*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 101 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3490Likes

post #3001 of 3334 Old 10-05-2017, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnySilver View Post
Exactly my thoughts. I dont think I read a single comment where someone named P607 as version with any issue. I cant decide if I should get BB version with GeekSquad warranty or Amazon version. Both options cost about same, BB seems to be bigger gamble, but can geeksquad warranty offset the risk?
There are comments with P607 panel issues as well. The P605 is more readily available than the P607 from Amazon, so they are likely many more people contributing to this forum that have the P605. These are the same sets, with the same specifications on the panel, with the difference being in the Enhanced Wifi Remote for the P607 and the Standard IR remote for the P605. Your panel lottery odds are just that, odds.

P605 owner here for 2 months now and quite pleased with the quality and performance for the price point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 3334 Old 10-05-2017, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuck82 View Post
I have the P605 and sometimes when my HDR kicks in on my Xbone S it’s washed out bad so I quit the game and close it out and go back into it until it shows the correct colors. Happens with different cables too. Seems like a software issue though. I’m currently using a premium monoprice hdmi cable. Wish I could figure out why it’s doing it. Doesn’t seem to do it with the built in apps just mainly through my Xbox. Both of these pics are same settings and HDR ON but they’re completely different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I've been consistently experiencing washed out HDR whenever I play Forza Horizon 3 and it never seems to get better. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided looks fine but not great, so I'll take that for now.
post #3003 of 3334 Old 10-05-2017, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
Have you tried the Optical Audio Cable just to troubleshoot and see if that works? I have seen others on this forum and another forum comment that since the latest firmware update that they are having issues with HDMI ARC connections to AVR receivers and had to connect Optical Audio to get sound. I know that is not your preference, but it may at least let you know it is specific to HDMI ARC on TCL TV.

I am using HDMI ARC from TCL TV to a Vizio 5.1 Soundbar with HDMI ARC support and it is working as expected. Not a good test subject here for HDMI ARC support to AVR Receiver.
I finally dug out my old optical cable and plugged it in. I left the HDMI cables in the TV and the Onkyo just for the hell of it. The sound has now come through the my Onkyo system. So leads me to believe that the firmware needs to be updated on the TCL or Onkyo.

post #3004 of 3334 Old 10-05-2017, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnySilver View Post
Exactly my thoughts. I dont think I read a single comment where someone named P607 as version with any issue. I cant decide if I should get BB version with GeekSquad warranty or Amazon version. Both options cost about same, BB seems to be bigger gamble, but can geeksquad warranty offset the risk?
not sure what you're talking about. most of the posts at the start of the thread was 607 then amazon went out of stock and BB started to stock the 605 and it was cheaper so you started to get more people buying that one. same issues.
theboomr and JohnySilver like this.
post #3005 of 3334 Old 10-05-2017, 09:09 PM

I've been considering one of these TVs. For those that have a harmony remote, can the inputs be set directly, or do you have to use the toggle method?
post #3006 of 3334 Old 10-05-2017, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 3561 Post(s)
Liked: 1905
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman_a_c View Post
I've been considering one of these TVs. For those that have a harmony remote, can the inputs be set directly, or do you have to use the toggle method?
You can set the HDMI and certain other input codes to react separately.
theboomr likes this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #3007 of 3334 Old 10-05-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
You can set the HDMI and certain other input codes to react separately.
Thanks! Is that something the harmony software handles? What are the other certain input codes that work?
post #3008 of 3334 Old 10-05-2017, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 3561 Post(s)
Liked: 1905
Quote:
Thanks! Is that something the harmony software handles? What are the other certain input codes that work?
The codes are in the Logitech database when you select the specific display. I've only played with the HDMI inputs and power codes, but I have read that other discrete codes are available.
sandman_a_c likes this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #3009 of 3334 Old 10-05-2017, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
I have a Harmony remote with the TCL. Piece of cake to program the inputs if you want. The TV is in the Harmony Database.
sandman_a_c and theboomr like this.

Afro GT
post #3010 of 3334 Old 10-05-2017, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Hey TCL owners, can somebody tell me if these have variable audio output? I want to change my dad's TV so he can use fewer remotes.

And do they make a Blu-ray player perchance? That my dad could also control from the same remote?

Danke Schoen!
post #3011 of 3334 Old 10-06-2017, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 310
*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Anyone w/ the new Apple 4K TV and the TCL P- does Dolby Vision content look great? Getting my TV next week and I’m thinking about picking up the Apple TV as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3012 of 3334 Old 10-06-2017, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Anyone w/ the new Apple 4K TV and the TCL P- does Dolby Vision content look great? Getting my TV next week and I’m thinking about picking up the Apple TV as well.

Good question, have a TCL on order from Amazon...at some point I can see upgrading my current Apple TV gen 4 to the 4K version.
helvetica bold likes this.
post #3013 of 3334 Old 10-06-2017, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another question, can the TCL P calibrate for 2.4 gamma? I noticed the option tops out at 2.2.
post #3014 of 3334 Old 10-06-2017, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
I have the P605 and sometimes when my HDR kicks in on my Xbone S it’s washed out bad so I quit the game and close it out and go back into it until it shows the correct colors. Happens with different cables too. Seems like a software issue though. I’m currently using a premium monoprice hdmi cable. Wish I could figure out why it’s doing it. Doesn’t seem to do it with the built in apps just mainly through my Xbox. Both of these pics are same settings and HDR ON but they’re completely different.

I can somewhat confirm that it really depends on the games, at least on my ps4. Ratchet and clank was my first HDR game, posted in this thread with examples just like yours. Had to really crank up the color, change gamma, and tweak other things for that game to look "correct". However, on the flip side, horizon zero dawn looked great right away, only increased the color just a bit. So like some have said before, it really depends on the developers implementation.
post #3015 of 3334 Old 10-06-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Another question, can the TCL P calibrate for 2.4 gamma? I noticed the option tops out at 2.2.
Gamma options are 1.8, 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4

You access them in the EXPERT PICTURE SETTINGS of the ROKU APP on smartphone or tablet.
post #3016 of 3334 Old 10-06-2017, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I had a Samsung 65 curved tv in my gazebo. With all the reflections, blooming, I had to close the curtains during the day in order to watch it. Finally gave up and moved it back in the house. Now considering this TV. Is it good for a room with windows all around? Or would I be having the same problem?
post #3017 of 3334 Old 10-06-2017, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ordered p607 off Amazon a few days ago. Shipping estimate was 4-6 weeks. I know the estimates were varying depending on the week.

Has anyone's tv been shipped from Amazon earlier than the estimate?
post #3018 of 3334 Old 10-06-2017, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv9292 View Post
Ordered p607 off Amazon a few days ago. Shipping estimate was 4-6 weeks. I know the estimates were varying depending on the week.

Has anyone's tv been shipped from Amazon earlier than the estimate?

Opposite for me it kept moving further out I finally cancelled and ordered in from Best Buy months ago never looked back

post #3019 of 3334 Old 10-06-2017, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post
I can somewhat confirm that it really depends on the games, at least on my ps4. Ratchet and clank was my first HDR game, posted in this thread with examples just like yours. Had to really crank up the color, change gamma, and tweak other things for that game to look "correct". However, on the flip side, horizon zero dawn looked great right away, only increased the color just a bit. So like some have said before, it really depends on the developers implementation.

Yeah I completely agree it depends on how the dev implements HDR. What I was saying is sometimes it will look washed out and sometimes it looks great on the same game. Like my example pics of 2k18, both pics are same settings with HDR on. The HDR notification popped up both times and one is washed out and the other is more vibrant. It’s like HDR didn’t kick in or something. It happens every so often and I have to close it out and reload the app or game 1 or 2 times for it kick in the color properly. Happens with Netflix too and other games. That’s why I wondered if it was my hdmi cable or something but I’m using a premium monoprice. Who knows lol. Other than that I love the tv!

post #3020 of 3334 Old 10-06-2017, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Have a great weekend y'all.

Working on my calibration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0653.JPG
Views:	674
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	2293730  

Last edited by Pres2play; 10-06-2017 at 12:51 PM.
post #3021 of 3334 Old 10-06-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah I completely agree it depends on how the dev implements HDR. What I was saying is sometimes it will look washed out and sometimes it looks great on the same game. Like my example pics of 2k18, both pics are same settings with HDR on. The HDR notification popped up both times and one is washed out and the other is more vibrant. It’s like HDR didn’t kick in or something. It happens every so often and I have to close it out and reload the app or game 1 or 2 times for it kick in the color properly. Happens with Netflix too and other games. That’s why I wondered if it was my hdmi cable or something but I’m using a premium monoprice. Who knows lol. Other than that I love the tv!

I am not a gamer and can't comment on your specific example. But, I wonder if the varying results you are seeing in the same game with HDR ON in both instances is whether or not FALD (Local Contrast) is kicking in or not. Since the latest firmware update a few weeks ago, many have commented on how changing the FALD settings from HIGH to LOW shows very little difference. Sometimes turning OFF FALD and then turning in back ON seems to work for some. Next time you start up the game and see the more washed out image, perhaps you could go into ADVANCED PICTURE SETTINGS and adjust the FALD setting or turn it OFF and then back ON and see if that 'snaps' the image back into what you would expect to see. Just a guess and/or suggestion. Perhaps you have already attempted.
theboomr and jtuck82 like this.
post #3022 of 3334 Old 10-06-2017, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Have any of you tried Battlefield 1 in HDR on TCL? How does the implementation look? Getting my TV next week and Im a little concerned about the variance in HDR quality.
post #3023 of 3334 Old 10-06-2017, 01:24 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:

I have/had this issue since I received my TV earlier this week. I read that 10' cables are the devil w/ HDR. I installed some 2m (6ft cables) and my HDR works now.
jtuck82 likes this.
post #3024 of 3334 Old 10-06-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
I am not a gamer and can't comment on your specific example. But, I wonder if the varying results you are seeing in the same game with HDR ON in both instances is whether or not FALD (Local Contrast) is kicking in or not. Since the latest firmware update a few weeks ago, many have commented on how changing the FALD settings from HIGH to LOW shows very little difference. Sometimes turning OFF FALD and then turning in back ON seems to work for some. Next time you start up the game and see the more washed out image, perhaps you could go into ADVANCED PICTURE SETTINGS and adjust the FALD setting or turn it OFF and then back ON and see if that 'snaps' the image back into what you would expect to see. Just a guess and/or suggestion. Perhaps you have already attempted.

I will try this later tonight. It says the FALD is on HIGH but it very well could be that it didn’t kick in properly. I’ll try to turn it off and back on and see what happens. Thanks for the reply

theboomr likes this.
post #3025 of 3334 Old 10-06-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgford11 View Post
I have/had this issue since I received my TV earlier this week. I read that 10' cables are the devil w/ HDR. I installed some 2m (6ft cables) and my HDR works now.

Mine still does it with a couple different brands that I believe are all 6ft. What brand hdmi cable are you using that made it work?

post #3026 of 3334 Old 10-06-2017, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Quote:

Hmmmm, thats interesting with it doing that even though its both HDR, I was thinking the more vibrant one was SDR and the washed out one was HDR which was what I was getting with Ratchet. For as many time as I was messing with Ratchet and Clank it was always fairly washed out, thats why I had to crank the colors. I don't have an xbox one s, how do you go about enabling and disabling HDR for that system? I don't think its the cable at all. I replaced one of mine as well and still does that stuff. I still feel half the time I have to turn off and turn on local dimming for it to kick in. They've been doing pretty good with updates, hope they continue as there are still some bugs for sure.
theboomr and jtuck82 like this.
post #3027 of 3334 Old 10-06-2017, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Have any of you tried Battlefield 1 in HDR on TCL? How does the implementation look? Getting my TV next week and Im a little concerned about the variance in HDR quality.
Can't speak for others but I use the hdmi cord provided with the PS4 pro. The first thing I did when turning on the tcl was to switch the hdmi input (on the tcl) for PS4 pro to hdmi 2.0 (from 1.4). Now when I go into different games the hdr logo appears in the top right corner automatically if the game supports it, I've never had to manually force hdr.

As for BF1, it looks pretty fantastic! Explosions are extremely bright and the differences in light and dark from going in and out of buildings is really cool. Much more noticeable than without hdr, in my opinion.

Audio: Emotiva XMC-1 Processor / Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 amp
Speakers: Triad Silver LCR (5), Triad Bronze LCR (2 rear), SVS PB13 Ultra sub
Video: Epson 5025 projector / Darbee Darblet / 98" 16:9 Seymour AV UF
Sources: Oppo 103 / Chromecast / Apple TV / Audio Technica LP-120 TT
post #3028 of 3334 Old 10-06-2017, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhead2 View Post
I had a Samsung 65 curved tv in my gazebo. With all the reflections, blooming, I had to close the curtains during the day in order to watch it. Finally gave up and moved it back in the house. Now considering this TV. Is it good for a room with windows all around? Or would I be having the same problem?
I doubt it would be much different than the Samsung, it's semi-glossy. I have a computer monitor sitting on the opposite side of the room and when it's on the reflection on the TV just from that is rather distracting, windows all around would be so much worse.
woodhead2 likes this.
post #3029 of 3334 Old 10-06-2017, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
Can't speak for others but I use the hdmi cord provided with the PS4 pro. The first thing I did when turning on the tcl was to switch the hdmi input (on the tcl) for PS4 pro to hdmi 2.0 (from 1.4). Now when I go into different games the hdr logo appears in the top right corner automatically if the game supports it, I've never had to manually force hdr.

As for BF1, it looks pretty fantastic! Explosions are extremely bright and the differences in light and dark from going in and out of buildings is really cool. Much more noticeable than without hdr, in my opinion.

Thanks for the info! I’m excited to get the TV next week and start my HDR gaming.
Was a little worried about the washed out colors comment and someone mentioned the sharpness might get reset as well?
I just want to keep in mind potential bugs to look out for when I get the TV. I’m buying Monoprice Certified HDMI cables so everything should look great. Fingers crossed I get a decent panel.

Hey can the PS4 Pro display
RGB 4:2:2 w/ HDR on the TCL?
Anyone got it to work?

Last edited by helvetica bold; 10-06-2017 at 04:05 PM.
post #3030 of 3334 Old 10-06-2017, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
A few questions..

Just got this set earlier this week and so far I’m happy with it. The screen uniformity is pretty good, but coming from a Panasonic plasma I was bound to be at least a little disappointed.

2 questions:

1) What video settings are you guys using for Dolby Vision on the built-in Netflix app? I use the Dolby Vision Dark mode, but carrying over similar brightness and backlight settings from my non-HDR settings, the picture is super dark and detail is completely lost in dark areas of the screen. Watching stuff like Luke Cage or Iron Fist, scenes that take place in broad daylight look like dusk, and scenes in dimly lit rooms make it pretty much impossible to see any detail. When you can only make out Luke Cage’s eyes, Something is clearly wrong. I watch at night in a dimly lit living room.

2) When I use the Xbox One’s built-in calibration tool, I can never see the “closed eye”, the pattern on the screen that is meant to differentiate blacks on the darker end of the spectrum. No matter what I do with backlight, brightness, or any other settings I have found to mess around with, I have never been able to get the closed eye to appear. Am I missing something? Is there a setting for HDMI black levels or something? This is on an original Xbox One, no HDR.

Thanks!
toadleyb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page