QNA65Q9F owners thread (No Price Talk)

Hey guys just got my q9 thought I'd share some out of box photos most were before light sensor was turned off or hdr enable will upload some more but so far really liking how smooth the tv runs and picture

#3 ·
You can either use the uploader, copy the image URL (making sure it's the .jpg link) and use the "insert image" feature, type out
around each image, or you can PM me and I can help.

#7 ·
So far picture quality is great menus are fast and responsive had a day one update as well but super zippy. I have owned the ju7100 55 and 65ks9000 65ks9500 and 65ks9800 in 4K and so far this has been the best picture the black Leyte bars are great in uhd pitchblack to me as long as it's not in vivid mode with all sensors off. And off angle is great as well I uploaded several pictures via photo bucket

#8 ·
Congrats! I am very interested in the Q9. But @ 75" Would love to hear pro/cons vs other sets you have.

#11 ·
Nice, congrats! I think this tv seems awesome in color and brightness and was kind of sick of hearing about the top oleds and z9d vs this set in some of the other threads:)(all are nice, the q9f is nice too!) Great to hear about the light bleed being a non issue...can you tell the color volume/saturation is way above the other KS sets you've owned, or is it more subtle?

#19 ·
Hey guys just got my q9 thought I'd share some out of box photos most were before light sensor was turned off or hdr enable will upload some more but so far really liking how smooth the tv runs and picture
Friendly suggestion, if you can, retitle the thread to add the words '2017 Samsung' 65q9f...

#20 ·
I know there was none in the picture I showed but the color bands are yet just another example of how can this be a flagship ? I can tho tell you it has flashlight issues tho.

The color is fantastic the voice commands are great and the Auto Calabration is going to be sweet but for me I can't Handel the other issues the set has.

Asab

#26 · (Edited)
SPECIFICATIONS FOR THE 65" AND 75" MODELS

LINK TO OWNER'S MANUAL & FIRMWARE DOWNLOADS:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2017-qled-tv-q9f-series

• Ultra High Definition TV with 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
• Motion Rate 240 blur reduction (effective 120Hz refresh rate)
• Samsung QLED technologies:
o 4K Color Drive Elite quantum dot technology for increased color range and brightness
o 4K HDR Elite+ with Infinity Array for extended picture contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content
(HDR 10 available from TV's apps as well as connected sources; HLG and HDR 10+ compatible with content streamed from TV’s built-in apps)
o LED edge backlight with Peak Illuminator Pro for enhanced brightness
o HDR 2000 (peak brightness is 2000 nits)
o 3-layer anti-glare film enhances contrast and reduces screen reflections
• Supreme UHD panel dimming, plus Precision Black Pro local dimming with 2.6X the dimming zones for superb contrast and black levels
• 10-bit panel can display over one billion colors
Video Source Compatibility:
• Watch streamed 4K video sources like Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, Vudu, Fandango Now, UltraFlix, and YouTube (requires Internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
• DIRECTV 4K Ready — DIRECTV subscribers with the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR can enjoy 4K service and full DVR features without an additional receiver
• Tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
• Clear QAM tuner decodes unencrypted digital cable signals up to 1080i without a set-top box (subscription required to receive cable channels)
Smart TV Features:
• Dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi® provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
• Netflix Recommended TV — offers a unique feature set that makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy
• Video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
• TV-to-mobile and mobile-to-TV wireless mirroring
• Free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android™ let you use a compatible smartphone or tablet as a remote control
Connections (on One Connect Hub):
• 4 HDMI 2.0a
o All inputs are HDCP 2.2 compatible for connecting to 4K video sources
o To view 4K and HDR content from connected sources, use a compatible high-bandwidth HDMI cable
• Optical digital audio output can pass Dolby® Digital, DTS, and Dolby® Digital Plus multichannel or 2-channel audio from connected sources;Dolby® Digital Plus ATMOS
available via HDMI/ARC
• Ethernet port for a fast, reliable wired network connection
• 3 USB inputs for connecting a camera or thumb drive
• RF input for antenna/cable signals
• One Connect Hub dimensions: 14-1/4"W x 1-5/16"H x 6-5/8"D (depth includes connector)
• Includes 16-1/2-ft. ultra-thin proprietary cable to connect hub to TV (49-ft. cable available from Samsung)
General Features:
• Built-in 4.2-channel speaker system (60 watts total power)
• Bluetooth® wireless audio streaming to a compatible speaker or set of headphones
• Metal OneRemote with built-in microphone for voice control
• Cable management: back of TV and pedestal base provide channels for neatly routing cables to the TV
• Wall-mountable (bracket not included; Samsung's No Gap Wall Mount is recommended)

Detachable stand (stand "footprint" on 75” model is 57-1/8"W x 12-13/16"D; stand “footprint” on 65” model is 38-1/2"W x 12-1/8"D)
75” model measures 65-15/16"W x 37-13/16"H x 1"D (39-1/4"H x 12-13/16"D on stand)
65” model measures 57-1/8"W x 32-11/16"H x 1-1/16"D (33-15/16"H x 12-1/8"D on stand)
75” model weighs 94.4 lbs. with stand; 91.9 lbs. without stand; 65” model weighs 66.1 lbs. with stand; 64.2 lbs. without stand

LINK TO REVIEW BY MARK HENNINGER:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2801313-samsung-qn65q9f-65-qled-lcd-tv-review-part-1-a.html

#34 ·
AUDIO CAPABILITIES

I spent a little time earlier testing the audio capabilities, using Toslink as well as HDMI/ARC connections. As expected, the HDMI/ARC connection allowed for the Dolby Digital Plus version of ATMOS from Vudu (via a Roku Premiere Plus) to be passed to the AVR. This bodes well for owners of the Chromecast Ultra which, as confirmed by Musician on another thread, is designed to work best when connected directly to your display. I was a bit surprised, however, to find that the Toslink connection to my Denon AVR allowed for the selection of Dolby Digital Plus in the TV's SOUND menu. All devices I tested which can access Amazon Video, Vudu, Netflix, etc., were able to pass this signal through the OCB to the AVR; unfortunately, I was not able to get this to work for the Smart Hub apps.

#35 ·
Took the plunge yesterday and picked one up at Best Buy. Its my first premium panel having always purchased midrange LCD models before. Its a huge upgrade to my two year old 55" Samsung. I will admit I bought this TV as much for its form factor as anything else. I plan to wall mount it once the bracket is released.

Attachments

#44 ·
The viewing angles increase with more saturated colors. This needs to be mentioned often. With sdr at 100 nits, the viewing angles will be the same as other lcd tvs with a VA panel. The qled tvs I see at best buy have better viewing angles than other tvs with HDR content for sure.

#46 ·
Netflix, YouTube, and Amazon are HDR-enabled and look great; HLG videos via USB played back in HDR as well. Apps launch quickly and like the previous version of the OS you can go instantly to where you left off, simply from the TV's launch screen. Vudu is still not UHD-enabled, but Atmos works just fine. I haven't been able to get the OCB to pass DDPlus via optical to the AVR, but it works when using HDMI/ARC. Pandora is very stable, but is lacking the BOOKMARK and the discrete EXIT buttons. Broadcast TV looks clean with very natural skin tones (I've met some of the local news anchors, so I know what they actually look like). I didn't notice any banding with HDR but then again that sort of thing may vary by content.

#47 ·
4 days since the last post in here, either this is the best TV out there with no issues and ppl are just too busy watching it or not a lot of ppl have really bought it right now. I remember the KS9800 thread was slow at first but not this slow, guess ppl are waiting for the price to drop, or if this goes like the KS9800, its another botched up launch of this year's flagship.
I am personally feeling like Samsung products (A/V) are so pricey and no support for DV is just turning ppl away at this point. Super quiet in here and stocks of their new UHD player are just sitting collecting dust, with no reviews out there and no owner's thread here.

#48 ·
LOL...I haven't experienced any problems so far. The unpacking and setup went smoothly, and I've just been watching movies and streaming content ever since I got it. The blacks are deep, and the colors are brilliant and true...even better than I remember on the KS9000 it replaces, and definitely better than on the Sony X930D. HDR content is just breathtaking!

I plan on hooking it up to a UBD-M9500 within the next few days to spin a few UHD discs, and I'll post a review if I can pull myself away from the screen for long enough. :)

#53 ·
2017 One-connect box noise?

Hi there,

Really excited about this set but more so for the larger sizes - just wish they had retained 3D as it is awesome on my JS9500 :).

Just one query for owners: is the one-connect box still a noisy beast? On the JS9500 box the fan is very loud and always on which is my only complaint with the TV - and the fact you can't get a one-connect cable long enough to hide the box away!

I think I read somewhere a 50ft cable would be available for this TV which would certainly help if it is still as noisy as ever.

Thanks,
Simon

#59 ·
Hi there,

Really excited about this set but more so for the larger sizes - just wish they had retained 3D as it is awesome on my JS9500 :).

Just one query for owners: is the one-connect box still a noisy beast? On the JS9500 box the fan is very loud and always on which is my only complaint with the TV - and the fact you can't get a one-connect cable long enough to hide the box away!

I think I read somewhere a 50ft cable would be available for this TV which would certainly help if it is still as noisy as ever.

Thanks,
Simon
My OCB is very quiet. As for the 50' extension cable, it is available from Samsung.

#57 ·
Best buy has some new demos up I seen today when I was picking up my Galaxy s8+. Colors looking insane on the Qled TV.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I'm a long time Mac/iOS guy who is nonetheless sorely tempted by the 8+. Apple better bring the pain with its 10th anniversary iPhone or they're gonna lose this guy.

#66 ·
Unless I'm mistaken, there are currently only two reviews of the US/Canada version of this TV: one on HDGuru, and another by John Archer which has been reposted on several websites. I think we will have to wait until other reviewers have posted their impressions of the set. I haven't noticed any issues so far while viewing content in the dark...very bright images onscreen can fill a small space with enough light to make you almost squint, while the letterbox bars remain solid black. Contrast is definitely improved over the KS9000 I had last year. I'm running with stock picture settings, and I'm not sure if I'll get the set calibrated later on since I happen to like how it looks now.

#68 ·
AUDIO CAPABILITIES - FOLLOW UP:

After messaging the engineers over the weekend, a new firmware version was downloaded to the TV this evening...enabling Dolby Digital Plus from the TV's apps, via Toslink connection to an AVR.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.