Official 2017 Vizio M Series Owners Thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 222Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #421 of 1084 Old 08-16-2017, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 2,288
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Hey guys, I'm looking again at this model for my son's birthday...is it good for gaming?
Cam1977 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #422 of 1084 Old 08-16-2017, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Israel
Posts: 1,640
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 904
@Cam1977

It's ok, not great. It has 38ms input lag in Game Mode and it only has a 60Hz panel, but other than that motion is fine.
And it's great for HDR content.
Cam1977 likes this.

HCFR 3.4.4 | Git branch
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings
Vizio M55-C2 | T95N with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
The Coolest is online now  
post #423 of 1084 Old 08-17-2017, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 2,288
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
@Cam1977

It's ok, not great. It has 38ms input lag in Game Mode and it only has a 60Hz panel, but other than that motion is fine.
And it's great for HDR content.
Thanks...I kinda now regret getting the mu8000...I might just give my son that one and take the vizio for my room lol! But just in case does everyone actually use the game mode or stick to one of the presets like calibrated...thanks again @ The Coolest.
Cam1977 is online now  
 
post #424 of 1084 Old 08-17-2017, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Israel
Posts: 1,640
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 904
@Cam1977

You'd want game mode turned on for gaming, and you can turn it on/off no matter what picture mode you're on.
I don't use game mode on my displays for normal viewing, I don't really use it at all, because I don't game on my displays.
Cam1977 likes this.

HCFR 3.4.4 | Git branch
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings
Vizio M55-C2 | T95N with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
The Coolest is online now  
post #425 of 1084 Old 08-17-2017, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 2,288
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
@Cam1977

You'd want game mode turned on for gaming, and you can turn it on/off no matter what picture mode you're on.
I don't use game mode on my displays for normal viewing, I don't really use it at all, because I don't game on my displays.
Ok makes sense, lol just want my boy to get the best out of it...he's the gamer!
Cam1977 is online now  
post #426 of 1084 Old 08-17-2017, 04:18 AM
Member
 
rdh86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Ok makes sense, lol just want my boy to get the best out of it...he's the gamer!
I think it depends on the games he plays and what he is used to playing on. My last tv had terrible input lag but I only really played sports(NHL) games on it so I didn't even really notice. Then I picked up Call of Duty one year and couldn't understand how people were killing me before I could see them lol. Ended up hooking my ps4 up to my computer monitor and it was just... night and day. I could never play any online FPS on my tv now. But for games like fallout or any sort of offline games it should be fine. Even online is fine if he's used to a bit of input lag.
rdh86 is offline  
post #427 of 1084 Old 08-17-2017, 07:03 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdh86 View Post
I think it depends on the games he plays and what he is used to playing on. My last tv had terrible input lag but I only really played sports(NHL) games on it so I didn't even really notice. Then I picked up Call of Duty one year and couldn't understand how people were killing me before I could see them lol. Ended up hooking my ps4 up to my computer monitor and it was just... night and day. I could never play any online FPS on my tv now. But for games like fallout or any sort of offline games it should be fine. Even online is fine if he's used to a bit of input lag.
A little confused with the the rating for the m 2017 at rings.com for the HDR movies. The P series has a rating of 8.4 for HDR movies while the M series 2017 has a rating of 7.7. When you look at the individual tests for HDR peak brightness, to me it appears that the m-series does a better job in handling highlights the the p series. in a 10% windows the m-series can hit 793 nits while the P-series only can hit 435nits. Am i missing something, I really want to make sure I have the better TV for HDR as most of my viewing is HDR on Netflix. My M-series has some pixel problem on the lower right so Costco told me to return it and order an other. The p series i on sale for a couple of weeks. Just wondering what to do???? keep the m or upgrade to P.

Nick
alaman64 is offline  
post #428 of 1084 Old 08-17-2017, 07:30 AM
Member
 
rdh86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaman64 View Post
A little confused with the the rating for the m 2017 at rings.com for the HDR movies. The P series has a rating of 8.4 for HDR movies while the M series 2017 has a rating of 7.7. When you look at the individual tests for HDR peak brightness, to me it appears that the m-series does a better job in handling highlights the the p series. in a 10% windows the m-series can hit 793 nits while the P-series only can hit 435nits. Am i missing something, I really want to make sure I have the better TV for HDR as most of my viewing is HDR on Netflix. My M-series has some pixel problem on the lower right so Costco told me to return it and order an other. The p series i on sale for a couple of weeks. Just wondering what to do???? keep the m or upgrade to P.

Nick
Sorry i'm not able to answer to the difference in ratings between the two. I was however in a similar situation as you, to me it came down to the 65" 2017 M series or the 55" 2016 p series. In the end I went with M... though my decision was made for me as it was the only one they had in stock at the time lol. Having said that though i'm extremely happy with the tv I chose.
rdh86 is offline  
post #429 of 1084 Old 08-17-2017, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaman64 View Post
A little confused with the the rating for the m 2017 at rings.com for the HDR movies. The P series has a rating of 8.4 for HDR movies while the M series 2017 has a rating of 7.7. When you look at the individual tests for HDR peak brightness, to me it appears that the m-series does a better job in handling highlights the the p series. in a 10% windows the m-series can hit 793 nits while the P-series only can hit 435nits. Am i missing something, I really want to make sure I have the better TV for HDR as most of my viewing is HDR on Netflix. My M-series has some pixel problem on the lower right so Costco told me to return it and order an other. The p series i on sale for a couple of weeks. Just wondering what to do???? keep the m or upgrade to P.

Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdh86 View Post
Sorry i'm not able to answer to the difference in ratings between the two. I was however in a similar situation as you, to me it came down to the 65" 2017 M series or the 55" 2016 p series. In the end I went with M... though my decision was made for me as it was the only one they had in stock at the time lol. Having said that though i'm extremely happy with the tv I chose.
It's simply the FALD zone count. 128 zones on the '16/'17 P vs. 32 zones on the '17 M. More zones = better HDR detail and nuances. The only reason that the 2017 M rates better at HDR than the 2016 M is because it get's brighter. Otherwise the '16 M would run circles around the '17 version.

Although it might cost a bit more, I would jump on the P.

LG OLED65C7P | VIZIO M70-D3
PIONEER ELITE VSX-90 | APPLETV 4K | SAMSUNG K8500
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.3.18.1:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post54599532
sonoftumble is offline  
post #430 of 1084 Old 08-17-2017, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Israel
Posts: 1,640
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
It's simply the FALD zone count. 128 zones on the '16/'17 P vs. 32 zones on the '17 M. More zones = better HDR detail and nuances. The only reason that the 2017 M rates better at HDR than the 2016 M is because it get's brighter. Otherwise the '16 M would run circles around the '17 version.

Although it might cost a bit more, I would jump on the P.
That's not the only reason. The 2017 model also has WCG, which is quite important for HDR. The 2016 M series can barely cover REC.709.
I'd get a 2017 over a 2016 in a heartbeat, even with the lower zone count. The only reason I can see for choosing the 2016 today is for gamers who want 1080P @ 120Hz and very low input lags.

HCFR 3.4.4 | Git branch
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings
Vizio M55-C2 | T95N with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
The Coolest is online now  
post #431 of 1084 Old 08-17-2017, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
That's not the only reason. The 2017 model also has WCG, which is quite important for HDR. The 2016 M series can barely cover REC.709.
I'd get a 2017 over a 2016 in a heartbeat, even with the lower zone count. The only reason I can see for choosing the 2016 today is for gamers who want 1080P @ 120Hz and very low input lags.
When comparing the 2016/17 P vs. the 2017 M, and with all things being relatively equal, the only reason the P scored higher was due to having 4x the dimming zones. I shouldn't have mentioned the 2016 M, but if the 2017 M's zone count was the same as the 2016, the 2017's HDR and overall PQ score would have been better.

LG OLED65C7P | VIZIO M70-D3
PIONEER ELITE VSX-90 | APPLETV 4K | SAMSUNG K8500
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.3.18.1:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post54599532
sonoftumble is offline  
post #432 of 1084 Old 08-17-2017, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Israel
Posts: 1,640
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Yes, I agree with that.
sonoftumble likes this.

HCFR 3.4.4 | Git branch
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings
Vizio M55-C2 | T95N with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
The Coolest is online now  
post #433 of 1084 Old 08-17-2017, 11:31 AM
Newbie
 
chollas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I picked up an M65 E0 on the weekend as an impulse buy with football season around the corner. I have to say after spending some time with the set, I'm just not impressed. The off axis viewing is pretty terrible, I have gotten used to being able to watch something while not being sat directly in front of the TV. This set seems to begin washing out at anything over 45 degrees to the display.

The 4k UHD Netflix looks incredible.. but HDTV through my cable provider (shaw cable) is really just bleh. I tried the settings listed at Rtings and I thought they gave the set an overall yellowish tone. Everyone on screen looked jaundiced. I ended up using the built in Calibrated setting with a few tweaks to the color and contrast.
Sound quality form this set is seriously horrible. anyone who is even considering this set should budget a soundbar no exceptions. The build in speaker is that bad. What I am hoping to do is find a Visio SB2820n-E0 locally and see if i can mount it behind the upper half of the TV on a wall mount... there should be enough space up there for a 3x3x28" bar. That being said, if i cant get a basic soundbar to work without having to use a separate remote for it, that project will be a non starter.

Coming from an 8 year old Samsung PN50C6400 Plasma (which really isn't that great of a TV) are my expectations for a Low-mid range 4k set are just too high?
chollas is offline  
post #434 of 1084 Old 08-17-2017, 12:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollas View Post
I picked up an M65 E0 on the weekend as an impulse buy with football season around the corner. I have to say after spending some time with the set, I'm just not impressed. The off axis viewing is pretty terrible, I have gotten used to being able to watch something while not being sat directly in front of the TV. This set seems to begin washing out at anything over 45 degrees to the display.

The 4k UHD Netflix looks incredible.. but HDTV through my cable provider (shaw cable) is really just bleh. I tried the settings listed at Rtings and I thought they gave the set an overall yellowish tone. Everyone on screen looked jaundiced. I ended up using the built in Calibrated setting with a few tweaks to the color and contrast.
Sound quality form this set is seriously horrible. anyone who is even considering this set should budget a soundbar no exceptions. The build in speaker is that bad. What I am hoping to do is find a Visio SB2820n-E0 locally and see if i can mount it behind the upper half of the TV on a wall mount... there should be enough space up there for a 3x3x28" bar. That being said, if i cant get a basic soundbar to work without having to use a separate remote for it, that project will be a non starter.

Coming from an 8 year old Samsung PN50C6400 Plasma (which really isn't that great of a TV) are my expectations for a Low-mid range 4k set are just too high?
I would say a little research goes a long way. If you want wide viewing angles then IPS panel would be better but you will get a lower contrast than a VA panel. I'm not familiar with Shaw cable just because they offer HD they still use compression what I noticed with Comcast is some channels look better than others.

I have a Vizio smartcast sound bar and I can control it with the TV remote if I wanted but I prefer to use the Vizio app to control everything. I completely agree the sound from the TV speakers is not very good, but I knew that before I got it so I factored a sound bar in my purchase.
tdsbigo is offline  
post #435 of 1084 Old 08-17-2017, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
It's simply the FALD zone count. 128 zones on the '16/'17 P vs. 32 zones on the '17 M. More zones = better HDR detail and nuances. The only reason that the 2017 M rates better at HDR than the 2016 M is because it get's brighter. Otherwise the '16 M would run circles around the '17 version.

Although it might cost a bit more, I would jump on the P.
That's not the only reason. The 2017 model also has WCG, which is quite important for HDR. The 2016 M series can barely cover REC.709.
I'd get a 2017 over a 2016 in a heartbeat, even with the lower zone count. The only reason I can see for choosing the 2016 today is for gamers who want 1080P @ 120Hz and very low input lags.
I agree and would add only if getting the 16 M in 60 inch or above for gamers. 50 16 M has 32 zones and 60Hz 55 has 64 zones and 60Hz I don't see any reason to choose the 16 over the 17 in these sizes.
tdsbigo is offline  
post #436 of 1084 Old 08-17-2017, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 2,288
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdsbigo View Post
I would say a little research goes a long way. If you want wide viewing angles then IPS panel would be better but you will get a lower contrast than a VA panel. I'm not familiar with Shaw cable just because they offer HD they still use compression what I noticed with Comcast is some channels look better than others.

I have a Vizio smartcast sound bar and I can control it with the TV remote if I wanted but I prefer to use the Vizio app to control everything. I completely agree the sound from the TV speakers is not very good, but I knew that before I got it so I factored a sound bar in my purchase.
^^^this. I really believe at that price point it's hard to beat the 2017, plus the past few posts you see members on here claiming their sets pq has improved and that's a great thing.
sonoftumble likes this.
Cam1977 is online now  
post #437 of 1084 Old 08-17-2017, 05:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollas View Post
I picked up an M65 E0 on the weekend as an impulse buy with football season around the corner. I have to say after spending some time with the set, I'm just not impressed. The off axis viewing is pretty terrible, I have gotten used to being able to watch something while not being sat directly in front of the TV. This set seems to begin washing out at anything over 45 degrees to the display.

The 4k UHD Netflix looks incredible.. but HDTV through my cable provider (shaw cable) is really just bleh. I tried the settings listed at Rtings and I thought they gave the set an overall yellowish tone. Everyone on screen looked jaundiced. I ended up using the built in Calibrated setting with a few tweaks to the color and contrast.
Sound quality form this set is seriously horrible. anyone who is even considering this set should budget a soundbar no exceptions. The build in speaker is that bad. What I am hoping to do is find a Visio SB2820n-E0 locally and see if i can mount it behind the upper half of the TV on a wall mount... there should be enough space up there for a 3x3x28" bar. That being said, if i cant get a basic soundbar to work without having to use a separate remote for it, that project will be a non starter.

Coming from an 8 year old Samsung PN50C6400 Plasma (which really isn't that great of a TV) are my expectations for a Low-mid range 4k set are just too high?
I came from a 9 year old Panasonic plasma and I can speak to some of your concerns.


First off, the viewing angles are awful. Easily my biggest (and really, only remaining) problem with the tv. To make matters worse, my living room is small so it's exaggerated for me. Nothing you can do, really.


Secondly, yeah, the speakers are worse than I could have imagined. That said, I picked up the latest 28inch 2.0 Vizio soundbar (SB2820n-E0) for $78 and am surprisingly happy with how it sounds and works so seamlessly. I've always been very against soundbars, but in my current situation (apartment), it makes a lot of sense. I run the optical audio cable into the soundbar from the TV and everything syncs up perfectly with zero setup on my behalf. My tv remote and xfinity cable remote both control the volume and I didn't have to do anything to make that work. All I did was go into the tv menu and turn off the tv speakers so I don't ever have to hear them again.


Finally... picture quality. Like you, I thought a solid 1080p source (streaming or blu ray) looked fantastic and cable (Xfinity for me) looked terrible. It was so bad that I was ready to take the TV back. But then, there was an update to the TV and without me even knowing about it, cable looked A LOT better. Go back a page in this thread and I'm sure you can find the exact firmware version number, but needless to say, it made a massive difference. Cable is still the weakest source I have, but I can't complain with how it looks on this tv anymore. I'm happy.
sonoftumble likes this.
ak2112 2 is offline  
post #438 of 1084 Old 08-17-2017, 06:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaman64 View Post
A little confused with the the rating for the m 2017 at rings.com for the HDR movies. The P series has a rating of 8.4 for HDR movies while the M series 2017 has a rating of 7.7. When you look at the individual tests for HDR peak brightness, to me it appears that the m-series does a better job in handling highlights the the p series. in a 10% windows the m-series can hit 793 nits while the P-series only can hit 435nits. Am i missing something, I really want to make sure I have the better TV for HDR as most of my viewing is HDR on Netflix. My M-series has some pixel problem on the lower right so Costco told me to return it and order an other. The p series i on sale for a couple of weeks. Just wondering what to do???? keep the m or upgrade to P.

Nick
Upgrade to P, you won't regret. Even if it is P55 which has IPS panel.
M is good but it still missing the finesse.
My online order of P55 came with broken screen.
I returned that and bought M55 from store directly, now I have a regret of not ordering P series again.
sonoftumble likes this.
him7403 is offline  
post #439 of 1084 Old 08-17-2017, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2112 2 View Post
I came from a 9 year old Panasonic plasma and I can speak to some of your concerns.


First off, the viewing angles are awful. Easily my biggest (and really, only remaining) problem with the tv. To make matters worse, my living room is small so it's exaggerated for me. Nothing you can do, really.


Secondly, yeah, the speakers are worse than I could have imagined. That said, I picked up the latest 28inch 2.0 Vizio soundbar (SB2820n-E0) for $78 and am surprisingly happy with how it sounds and works so seamlessly. I've always been very against soundbars, but in my current situation (apartment), it makes a lot of sense. I run the optical audio cable into the soundbar from the TV and everything syncs up perfectly with zero setup on my behalf. My tv remote and xfinity cable remote both control the volume and I didn't have to do anything to make that work. All I did was go into the tv menu and turn off the tv speakers so I don't ever have to hear them again.


Finally... picture quality. Like you, I thought a solid 1080p source (streaming or blu ray) looked fantastic and cable (Xfinity for me) looked terrible. It was so bad that I was ready to take the TV back. But then, there was an update to the TV and without me even knowing about it, cable looked A LOT better. Go back a page in this thread and I'm sure you can find the exact firmware version number, but needless to say, it made a massive difference. Cable is still the weakest source I have, but I can't complain with how it looks on this tv anymore. I'm happy.
You received the coveted FW vers. 3.3.18.1!! It looks like it came just in time or that TV would have been a goner. Among many cool things, the PQ has been drastically improved across the board- SDR, HDR, WCG, - lower res craptastic sat/cable sources - everything is much better. Enjoy!

LG OLED65C7P | VIZIO M70-D3
PIONEER ELITE VSX-90 | APPLETV 4K | SAMSUNG K8500
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.3.18.1:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post54599532
sonoftumble is offline  
post #440 of 1084 Old 08-17-2017, 10:48 PM
Newbie
 
chollas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Secondly, yeah, the speakers are worse than I could have imagined. That said, I picked up the latest 28inch 2.0 Vizio soundbar (SB2820n-E0) for $78 and am surprisingly happy with how it sounds and works so seamlessly. I've always been very against soundbars, but in my current situation (apartment), it makes a lot of sense. I run the optical audio cable into the soundbar from the TV and everything syncs up perfectly with zero setup on my behalf. My tv remote and xfinity cable remote both control the volume and I didn't have to do anything to make that work. All I did was go into the tv menu and turn off the tv speakers so I don't ever have to hear them again.
Does your TV remote actually run the soundbar through line of sight or is it controlled by the TV volume? I really dont want to mount the soundbar anywhere i can see it.

Quote:
You received the coveted FW vers. 3.3.18.1!! It looks like it came just in time or that TV would have been a goner. Among many cool things, the PQ has been drastically improved across the board- SDR, HDR, WCG, - lower res craptastic sat/cable sources - everything is much better. Enjoy!
Just checked I'm on 3.3.18..
sonoftumble likes this.
chollas is offline  
post #441 of 1084 Old 08-17-2017, 11:11 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi,

Just got M70E3.

Does anybody know if this set is compatible with Vudu Dolby Vision yet?

Played a few 4K movies and the vision symbol is not highlighted.

Using roku ultra with TV. Thanks in advance.
matty12981 is offline  
post #442 of 1084 Old 08-17-2017, 11:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty12981 View Post
Hi,

Just got M70E3.

Does anybody know if this set is compatible with Vudu Dolby Vision yet?

Played a few 4K movies and the vision symbol is not highlighted.

Using roku ultra with TV. Thanks in advance.
Yes it is watched Ghost in the shell Dolby vision version on Vudu last night and got the Star trek beyond version that Vizio was giving free codes for. When your watching hit the info button on the TV remote the drop down should list it next to the resolution.
sonoftumble likes this.
tdsbigo is offline  
post #443 of 1084 Old 08-18-2017, 02:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Israel
Posts: 1,640
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty12981 View Post
Hi,

Just got M70E3.

Does anybody know if this set is compatible with Vudu Dolby Vision yet?

Played a few 4K movies and the vision symbol is not highlighted.

Using roku ultra with TV. Thanks in advance.
The Vizio supports DV just fine, but the Roku doesn't support Dolby Vision. Try casting it to the display, or if you have the latest firmware, with the on screen apps, use that.
danbfree and sonoftumble like this.

HCFR 3.4.4 | Git branch
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings
Vizio M55-C2 | T95N with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
The Coolest is online now  
post #444 of 1084 Old 08-18-2017, 04:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I completely missed the using Roku ultra my fault.
tdsbigo is offline  
post #445 of 1084 Old 08-18-2017, 09:26 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
The Vizio supports DV just fine, but the Roku doesn't support Dolby Vision. Try casting it to the display, or if you have the latest firmware, with the on screen apps, use that.
Thanks for the quick response.

That is a bummer the roku ultra does not support it.

Is there a set top box or Roku series that supports DV?

When you say cast, do you mean chromecast to tv? Thanks again for your help.
matty12981 is offline  
post #446 of 1084 Old 08-18-2017, 10:21 AM
Newbie
 
hiker02910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Using HDMI 2 input

Hi, great forum here! I've had my M65 E0 for a couple weeks (love it!), and have my Denon AVR feeding all my sources thru Vizio HDMI 1, including a XBOX 1S for UHD disk playback. Audio goes to an optical-in on the AVR. All works well, except my Roku Premiere+ was having awful dropout and handshake issues on the Vizio even through a premium HDMI cable. So, I bypassed that by plugging it directly into the Vizio's HDMI 2 port. I was under the impression that only HDMI 1 could be used for HDMI 4K HDR because of bandwidth limitations, but this seems to be working perfectly for me, with the Vizio detecting 4K HDR10 on its info screen for content from Amazon and YT encoded that way. I set the Roku to output 10-bit video (from its secret menu), instead of 12 bit, thereby using less bandwidth, since the TV is a 10 bit panel. Am I missing anything by doing this?

Last edited by hiker02910; 08-18-2017 at 10:26 AM.
hiker02910 is offline  
post #447 of 1084 Old 08-18-2017, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty12981 View Post
Thanks for the quick response.

That is a bummer the roku ultra does not support it.

Is there a set top box or Roku series that supports DV?

When you say cast, do you mean chromecast to tv? Thanks again for your help.
If the rumors hold up, the 5th Gen Apple TV should be the ticket. You literally won't need anything else. Here's the list of features that have been independently confirmed: 4K, DV & HDR-10, ( possibly HLG to boot ). Several snoops have discovered that Apple has been quietly upgrading their iTunes movie library with 4K/HDR titles. Apple is expected to introduce the new model next month ( Sep ). Apple already announced in June that Amazon will be part of the party.

LG OLED65C7P | VIZIO M70-D3
PIONEER ELITE VSX-90 | APPLETV 4K | SAMSUNG K8500
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.3.18.1:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post54599532
sonoftumble is offline  
post #448 of 1084 Old 08-18-2017, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker02910 View Post
. . . my Roku Premiere+ was having awful dropout and handshake issues on the Vizio even through a premium HDMI cable. So, I bypassed that by plugging it directly into the Vizio's HDMI 2 port. I was under the impression that only HDMI 1 could be used for HDMI 4K HDR because of bandwidth limitations, but this seems to be working perfectly for me, with the Vizio detecting 4K HDR10 on its info screen for content from Amazon and YT encoded that way. I set the Roku to output 10-bit video (from its secret menu), instead of 12 bit, thereby using less bandwidth, since the TV is a 10 bit panel. Am I missing anything by doing this?
Nope. You're not missing anything. What you did was essentially force the Roku to playback content in its original intended format; i.e. 4:2:0 or 4:2:2. In fact using the HDMI1 port allowed the Roku to upscale and upconvert the content to 4K 4:4:2 or 4:4:4 which combined with either 12 bit or 10 bit metadata exceeded HDMI 2.0's bandwidth which would explain the dropouts and other issues.

@danbfree is a member of the 2016 M thread. He has these great Roku setup recommendations: "Roku was setup as 60Hz AND HDR so when you toggled off subsampling on the display you disabled the capability to do both at once, it couldn't process that signal from the Roku... if you had then powered off Roku and back on, it would have connected at 4k@60Hz but no HDR... So if you actually want to run content in it's 24Hz native AND HDR you are actually better off using ports 2-4 and re-running the display setup on Roku. For some reason Roku doesn't allow forcing refresh, even in any secret menus so if you use port 1, you don't get the option for 24Hz, just 60Hz period, including HDR if subsampling/deep color is enabled, and regular 4k@60Hz no HDR if it's disabled."

EDIT: Here's a short read that better explains all this subsampling stuff and why/when you need it: http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling
wmarkw, hiker02910 and danbfree like this.

LG OLED65C7P | VIZIO M70-D3
PIONEER ELITE VSX-90 | APPLETV 4K | SAMSUNG K8500
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.3.18.1:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post54599532

Last edited by sonoftumble; 08-18-2017 at 10:51 AM.
sonoftumble is offline  
post #449 of 1084 Old 08-18-2017, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
danbfree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,394
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty12981 View Post
Thanks for the quick response.

That is a bummer the roku ultra does not support it.

Is there a set top box or Roku series that supports DV?

When you say cast, do you mean chromecast to tv? Thanks again for your help.
Does the '17 M series not have the built in "SmartCast" apps yet? Sorry I have a '16 model and am part of the Beta testers and have had built in apps for a few months now... But ya, right now no hardware player, other than maybe a super expensive Oppo UHD Blu Ray player that supports DV as far as I know... early on, there wasn't much difference, especially on the '16 model between the 2 formats, but with the '17 brighter and wider color gamut, it should help with the advantages that DV has over HDR10.

As an aside, I originally got used to casting from the tablet that was included then or my phone, but once the Beta built in apps and new remote came, I use that for DV content now, I like how it supports both formats, even if the menus are a bit slow and jerky I don't have to have separate devices for for HDR streaming... I still love my Shield for overall speed and video quality but to make sure I don't miss out on any HDR of either type, you can't beat the built in apps.
danbfree is offline  
post #450 of 1084 Old 08-18-2017, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
danbfree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,394
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking again at this model for my son's birthday...is it good for gaming?
Personally, I would take one of those new TCL P607's over Vizio for the mid range HDR market, they are simply cheaper and better in almost every way.
danbfree is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off