Vizio Smartcast 2016/2017 E-Series Thread (Now HDR10 Compatible via HDMI & Cast) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jwatte

post #1 of 6 Old 05-10-2017, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Vizio Smartcast 2016/2017 E-Series Thread (Now HDR10 Compatible via HDMI & Cast)

I apologize if this is a duplicate thread, but I was unable to find a thread dedicated specifically to this display.

There is an abundance of information on this forum about the M & P Series displays... I'm assuming this is because they are the higher end units.

I believe, however that with this most recent firmware update, which allows the E-Series to fully support HDR10 via HDMI & Cast, these units will become increasingly more popular... especially with their relatively low price.

(I know, I know... so many less dimming zones and less bells/whistles in terms of PQ adjustments when compared to higher end M & P Series)

But HDR10 support will still bring more budget conscious consumers on board.

For more information on VIZIO SmartCast visit VIZIO.com and for questions about the recent HDR10 update, visit support.vizio.com. E-Series models eligible for the HDR10 firmware update listed below.

Information From Vizio FEB Press Release:

VIZIO SmartCast™ 55” E-Series™ Ultra HD Home Theater Display™ (E55-E1)

VIZIO SmartCast™ 55” E-Series™ Ultra HD Home Theater Display™ (E55-E2)

VIZIO SmartCast™ 60” E-Series™ Ultra HD Home Theater Display™ (E60-E3)

VIZIO SmartCast™ 65” E-Series™ Ultra HD Home Theater Display™ (E65-E0)

VIZIO SmartCast™ 65” E-Series™ Ultra HD Home Theater Display™ (E65-E1)

VIZIO SmartCast™ 70” E-Series™ Ultra HD Home Theater Display™ (E70-E3)

----------------------------------------------------------------

I can confirm that using Netflix to cast, HDR10 is now compatible with the above specified E-Series 4K Models.

Please feel free to share your settings and information for the benefit of users.

Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14944507259820.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	2129801   Click image for larger version

Name:	14944507260081.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	378.2 KB
ID:	2129809  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-16-2017, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Vizio 2017 E-Series - Unable to play 4K HEVC via Plex

Greetings - first time poster here...

I purchased a 2017 E-Series 60" display (Model E60-E3) last week, and I am unable to play 4K HDR HEVC content hosted on my local network. I have attempted to play this content via SmartCast using Plex (local media server, casting via Android or PC) and Kodi (external HDD attached to router, casting via LocalCast), but all attempts have been unsuccessful. LAN bandwidth is not causing the issue, and I am able to play 1080p H.264 content with no issues using Plex or Kodi (also, 4K HEVC is working on other devices in the network using both services). I have also attempted to play 4K HDR HEVC video files directly to the TV via a USB drive, which also failed (TV doesn't even recognize drive). The product specs page on Vizio's website states that the display supports HEVC (H.265) and VP9 codecs for UHD playback. I have spent the better part of three days researching and troubleshooting this issue... finally admitting defeat and turning to the interwebz for help.

I think I read somewhere on this forum (Vizio M- or P-Series owner's thread... maybe?) that Vizio's last firmware update resulted in SmartCast not supporting locally-hosted 4K HDR HEVC playback. Could that potentially be affecting the E-Series as well?

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated... thanks!
post #3 of 6 Old 05-25-2017, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My wife texted me while I was at work:
"A thing happened ..."

Turns out our eldest had been playing GORN, a VR game where you punch people, (wearing a scuba-mask headset where you don't see anything of the "real" environment around you.)
And, despite me calibrating the "virtual fences" 2 feet away from the TV wall, the TV now looked like this:

This was a Sharp Aquos 54", which was a nice display in the times of CFL backlighting (about 2008?)
However, these days, almost anything you can buy is nicer. After briefly considering projectors, wife and I decided on another wall mounted display. However, it didn't need to fit the recess, so we could trace up in size. Wife still wanted some margin to the edges of the "chumney" so 65" seemed alright.
Looking at all the TVs, they are ALL "smart," which I think is the dumbest thing imaginable. I don't want a TV that stops working because the manufacturer made a boo-boo in network management. I don't want a TV that suddenly turns into a tool for North Korean hackers because the cheapest firmware development house forgot about negative buffer indices. I don't want a TV that takes years to boot up just because they couldn't bother to pay another $2 for a faster microcontroller.

But, the Vizio was actually the least "smart," and more importantly, the only real "smarts" advertized was a Chromecast.
I already have a Chromecast Ultra as a source (my room uses an Emotiva XMC-1 as the main signal switcher, and the TV is just a dumb display.) 2160p and HDR10 might be nice, although my pre-run cable in the wall (50 feet of Monoprice, again 2008 era) probably won't support it.

So, off to Best Buy we go, and within 10 minutes we have a Vizio E65-E1 in the back of the wagon! That was easy (well, not on the emergency fixing-things fund, but at least we do have one of those ...)
It was on sale yesterday; it's regular price today, so yay!

I had to extend the wall mount, because the 5" recess meant the mount (also Monoprice!) didn't reach out to o the back of the TV (it's wider than the recess.) So, another late trip, and I made it to the Home Depot before they closed. Saw down a 4x4 to a few pieces, lag screws into the studs, and TV mounting could continue.

Long story short: It works, and looks good so far, and I haven't even tried driving it at anything > 1080p yet.

One bummer: The TV does not turn on when power is applied. I have to use the remote. My system is set up to turn on the circuit that drives the TV and powereed speakers using a 12V relay out of the receiver, so having to press two power buttons is annoying. I haven't found any setting to change this, so that's the question: Is there some way to get this thing to turn on automatically when power is applied?

Last edited by jwatte; 05-25-2017 at 01:24 PM.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-25-2017, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
My wife texted me while I was at work:
"A thing happened ..."

Turns out our eldest had been playing GORN, a VR game where you punch people, (wearing a scuba-mask headset where you don't see anything of the "real" environment around you.)
And, despite me calibrating the "virtual fences" 2 feet away from the TV wall, the TV now looked like this:

This was a Sharp Aquos 54", which was a nice display in the times of CFL backlighting (about 2008?)
However, these days, almost anything you can buy is nicer. After briefly considering projectors, wife and I decided on another wall mounted display. However, it didn't need to fit the recess, so we could trace up in size. Wife still wanted some margin to the edges of the "chumney" so 65" seemed alright.
Looking at all the TVs, they are ALL "smart," which I think is the dumbest thing imaginable. I don't want a TV that stops working because the manufacturer made a boo-boo in network management. I don't want a TV that suddenly turns into a tool for North Korean hackers because the cheapest firmware development house forgot about negative buffer indices. I don't want a TV that takes years to boot up just because they couldn't bother to pay another $2 for a faster microcontroller.

But, the Vizio was actually the least "smart," and more importantly, the only real "smarts" advertized was a Chromecast.
I already have a Chromecast Ultra as a source (my room uses an Emotiva XMC-1 as the main signal switcher, and the TV is just a dumb display.) 2160p and HDR10 might be nice, although my pre-run cable in the wall (50 feet of Monoprice, again 2008 era) probably won't support it.

So, off to Best Buy we go, and within 10 minutes we have a Vizio E65-E1 in the back of the wagon! That was easy (well, not on the emergency fixing-things fund, but at least we do have one of those ...)
It was on sale yesterday; it's regular price today, so yay!

I had to extend the wall mount, because the 5" recess meant the mount (also Monoprice!) didn't reach out to o the back of the TV (it's wider than the recess.) So, another late trip, and I made it to the Home Depot before they closed. Saw down a 4x4 to a few pieces, lag screws into the studs, and TV mounting could continue.

Long story short: It works, and looks good so far, and I haven't even tried driving it at anything > 1080p yet.

One bummer: The TV does not turn on when power is applied. I have to use the remote. My system is set up to turn on the circuit that drives the TV and powereed speakers using a 12V relay out of the receiver, so having to press two power buttons is annoying. I haven't found any setting to change this, so that's the question: Is there some way to get this thing to turn on automatically when power is applied?
How are the reflections on the Vizio? How about taking an after photo for us!
post #5 of 6 Old 05-26-2017, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Picture from this morning, with room lights on. The reflections are no worse than the previous screen, and haven't been much of a problem for us unless there's direct sunlight (which happens from the right at about 3pm, which is not peak movie time but is a common gaming time)

Other learnings:

- The IR remote control is too weak to reach the TV from 10 feet away. I have to walk up to 6 feet or less from it, and aim at the bottom-left corner, for it to work. Generally, I don't like using remotes at all, and this just reinforces the feeling! I will have to wire up an Arduino IR flasher to turn it on once it gets power, and then the remote can go in the drawer-of-almost-never-used-things.

- The black was really gray when playing a game last night. Turns out, the default image control brightness setting of 50 adds too much base light. Turning that down to 46 made it just right.

- I have the image input settings on "game mode," "low latency" and "computer color space" which works great for the way I use it. Haven't measured the input latency for game controllers yet, though.

I've run myself into a bit of a problem:

I started out with a fully-1080p system in 2008 or thereabouts. It was based on a Sony STR receiver/switcher, the Aquos display, a 35 foot HDMI 1 cable run under the floor/through the walls, and going from RCA 7.1 out through a EbTech line level shifter through in-wall balanced wires to the powered speakers.

Last year, the Sony finally wasn't doing it's job anymore, and I had to find a replacement; I ended up with the Emotiva XMC-1. (Say what you want about its rather spare menus, that thing has done the job great; 8 HDMI ins; balanced 7.1 out; just what the doctor ordered! And the third-party Android remote app for it is just right.)
Separately, I've upgraded PS/3 to PS/4, Xbox/360 to Xbox/One, old MacMini to ChromeCast Ultra, and so forth.
Now, with the Vizio E65-E1, all the pieces of the puzzle claim to support 4K!

Except the cable in the floor/walls.

So, trying to watch the second AlphaGo game on YouTube last night, the ChromeCast Ultra (on my receiver, not the one in the TV) went to 4K, and the receiver went to 4K, and the TV thought it should receive 4K, and displayed "No Signal" because the wiring I have isn't up to snuff.
Here's the problem: The TV doesn't have a "downgrade to 1080p" menu option. The ChromeCast doesn't have a "downgrade to 1080p" option. The receiver doesn't have a "downgrade to 1080p" option. So ... suddenly, I find myself in a place where the devices refuse to negotiate a format that would work, and I get no picture.

Things I'm going to try:
- Shift the HDMI output on the XMC-1 to the second HDMI out. (I seem to recall this is 1080p only -- if so, this may solve the problem.) This is the "good enough" solution.
- I have a HDMI 2 signal booster on order from Amazon. We'll see if that can make 4K actually work, which would be sweet! (But not 100% necessary right now -- that's a long term goal.) If this option works, I need to do nothing else, and it's a full win!
- I also have a 50 foot HDMI 2 cable on order from Amazon. (What, a passive cable, 50 feet, HDMI 2 certified? I'm not 100% sure that's actually true, but we'll see.) The drawback, if this option works, is that I have to crawl under the house (about 2ft of crawl space) and fish the new cable through the walls.

In 2008, I also ran an optical (TOS-link) cable from the TV recess to the media cabinet in the back. The TV has digital audio out, for using with the built-in ChromeCast, BUT that's coax, not optical. So I guess another option would be to get a Coax->Optical transciever, and use the TV ChromeCast instead of the discrete one I already have on the receiver.

If I find something that's specific to the TV, I'll update this thread; else perhaps I'll post in my other thread.
Anyway: two days in, those are the two headaches (which seems mild compared to what COULD have been... maybe I'm just an optimist :-)
tonyjspr9 likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old Today, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Vizio doesn't automatically turn on when it gets power in, but this is a problem I can solve!

The final solution wraps up the wiring in heat shrink and conceals it behind the TV itself.
All it does is wait 10 seconds, then send the discrete on code every 2 seconds for another 10 seconds, then stops doing anything else until power goes off and comes back on.

If you want to duplicate this feat, let me save you 15 minutes of coding: https://github.com/jwatte/send_pronto_code
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page