*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1444Likes

post #601 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I received my TV on Friday. The box had some minor damage and it's certainly an opportunity for TCL to improve the packaging to minimize damage. This is my only complaint with this set.

We had a sitter on Friday night and I somehow managed to talk my wife into spending the evening letting me run a new power outlet behind the TV and hanging it up. Overall, this TV is an absolute bargain for $600. She thought the TV turned off when watching a movie because the screen went so dark. I have not and will not run backlight bleed/flashlight tests because I'll never turn FALD off. FALD was a big selling point for me on the TV so why run a test to discover an issue that will never impact me. I'm not a gamer so it may different for those of you that are.

The interface is quick, picture is extremely crisp, colors are vibrant and I couldn't ask for more for the money. Out of the box, I'm extremely impressed with the picture and haven't messed with the settings much. I've been streaming HDR content on Amazon and YouTube and it's been mind blowing. I can't wait for this content to become mainstream.

For those of you who are on the fence, I would absolutely encourage you to take the plunge. Some people are going to punch holes in the TV for the backlight/flashlighting "issues" but the general takeaway I've learned is that even more expensive TVs have similar test results when turning off FALD. The only exception is gaming. In the end, you'll be hard pressed to find a better value.
andyadler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 828
@texasaggie1211

I and several others have explained why black uniformity issues will impact you, even with FALD on, but it will highly depend on content viewed.
theboomr likes this.

HCFR 3.4.3 | Git branch
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings
Vizio M55-C2 | T95N with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
post #603 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
which leads me to ask if anyone here is using the ethernet connection instead of the wireless, and is there any real benefit to using a hard-wire connection for uhd?
I don't have an answer, only the same question, so I'm bumping this. My guess is that there's no reason other than the uniformity of the internet connection. I have been relieved that my wifi connection has been consistent enough for UHD so far and I haven't had to put a hole in my living room wall!

Denon AVX4300h // 5.1.2: NSM 5SE fronts, PSA XV15se sub, Gallo nucleus micro surrounds, NHT Atmos Minis // TCL P55607 (some DSE but otherwise excellent)

post #604 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
@texasaggie1211

I and several others have explained why black uniformity issues will impact you, even with FALD on, but it will highly depend on content viewed.
I hear what you're saying but with a completely black screen and FALD on, I don't have any uniformity issues. It's solid black with no variations whatsoever. If it looked off, I would be interested in exchanging the set but mine is consistent across the board. Others may be experiencing something different though.
post #605 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 94
The price has gone up to MSRP on Amazon, with Amazon as the seller, and still says 2-3 months. Interestingly, Best Buy stays at fifty off but doesn't say that it's a discount from MSRP.
theboomr likes this.

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR
post #606 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasaggie1211 View Post
I hear what you're saying but with a completely black screen and FALD on, I don't have any uniformity issues. It's solid black with no variations whatsoever. If it looked off, I would be interested in exchanging the set but mine is consistent across the board. Others may be experiencing something different though.
Well, obviously. If your screen has a problem, you'll see it with actual content, such as stars or other bright object in the area where the lightbleed is.
Either way, just wanted to mention why one would want know.
theboomr likes this.

HCFR 3.4.3 | Git branch
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings
Vizio M55-C2 | T95N with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
post #607 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
I don't think you are understanding what he's trying to say. Suppose you have a scene where the leds in the lightbleed area as well as a non lightbleed area is required to be on when you have fald activated. Then the picture in the lightbleed area will be brighter than it should be and also will be contrasted against the non lightbleed area. If that doesn't matter, then by all means, ignorance is bliss.
THX1720 likes this.
post #608 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Can someone please do this test and report back?

Make sure picture settings are same under Youtube app and streamer on HDM1.

Play this video in the TV's ROKU Youtube app:
Then play the same through 4K capable streamer through HDMI1.

When played through HDMI1 (NVIDIA Shield TV), the colors look vibrant, but when played through TV's youtube app, the colors look washed out.

What could be causing this discrepancy?
post #609 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmandal View Post
I don't think you are understanding what he's trying to say. Suppose you have a scene where the leds in the lightbleed area as well as a non lightbleed area is required to be on when you have fald activated. Then the picture in the lightbleed area will be brighter than it should be and also will be contrasted against the non lightbleed area. If that doesn't matter, then by all means, ignorance is bliss.
Of all the content I watched over the weekend, I haven't been able to recognize this. It may honestly be ignorance but could be that I got a good set and the issue doesn't exist. If you're an avid videophile, this TV likely won't hold up to a $2,000 set you're used to watching. If you don't need an OLED quality screen, then this will likely fit the bill for 95% of viewers who are a little more price conscious.

I'll find some more appropriate content tonight where I can see if any of this is noticeable.
christoofar and cah95046 like this.
post #610 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Of all the content I watched over the weekend, I haven't been able to recognize this. It may honestly be ignorance but could be that I got a good set and the issue doesn't exist. If you're an avid videophile, this TV likely won't hold up to a $2,000 set you're used to watching. If you don't need an OLED quality screen, then this will likely fit the bill for 95% of viewers who are a little more price conscious.

I'll find some more appropriate content tonight where I can see if any of this is noticeable.
It is there, maybe you want see it but for sure some of us do.

Current Sets: Sony XBR75X940C, Sony XBR75X940D, Samsung UN65KS9800, UN55KS8500, UN49JS8500, TCL P-Series (55P607)
Previous Sets: Sony XBR65X930D, XBR65X900B, XBR49X830C, Samsung KS8000, KU6500, JS9000, JU7090, JU6500, JU6400, HU9000, HU7250, PN64F8500, Vizio P65, LG 65EF9500, LG 55EC9300, Hisense 55H8C
post #611 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I received my TV on Friday. The box had some minor damage and it's certainly an opportunity for TCL to improve the packaging to minimize damage. This is my only complaint with this set.

We had a sitter on Friday night and I somehow managed to talk my wife into spending the evening letting me run a new power outlet behind the TV and hanging it up. Overall, this TV is an absolute bargain for $600. She thought the TV turned off when watching a movie because the screen went so dark. I have not and will not run backlight bleed/flashlight tests because I'll never turn FALD off. FALD was a big selling point for me on the TV so why run a test to discover an issue that will never impact me. I'm not a gamer so it may different for those of you that are.

The interface is quick, picture is extremely crisp, colors are vibrant and I couldn't ask for more for the money. Out of the box, I'm extremely impressed with the picture and haven't messed with the settings much. I've been streaming HDR content on Amazon and YouTube and it's been mind blowing. I can't wait for this content to become mainstream.

For those of you who are on the fence, I would absolutely encourage you to take the plunge. Some people are going to punch holes in the TV for the backlight/flashlighting "issues" but the general takeaway I've learned is that even more expensive TVs have similar test results when turning off FALD. The only exception is gaming. In the end, you'll be hard pressed to find a better value.
I for one am happy for you. Not sure why people want you to try to find something wrong with it when you are satisfied.
post #612 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyqureshi View Post

Play this video in the TV's ROKU Youtube app: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISJMsVhY5Yk

When played through HDMI1 (NVIDIA Shield TV), the colors look vibrant, but when played through TV's youtube app, the colors look washed out.

The Roku Youtube app probably doesn't support HDR. Only a short list of devices do.

Edit: Should have read more carefully. The Shield doesn't either, but looks better. No idea what's up with that. Probably still an app issue.

Last edited by mrcorbo; 06-19-2017 at 10:02 AM.
post #613 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcorbo View Post
The Roku Youtube app probably doesn't support HDR. Only a short list of devices do.
It does. I think perhaps its a specific video thing. I have played videos on youtube that say HDR and infact does show HDR "little logo pops up" and then on some videos they say its HDR in the description but actually isn't HDR. Not saying thats the exact case but I do know for fact youtube app on roku does show HDR.
mrcorbo, theboomr and Tiger-Bake like this.

PSN: RetroGiant
post #614 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post
It does. I think perhaps its a specific video thing. I have played videos on youtube that say HDR and infact does show HDR "little logo pops up" and then on some videos they say its HDR in the description but actually isn't HDR. Not saying thats the exact case but I do know for fact youtube app on roku does show HDR.
Apparently I'm a week behind.
theboomr likes this.
post #615 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all (woo first post!),

Just got this tv over the weekend. Anyone care to share their settings? Can't decide on the TV brightness. I love how bright it is on the "Brighter" setting (for both SDR and HDR), but I feel like it is almost too bright for dark scenes. I'd be interested to see what other people are using for this as well as other settings.
post #616 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Well I guess this answers my question about the differences between the P607 and Best Buy specific P605. From the TCL USA Twitter account:

"There slight cosmetic differences, as well as the remote but the TV functions and settings are the same."

https://twitter.com/TCL_USA/status/876834537585614849
post #617 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Just noticed that the BB version will be available in my area on the 24th. I may end up canceling my Amazon order. It's very tempting. They deliver it, they set it up, no more boxes with holes in them,don't have to wait until Aug/Sept and I can have no interest for 24 months. Very tempting indeed.

Last edited by rockaway1836; 06-19-2017 at 10:50 AM.
post #618 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
not sure if we're experiencing the same thing, but at times netflix (and other 4k uhd vids i've tested) starts out with what i can only describe as standard definition resolution, but eventually kicks into uhd, it's as if netflix (and other sources) is attempting to find the best res for my internet connection, starting with low, only to eventually discover that the connection can handle uhd.... this never happens with youtube vids, but it does with nfl game pass, mlb, and other sources...

which leads me to ask if anyone here is using the ethernet connection instead of the wireless, and is there any real benefit to using a hard-wire connection for uhd?
I'm using an ethernet and can tell you it's always going to be fastest connection
whizkid39 likes this.
post #619 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyqureshi View Post

Play this video in the TV's ROKU Youtube app: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISJMsVhY5Yk

Could be the HDR settings that get triggered on but can change as well
post #620 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcorbo View Post

Edit: Should have read more carefully. The Shield doesn't either, but looks better. No idea what's up with that. Probably still an app issue.
I believe the roku YouTube app does support HDR since the notification logo pops up when HDR is played
theboomr and Tiger-Bake like this.
post #621 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Shakes View Post
Well I guess this answers my question about the differences between the P607 and Best Buy specific P605. From the TCL USA Twitter account:

"There slight cosmetic differences, as well as the remote but the TV functions and settings are the same."

https://twitter.com/TCL_USA/status/876834537585614849
I really want to know if we will be able to buy the nicer remote separately and use it with the Best Buy model. I would expect so, but one can never be too sure. The P605 remote doesn't have the headphone jack, which isn't a big deal to me since I can use my phone for that feature, but it also doesn't have the voice search, and I am surprisingly really loving that feature on the nicer remote. It's super accurate and fast.
post #622 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
I really want to know if we will be able to buy the nicer remote separately and use it with the Best Buy model. I would expect so, but one can never be too sure. The P605 remote doesn't have the headphone jack, which isn't a big deal to me since I can use my phone for that feature, but it also doesn't have the voice search, and I am surprisingly really loving that feature on the nicer remote. It's super accurate and fast.
Has anyone picked up a best buy model yet? It's finally available at mine later this week.
post #623 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post
Just noticed that the BB version will be available in my area on the 24th. I may end up canceling my Amazon order. It's very tempting. They deliver it, they set it up, no more boxes with holes in them,don't have to wait until Aug/Sept and I can have no interest for 24 months. Very tempting indeed.
Make sure you keep the box if you can.

I went through returning a KS8000 and had to spend 25 bucks to buy a shipping box for it since I got rid of the original without realizing how expensive large mailing boxes for tv's are lol.
post #624 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Anyone got a chance to really compare it to the Vizio P65 or 50 (VA panels) ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #625 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
24 months no interest is for an over eight hundred purchase, it's 12 months if you just buy this tv.

I assume the free installation must be popular. I just placed an order and the earliest I could get for installation was the 27th. I could get store pickup on the 23rd but passed on that.

One downside to going with BB is that the regular return period is 15 days, versus 30 at Amazon. You get a longer return period if you're Elite or Elite Plus.

Extra info: I just called BB to check. If you had installation and there's a problem during the return period, they will come to your house and make an exchange, you don't have to box it up and ship it. That's a big plus in my book.
theboomr likes this.

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR

Last edited by Bob Coxner; 06-19-2017 at 11:47 AM.
post #626 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
And you have just discovered why Best Buy managed to weather the Amazon storm and emerged so successfully when others failed.
theboomr likes this.
post #627 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
24 months no interest is for an over eight hundred purchase, it's 12 months if you just buy this tv.

I assume the free installation must be popular. I just placed an order and the earliest I could get for installation was the 27th. I could get store pickup on the 23rd but passed on that.

One downside to going with BB is that the regular return period is 15 days, versus 30 at Amazon. You get a longer return period if you're Elite or Elite Plus.

Extra info: I just called BB to check. If you had installation and there's a problem during the return period, they will come to your house and make an exchange, you don't have to box it up and ship it. That's a big plus in my book.
When I clicked on flexible financing I didn't read the details, just saw the headline of 24 months. Thought it sounded too good ! lol I have Elite status, so I will have a little more time to decide if it's a keeper or not.

Not having to keep the box around is another big plus for me. My garage is my man cave, and there are no basements to hide things in this neck of the woods. It's one of the few things I miss about NY.
post #628 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyeplanner View Post
Has anyone picked up a best buy model yet? It's finally available at mine later this week.
They just called and left me a message to confirm that mine will be delivered by 8 pm tomorrow so I should be able to post some impressions late tomorrow or sometime Wednesday.
rockaway1836 likes this.
post #629 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Shakes View Post
They just called and left me a message to confirm that mine will be delivered by 8 pm tomorrow so I should be able to post some impressions late tomorrow or sometime Wednesday.
I'd like to hear what the 'cosmetic differences' are.

Last edited by jakejm79; 06-19-2017 at 01:06 PM.
post #630 of 2373 Old 06-19-2017, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I must be confused. I came here thinking this was an owners thread. Would be great to see further discussion on the 55p607, its settings, picture quality, comparisons, impressions, etc. vs Amazon shipping practices and BB financing options.
Ryan1, Gottria, crawlgsx and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page