Close to my final decision, Please provide YOUR input! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Friendlys

post #1 of 21 Old 06-08-2017, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Talking Close to my final decision, Please provide YOUR input!

So I'm in the market for a new TV (first house is finally in contract!) and I would like a new TV for the great room. First of all I will be sitting approx 8-10 feet away from the TV most of the time and then frequently I will be standing approx 15-20ft from the TV while in the kitchen food prepping/making dinner/making shakes etc. When not on the couch the TV will be tilted/turned towards the kitchen for ambiance more or less. Budget is roughly $1500

I am leaning most heavily towards the Vizio M65-E0 (2017 M Model 65") and as it stands I can have it for close to $1,200 at this point in time.

I'm starting to look more and more at the Vizio E70-E3 as it gives 5 extra inches which is quite a bit and can be had for approx $200 more.

1. HDR Input Requested:

From what I understand, and this is where I would like everyone's help, is that with the M65 I am getting "full" HDR10/Dolby Vision while the E70 doesn't offer HDR. Would I like HDR? Sure, BUT I am not going to purchase anything HDR related for physical media (if thats even a thing, for example I won't be purchasing an HDR disc player or paying for physical movies etc.). Also to note, at the moment I have no set top box capable of playing HDR content (currently using AppleTV Gen 3, looking to upgrade at the end of this year).

So what I'm getting at is, while I'd love a fully capable HDR TV (the M65) I honestly don't know how much, if any, use I would get in terms of actually playing HDR content. What are your thoughts on this matter? Side note I own a PS4 but I don't think its capable of playing 4k movies is it? I think I read the Xbox One is? (I'll wait for news on the Scorpio anyways).

2. FLAD: I believe that both of these sets offer full array LED correct?

3. Local Dimming: The M series has 32 local dimming zones and the E has 16. Is this a hugely noticeable discrepancy?

4. Clear Action: I have no idea what this is but the M has 360 "Clear Action" while the E has 180 (half obviously) so what am I looking at here exactly?

Overall I would just like some input from those more experienced and knowledge than myself on these matters and specific TVs, I'm nearing the end of my research road and am itching to make that purchase, however with such a large important purchase that isn't exactly cheap I'd really like to be sure.

I fully appreciate you reading through this and being patient with me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-08-2017, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Get the 65"! First I had the 70" Ave sat approx the same distance 9'... I know it's tough to say but it was too big at that distance. The 65 will be PLENTY big enough and still give you good viewing from the kitchen and you have the benefits of having the HDR for streaming media should you ever decide to get into it. Plus it's cheaper. Just my 2 cent's from experience a very large TV sitting that close

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 21 Old 06-08-2017, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Vizio P Series 65" is $1600 at Costco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vizio P55-C1
Vizio SB4031-D5
DirecTV Genie
Apple TV 4
Panny TC-P60ST60
Yamaha RX-V373

post #4 of 21 Old 06-08-2017, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyus View Post
Vizio P Series 65" is $1600 at Costco

Yes I have seen that, but the M65 offers much of the same major wants that I have such as FLAD/HDMI 2.0a/offers HDR if I want it etc. And the leap from $1200 to $1600 is quite large for the same size screen, why are you mentioning the P here out of curiosity?
post #5 of 21 Old 06-08-2017, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAudiofan View Post
Get the 65"! First I had the 70" Ave sat approx the same distance 9'... I know it's tough to say but it was too big at that distance. The 65 will be PLENTY big enough and still give you good viewing from the kitchen and you have the benefits of having the HDR for streaming media should you ever decide to get into it. Plus it's cheaper. Just my 2 cent's from experience a very large TV sitting that close

Makes sense, I will say however that the TV is to be elevated above a fireplace and tilted down towards us, so it won't be at eye level unfortunately. I just... it sounds so intriguing to get a 70in! But I understand the M65" would be the "better" TV I'm just not sure its all that noticeable to the naked eye
post #6 of 21 Old 06-08-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctaylor88 View Post
Makes sense, I will say however that the TV is to be elevated above a fireplace and tilted down towards us, so it won't be at eye level unfortunately. I just... it sounds so intriguing to get a 70in! But I understand the M65" would be the "better" TV I'm just not sure its all that noticeable to the naked eye
I also had my 70 wall mounted and tilting down a bit, not over a fireplace but a bit higher than it should have been. I replaced my 70 with a KS8500 55" and to be honest the size of much better than the 70 at that distance. I would have preferred a 60" but I couldn't find one. You'll be very happy with the 65" as you are not replacing the 70 and going smaller.

post #7 of 21 Old 06-08-2017, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I also had my 70 wall mounted and tilting down a bit, not over a fireplace but a bit higher than it should have been. I replaced my 70 with a KS8500 55" and to be honest the size of much better than the 70 at that distance. I would have preferred a 60" but I couldn't find one. You'll be very happy with the 65" as you are not replacing the 70 and going smaller.

This is an interesting point of view I have not yet heard, thanks for the insight! Do you ever do 4K and/or HDR by chance? I'm a bit lost when it comes to those concepts as I haven't started the research yet. I won't be purchasing a 4K player as I don't do discs.
post #8 of 21 Old 06-08-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
This is an interesting point of view I have not yet heard, thanks for the insight! Do you ever do 4K and/or HDR by chance? I'm a bit lost when it comes to those concepts as I haven't started the research yet. I won't be purchasing a 4K player as I don't do discs.
I do steam 4k and HDR through Amazon and Netflix. I have not purchased a disc player yet and might not. I'm considering moving my 55" into the bedroom as soon as the new TCL 55" comes out as that TV will have both Dolby vision as well as HDR10 which my Samsung does not. I'm a huge Vudu user and they only Support Dolby vision. I used to be in the business of high end home theater sales in the South East as a manufacturer rep and believe me bigger isn't always better.

post #9 of 21 Old 06-08-2017, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I do steam 4k and HDR through Amazon and Netflix. I have not purchased a disc player yet and might not. I'm considering moving my 55" into the bedroom as soon as the new TCL 55" comes out as that TV will have both Dolby vision as well as HDR10 which my Samsung does not. I'm a huge Vudu user and they only Support Dolby vision. I used to be in the business of high end home theater sales in the South East as a manufacturer rep and believe me bigger isn't always better.

So I'm still leaning pretty heavily towards the 65" which offers HDR10/Dolby Vision and I have to ask, as far as Vudu this is only the second time I've ever heard of it.. is it a set-top streaming box? If so, how much is the subscription fee? What does it offer in terms of 4k and/or HDR?

This is also going to sound stupid, but I've never used 4k or HDR... how exactly am I getting the content on my TV? Does the streaming device need to be plugged into HDMI 2.0a?
post #10 of 21 Old 06-08-2017, 07:42 AM

It's not a stupid question at all. There is no subscription fee, it's sticky rental and purchasing of movies and TV shows. I'm opinion they do the best job of compressing the movies correctly so that they show up and look as close to the quality of a physical disc. This way I can buy movies and they reside on a server in the cloud so no matter where I am i can watch my content. With most smart TVs, especially Vizio the Vudu app is on the TV itself so no need for a separate box. The TV will do all of the decoding so you will get the 4k HDR without needing to do anything. Vudu is owned by Walmart and is pretty much always found on Vizio tvs. In fact you can even go into a Walmart with pretty much any DVD you already own and have it converted to digital and it will show up on you're Vudu account.

post #11 of 21 Old 06-08-2017, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It's not a stupid question at all. There is no subscription fee, it's sticky rental and purchasing of movies and TV shows. I'm opinion they do the best job of compressing the movies correctly so that they show up and look as close to the quality of a physical disc. This way I can buy movies and they reside on a server in the cloud so no matter where I am i can watch my content. With most smart TVs, especially Vizio the Vudu app is on the TV itself so no need for a separate box. The TV will do all of the decoding so you will get the 4k HDR without needing to do anything. Vudu is owned by Walmart and is pretty much always found on Vizio tvs. In fact you can even go into a Walmart with pretty much any DVD you already own and have it converted to digital and it will show up on you're Vudu account.

Hm this is interesting, so VUDU will more than likely already be on my TV, now I must ask there is no special hookup required for it for the highest definition of content right? (Just want to be sure). Browsing over the VUDU website I am only seeing SD and HDX which seems to still be streamed at only 1080 correct, so just better compression but not actual 4k?
post #12 of 21 Old 06-08-2017, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Mounting above the fireplace can cause issues. Even with gas logs the emissions can effect the circuit boards etc in your TV, DVD player, receiver etc.

Mounting above the TV looks great on the shows in HGTV but in reality do you really want your Tv setting that high.

I prefer mine on AV cabinet that is approx 32 to42 inches high.

Dave
post #13 of 21 Old 06-08-2017, 08:09 AM

There is no special connection you need, just have a high speed internet connection. Depending on what you are browsing g the website on it will show you a few titles that read UHD, these are 4k HDR.
post #14 of 21 Old 06-08-2017, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Hm this is interesting, so VUDU will more than likely already be on my TV, now I must ask there is no special hookup required for it for the highest definition of content right? (Just want to be sure). Browsing over the VUDU website I am only seeing SD and HDX which seems to still be streamed at only 1080 correct, so just better compression but not actual 4k?

It's definitly not Ideal, as many would tell you that the best placement would be your eye level should be approx at the bottom third of the screen. but many houses just don't accomodate that placement. And unless you are watching in a full theater with kickass surround sound, who really cares.
post #15 of 21 Old 06-08-2017, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Yes I have seen that, but the M65 offers much of the same major wants that I have such as FLAD/HDMI 2.0a/offers HDR if I want it etc. And the leap from $1200 to $1600 is quite large for the same size screen, why are you mentioning the P here out of curiosity?

I have no horse in this race. More zones better blacks. Depends on where you plan to use it (bright room/dark basement etc). Good luck!

Vizio P55-C1
Vizio SB4031-D5
DirecTV Genie
Apple TV 4
Panny TC-P60ST60
Yamaha RX-V373
post #16 of 21 Old 06-08-2017, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Because you said your budget was $1,500, so it's only $100 (and the difference in tax) over your budget. Also, the P65 is significantly superior to the M-series, so you're getting a much better TV for only $400 more. There's no way I'd pick the vastly inferior M-series when it's that close in price. It loses in brightness, light control, color gamut, color volume, having an 8-bit screen, etc.
post #17 of 21 Old 06-08-2017, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I second the vizio P as well. Its on a different level than the M series, and blows doors off E series. The extra zones, better colors, and higher brightness are worth the extra money.
post #18 of 21 Old 06-08-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
I second the vizio P as well. Its on a different level than the M series, and blows doors off E series. The extra zones, better colors, and higher brightness are worth the extra money.
Or wait a month or less and the new TCL55" 607, which is better than all of them and only $699. The 65" version will be out later this year.

post #19 of 21 Old 06-08-2017, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Or wait a month or less and the new TCL55" 607, which is better than all of them and only $699. The 65" version will be out later this year.

Nah the TCL wont be a better set than the vizio P. It'll come close and its a great value, but the P will have better colors and far superior local dimming given that its a year out and all the firmware updates. BTW i am likely going to buy the TCL, but the vizio P is an overall better TV.
post #20 of 21 Old 06-09-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
Nah the TCL wont be a better set than the vizio P. It'll come close and its a great value, but the P will have better colors and far superior local dimming given that its a year out and all the firmware updates. BTW i am likely going to buy the TCL, but the vizio P is an overall better TV.
I wouldn't necessarily disagree that is better, BUT is it worth the extra money? That I'm not so sure of.

post #21 of 21 Old 06-09-2017, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MythosSTS01 View Post
Quote:

It's definitly not Ideal, as many would tell you that the best placement would be your eye level should be approx at the bottom third of the screen. but many houses just don't accomodate that placement. And unless you are watching in a full theater with kickass surround sound, who really cares.
+1... I have mine above gas fireplace and have had zero issues. Tilting the screen downwards on the mount works. There is no way aesthetically I would put a tv in a corner of a room. Serious viewing done in a light controlled room (basement)...
NHAudiofan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page