*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1609Likes

post #991 of 2841 Old 06-25-2017, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi all,

I picked up my P605 from Best Buy last Wednesday and so far I'm pretty happy with it. When I ordered it said it was to be available Friday, but it was ready a few days early, which was nice. The box was in great condition and set up was easy. After hearing some of the issues people had from Amazon, I expected the packing to be flimsy but i thought it was pretty decent.

I don't have a calibration video and haven't done much besides play with some of the preset picture options, but the picture quality seems good to me. I had purchased a LG a few weeks ago that I ended up returning because the picture seemed dim. The TCL's picture is nice and bright. I watched some 4k videos on youtube and also watched The Martian on bluray, and both looked great. The ability to pause/rewind live tv using the antenna is pretty nice too. Since there was so much discussion on here about FALD and backlight dimming, etc., I did play with that and took some pictures, which are below. They go in order as follows: Local Contrast off. then low, medium, and high.

I only have a few minor issues with the unit. The sound quality is a bit lacking compared to the TV i'm replacing, though my judgement could be off as I bought a soundbar along with the tv and after using that I can't go back to just using the TV speakers. The remote feels cheap and I'd rather not have the IR or whatever it is that requires me to point it at the TV. I had previously been using a Roku Premiere Plus which seemed to have a more solid remote and I could point anywhere. Related to both of these...the IR sensor appears to be right under the TCL logo under the screen, which prevents me from putting the soundbar there. Like I said, these are minor and more personal preference things.

The one thing I'm still trying to figure out is getting the tv's remote to control the soundbar volume so I don't have to use two remotes. I believe I need to get a soundbar with HDMI and go that route vs. using the digital optical cable. If anyone has other tips feel free to share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	box1.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	2203929   Click image for larger version

Name:	top2-1.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	2203937   Click image for larger version

Name:	off1.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	2203945   Click image for larger version

Name:	low1.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	2203953   Click image for larger version

Name:	medium1.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	2203961  

Click image for larger version

Name:	high1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	2203969  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2841 Old 06-25-2017, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 82
for those who set this up themselves. what's the easiest way to get the legs on by your lonesome? lol

open the box from the bottom and just slide it out flat? i'm always worried about laying these tvs flat because of the "don't transport these flat" warnings haha
post #993 of 2841 Old 06-25-2017, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
for those who set this up themselves. what's the easiest way to get the legs on by your lonesome? lol

open the box from the bottom and just slide it out flat? i'm always worried about laying these tvs flat because of the "don't transport these flat" warnings haha
I opened it from the top, pulled it out, and laid on the couch. In full disclosure I had to lay it flat in my car to get it home too. The best buy guy who helped me load it said it's not that big of a deal unless you have a curved TV. He said transporting a curved tv flat voids its warranty.
theboomr likes this.

post #994 of 2841 Old 06-25-2017, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyJ View Post
For a PDF of the manual, try the link in post #653 of this thread.

Jack

EDIT; I just noticed the link is also been added to the first post of this thread.

That's a pretty short manual, doesn't even explain menus, settings or features. Is there a bigger one included with the TV?

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus (returning to XBL with Xbox One X)
post #995 of 2841 Old 06-25-2017, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So picked up mine from Best Buy today. Barely fit it into my car.

So far looks good, but I have been unable to get ARC to work with my receiver (Denon Avr-s700w). ARC is set up on both the TV and the Receiver. Set the HDMI port to 2.0. Even switched the HDMI cable with one I got from Verizon. None of it gets the audio to the receiver. Soon I'll have to give up and hook up an optical cable.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
post #996 of 2841 Old 06-25-2017, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Will imagic post his settings or is that not something they normally do here?
post #997 of 2841 Old 06-25-2017, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Nevermind. Found there was a menu setting deep within that I needed to turn on ARC on the TV.

post #998 of 2841 Old 06-25-2017, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

need to wait til nighttime to do some testing but so far the only annoyance has been the location of the IR. my soundbar blocks it. no biggie though. that's what the mini ir blasters that came with the harmony hub are for.

picture is much brighter than the kuro 5020fd plasma this is replacing. easily watchable during the daytime now compared to before when I had some issues due to windows and glare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
Nevermind. Found there was a menu setting deep within that I needed to turn on ARC on the TV.

took me awhile to figure this out too.
post #999 of 2841 Old 06-25-2017, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Guys I just figured something out. Remember I said pre update that I saw a bunch of ghosting in my Star Wars TFA BD, but not when I watched it on Vudu? Well I wanted to test the BD again just now so I loaded it up, and lo and behold, no ghosting at all! I was thinking maybe the update fixed it, but I decided to mess around with picture settings and then replay the same scene again. I saw ghosting again.

So, without getting into further specifics of how I figured it out, the Movie picture mode causes ghosting, while others do not (specifically Vivid, that's what I'm using now). I haven't tested all the other picture modes yet but I'm expecting Movie mode will be the only one that adds ghosting. It must have some extra behind the scenes motion processing enabled in Movie mode that isn't enabled on any of the other modes, because damn it is a huge huge difference.

I haven't checked with other Blu Rays yet, but if anyone else wants to test it out, the scene where I can see really obvious distracting ghosting is at 5:55 when Finn stands up, look around the left side of his helmet.
rolltide1017 and new_tcl like this.
post #1000 of 2841 Old 06-25-2017, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by cah95046 View Post
TCL tech told me IR remotes will work. See Amazon Q&A.
I think (like is common with a lot of devices) is the power on function is IR and then when the rest of the functions are wireless. This allows the TV and remote to go into standby mode and have the wireless feature disconnected when shut off and in standby.

Even the wireless advanced remote has an IR filter on the front of it. So the 607 despite coming with the advanced wireless remote should also support all IR remotes (other TCL Roku TV models or universal). Though it seems that the 605 doesn't have the relevant hardware (or at least it is disabled) to pair wireless remotes and can only use IR ones.

Last edited by jakejm79; 06-25-2017 at 06:28 PM.
post #1001 of 2841 Old 06-25-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyeplanner View Post
I opened it from the top, pulled it out, and laid on the couch. In full disclosure I had to lay it flat in my car to get it home too. The best buy guy who helped me load it said it's not that big of a deal unless you have a curved TV. He said transporting a curved tv flat voids its warranty.
The concern is the vibrations during transport causing the screen to crack has it flexes (when laid flat) vs standing up, laying it flat during assembly wont be a problem.
I had the same issue when I bought a 50" plasma from BB wouldn't fit standing up so had to transport it lying down (ended up fine) but they did mark the receipt for voiding the warranty.
sheshechic and theboomr like this.
post #1002 of 2841 Old 06-25-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyeplanner View Post
The one thing I'm still trying to figure out is getting the tv's remote to control the soundbar volume so I don't have to use two remotes. I believe I need to get a soundbar with HDMI and go that route vs. using the digital optical cable. If anyone has other tips feel free to share.
External device volume control is part of CEC and that is only available via a HDMI connection. So yes you will need a receiver/soundbar that accepts a HDMI input.
theboomr likes this.
post #1003 of 2841 Old 06-25-2017, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejm79 View Post
The concern is the vibrations during transport causing the screen to crack has it flexes (when laid flat) vs standing up, laying it flat during assembly wont be a problem.
I had the same issue when I bought a 50" plasma from BB wouldn't fit standing up so had to transport it lying down (ended up fine) but they did mark the receipt for voiding the warranty.
gotcha. i just had to man-up, ignore the defect horror stories and just do it. the actual tv is pretty light and my arms had a long enough wingspan where i could lift it myself using the edges without feeling like i was putting too much pressure anywhere.
crawlgsx likes this.
post #1004 of 2841 Old 06-25-2017, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
Guys I just figured something out. Remember I said pre update that I saw a bunch of ghosting in my Star Wars TFA BD, but not when I watched it on Vudu? Well I wanted to test the BD again just now so I loaded it up, and lo and behold, no ghosting at all! I was thinking maybe the update fixed it, but I decided to mess around with picture settings and then replay the same scene again. I saw ghosting again.

So, without getting into further specifics of how I figured it out, the Movie picture mode causes ghosting, while others do not (specifically Vivid, that's what I'm using now). I haven't tested all the other picture modes yet but I'm expecting Movie mode will be the only one that adds ghosting. It must have some extra behind the scenes motion processing enabled in Movie mode that isn't enabled on any of the other modes, because damn it is a huge huge difference.

I haven't checked with other Blu Rays yet, but if anyone else wants to test it out, the scene where I can see really obvious distracting ghosting is at 5:55 when Finn stands up, look around the left side of his helmet.

Have you noticed the ghosting with other sources while in Movie mode? Seems odd that it would only happen with BDs. How does the TV know it's a BD instead of an Apple TV or game console. Thanks for the heads up though... Mental note, calibrate one of the other modes instead of movie.

Kinda surprised with the lack of discussion about the firmware update. Viper32 was making it sound like there were some major improvements but, not much is being mentioned. Did they add any FALD for game mode? Does HDR still looked good when using game mode?

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus (returning to XBL with Xbox One X)
post #1005 of 2841 Old 06-25-2017, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 62
So my remote randomly stopped working after watching a few shows on Netflix. Tried every troubleshoot on their site and others. Nothing worked I figured lets do a factor reset and get to the pair remote screen fresh...yep remote still won't work and now my tv is stuck on the startup screen with no way to move forward. What a nightmare. Messaged tcl on twitter and going to message them on Facebook as well. Ridiculous.

Edit: luckily my Directv remote got me through set-up but still miffed about my remote being dead.

Last edited by garnettrules21; 06-25-2017 at 09:37 PM.
post #1006 of 2841 Old 06-25-2017, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzmetcalf View Post
Okay, as promised, my bleed photos. First, FALD off, then FALD low. These are both with Brightness at 40, Picture Normal, Contrast 100. I struggled to approximate on camera the actual brightness of the screen. These seems about right to me.

Having posted these (the second really just as a formality, as you can barely even see the TV), I'll add that I do have one problem with the screen. There are two slightly dim patches visible even during programming. I haven't been able to capture them for you, due to my TV and camera not playing nice together on bright shots. But they are about fist sized fuzzy areas of relative dimness, about 1/4 in from each side of the TV and exactly halfway up/down the vertical line. They are only visible when the programming shows an exactly uniform field, but they are a little annoying in those rare moments.

Perhaps the sort of thing massaging might help with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrain13 View Post
I was noticing some discoloration in the reds that were in the corners on my Roku menu so I decided to test for backlight bleed (or is it flashlighting?)

My panel has it all four corners and unfortunately, not equally. It's not particularly noticeable during content viewing (with FALD on) except for in two cases:

+ letterbox content where there's a bright highlight near the edge of the shot
+ Full screen content where there are bright highlights on a dark background in these zones

I haven't decided whether or not to return. Anyone actually have a panel with good uniformity? I think I'm okay with sticking with this guy, but if people are in fact getting higher quality panels (and this is just a first run thing), I'll go through the trouble of returning it.
figured i'd post about this too. my bb 55p605 panel with fald off looks about the same as these.
post #1007 of 2841 Old 06-25-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
Have you noticed the ghosting with other sources while in Movie mode? Seems odd that it would only happen with BDs. How does the TV know it's a BD instead of an Apple TV or game console. Thanks for the heads up though... Mental note, calibrate one of the other modes instead of movie.

Kinda surprised with the lack of discussion about the firmware update. Viper32 was making it sound like there were some major improvements but, not much is being mentioned. Did they add any FALD for game mode? Does HDR still looked good when using game mode?
I meant to do some more testing after posting that comment but I didn't get around to it, so I'm not sure if it exhibits the same behavior with other sources. I'll most definitely post here again once I do test it a bit more! Also, it doesn't necessarily "know" that it's a BD, but a BD does output 24hz signal so the TV can detect when it's in 24hz (or 48hz, whatever the TV actually does to display judder-free movies) mode instead of 60hz.

About the FALD improvements, it did seem that the crazy horrible backlight flickering was gone while I watched TFA's opening space scene, but it was daylight still and I can't get my living room 100% dark in daylight, so I'm not totally sure if that was actually fixed or not. As for game mode, I don't have any HDR games to test out yet so I can't really comment on that. I can say that they did not make local dimming an available option in game mode as I was hoping for, but I've settled for now with just playing without game mode, since the input lag is still pretty good without it.

I also think it's odd how few people have made any comments about performance post-update. I'll try to do more testing tomorrow (or maybe tonight if I'm a bad person and stay up way too late) and will post my findings.
post #1008 of 2841 Old 06-25-2017, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I posted a while back that I was not able to get 5.1 channel sound to my old 5.1 channel AVR (Pioneer VSX521K) from streaming sources via ARC. I upgraded to a 7.2 channel Denon AVR-S730H and now have resolved my problems. Should be future-proof for a few years.
theboomr and franzmetcalf like this.
post #1009 of 2841 Old 06-26-2017, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

so did anyone who exchanged due to flashlighting/clouding actually get a better panel?
whizkid39 likes this.
post #1010 of 2841 Old 06-26-2017, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 217
the rtings review is posted...
rockaway1836 likes this.
post #1011 of 2841 Old 06-26-2017, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 130
post #1012 of 2841 Old 06-26-2017, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
posting for the lazy

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p607
Lp85253 likes this.
post #1013 of 2841 Old 06-26-2017, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post
And a direct link to their picture calibration settings, which they gave a 9.8.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p607/settings
post #1014 of 2841 Old 06-26-2017, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
I am guessing this was done with the shipping firmware in place and not the newly released one?
Lp85253 and theboomr like this.

post #1015 of 2841 Old 06-26-2017, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsax6010 View Post
I am guessing this was done with the shipping firmware in place and not the newly released one?
Yeah. Says it was done with Firmware : 7.6.2 • build 4144-30
theboomr likes this.
post #1016 of 2841 Old 06-26-2017, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
For those interested, here is a link to their recommended settings: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p607/settings
post #1017 of 2841 Old 06-26-2017, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsax6010 View Post
that would be my guess..seeing as the tv rates about even with the m series vizio
post #1018 of 2841 Old 06-26-2017, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by St0chastic View Post
For those interested, here is a link to their recommended settings: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p607/settings
Those settings look really extreme. 0 backlight, 100 contrast? That's very different than my 50 backlight and 30 contrast.

Any thoughts on these settings or care to list your own to compare?
sheshechic likes this.
post #1019 of 2841 Old 06-26-2017, 11:30 AM

Glad to see the TV getting high regards from Rtings! It seems they got a panel with pretty decent black uniformity compared to some of us, although mine seems to be improving a bit the more I use it...That could just be a placebo effect though. I really need to take some more pictures in total darkness just to compare to those first pictures I took. I know OLEDs have a wear-in period of a few hundred hours but I'm not sure if LED TVs also have a wear-in period at all.

I think I've decided to just keep this TV instead of going through the hassle to return it. I do wish they'd enable local dimming in game mode, but even if they don't it isn't a huge deal to go into settings and switch game mode off and local dimming on whenever we watch a BD (UHD BD, in the future with my Xbox One X) on the Xbox. All our other movie/TV watching will happen through the Roku streaming apps for the most part.

The other thing I want to figure out is why that ghosting happens when viewing BD content in Movie mode. Still need to do some tests to see if that happens in other content too, or if it's only specifically Blu Rays and Movie mode combined that cause it.

It would also be nice to get a motion setting to do black frame insertions, as Rtings suggested.
Viper32 and sheshechic like this.
post #1020 of 2841 Old 06-26-2017, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Shakes View Post
Yeah. Says it was done with Firmware : 7.6.2 • build 4144-30
I posted a question to rtings.com team if new firmware changed any if their readings and their impressions

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page