OFFICIAL 2017 Sony X850E Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #61 of 121 Old 07-27-2017, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandingo View Post
I haven't noticed any issues in regards to out of sync audio and again, the most recent firmware issue addressed this. 850E is a much better set than the 850C. You will be pleased.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That is great news, how about gaming are they actually playable now. For example Asphalt Racing was a stuttering mess on my 850C? I also read that the latest update now includes support for bluetooth headphones, have you tried any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwtsn32 View Post
Thanks! I'm wondering if they will ever release Android 7.0 for my 850C....Maybe it will solve the problem....
Sony are contracted with Google to supply at least two new OS updates. Anything beyond that is up to the manufacturer. In Europe, it has been confirmed 7.0 is coming in Autumn this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 121 Old 07-27-2017, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recall View Post
That is great news, how about gaming are they actually playable now. For example Asphalt Racing was a stuttering mess on my 850C? I also read that the latest update now includes support for bluetooth headphones, have you tried any?

Sony are contracted with Google to supply at least two new OS updates. Anything beyond that is up to the manufacturer. In Europe, it has been confirmed 7.0 is coming in Autumn this year.
I wouldn't know about gaming apps on the TV, have a gaming rig with dual gtx 1080 ti's, PS4, XB1...yeah, not really interested in playing android games using the TV. I can tell you that the chipset used in the 850E is more powerful than the one used in both the 850C and 850D but by no means is it a work horse.
The chipset is a MediaTek 5891 (Quad-core ARM v8a running in 32-bit mode) Attached are pics of AIDA info. I also attached a pic of 3DMark score from the TV and my Galaxy S8+, hardly a fair comparison but you really shouldnt be playing any you intensive game on this Tv's hardware.

And yes, they finally updated firmware to allow Bluetooth audio. I use it with MDR-X1000's.

Last edited by Dandingo; 07-27-2017 at 06:35 AM.
post #63 of 121 Old 07-27-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3021 Post(s)
Liked: 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by thptrek View Post
Baloo, I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat in trying to decide between a 65 or 75. I have a large room and currently have a 55. I think I'm going to go 75 cause that big screen is hard to pass up.
You know that is the correct answer...75". You buy the 65" in about 2 months the hunt will start all over again, this time for the 75", then the 65" becomes the bedroom TV
Dandingo and DJTaurus like this.

post #64 of 121 Old 08-02-2017, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone else notice the updated YouTube App doesn't display 4K videos in 4K?

post #65 of 121 Old 08-02-2017, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Better yet, here is the old app and new app....yup, new app is not displaying 4K. Good thing you can revert and disable auto updates.

post #66 of 121 Old 08-02-2017, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is the judder noticeable from 60p sources like Apple TV? Does this mean streaming Netflix from the tvs own android OS would also be affected? I have an Xbox and use that with HBO go...I'm assuming this would also show the problem when watching movies?

I noticed this in the rtings review.

Thanks!
post #67 of 121 Old 08-03-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiuh View Post
Is the judder noticeable from 60p sources like Apple TV? Does this mean streaming Netflix from the tvs own android OS would also be affected? I have an Xbox and use that with HBO go...I'm assuming this would also show the problem when watching movies?

Thanks!
Apparently even the premium A1 OLED has the same issue. Sony TV have never had this problem, I would wager this is a bug in the firmware.
post #68 of 121 Old 08-10-2017, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks!
I prefer the built-in apps and also have a XB1 and PS4 Pro connected.

post #69 of 121 Old 08-10-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I prefer the built-in apps and also have a XB1 and PS4 Pro connected.

So does this mean you don't notice the judder from Xbox?

Is it even an issue with Xbox streaming like hbo go?

My tv is having a problem and needs to be replaced, but they aren't offering me anything comparable and my only option is to pay $ for the 850e.
post #70 of 121 Old 08-13-2017, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dolby Vision

Does anyone know if they are going to add a firmware for dolby vision on the x850e at all? Thanks!
post #71 of 121 Old 08-13-2017, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymets2583 View Post
Does anyone know if they are going to add a firmware for dolby vision on the x850e at all? Thanks!
They are not going to add Dolby Vision for this model.

Need Help for a friend. We are trying to connect a Samsung S8 via usb c to HDMI to an XBR65850E. We are able to get video, but the audio is not being passed on a google play movie rental from the phone. Any suggestions?
post #72 of 121 Old 08-13-2017, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCKCHILLOUT View Post
They are not going to add Dolby Vision for this model.

Need Help for a friend. We are trying to connect a Samsung S8 via usb c to HDMI to an XBR65850E. We are able to get video, but the audio is not being passed on a google play movie rental from the phone. Any suggestions?
Hmmmm, have you tried all the HDMI ports? Does it work on another TV? Cable used before?

post #73 of 121 Old 08-14-2017, 11:41 AM

Anyone notice judder when watching The Arrival on amazon?

Also has anyone got any HDR calibration settings?
post #74 of 121 Old 08-16-2017, 06:51 AM

Liked: 10
How does this set handle skin color? Thinking about picking it up.

I bought a Vizio E65-E1 and if you are sitting 2-3 feet from center, there is a weird green and purple push. To get good skin tones outside shots suffer. To get good outside shots, skin tones suffer. And any low def images with compression blocking would have green shades on the blocks.
post #75 of 121 Old 08-16-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
An 850E is a great set, however coming from a plasma an 850E will not do, minimum would be 900E. As sheshechic noted OLED is your answer.....
I had a Panasonic 42S1 and while the Sony 810C I have now doesn't pop quite as well with as good of black levels, I definitely, "make do" with it. For me at least, OLED is NOT the answer due to burn in. Just to give an alternate perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacious nick View Post
I mean, the 850E is a REALLY mediocre TV. I'm not even sure why you would buy one, when you could pay less and get a 2016 TV that is far superior.
Have you seen this set in person in a dark environment nick? What specifically is mediocre about it?

From what I've seen, the 850E is the absolute best non PWM panel available today. I understand the C7P to be flicker free as well, but it's almost 2x the $ and I'm not going back to babysitting for burn in like the days of plasma.
post #76 of 121 Old 08-19-2017, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I can get the x850e 65 in for about $200 less than the x900e 55 inch and am having a hard time debating between the two. The TV will primarily be for watching football and basketball and streaming shows through netflix HBO etc.. It seems the only difference between the two is that the 900e is able to get much brighter - about twice as bright. Will I be missing out going with the 850e or is the larger screen size worth it?
post #77 of 121 Old 08-25-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1784 View Post
I can get the x850e 65 in for about $200 less than the x900e 55 inch and am having a hard time debating between the two. The TV will primarily be for watching football and basketball and streaming shows through netflix HBO etc.. It seems the only difference between the two is that the 900e is able to get much brighter - about twice as bright. Will I be missing out going with the 850e or is the larger screen size worth it?
I love the 850e. I have a 65" in a fairly bright living room and I still don't have the brightness all the way up. And it's too bright to be honest when the lights are off. I also have the auto backlight on, which seems to boost the brightness / backlight higher than what you can do in settings with it off.

I asked about skin tones in a few posts up. I can say this set has the most realistic colors I've seen after comparing LG, Samsung, and Vizio. Samsung had the 2nd best colors but skin tones still looked fake.

You can't go wrong with this 850e or the 900e. Extremely happy with it.
post #78 of 121 Old 08-25-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3021 Post(s)
Liked: 3214
Quote:
I had a Panasonic 42S1 and while the Sony 810C I have now doesn't pop quite as well with as good of black levels, I definitely, "make do" with it. For me at least, OLED is NOT the answer due to burn in. Just to give an alternate perspective.
That's why I threw in the 900E
post #79 of 121 Old 08-25-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
That's why I threw in the 900E
I did get a chance to see the 900E and the 850E @ Best Buy, but they were both in the bright showroom and probably in retail torch mode.

That said, the 900E does not have a flicker free backlight and that's a major deal breaker for me.
post #80 of 121 Old 08-30-2017, 02:02 PM

Can anyone explain to me how the IR blaster works? Does it just replicate any IR signal it gets, allowing you to use your original remote and it just passes the signal through? Or do you have program the Sony remote for each device you want the blaster to hit?
post #81 of 121 Old 09-01-2017, 03:05 PM

Hello!

So I just received a replacement for my previous Sony. I had to pay a fee to upgrade and the box says factory new, but the wrapping for the TV inside off, folded up, and tucked into the bottom. After turning it on, I noticed severe backlight bleeding from the left corner to the bottom...I'll update this post when I get home, but this seems defective to me.

Sony told me this was normal and the backlight would "calibrate" itself after 2-3 weeks. hdtvsandmore's review had this to say:

"When viewing a completely black screen I did not see any light bleed coming from the edges of the screen."
https://hdtvsandmore.com/sony-xbr65x...a-hd-tv-review

I'll give it some time, but have any of you noticed this?

Last edited by jodiuh; 09-01-2017 at 04:24 PM.
post #82 of 121 Old 09-02-2017, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I rarely watch TV in pitch dark but when I kinda did, the bleeding was nowhere near what you showed us here. However, there may be a difference between what is perceived IRL and what a camera capture.
post #83 of 121 Old 09-02-2017, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello!

So I just received a replacement for my previous Sony. I had to pay a fee to upgrade and the box says factory new, but the wrapping for the TV inside off, folded up, and tucked into the bottom. After turning it on, I noticed severe backlight bleeding from the left corner to the bottom...I'll update this post when I get home, but this seems defective to me.

Sony told me this was normal and the backlight would "calibrate" itself after 2-3 weeks. hdtvsandmore's review had this to say:

"When viewing a completely black screen I did not see any light bleed coming from the edges of the screen."
https://hdtvsandmore.com/sony-xbr65x...a-hd-tv-review

I'll give it some time, but have any of you noticed this?

It's a Edge led TV.
I have bought this TV, and have a broken line, and visible bleeding. This Sony don't have amy sorta of local dimming.

I buy a sj8500 LG, no broken line, but same issue of backlight if local dimming is set off.

Inviato dal mio EVA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited by febiuzz; 09-02-2017 at 04:34 AM.
post #84 of 121 Old 09-02-2017, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Anyone else notice the updated YouTube App doesn't display 4K videos in 4K?

The latest update youtube app on Sony Android TV set streaming quality auto to your connection

post #85 of 121 Old 09-02-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belkbuzze View Post
I rarely watch TV in pitch dark but when I kinda did, the bleeding was nowhere near what you showed us here. However, there may be a difference between what is perceived IRL and what a camera capture.
Oh yeah, right on...if I'm watching something that's bright like Planet Earth 2 in 4K w/ HDR during the day, I can't see anything. Played a little Forza 6 and & CODWWII beta on XBO without noticing anything. Then I watched Ghost in the Shell UHD via Google Play and could see the white strip up top in the letterbox...but MOST distracting's the HUGE cloud over the left side of the screen, lol. That's where it was bent tho...oh yeah, my LCD is crooked. Box took a hit to the area affected. I'll try again. I'm not too concerned as I don't recall this being an issue w/ the rtings review or the one I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by febiuzz View Post
It's a Edge led TV.
I have bought this TV, and have a broken line, and visible bleeding. This Sony don't have amy sorta of local dimming.
Right, but the reviewer didn't notice anything. Rtings didn't mention anything either and I don't see droves of people complaining here either. I think we both had bad luck!
post #86 of 121 Old 09-02-2017, 11:23 AM

I don't think so.

post #87 of 121 Old 09-03-2017, 05:13 AM

Hi there. Just got this tv. Can anyone tell me the best settings for the tv. Mainly to watch netflix and play ps4 pro. I tried what I have read online.. for example using cinema mode but dont like how it looks. Hopefully someone can help
post #88 of 121 Old 09-04-2017, 02:39 PM

Has anyone seen this behavior?

(Because my account is new, I can't post you a direct link. If you go to youtube dot com and add this after the slash:
watch?v=OWYnFrcCAnw

Or just search for "OWYnFrcCAnw", you'll see the video I recorded and am trying to share.)

This started about a month ago and has gotten progressively worse. At about 1 minute, you'll see how it's supposed to look - smooth and without that stuttering that I wouldn't call "judder" necessarily because it's WAY more pronounced.

Before you reply "No it's probably your computer":

- Swapped video cards
- Took Receiver out of the loop and went HDMI directly to TV
- Used different cable
- Behavior appears to be random and agnostic of computer settings; refresh rate, resolution, business of screen.

Next I'm going to swap the whole computer out for my bedroom computer and see if it makes a difference.
post #89 of 121 Old 09-04-2017, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Can anyone comment as to how much of a drop-off in overall image quality and contrast and brightness the 75 inch version of this TV. Is the IPS panel hate a marketing thing or is the 75" version of the 850e substantially worse than its smaller versions that have the VA panel.

Any idea why Sony did an IPS for the 75" and VA for all of their other TVs.
post #90 of 121 Old 09-05-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locane View Post
Has anyone seen this behavior?

(Because my account is new, I can't post you a direct link. If you go to youtube dot com and add this after the slash:
watch?v=OWYnFrcCAnw

Or just search for "OWYnFrcCAnw", you'll see the video I recorded and am trying to share.)

This started about a month ago and has gotten progressively worse. At about 1 minute, you'll see how it's supposed to look - smooth and without that stuttering that I wouldn't call "judder" necessarily because it's WAY more pronounced.

Before you reply "No it's probably your computer":

- Swapped video cards
- Took Receiver out of the loop and went HDMI directly to TV
- Used different cable
- Behavior appears to be random and agnostic of computer settings; refresh rate, resolution, business of screen.

Next I'm going to swap the whole computer out for my bedroom computer and see if it makes a difference.

Update: Swapping the HDMI cable out for a DVI to HDMI converter cable seems to have resolved this for now. I'm not sure why this is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page