TCL Launches P-Series & C-Series 4K Roku TVs with HDR Dolby Vision Launch - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1138Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #1 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 11,480
Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5874 Post(s)
Liked: 10288
TCL Launches P-Series 4K HDR Roku TV with HDR Dolby Vision + First Look

Update! "First Look" posted.

TCL's P-Series brings some serious picture quality to the table at an astonishingly low price. It's a Roku TV with Dolby Vision and 72-zone FALD. With encouraging performance in numerous areas, this could wind up being one of the best deal on a 55" HDR TV around. Plus, gamers should be thrilled by the ultra-low lag times for both SDR and HDR 1080p when in Game mode.

Here's the link: TCL 55″ P-Series Model 55P607 4K HDR Roku TV with Dolby Vision: First Look


-----

Original Post: The TCL P-Series and C-Series of 4K, HDR, WCG, Dolby VIsion Roku TVs that were first shown at CES 2017 have officially launched. Click the link to read more: 2017 TCL P-Series & C-Series HDR 4K Roku TVs with Dolby Vision Launch
Bob Coxner likes this.

Mark Henninger (aka Imagic)

Last edited by imagic; 05-26-2017 at 05:55 PM.
imagic is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 08:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 135
599 promotional price for the P55, does that mean its gonna go up after a certain time period tbd?
tenthplanet likes this.
Fascinate is offline  
post #3 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 11,480
Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5874 Post(s)
Liked: 10288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
599 promotional price for the P55, does that mean its gonna go up after a certain time period tbd?
It's listed as $649 so presumably but you never know...

Mark Henninger (aka Imagic)
imagic is online now  
 
post #4 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 09:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I mean depending on how these things perform they could be a game changer on a level even surpassing what vizio did last year (when you take pricing into consideration). They are going to be 8 bit panels so we wont see WCG like on a samsung ks8000 but maybe they can strike a balance somewhere between that set and a M series vizio?

I am probably in the minority on this one (at least on this forum) but i also wish these were chromecast displays rather than roku lol. Not a big deal tho with the CC ultra's existence.
Fascinate is offline  
post #5 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 09:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Would love to see these guys enter the 100-120" market in the ~$5k range and take a lot of projector business. I would instantly replace my projector in the movie theater with one of these.
skoolpsyk, RLBURNSIDE and vinyfiny like this.

FS: 3 Speakercraft AIM2 LCR5 Five - PM Me

Marantz SR7010 - Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3 - SeymourAV 16:9 Premier 130" XD - Sony VPL-VW60 - 7.2.4 - L/C/R SVS Ultra Bookshelf - Surrounds SpeakerCraft AIM LCR5Three - Ceiling SpeakerCraft AIM 8 - Klipsch R110sw - Def Tech Supercube 6000
klimo is online now  
post #6 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,678
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1448
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimo View Post
Would love to see these guys enter the 100-120" market in the ~$5k range and take a lot of projector business. I would instantly replace my projector in the movie theater with one of these.
Ya I agree, I'm starting to get seriously PO'ed about the projector industry's relatively slow rate of improvements over the past five years, and how far they are behind.
RLBURNSIDE is online now  
post #7 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,530
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Technical details and specs, I want now!

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Audio: Onkyo HT-S6300 7.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Currently For SALE : UHD Media & Codes
b0rnarian is online now  
post #8 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
CaptinCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kennedale, Tx
Posts: 522
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Technical details and specs, I want now!
Not much in the way of specs, but it's a start. It's the reviews that I want to see and how they are going to match up against other's in the size, and price range.

http://www.tclusa.com/products/home-theater/p-series
b0rnarian and MikeTV69 like this.

Sony 55W900A
Sony UBP x800
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RB-51 II (Front Preference)
SVS PB-2000
CaptinCrunch is online now  
post #9 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 11:26 AM
Newbie
 
naparkertx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TCL C vs. P Series

Please help me confirm that the P-seires is the superior to the C correct? It seems as thought that is the case due to the 72-zone dimming. I'd really like to know before I pull the trigger on a Vizo P-Series (2016) on sale at Costco until the end of May.
naparkertx is offline  
post #10 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
puddy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,040
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by naparkertx View Post
Please help me confirm that the P-seires is the superior to the C correct? It seems as thought that is the case due to the 72-zone dimming. I'd really like to know before I pull the trigger on a Vizo P-Series (2016) on sale at Costco until the end of May.
The C series is edgelit and the P series is backlit with the 72 zone dimming. Most would consider FALD superior to edge. I think the C series is more expensive because it's a very thin screen, not because it is a better TV.
puddy77 is offline  
post #11 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 11:43 AM
Senior Member
 
thunderbird1100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
The C series is edgelit and the P series is backlit with the 72 zone dimming. Most would consider FALD superior to edge. I think the C series is more expensive because it's a very thin screen, not because it is a better TV.
It'll be interesting to see the performance of the 2. Is the C-series actually more expensive? Looks like it's about the same or maybe a touch more expensive.

Either way, you would assume the P series is better picture quality wise, they even kind of basically say that. Although, the X900E is FALD and x930E from Sony is edge lit and the x930E is the superior tv.
thunderbird1100 is offline  
post #12 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 01:23 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100 View Post
It'll be interesting to see the performance of the 2. Is the C-series actually more expensive? Looks like it's about the same or maybe a touch more expensive.

Either way, you would assume the P series is better picture quality wise, they even kind of basically say that. Although, the X900E is FALD and x930E from Sony is edge lit and the x930E is the superior tv.
Not to debate, but the x930E is superior for reasons that have almost nothing to do with the dimming. I.E. almost 6-700 more nits and brightness and the X1 extreme processor.

TCL will have to publish some specs. Like whats the max brightness output, color gamut, etc.. Dolby Vision isn't a real incentive especially since there almost no hard copy Dolby vision movies out... I think that when it comes time we will find out it'll be an underperformer or on par. If the specs were good they'd brag about them. To say it'll be better than previous TCL TV's is like saying youre better than the bottom 3rd in the category.
bigtexan999 likes this.
bigcjm is offline  
post #13 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 11,480
Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5874 Post(s)
Liked: 10288
Working on getting a 65" P-Series to profile/review. No guarantees, but talking to TCL about it.

Mark Henninger (aka Imagic)
imagic is online now  
post #14 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
 
thunderbird1100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcjm View Post
Not to debate, but the x930E is superior for reasons that have almost nothing to do with the dimming. I.E. almost 6-700 more nits and brightness and the X1 extreme processor.

TCL will have to publish some specs. Like whats the max brightness output, color gamut, etc.. Dolby Vision isn't a real incentive especially since there almost no hard copy Dolby vision movies out... I think that when it comes time we will find out it'll be an underperformer or on par. If the specs were good they'd brag about them. To say it'll be better than previous TCL TV's is like saying youre better than the bottom 3rd in the category.
Actually the local dimming performance itself is better on the edge lit x930e over the FALD x900e.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pictu.../local-dimming

7.5/10 for x930e
7.0/10 for x900e

Certainly the x930e is also better in many other ways (better processer, brighter, etc), but it's the best local dimming performance ever from an edge lit tv. That's why I'm wondering if the C-series may potentially be as good as the P series from TCL in terms of dimming. I highly doubt it, as they said the P is for picture performance...but, cant rule it out just due to local dimming like in the case of the x900e and x930e.

TCL tvs generally get reviewed pretty well, no they are not high end tvs, but most places have really liked their roku tvs. rtings gave a solid review on the UP130 last year, kind of a bare bones 4k tv (no HDR, no WCG, no LD), but the picture quality was rather nice still. I remember my 2014 TCL 4k tv I bought. 120hz native panel, wasn't smart, but the picture quality really quite good for a 50" 4k set from back in 2014, believe I got that for like $500 which was a steal back then. I had/have a HU8550 to compare it against and honestly didn't see a big difference.
thunderbird1100 is offline  
post #15 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Member
 
Youcan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
I mean depending on how these things perform they could be a game changer on a level even surpassing what vizio did last year (when you take pricing into consideration). They are going to be 8 bit panels so we wont see WCG like on a samsung ks8000 but maybe they can strike a balance somewhere between that set and a M series vizio?

I am probably in the minority on this one (at least on this forum) but i also wish these were chromecast displays rather than roku lol. Not a big deal tho with the CC ultra's existence.
Where did you see 8 bit panels confirmed? I've seen a couple news articles say 10 bit and forum posters guessing that it's 8 bit. I haven't seen any detailed official specs.
theboomr likes this.
Youcan1 is offline  
post #16 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Garrett Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Stockton, CA USA
Posts: 3,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 959
The Dolby Vision models don't list having HDR10 or HDR10+. I'd prefer having both.
Garrett Adams is offline  
post #17 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 03:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youcan1 View Post
Where did you see 8 bit panels confirmed? I've seen a couple news articles say 10 bit and forum posters guessing that it's 8 bit. I haven't seen any detailed official specs.
Well pricing, they arent going to be selling a 55" 10 bit panel for 599 bucks.
Fascinate is offline  
post #18 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 04:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
Well pricing, they arent going to be selling a 55" 10 bit panel for 599 bucks.
If the panels are only going to be 8 bit then how could they possibly cover "nearly the entire P3 color spectrum" (somewhat paraphrasing), as claimed?

I mean, can't you pretty much not have actual "wide color gamut" unless the TV has a 10-bit (or higher, in the future) panel?
reallynotnick and Dargent0628 like this.
theboomr is online now  
post #19 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 04:46 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by naparkertx View Post
Please help me confirm that the P-seires is the superior to the C correct? It seems as thought that is the case due to the 72-zone dimming. I'd really like to know before I pull the trigger on a Vizo P-Series (2016) on sale at Costco until the end of May.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the Vizio P75-C1 be far superior than any of these new TLCs?
viggen37 is offline  
post #20 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 04:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
If the panels are only going to be 8 bit then how could they possibly cover "nearly the entire P3 color spectrum" (somewhat paraphrasing), as claimed?

I mean, can't you pretty much not have actual "wide color gamut" unless the TV has a 10-bit (or higher, in the future) panel?
Im just going by pricing, there is just no way they could sell a real 10 bit panel at that price even without local dimming and dolby vision.
Skoch116 likes this.
Fascinate is offline  
post #21 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 04:49 PM
Senior Member
 
cah95046's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Working on getting a 65" P-Series to profile/review. No guarantees, but talking to TCL about it.
Great! That's tv is my target.
cah95046 is offline  
post #22 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 04:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by viggen37 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the Vizio P75-C1 be far superior than any of these new TLCs?
Ya the vizio is surely a much much better TV, not sure why someone would be cross shopping these really.
Fascinate is offline  
post #23 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
Im just going by pricing, there is just no way they could sell a real 10 bit panel at that price even without local dimming and dolby vision.
I understand your logic, I just feel like it is strange for TCL to have been bragging multiple times about super great WCG on these sets if there actually won't be any true WCG. I'll probably pick one up when they're released this month and compare it side by side with my Vizio P55, although I'm not an expert by any means. Hopefully Rtings gets their review up relatively soon after release though...
theboomr is online now  
post #24 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 04:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Im really interested in these as well, to me if they can strike a nice balance between quality local dimming and a nice vibrant display with good nit output this TV could be the defacto recommendation for anyone really.
Fascinate is offline  
post #25 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 05:06 PM
Member
 
Youcan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
Im just going by pricing, there is just no way they could sell a real 10 bit panel at that price even without local dimming and dolby vision.
There is a way, it's called component pricing going down and the major manufacturers having a huge markup on their products. You can certainly have your opinion, but don't act like it's a fact until the details are out. Obviously they won't hit the color/brightness of a top tier Samsung or have quite as good of a local dimming system as the Vizio P series, but who knows how close they'll get. The TCL UP130 from last year has a 10 bit panel by the way.
theboomr likes this.

Last edited by Youcan1; 05-12-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Youcan1 is offline  
post #26 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 05:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Well we should be clear not all 10 bit panels are created equally. But yes that is exactly what im hoping for, a nice balance between a vibrant samsung and the local dimming of a vizio, would be an extremely attractive TV for the price.
hifiHigh and theboomr like this.
Fascinate is offline  
post #27 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 05:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 63
In an interview at CES the guy talks about the C series only having 400 nits peak brightness but able to hit nearly 100% of P3 color. Isn't that peak brightness way low compared to others?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
NHAudiofan is offline  
post #28 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 05:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAudiofan View Post
In an interview at CES the guy talks about the C series only having 400 nits peak brightness but able to hit nearly 100% of P3 color. Isn't that peak brightness way low compared to others?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Where did you hear that? At least for the P series TCL is making the claim its going to be one of the brightest HDR tv's in 2017.
EscapeVelocity likes this.
Fascinate is offline  
post #29 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 06:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
Where did you hear that? At least for the P series TCL is making the claim its going to be one of the brightest HDR tv's in 2017.

This video, starting at the 5:31 point he starts to talk about the C series.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
NHAudiofan is offline  
post #30 of 1130 Unread 05-12-2017, 06:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Oh dont care about the C lol, neither should anyone else on this forum.
Fascinate is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
c-series , hdr , p-series , tcl



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off