TCL Launches P-Series & C-Series 4K Roku TVs with HDR Dolby Vision Launch - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1196Likes

post #871 of 1306 Old 06-10-2017, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Mine will ship next Monday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	2182441  
theboomr and Phfinman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 1306 Old 06-10-2017, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by patt_itt View Post
Mine arrives between jun 15-19.
theboomr likes this.

USN Ret.
TCL55P607
PN51D6500
CT-100
1 Samsung,4 Vizios,1 Toshiba-Gone.

Last edited by whizkid39; 06-11-2017 at 04:38 AM. Reason: add word
post #873 of 1306 Old 06-10-2017, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzmetcalf View Post
I didn't order until June 1st and my estimate is still August 10 to August 28. But perhaps I just have to wait for the first five days' orders to get filled before my delivery, too, gets moved up six weeks. I wonder how many folks pre-ordered in May.
There were a lot of orders in May. At one point it was the #1 best selling tv. It's currently #1 7, although TCL has the top 4 spots.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-..._bsnr_tab_t_bs
theboomr and franzmetcalf like this.

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR

post #874 of 1306 Old 06-10-2017, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by patt_itt View Post
I have a Monday ship date showing now as well. I ordered on the 25th so it does appear that they may be shipping them in order.

Replacing a Vizio SV421xvt. Looking forward to the long awaited upgrade!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
post #875 of 1306 Old 06-10-2017, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Had to cancel...

We're moving into a new home (currently in a hotel) so I don't actually have anywhere to put it. Kind of sad I had to cancel but with our personal stuff already piling up in the room there really isn't any place to put the TV. And, even if we did have a place certainly don't have any way to move it if we did. I'm still hoping the intro price will be available by time I move in (July 1 with fingers crossed). Looking forward to info from the lucky early adopters (BTW - Be interested to see where the new Hisense H8D, H9D (M65 competitor), and H9D Plus (in 900e territory in terms of price) fall when they are out.
sheshechic likes this.
post #876 of 1306 Old 06-10-2017, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does anyone know if amazon will delay shipping if needed? I am on a business trip until Friday night and according to amazon it is now scheduled to ship Monday with a delivery on Thursday. I really don't want to leave it out on my front door until i get home.
post #877 of 1306 Old 06-10-2017, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejosh View Post
Does anyone know if amazon will delay shipping if needed? I am on a business trip until Friday night and according to amazon it is now scheduled to ship Monday with a delivery on Thursday. I really don't want to leave it out on my front door until i get home.
I don't think Amazon does but you can probably call the carrier directly once the package is with them and ask them to hold it an extra day or two.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
post #878 of 1306 Old 06-10-2017, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

You might be able to have it shipped to an Amazon locker near your home. You just pick it up from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
theboomr likes this.
post #879 of 1306 Old 06-10-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norq79 View Post
You might be able to have it shipped to an Amazon locker near your home. You just pick it up from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah yes, also a very good idea if you have that option!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
post #880 of 1306 Old 06-10-2017, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
You could try asking them. I would do it immediately if I were you. Otherwise UPS/Fedex will probably do it for you.
theboomr likes this.
post #881 of 1306 Old 06-10-2017, 11:24 PM

Liked: 2
Been tracking this discussion with heightened interest as I will be in the market for a 65" TV very soon. I know all the talk has been about the new and now shipping 55" P-series. However, since my interest is for 65", may I ask some novice questions?

1. Does TCL have any 65" already on the market?

2. My understanding is that TCL will be shipping 65" C-series sooner than P-series. The question is then what are the differences between the two series. I really can't make out which is the higher end of the two.

3. What is the best 65" option for under $1,000 right now?

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.
post #882 of 1306 Old 06-10-2017, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Hey, unclejosh, I would be happy to accept delivery of yours anytime this week! You can can have mine whenever the heck it arrives. I'll

More seriously, with this much pressure on Amazon to deliver these TVs, I think you might want to ask a friend to come 'round and pick up yours from your porch and keep it for you until you return. Otherwise, your delivery might be rescheduled to the end of the queue and that might be weeks or even months away (at least judging from my own estimated delivery date).

Denon AVX4300h // 5.1.2: NSM 5SE fronts, PSA XV15se sub, Gallo nucleus micro surrounds, NHT Atmos Minis // TCL P55607 (some DSE but otherwise excellent)
post #883 of 1306 Old 06-11-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent2016 View Post
Been tracking this discussion with heightened interest as I will be in the market for a 65" TV very soon. I know all the talk has been about the new and now shipping 55" P-series. However, since my interest is for 65", may I ask some novice questions?

2. My understanding is that TCL will be shipping 65" C-series sooner than P-series. The question is then what are the differences between the two series. I really can't make out which is the higher end of the two.

C Series does not have FALD, it is edge-lit with no local dimming at all, and according to some remarks from CES, it will only hit 400 nits brightness. But no one has one in hand to verify that yet.
post #884 of 1306 Old 06-11-2017, 02:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Quote:

1. Yes, but not the P or C series.
2. P series is superior. It has 72 zone FALD, supports HDR10 and DV, reaches a quite high and sustainable 700+ nit luminosity.

HCFR 3.4.4 | Git branch
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings
Vizio M55-C2 | T95N with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
post #885 of 1306 Old 06-11-2017, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Congratulations to everyone who has received a shipping notice. Exciting times!

Now we can start getting real world feedback from a number of posters here. I have just gone over this thread to review all of the excellent information that imagic and others have provided. I am in the process of trying to decide whether to get the birds in the hand, (Vizio M or P) or wait for this offering by TCL.

The TCL offers numerous advantages, so I will hold off for the next few weeks to see what people on the forum have to say. Hopefully, there will be some information available sooner than later, as to whether 4th Qtr for the 65" means closer to October 1st or December 31st. In the mean time, pricing on other brands should begin to reflect the gauntlet laid down by TCL. Good news for the informed consumer.

I do have one question about the ROKU platform. Can someone verify that the set can stream Netflix, Vudu and Amazon Dolby Vision titles please? The stand-alone ROKU Ultra and Premiere + do not support DV, only HDR 10, from what I gather. Support for DV in the TCL was alluded to, but not explicitly stated (of course I could have missed that somewhere in the nearly 900 posts)
post #886 of 1306 Old 06-11-2017, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
C Series does not have FALD, it is edge-lit with no local dimming at all, and according to some remarks from CES, it will only hit 400 nits brightness. But no one has one in hand to verify that yet.
The C series also has forward directed speakers and is thinner. My impression is that it was designed to look better when turned off and on display. I guess some people are more concerned with that.

theboomr likes this.
post #887 of 1306 Old 06-11-2017, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Quoted: 6497 Post(s)
Liked: 11252
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcekids View Post
The C series also has forward directed speakers and is thinner. My impression is that it was designed to look better when turned off and on display. I guess some people are more concerned with that.

It clearly indicates that from a consumer perspective, FALD does not command a premium, aesthetics does.

Having said that, IMO the P Series look fine, thin bezel and simple legs. Handsome enough for a bargain TV. I guess if you are hanging a TV on a wall you need it to be super skinny?

As for the speakers, the P Series speakers really are just a formality. I can't imagine anyone not adding some external sound solution to it, and I'm glad TCL wasted no money on that because this TV deserves at least a soundbar if not a surround system.
tedrik and theboomr like this.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
post #888 of 1306 Old 06-11-2017, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ordered May 28th, had a place holder for Aug. Just got the notice for delivery between June 16-21
This is a replacement for my Samsung 50" DLP 720P
post #889 of 1306 Old 06-11-2017, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcguinn View Post

I do have one question about the ROKU platform. Can someone verify that the set can stream Netflix, Vudu and Amazon Dolby Vision titles please? The stand-alone ROKU Ultra and Premiere + do not support DV, only HDR 10, from what I gather. Support for DV in the TCL was alluded to, but not explicitly stated (of course I could have missed that somewhere in the nearly 900 posts)
From the manufacturer:

http://www.tclusa.com/products/home-...mart-tv-55p607

"TCL’s P-Series delivers powerful picture performance by combining Dolby Vision, the premium HDR experience, with advanced technologies that offer superior contrast and brighter, more accurate colors."

One thing I haven't seen mentioned on the thread yet is that you get 2 months free HBO Now with the tv.

https://www.roku.com/offers/hbonow
theboomr likes this.

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR

Last edited by Bob Coxner; 06-11-2017 at 08:04 AM.
post #890 of 1306 Old 06-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

Yes, Amazon has the the 2017 TCL 65S405 in the stock now.
http://www.tclusa.com/products/home-...mart-tv-65s405

Quote:
They are both slated for the late 2017 time frame, probably arriving mid-Oct, early Nov in time for Holiday season.

Basic differences between 2017 TCL series:

S 305 Series:
  • Sizes 28"-49"
  • Latest Roku software, remote without headphone jack.
  • 1080p

S 405 Series:
  • Latest Roku software, remote with headphone jack
  • Direct lit
  • 4k with HDR10 support

P 607 Series:
  • Direct lit
  • 4k with Wade Color Gamut HDR10 support, FALD and Dolby Vision.
  • Dolby ATMOS audio pass-through on optical out

C 807 Series:
  • Edge lit with ultra thin bezel
  • 4k with Wide Color Gamut HDR10 and Dolby Vision
  • Premium speakers

All 4k models come with 3 HDMI 2.0a ports with HDCP 2.2. Optical out. No component input.

Quote:
Will leave this one to those more familiar with current models, but in general with budget and mid-range products it's always a trade off. If accurate color is your primary concern over smooth motion then the recommendation may be different than if you put higher priority on motion. May help to qualify a bit more, something like "what's the best 65" option for movies" or "what's the best 65" option for gaming, etc...". I question how well the S 405 series can deliver HDR10 without TCL's proprietary Wide Color Gamut technology. Have not seen any reviews of the S 405 series sets and they've been available for over a month now.
sheshechic likes this.
post #891 of 1306 Old 06-11-2017, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerninja View Post
Everyone please vote once a day for the P607 here http://www.rtings.com/tv/suggestions
you can vote for more than 1 so please vote for the s series also... it's already out at costco
sheshechic likes this.
post #892 of 1306 Old 06-11-2017, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00ter11 View Post
Just got a shipping update notice from Amazon. Expected to arrive between June 15th to 19th!
I got my shipping notice too. UPS may have to put on more trucks.
tedrik and theboomr like this.
post #893 of 1306 Old 06-11-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
From the manufacturer:

http://www.tclusa.com/products/home-...mart-tv-55p607

"TCL’s P-Series delivers powerful picture performance by combining Dolby Vision, the premium HDR experience, with advanced technologies that offer superior contrast and brighter, more accurate colors."

One thing I haven't seen mentioned on the thread yet is that you get 2 months free HBO Now with the tv.

https://www.roku.com/offers/hbonow
Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't sure the DV support was just through HDMI and also pertained to the internal Roku app since the stand-alone streamers from Roku don't support it.

Funny thing how TCL is going to market with their various models, bringing in different sizes of each series, instead of a complete size range of a series, and then moving on to the next model. Maybe that is normal, and I just haven't paid attention.

I wonder when there will be a "C" model available to review? I am probably not interested, but specs/performance may surprise. Sony's X930 is edge-lit.

I was trying to hold off watching any films available in 4K/HDR but when I told my wife "end of the year for the TCL" she said "fuggedaboutit". She is willing to wait on the TV, but not on watching our backlog of recent movies.

This may force my hand to move quicker than I want because now the floodgates will open
post #894 of 1306 Old 06-11-2017, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOct View Post
Any info on the video codecs this supports? I know it has Roku software inside but I'm interested in whether it supports newer video codecs natively like HEVC and VP9. I rip most of my blu rays these days and play them through Plex, I'm starting to switch to HEVC for my rips because they take up less space, but it does work my server harder to transcode, so if the TV can play it natively all the better!
Anyone know if the TCL P-series has the VP9, Profile 2 capability?

Main: Sony 65XBR900E
Desktop: Samsung UN40KU6290
Bedroom: Hitachi Roku 55R7

Retired Units: Vizio P65-C, Vizio M653DSV
post #895 of 1306 Old 06-11-2017, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I got my email this morning as well - delivery June 15th -19th
Dave
post #896 of 1306 Old 06-11-2017, 12:31 PM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz76 View Post
Yes, Amazon has the the 2017 TCL 65S405 in the stock now.

They are both slated for the late 2017 time frame, probably arriving mid-Oct, early Nov in time for Holiday season.

Basic differences between 2017 TCL series:

S 305 Series:
  • Sizes 28"-49"
  • Latest Roku software, remote without headphone jack.
  • 1080p

S 405 Series:
  • Direct lit
  • 4k with HDR10 support

P 607 Series:
  • Direct lit
  • 4k with Wade Color Gamut HDR10 support, FALD and Dolby Vision.

C 807 Series:
  • Edge lit with ultra thin bezel
  • 4k with Wide Color Gamut HDR10 and Dolby Vision
  • Premium speakers

All 4k models come with 3 HDMI 2.0a ports with HDCP 2.2. Optical out. No component input.

Will leave this one to those more familiar with current models, but in general with budget and mid-range products it's always a trade off. If accurate color is your primary concern over smooth motion then the recommendation may be different than if you put higher priority on motion. May help to qualify a bit more, something like "what's the best 65" option for movies" or "what's the best 65" option for gaming, etc...". I question how well the S 405 series can deliver HDR10 without TCL's proprietary Wide Color Gamut technology. Have not seen any reviews of the S 405 series sets and they've been available for over a month now.
Thanks a ton for all the replies. I'm not willing to dish out big money for the latest whizbang technology. TCL seems to hit the sweetspot with good enough quality for reasonable ransom that we all have to pay every few years as we cozy up to the latest and greatest.

It looks like I may have to settle for 65S405 since I can't wait till Oct/Nov time frame. On the other hand, I might pick up a 55S403 from Costco, albeit a 55-incher, and do a switcheroo when 65P607 becomes available. Worst case scenario, get the 65P607 and move the dirt-cheap 55S403 to another room.
post #897 of 1306 Old 06-11-2017, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Well, looks like Amazon is ready to fulfill orders all the way through June 1 because my order now says shipping June 13!
sheshechic and theboomr like this.

Denon AVX4300h // 5.1.2: NSM 5SE fronts, PSA XV15se sub, Gallo nucleus micro surrounds, NHT Atmos Minis // TCL P55607 (some DSE but otherwise excellent)
post #898 of 1306 Old 06-11-2017, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 3535 Post(s)
Liked: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
The Dolby Vision models don't list having HDR10 or HDR10+. I'd prefer having both.
HDR10 is a given. You need HDMI 2.1 for HDR10+ and this set does not have 2.1 ports.
theboomr likes this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #899 of 1306 Old 06-11-2017, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've kinda been waiting around in the wings for something to pull the trigger on. I currently have a 42" 720p Samsung plasma where the panel has been waiting to fail for a few years. (Red and blue lines through the display.) I almost pulled the trigger on a discounted Sony 800D a month ago, but I'm kinda glad I waited, since this might be more worth it, especially since the 2017 Vizio M series seems to be a mixed bag.

I'm kinda tempted by the 55", even tho the 50" might fit the space better. (a 55" will be slightly wider than the table, and my clutzy wife needs to walk by the TV to get to her desk behind the TV.) I'm more waiting to see what the consensus on this ultimately is and how long it will be for the 50".
post #900 of 1306 Old 06-11-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
HDR10 is a given. You need HDMI 2.1 for HDR10+ and this set does not have 2.1 ports.
I thought that was the case.

I am confused by the recent Amazon-Samsung announcement regarding HDR 10+. Samsung states that their 2017 TV's support HDR 10+ and they can enable last years sets with a firmware update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
c-series , hdr , p-series , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page