OFFICIAL 2017 Sony X850E Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #91 of 118 Old 09-07-2017, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locane View Post
Update: Swapping the HDMI cable out for a DVI to HDMI converter cable seems to have resolved this for now. I'm not sure why this is.
Ok, update 2: It appears that HDMI input 2 is bad. HDMI 4 is working almost completely fine; a set of new HDMI 2.0b compliant cables did not resolve the issue, and moving the DVI to HDMI cable to input 2 had it behave the same way as the HDMI cable.

I might need to send my TV in for repairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 118 Old 09-07-2017, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3006 Post(s)
Liked: 3207
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiuh View Post
That said, the 900E does not have a flicker free backlight and that's a major deal breaker for me.
I wonder what is going on there, I have seen no flicker complaints in the 900E thread.
post #93 of 118 Old 09-07-2017, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I wonder what is going on there, I have seen no flicker complaints in the 900E thread.
"The backlight does use PWM to dim, but only at very low backlight levels. It flickers at a relatively high frequency of 720 Hz so content appears quite smooth."
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e
MSM99 likes this.

post #94 of 118 Old 09-09-2017, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just received my 65" x850e. Haven't done much with it but unpack, inspect and mount. Played with android TV for a bit, a bit annoyed to find out there's no spectrum app for it. Overall I am pleased with my brief time with it so far.
post #95 of 118 Old 09-09-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davintt View Post
Just received my 65" x850e. Haven't done much with it but unpack, inspect and mount. Played with android TV for a bit, a bit annoyed to find out there's no spectrum app for it. Overall I am pleased with my brief time with it so far.
Good to hear. I have the same one and liking it so far

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
post #96 of 118 Old 09-10-2017, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my 65 x850e. It was on sale for $800 off here on costco.ca, making it almost the same price as the full USD price!

Anyway, I'm watching some upscaled 1080P content, and noticing a lot of vertical black lines. I'm new to 4K, IPS/VA panels, etc. Is this normal? I'm coming from a still-in-use Sony 60" EX700, and a 46" EX500 in my bedroom, so I'm not sure if it's something of concern, or an issue. Pics won't attach for some reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 7.58.35 PM.png
Views:	79
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	2280732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 7.59.19 PM.png
Views:	79
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	2280734  

Last edited by th3canad1an; 09-10-2017 at 03:59 PM. Reason: didn't attach images
post #97 of 118 Old 09-10-2017, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
800 for 65"? Sony x850e? What a deal?!

Inviato dal mio EVA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk
post #98 of 118 Old 09-10-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by febiuzz View Post
800 for 65"? Sony x850e? What a deal?!

$800 off
post #99 of 118 Old 09-10-2017, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Nice

post #100 of 118 Old 09-13-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3canad1an View Post
I just got my 65 x850e. It was on sale for $800 off here on costco.ca, making it almost the same price as the full USD price!

Anyway, I'm watching some upscaled 1080P content, and noticing a lot of vertical black lines. I'm new to 4K, IPS/VA panels, etc. Is this normal? I'm coming from a still-in-use Sony 60" EX700, and a 46" EX500 in my bedroom, so I'm not sure if it's something of concern, or an issue. Pics won't attach for some reason.
Update: Went to Best Buy 2 days ago, where they have the 65" 850E on display. No signs of the vertical black lines I'm seeing on mine. None of the sales dudes had heard/seen such an issue, so I called Costco, and they're sending a new TV in exchange for the one I received on Friday. Here's to hoping this time is the charm!
post #101 of 118 Old 09-13-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
. Here's to hoping this time is the charm!
Good luck!

Just to get a quick clarification about the picture settings...

Brightness is the backlight and contrast is the brightness, right?

I've had the contrast up to 90 or 100 and notice my eyes hurting a bit in a dark room. I just pulled it down to 50 and he image still retains good black levels, colors look a little muted, but overall it seems to have just tone the SUN down, haha.
post #102 of 118 Old 09-14-2017, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiuh View Post
Good luck!

Just to get a quick clarification about the picture settings...

Brightness is the backlight and contrast is the brightness, right?

I've had the contrast up to 90 or 100 and notice my eyes hurting a bit in a dark room. I just pulled it down to 50 and he image still retains good black levels, colors look a little muted, but overall it seems to have just tone the SUN down, haha.
I just used their settings since I'm in my dark-ish basement: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850e/settings
post #103 of 118 Old 09-14-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I just used their settings since I'm in my dark-ish basement: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850e/settings
I had to adjust quite a few settings from their guide. When watching anything streaming, I usually enable everything in the clarity menu to auto. I bring the sharpness down to 20 for all types of media, even bluray or gaming. I also use 70 instead of 50 for color.

Finally, I had to seriously lower the contrast down to 50 or 60. 90's just far too bright for me and I don't seem to lose much detail.
post #104 of 118 Old 09-15-2017, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just returned my 850d, and was looking to purchase the 850E because it seems like some of the things that I was having issues with have been fixed.

Does the 850E remote have to be pointed directly at the TV sensor or have they upgraded that?

Also, does anyone have any apps that force close "launcher or other" when playing console games?

also, I saw someone mention that there are issues with Optical Audio Out? Can someone elaborate on this, this is how my receiver is connected because it doesn't support ARC.

TIA

Last edited by elijahblake; 09-15-2017 at 05:57 AM.
post #105 of 118 Old 09-16-2017, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs down

Hello, long time account holder, long time since I posted.

So it is known that Windows 10 Creators Update has completely broken HDR between WDDM, nVidia drivers, and the Microsoft HDR on/off switch now present in display.

Can anybody get this to output 10-bit color as an option in nVidia control panel? Even with the rolled back drivers, I only see 8-bit as an option. However, after enabled Enhanced mode in the TV's settings, it now has RGB as an output and detects 3840x2160p as its native resolution.

I have to force color to HDR10 on this TV to get proper HDR on my 1080Ti as of now. Oddly enough, when games like Mass Effect Andromeda start up, IMMEDIATELY it detects HDR and kicks it into a muted HDR mode (I'm assuming 8-bit color spectrum)

Furthermore there are conflicts in the nVidia control panel - using something like digital vibrance, at 0%, the screen looks greyscale.

Anyone have any insight? I'm sad this thread is so short, this is a great set so far... just wanna dial in HDR and I'm happy as can be.

All post-processing off and picture mode set to Game is the sweet spot for the X850E
post #106 of 118 Old 09-21-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isn700 View Post
Hi there. Just got this tv. Can anyone tell me the best settings for the tv.
I usually go with backlight 0, contrast 33 to 85 depending on light in the room and content, usually leave gamma and black level alone unless contrast is 33 and the image's too light, then I'll back down both a touch.

As for color, I usually have that set to 60-75 depending on content, warm for movies, neutral for games, and live color on low.

For clarity, I have sharpness to 20, the others almost always on auto except for low on gradient.

Motion's standard for sports and true cinema for movies and most shows. Off for games.

I use cinema home for most stuff and game for games to reduce input lag.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddvette9 View Post
Is the IPS panel hate a marketing thing...Any idea why Sony did an IPS for the 75" and VA for all of their other TVs.
The 65" VA I have now can be tough to watch from an angle. I pretty much have to be dead center or I'll see shifting in color, brightness, contrast, black levels, etc.

A 75" would be a massive TV and would make the angles very, very narrow. Perhaps they assume a 75" would be for lots off people around a large angle, making the superior viewing angles of an IPS the way to go.

I LOVE IPS, I really do. It's perfect for the iPhone, iPad, and Macbook Pro I have because I'm almost always looking @ an off angle, usually vertical. I don't care too much about deep blacks because I typicalaly only do a little hulu watching and d no serious gaming or movie watching.

That said, I would never, never want to plump my butt on the comfy chair and watch a movie or play a game that thinks grey is black. VA for movies unless you can OLED it up.

You might find some differing opinions here, so maybe try to find a magnolia best buy or high end store to demo in a dark room the differences. I have a blackout curtain, blinds, and annother curtain after that with only a bit of bias light behind the TV, so it's pretty dark. The blacks on this panel look fantastic. I'm certain I would be botyhered by the lighter IPS.

Also, here's a few fun pictures of my recent warranty...

They replaced a 55x810c with this 65x850e for an upgrade fee (I wasn't going to accept their offer to replace the 810 wwith an 800e which is only 60hz and an IPS). So they sent me tthis:

Lovely "new" box...yeah right...obvious, refurb is obvious:
https://i.imgur.com/b36twGG.jpg

Hmm...
https://i.imgur.com/1fXzoHx.jpg

Something seems off...
https://i.imgur.com/P02y8Uf.jpg

After much figthing with their warranty support, I got a new TV:
https://i.imgur.com/divYkTt.jpg

Sick, sick, sick blacklight!!!
https://i.imgur.com/u6Bxt2V.jpg

Yea!!!
*throws popcorn in the air*

post #107 of 118 Old 09-24-2017, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Hello,

Joining the group, as I am planning to purchase a XBR75X850E. I currently have the XBR-70X-850B, which I was able to sell it to a friend of mine, so saving the money to purchase the new model. My main concern is HDR. Is it worth it going from a SDR TV to HDR TV? Also, what about Dolby Vision? I saw in the thread that the TV does not support, but are there any plans from Sony to upgrade the firmware to add it? If not, is it worth buying a TV with DV? Thanks!
post #108 of 118 Old 09-26-2017, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelolucas View Post
...I am planning to purchase a XBR75X850E...My main concern is HDR. Is it worth it going from a SDR TV to HDR TV?
1. I'm sure you're aware, but the 75" uses an IPS display vs the VA in the 65". So you'll have much better viewing angles, but much worse black levels. That said, this will come down to personal preference as your needs may be different then mine (single seat, centered.)

2. HDR's a bit of a two edged sword for me. Rtings and some other folks noted a much dimmer HDR experience on the 850E vs the 9XX series. However, I can barely handle watching anything @ max backlight/contrast, etc as it's like a Sun blazing into my eyes. Even if I bring down the backlight to 25 from 50 and contrast from 90 to 80, it's till quite impressive...depending on the content.

Forza 7's demo and Planet Earth II...WWWOOOOOWWWWWW (in Kramer's voice)

Last edited by jodiuh; 09-29-2017 at 11:51 PM.
post #109 of 118 Old 09-29-2017, 01:05 PM

Some HDR Questions:

-Does the Amazon app on the TV support HDR? I have watched some content labeled as HDR, but it sure doesn't look like it.

-How do you know if HDR content is actually playing. Is there some menu item I can check.

The only content I have found so far that looks like actual HDR is the demos on YouTube via ChromeCast Ultra...
post #110 of 118 Old 09-29-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpilot View Post
Some HDR Questions:

-Does the Amazon app on the TV support HDR? I have watched some content labeled as HDR, but it sure doesn't look like it.

-How do you know if HDR content is actually playing. Is there some menu item I can check.

The only content I have found so far that looks like actual HDR is the demos on YouTube via ChromeCast Ultra...
Not sure. The amazon app doesn't work for me. The video freezes and pauses, it never remembers the resume position, and if it's paused for more than five minutes, it will just go back to the main screen. I have no such problems on Xbox One S.

When I'm watching Planet Earth II or playing Forza 7's demo, the picture settings on the right side says HDR @ the top. You might have to change the inputs to extended or something similar on the TV or your receiverr.
post #111 of 118 Old 10-03-2017, 10:04 PM

I just bought this TV. I upgraded from a 7 year old Mitsubishi DLP that was showing it's age. I originally bought a Samsung 55" 6290 but felt it was too small and really wanted a 65" panel. I like the TV, and even though I have used Android TV before via the ASUS box I haven't used it a lot. It will take some getting use. I do think the Tizen interface on the Samsung units is cleaner.

I think the TV is really the best value I could see at the 1400-1500 price point. I thought about putting a little more into the purchase and going with a Samsung 8000 series panel but the sidekick they call a connection box (what a terrible design) made it that much easier to spend less money and get the Sony.

As most of the reviews have said, calibration is pretty close out of the box. Just some minor changes. 4K upconverting on HDMI ports 2-4 is really nice. I use a TiVo OTA box for locals (don't watch much in the way of cable stations) and I was pleasantly surprised as how well the PQ looked post processing. There is the slightest amount if judder but I can't tell if that's actually there or just me now use to watching 4K content. I haven't had a chance to see what a Blu-Ray looks like yet, but that's next. Still waiting for football this weekend too. I'm sure both will look great.

I will say that the Sony rep at BB wasn't up to date with info. Having used the Samsung I liked the ability to use my phone as the remote and not loose functions from the remote. He told me Sony didn't have a soft remote. He was wrong. I debated in the store for some time on this issue. The soft remote is very nice and have full functionality.

When I came here looking for into after the unboxing I was surprised to only see 4 pages of posts. Maybe we'll get more as the price point drops on this set.
post #112 of 118 Old 10-04-2017, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 22
New firmware available on Sony support site.
Wasn't available through update menu on my TV just yet so I downloaded it and put it on a thumb drive. It was released yesterday, October 3rd, has a build date of September 11th and only has the July security patch. Many of the items listed in the update were also in the last update.

The section below provides a list of benefits provided by previous updates and included in the latest System Software Update.

-Adds support for the Amazon Alexa app that runs on Amazon Echo devicesResolves an issue where optical digital sound sometimes stops
-Resolves an issue where the TV speakers and the sound from the PS4 controller are out of sync
-Resolves an issue where frame drops occur and the AV is out of sync when playing 4K HDR 60fps content
-Adds support for the A2DP Bluetooth profile
-Adds support for PIP (Picture-in-Picture) while using an app (watch TV in a small window while using an Android TV app)
-Adds support for Hybrid Log-Gamma HDR content via HDMI and USB/Home network
-Improves the Settings screen to support changing settings while viewing TV (some exceptions may apply)
-Adds support for task-switching (switch between previously used apps and the current app by holding down the HOME button on your remote until the task-switching menu appears)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #113 of 118 Old 10-05-2017, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandingo View Post
New firmware available on Sony support site.
Wasn't available through update menu on my TV just yet so I downloaded it and put it on a thumb drive. It was released yesterday, October 3rd, has a build date of September 11th and only has the July security patch. Many of the items listed in the update were also in the last update.

The section below provides a list of benefits provided by previous updates and included in the latest System Software Update.

-Adds support for the Amazon Alexa app that runs on Amazon Echo devicesResolves an issue where optical digital sound sometimes stops
-Resolves an issue where the TV speakers and the sound from the PS4 controller are out of sync
-Resolves an issue where frame drops occur and the AV is out of sync when playing 4K HDR 60fps content
-Adds support for the A2DP Bluetooth profile
-Adds support for PIP (Picture-in-Picture) while using an app (watch TV in a small window while using an Android TV app)
-Adds support for Hybrid Log-Gamma HDR content via HDMI and USB/Home network
-Improves the Settings screen to support changing settings while viewing TV (some exceptions may apply)
-Adds support for task-switching (switch between previously used apps and the current app by holding down the HOME button on your remote until the task-switching menu appears)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Does PQ look different or the same?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
post #114 of 118 Old 10-06-2017, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog510 View Post
Does PQ look different or the same?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
The same, nothing was listed in release notes in regards to PQ so this isn't a shock.
post #115 of 118 Old 10-06-2017, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddvette9 View Post
Can anyone comment as to how much of a drop-off in overall image quality and contrast and brightness the 75 inch version of this TV. Is the IPS panel hate a marketing thing or is the 75" version of the 850e substantially worse than its smaller versions that have the VA panel.

Any idea why Sony did an IPS for the 75" and VA for all of their other TVs.
I have the same question, as I want a 75", and deciding between this and the Vizio M series.
post #116 of 118 Old 10-07-2017, 04:20 PM

Is anyone else seeing judder when using an Android TV steaming app? I was watching the Miami v FSU game via Sling and it was really noticable. I switched to the Sling app on Roku and it looks fine.
post #117 of 118 Old 10-15-2017, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

I am looking for a simple surround sound setup. Nothing too fancy, it's a small living room. I remember reading, although I cannot find it now, that the audio passthrough on the x850e may be limited? I noticed someone in this thread said they had a problem with audio passthrough as well.

I have a PS4, Wii U and gaming PC that I need to connect. Possibly soon an Xbox One X. Giving this info just in case particular receivers won't work too well with something.

I was hoping for a 5.1 setup, as the livingroom is prewired for one.

What are my options to spend < $500 and have a full setup with no issues? Or what other options do you recommend?
post #118 of 118 Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
I am looking for a simple surround sound setup. Nothing too fancy, it's a small living room. I remember reading, although I cannot find it now, that the audio passthrough on the x850e may be limited? I noticed someone in this thread said they had a problem with audio passthrough as well.

I have a PS4, Wii U and gaming PC that I need to connect. Possibly soon an Xbox One X. Giving this info just in case particular receivers won't work too well with something.

I was hoping for a 5.1 setup, as the livingroom is prewired for one.

What are my options to spend < $500 and have a full setup with no issues? Or what other options do you recommend?
This is what I'm currently looking at getting... STR-DN1080
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page