*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3483Likes

post #61 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
thanks, very helpful... my tv will be installed in a commercial environment, lots of french doors and sunlight... reflections from hdtv sets have always been a big issue for my setup in the past, from the shiny, high-gloss, art deco-like, black bezels hdtv manufacturers seem to love, to the screen itself... fortunately i've been able to eliminate much of this by "hacking" my hdtvs... for example, with my samsung ln-t4669f, i spray painted the bezel flat black which made a huge difference, the screen was already very non-reflective so it wasn't an issue... with a rear projection set i removed the protective screen which exposed a flat matte screen underneath that had zero reflection, the image quality "popped" as a result... does the tcl appear to have a protective screen that's removable?
since its an lcd and not a rear projection, going to say no. i do know what screen youre talking about from the 90s tvs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
does it do 5.1 audio pass through?
TCL claims it does. In fact, they claim it is one of the few TVs that can also pass Dolby Atmos (and presumably DTS:X) via ARC or optical out to your receiver.

Denon AVX4300h // 5.1.2: NSM 5SE fronts, PSA XV15se sub, Gallo nucleus micro surrounds, NHT Atmos Minis // TCL P55607 (some DSE but otherwise excellent)
post #63 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
you may want to research your information a little further.. there MAY have been a set (s) in the past that had SOE WITHOUT motion settings .. but there aren't any within the last few years...
All I'm saying is that it is possible, after all, it's only processing.

post #64 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
All I'm saying is that it is possible, after all, it's only processing.
it's a 60 hz tv so it "could" interpolate 30 hz to 60hz(or 24 to 48...it actually probably does this).. netfix, amazon, most other apps and virtually all live tv broadcasts at 60 hz ...so you don't have anything to worry about...kinda like blooming you can't see on regular programming....i am not trying to give anybody a hard time .. rather trying to temper all this before delivery angst...
theboomr likes this.
post #65 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
Yes I have messed around with settings, you can set the dimming to high and it really does not change the light bleed. With this being said while watching content the light bleed is almost non existent. So if you want to look at a sold black screen you will see some but otherwise I think it will be fine.

Blacks are very impressing for a 600.00 set. The Roku interface is great and menu for setup is good also. I am not however able to find Directv Now apk for some reason and I have it on my other Roku boxes here.

I watched Battleship last night off vudu and it looked very good without me doing to many color tweaks. I also streamed a little of Superman vs Batman in UHD on Vudu and the Dolby Vision settings kicked in.

I will post more thoughts and update the main topic here with my findings as I spend a little more time with the set.
Confirmed, I don't see the Directv Now app anywhere on this set for whatever reason. I have a Roku 3 that has it available so I'm not sure what's going on with that.

EDIT: I've contacted Roku to see why it wouldn't be available on this tv's RokuTV interface, so we'll see what they say.
Viper32 and sheshechic like this.

Last edited by Tiger-Bake; 06-14-2017 at 12:31 PM.
post #66 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 104
My set arrived this morning!

Delivery:
FedEx got it to the door at 10:30 AM and the box showed no signs of damage whatsoever. It was a quick drop and run, by time I made it to the door he was already on to the next house.

Unboxing setup and YouTube 4k:
Thinking the back light bleed may have something to do with fragile bezel design (or cheap construction of the casing in general), I took my time unboxing and was very careful when moving the set once unboxed to it's final destination. This is a 50-lb+ set and the frame is a rather thin plastic. i could see how too much pressure on one of the edges could cause a small crack. So although it should go without saying, give your new TV the same careful white glove treatment a pro would.

Got it setup, connected to WiFi, etc... First 4k content I viewed was on YouTube. Started with the "Vertical Maze 4k Dubi" skydive video (screen shot below, the room I have this set in has a lot of light in spite my closing the blinds or I'd take more). From there I went on to check out several 4k movie trailers on YouTube. Blade Runner 2049 (highly recommended), Thor: Ragnarok and a few others. I'm very impressed with the performance in terms of WiFi connectivity. I remember it bring reported that 2016 TCL sets have had issues in this department so I was worried about streaming over WiFi but all seems fine.

Most YouTube videos appear to start in 4k, but a few start in 480p and then quickly scale up to 4k. I'm accustom to this as YouTube's HD content on occasion behaves the same way, starting low res then converting once a small buffer build. Once the 4k videos transitioned to 4k I got no lag or video hiccups, just smooth 4k playback. I can provide broadband speed test results if requested.

On to Roku apps:
I upgraded my NetFlix account to support UHD content and then signed in and previewed a few offerings. Then I moved on to Vudu. This is my first time to use Vudu and I'm impressed with the selection of UHD 4k and Dolby Vision support. It seems several rentals are only $0.10(!?!) and several movies are free with adds on this service. Although the UHD movies are a bit pricey to rent some of them like Batman Vs Superman and Lego Batman allow you to watch 10 minutes of UHD 4k preview footage for free.

Basic calibration:
Proceeded to pop in Digital Video Essential: Basics calibration Bluray and performed brightness and contrast test. Contrast seems perfect at factory default (100%). I raised the back-light up to 27 from Movie mode's default of 20 and I'm wondering if I can push it up a bit further as the room can get bright and I do some day time viewing. With backlight at 27, I'm keeping brightness at 52 and calibration patterns are telling me that's correct. I am curious about settings others are using in bright rooms. My colorometer doesn't do wide gamut so I can't run any test in HCFR, but since all my displays are calibrated I pulled up a few frames on my old TV (which was calibrated in the same room) and compared the same frames on the 55P607 and I'm very happy with the out of the box color. This is probably the first set I've purchased where I'm content enough with the out of the box warm setting to leave it be for while.

Problems and overall sanctification:
The room is too bright to make a call on potential backlight bleed but I'm not seeing any signs so far. To try and get a dark environment a put a blanket over the back of the TV building a little tent of sorts and put up a solid black image with a few white rectangles in center. Corners all look uniform. I don't want TV in complete darkness, we always have a few dim lamps on even at night so even if there is some bleed (and again, I see none right now) it probably won't be a deal breaker. Also ran a few dead pixel test panels and I'm not seeing any problems. I'll also parrot what others have said about Roku software, it's excellent. Also really love the headphone jack on the remote, tested this and audio is clear and no sync issues. Overall very, very happy with this set so far and my experience with it is exactly as expected based on the three reviews I read.

If I have one negative comment it would be that I wish TCL would have provided a simple daytime/nighttime settings toggle button on the remote. It was a common feature many years ago and it seems to have gone away.

Pictures

Last edited by rmz76; 06-14-2017 at 01:18 PM.
post #67 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz76 View Post

The room is too bright to make a call on potential backlight bleed but I'm not seeing any signs so far. To try and get a dark environment a put a blanket over the back of the TV building a little tent of sorts and put up a solid black image with a few white rectangles in center. Corners all look uniform. I don't want TV in complete darkness, we always have a few dim lamps on even at night so even if there is some bleed (and again, I see none right now) it probably won't be a deal breaker. Also ran a few dead pixel test panels and I'm not seeing any problems. Overall very, very happy with this set so far and my experience with it is exactly as expected based on the three reviews I read.

Dude congrats! I know you're one of us who really wanted the set, so glad you're not finding any problems so far!
Keep us updated!
rmz76, Ricker62 and theboomr like this.
post #68 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I saw the Fedex truck outside, ran downstairs in anticipation ... and he dropped off a watch buckle?! Only postng because you guys are the only ones that would understand lol, such a tease!
post #69 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuripot View Post
I saw the Fedex truck outside, ran downstairs in anticipation ... and he dropped off a watch buckle?! Only postng because you guys are the only ones that would understand lol, such a tease!
I had to go to work and get my laptop and bring it back home this morning so that I could work from home, so that the TV wouldn't just sit outside when it gets delivered. On my way back from work (it's only a 10 minute drive) I saw a FedEx truck leaving my work building a little ways ahead of me and got irrationally excited that it might be the very truck that would deliver my TV. It pulled a bit too far ahead for me to keep eyes on it, and when I got home, there was no FedEx truck here, and still no delivery yet, 4 ish hours later

Also, heard a knock on the door a couple hours ago and thought it was the TV, rushed over, only to see a small UPS envelope on the ground instead
(a microSD card and a bike pouch from Amazon)

Too many teases today!!
post #70 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuripot View Post
A watch buckle! That's the funniest comedown I've heard for ages. And, yes, we understand.

Denon AVX4300h // 5.1.2: NSM 5SE fronts, PSA XV15se sub, Gallo nucleus micro surrounds, NHT Atmos Minis // TCL P55607 (some DSE but otherwise excellent)
post #71 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMR0505 View Post
According to the Amazon Q&A, it does have interpolation and TCL claims the TV is just smart enough to use it effectively and not cause SOE--and there's no way to turn this off. That could be a big distraction, for me, personally.
Please show me where they say that. From what I recall they specifically said it does not use interpolation (MEMC) and instead only uses backlight scanning.
post #72 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
BTW we get 2 months of HBO NOW for free right?
sheshechic and theboomr like this.
post #73 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since the Directv Now app isn't there, is it safe to assume that the PS Vue isn't either?

post #74 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
Since the Directv Now app isn't there, is it safe to assume that the PS Vue isn't either?
The Playstation Vue app is there.
sheshechic likes this.
post #75 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCK View Post
Thinking the back light bleed may have something to do with fragile bezel design (or cheap construction of the casing in general), I took my time unboxing and was very careful when moving the set once unboxed to it's final destination. This is a 50-lb+ set and the frame is a rather thin plastic. i could see how too much pressure on one of the edges could cause a small crack. So although it should go without saying, give your new TV the same careful white glove treatment a pro would.

Any more detailed advice on how to move the set once it's unboxed? lol, now I'm getting worried about messing it up!
I was home when mine was delivered. It was set on its' side. I've heard that's not ideal, but have no info to back that up. That said... I did unbox mine carefully. I removed the top styrofoam holder, set it on the ground, laid the tv box on its' side and gently pulled the tv out. The I gently set it on the styrofoam packaging while I attached the legs and carefully put it on my table. No light bleeding, no screen issues at all (so far).
post #76 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 01:32 PM
SCK

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

@rmz76 Any more detailed advice on how to move the set once it's unboxed? lol, now I'm getting worried about messing it up!
theboomr likes this.
post #77 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just got mine & set it up - no problems noted so far, looks fantastic even before I do tweaks (next on agenda). I did notice the same issues with my Marantz receiver's ARC that it doesn't want to recognize the TV's HDMI signal until I change sources. Sheesh - may just use optical as it bothers me to have to click twice.

Moving from primary Samsung JS8500 4K TV, and wouldn't you know it, I JUST got the 1500 HDR update last evening. lol Will look good with my XBox One S in the basement, but planning to use TCL as main TV.
post #78 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-Bake View Post
The Playstation Vue app is there.
Thank you! Weird that DTV Now isn't.

post #79 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCK View Post

Any more detailed advice on how to move the set once it's unboxed? lol, now I'm getting worried about messing it up!
I don't know... I just opened the box from the bottom and then carefully let it slide out, making sure it would fall gently against the back of my sofa when it came out of the box.... Then I very gently slid it on the carpet to the front of my entertainment center. I guess my advice would be treat it as if it were made of thin glass and try not to put in pressure on the sides/bezel. If you do have to support it from the sides go for the middle not the edges. Honestly, it's probably how I would handle any set I had to move around a room.

Not sure if these sets are fragile or if I just happened to get lucky and get a good one... Have been streaming video on Vudu for several hours now. So happy there appears to be no WiFi connectivity issues with this set. I wasn't looking forward to running a CAT5 cable. Good luck to everyone with unboxing and luck of the draw... Now back to Jr. Mints and Rogue One with this new toy
post #80 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I don't know... I just opened the box from the bottom and then carefully let it slide out, making sure it would fall gently against the back of my sofa when it came out of the box.... Then I very gently slid it on the carpet to the front of my entertainment center. I guess my advice would be treat it as if it were made of thin glass and try not to put in pressure on the sides/bezel. If you do have to support it from the sides go for the middle not the edges. Honestly, it's probably how I would handle any set I had to move around a room.

Not sure if these sets are fragile or if I just happened to get lucky and get a good one... Have been streaming video on Vudu for several hours now. So happy there appears to be no WiFi connectivity issues with this set. I wasn't looking forward to running a CAT5 cable. Good luck to everyone with unboxing and luck of the draw... Now back to Jr. Mints and Rogue One with this new toy
So the box doesn't have any easy unpacking built in? On Vizio P Series it's designed on purpose to let you slide the outer box off the top, with some heavy-ish cardboard in the "base" to support the TV vertically even after removing the outer box.
sheshechic likes this.
post #81 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
So the box doesn't have any easy unpacking built in? On Vizio P Series it's designed on purpose to let you slide the outer box off the top, with some heavy-ish cardboard in the "base" to support the TV vertically even after removing the outer box.
I honestly don't recall, but it just made the most sense to open the box from the bottom then gently give a little shake to nudge it loose and it slid right out... It was well packed. Since you're going to have to screw the feet onto the base it may make more sense to open it from the top and bring it out upside down. It's kind of sad we're having to worry this much about how we unbox.
whizkid39 and theboomr like this.
post #82 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
There's heavy styrofoam on the top and bottom, so you can slide it out either way. It's flat on both sides, so conceivably it'll stand up... if I were you I'd lean it against a couch or something to be on the safe side when you do this though.
theboomr likes this.
post #83 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I honestly don't recall, but it just made the most sense to open the box from the bottom then gently give a little shake to nudge it loose and it slid right out... It was well packed. Since you're going to have to screw the feet onto the base it may make more sense to open it from the top and bring it out upside down. It's kind of sad we're having to worry this much about how we unbox.
I'll be wall mounting so I don't have to worry about the feet
FuB01 likes this.
post #84 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Many of the YouTube 4k videos continue to blow my mind.... If you're looking for something to watch first to showoff 4k do a YouTube search for "Iceland in 4k Ultra HD".... Jaw dropping. I have a window to the world in my den... Zero buyers remorse.
nathan118, patt_itt, PAPAT and 3 others like this.
post #85 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Zero buyers remorse.
Now that's more like it! Crimson_Flam3s, it's starting to look like your unit is out on the wrong lip of the bell curve.

post #86 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I unpacked mine same way.No light bleed,completely black,no cloudy corners,no washed out effect,excellent pic so far.Out of box settings-reduced contrast to 80,increased sharpness to 60.Learning as I go.
sheshechic, Ricker62 and theboomr like this.

USN Ret.
TCL55P607
Westy,WD48FB100
CT-100
4 Vizios,2 RCA,2 Sony,2Toshiba,1Panasonic,2 Samsung-Gone.

Last edited by whizkid39; 06-15-2017 at 05:32 AM. Reason: add info
post #87 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Many of the YouTube 4k videos continue to blow my mind.... If you're looking for something to watch first to showoff 4k do a YouTube search for "Iceland in 4k Ultra HD".... Jaw dropping. I have a window to the world in my den... Zero buyers remorse.
Great to see some real positivity coming from you!
rmz76, sheshechic and FuB01 like this.
post #88 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Does this TV support YouTube HDR? I don't think I saw this mentioned anywhere.

HCFR 3.4.4 | Git branch
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings
Vizio M55-C2 | T95N with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
post #89 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 945
I think some people may be confused with light bleed. I surely as an owner would love to see screenshots of those who have none.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
sheshechic likes this.

Current Sets: Sony XBR75X940C, Sony XBR75X940D, Samsung UN65KS9800, UN55KS8500, UN49JS8500, TCL P-Series (55P607)
Previous Sets: Sony XBR65X930D, XBR65X900B, XBR49X830C, Samsung KS8000, KU6500, JS9000, JU7090, JU6500, JU6400, HU9000, HU7250, PN64F8500, Vizio P65, LG 65EF9500, LG 55EC9300, Hisense 55H8C

Last edited by Viper32; 06-14-2017 at 03:31 PM.
post #90 of 3310 Old 06-14-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
Does this TV support YouTube HDR? I don't think I saw this mentioned anywhere.
Mmmm probably not? I don't know for sure, but I was under the impression that only Google OSes, i.e. Chromecast and Android TV, had YouTube HDR support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page