*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1609Likes

post #1111 of 2846 Old 06-27-2017, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejm79 View Post
Just received my replacement unit and it is a huge improvement to my previous one. Not only is the over-pronounced LED arrays on one half of the screen where the damage occurred now gone but the clouding is a huge improvement (I have to wait till night to get a real impression) but it only appears very slightly in the corners and disappears with any FALD level. TBH had I not been reading this thread I would have never noticed even on a black screen, with my previous one it was a mess.

Screen uniformity is also way better than my last one, slightly darker in the very corners and possibly along the top and bottom but its to the very extreme of the screen edge its barely noticeable.

Everything else is excellent, 4K HDR content looks stunning.

But the experience dealing with TCL has been nothing short of unbelievably amazing. They stepped up when Amazon wouldn't. Within a week of contacting them I have a replacement TV sitting in my living room. Replacement was properly packaged, actually was excellently packaged, better than what I have received from BB in the past. Outer box showed a little FedEx neglect but the store box on the inside was in perfect condition - hopefully Amazon is listening to this and realize how they should package TVs for shipping.

I'll update the pics once its dark out, but currently I couldn't be happier and don't expect that to change.
Aw man! I should have contacted TCL as well. Already returned mine and now I got to wait two to three months...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 2846 Old 06-27-2017, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
YMMV, but yes direct from TCL, their CS has been nothing less than stella.

Well my issue wasn't so much that I got a bad panel (tho, the replacement is miles better than the original), but that I had shipping damage, that squarely fell on how Amazon decided to pack (or lack of pack as the case is) the TV. Then Amazon couldn't confirm when a replacement would be available nor offer any compensation if I didn't exchange it. So I either kept the damaged set, rolled the dice that a replacement would be available before my exchange period was over or just returned it and went without a TV for 2-3 months. Luckily TCL stepped in and provided a perfect one.
I have been waiting for a replacement now for two weeks, and TCL has been no help telling me that since I returned it to Amazon, that I need to go through them for a replacement.
post #1113 of 2846 Old 06-27-2017, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
Anyone have experience with Bestbuy TV exchanges? I ordered through BB.com and had it shipped to my house. On the phone and the rep is saying that i need to take it to a store and is researching "other options" after i told her I don't have the vehicle to do that and also that I didn't want them to claim I damaged the set by transporting it myself out of box.

I know someone mentioned in this or another thread that BB is supposedly able to come and pick it up without the box.

Edit: nevermind she figured it out after a long hold. exchange and swap.
Had to go back & read your other posts to find out why you were exchanging your 55P605. I still have not make up my mind about purchasing this TV. I have a 10% off code if I use my BB CC & a $50 GC I can use towards the purchase.

post #1114 of 2846 Old 06-27-2017, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by seifscape View Post
I have been waiting for a replacement now for two weeks, and TCL has been no help telling me that since I returned it to Amazon, that I need to go through them for a replacement.
I wouldn't say that is no help, its just there isn't much they can do since you no long have a TV to exchange, you can't really blame them for not setting up an exchange, they can't go sending out TVs without getting any back. TBH returns/exchanges fall squarely on Amazon and the fact TCL has been so active in trying to fix what is effectively a seller's problem is pretty huge.

I suspect if you had contacted TCL before returning it to Amazon they would be able to help.
post #1115 of 2846 Old 06-27-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't say that is no help, its just there isn't much they can do since you no long have a TV to exchange, you can't really blame them for not setting up an exchange, they can't go sending out TVs without getting any back. TBH returns/exchanges fall squarely on Amazon and the fact TCL has been so active in trying to fix what is effectively a seller's problem is pretty huge.

I suspect if you had contacted TCL before returning it to Amazon they would be able to help.
This is true, and I was an idiot, I should have contacted TCL. Yes, Amazon is the issue.
post #1116 of 2846 Old 06-27-2017, 06:26 PM

Liked: 18
TCL does say in the box that you should contact them first if you have any issues.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
theboomr and trekjewel like this.
post #1117 of 2846 Old 06-27-2017, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I know a few people have mentioned waiting for Costco to get the TV. I sent TCL a direct message on Twitter today to ask when Costco would have it in stock. After checking with the sales manager, Erin replied that Costco has not picked up this TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170627-211135.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	2207233  
sheshechic and theboomr like this.
post #1118 of 2846 Old 06-27-2017, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert.J.Farnsworth View Post
The viewing angle IS horrible, if you need a good viewing angle you should probably go with an LG or Sony IPS panel but you'll never get as good of a picture quality. If you want both PQ and large viewing angle seems Oled is the only way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't forget the IPS panel on the Vizio P (55") although that is probably too small for your viewing distances. Unless you jump up to OLED you are stuck with those trade offs. There are some VA panels that have a little better viewing angles - I believe this is where Rtings.com becomes your best friend. While there is some subjectivity to their ratings they will give you a great idea of how one model's viewing angle compares to another. Then, as always, it is up to you what the best picture quality you can get with the budget you're working with.
theboomr likes this.
post #1119 of 2846 Old 06-27-2017, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Got my 55p605 today and have been blown away by the picture after watching a few 4K HDR clips on YouTube.

However, while inspecting the screen I noticed this imperfection about 1cm long, easily visible from the couch and now it's driving me insane. Tried to rub it off to see if it was something on the screen, but it appears to be internal. Does anybody know exactly what this is, and if it is fixible? Or is my best bet to just get a replacement set from BestBuy?

Just registered so I can't post the link, but here's the URL to an image of the issue:
i.imgur.com/VUeHFBb.jpg
post #1120 of 2846 Old 06-27-2017, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw1023 View Post
Just registered so I can't post the link, but here's the URL to an image of the issue:
i.imgur.com/VUeHFBb.jpg
Looks like a grouping of deadish pixels. I'd return it. Nobody should accept that.
post #1121 of 2846 Old 06-28-2017, 12:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 3535 Post(s)
Liked: 1876
Well, after finally unpacking and hanging it on a stand, I think I pretty much lucked out compared to some folk. Yes, there's a little bit of the dark corner anomaly, and just a hair more of it in the lower right. But, so far, it looks like a keeper considering TCL doesn't seem to have the absolute greatest quality control on the planet and the flimsy case and frame seem to be part of the problem. I don't want to jinx it that the next one would have some other, larger problem.

Black levels and color depth are pretty darn good considering the price of the set. HDR could use a bit more oomph in the brightness department, but again, this isn't a mega-thousand dollar display and I didn't expect it was going to match a top end Dolby Vision capable panel.

TCL does need to adjust their local contrast dimming algorithm and, hopefully, they're actually coming out with a new firmware to address this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 06-28-2017 at 12:09 AM.
post #1122 of 2846 Old 06-28-2017, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyqureshi View Post
I would really appreciate if someone could report back if they have dim/dead pixels in following approximate areas

~12 inches from left, about ~12 inches from top
~13 inches from right, about ~12 inches from top
bump.

The dead/dim pixels are right around where the back top left and right screws are.
post #1123 of 2846 Old 06-28-2017, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
Someone else mentioned a similar problem quite a ways back, but I don't think they ever posted about figuring it out or not. That wasn't you, was it? Either way, I have no idea what that means. It could be because you're not connected to the internet and like it's warning you that all the Roku stuff will be unavailable, but I'm not sure. If I remember, I'll try disconnecting mine from my WiFi tonight and see if it exhibits that behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw1023 View Post
Got my 55p605 today and have been blown away by the picture after watching a few 4K HDR clips on YouTube.

However, while inspecting the screen I noticed this imperfection about 1cm long, easily visible from the couch and now it's driving me insane. Tried to rub it off to see if it was something on the screen, but it appears to be internal. Does anybody know exactly what this is, and if it is fixible? Or is my best bet to just get a replacement set from BestBuy?

i.imgur.com/VUeHFBb.jpg

I've got the same thing. on mine it's a little under a 1/4 inch. I'll probably just live with it...
post #1124 of 2846 Old 06-28-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
Looks like a grouping of deadish pixels. I'd return it. Nobody should accept that.
I was afraid of that... hopefully BestBuy will pick up the old one at the same time they drop off a new one. My only concern is that the replacement will have a worse screen. Other than the pixel defect the panel was pretty good.
post #1125 of 2846 Old 06-28-2017, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
bump.

The dead/dim pixels are right around where the back top left and right screws are.
I have one dead pixel on the far left middle section on my unit. Nothing you would ever notice unless you were up close, and have a solid light color on screen.
post #1126 of 2846 Old 06-28-2017, 08:20 AM

BestBuy is coming out on Friday to drop off a new TV and take away the defective one. Fingers crossed that the new set is free of panel issues. I'm hoping that the pixel problems people are reporting are rare and that my chances of the replacement not having the same problem are closer to the 'good' side of the spectrum.
post #1127 of 2846 Old 06-28-2017, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I returned mine and will be waiting for the 65". It's really too bad that they won't be releasing an even larger version.

I'd love to see a shoot out between this, the Vizio P and the Sony 900E (since Sonys were mentioned in the rtings review).
theboomr likes this.

Last edited by sheshechic; 06-28-2017 at 09:01 AM.
post #1128 of 2846 Old 06-28-2017, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
I returned mine and will be waiting for the 65". It's really too bad that they won't be releasing an even larger version.

I'd love to see a shoot out between this, the Vizio P and the Sony 900E (since Sonys were mentioned in the rtings review).
I think the reviewed.com review actually specifically compared a P607, a Vizio P Series, and a Sony X900E (or it might've been a Samsung, pretty sure Sony though). The guy brought some people over to get their impressions too and everyone said the TCL was better than the Vizio, but it was a tossup between the TCL and the Sony.
sheshechic and Lp85253 like this.
post #1129 of 2846 Old 06-28-2017, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 116
For those that have wall mounted their sets, are 14mm M6 screws good or do I need a different length?
post #1130 of 2846 Old 06-28-2017, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youcan1 View Post
I have one dead pixel on the far left middle section on my unit. Nothing you would ever notice unless you were up close, and have a solid light color on screen.
yup. if you have like a couple and they are off to the side and not bunched together i wouldn't return it. especially since your next one could be worse. with 8 million pixels you literally can't see any of them from sitting/viewing distance. this isn't a monitor or laptop screen where your face is right up against it all the time.

then again...who should i be talking with my ocd exchange of a panel with flashlighting/clouding in the corners
theboomr likes this.
post #1131 of 2846 Old 06-28-2017, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Thanks @Youcan1

I'm trying to see if it's a common problem with other TVs, since the dead pixels are so close to the screws behind the screen.
post #1132 of 2846 Old 06-28-2017, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks @Youcan1

I'm trying to see if it's a common problem with other TVs, since the dead pixels are so close to the screws behind the screen.
Get a replacement.There ways to try to revive dead pixels you could fix it you could make it worse. I just had to exchange my tv for the same issue. It was not bad at first ,but it started to get worse. The maker of my tv warranty guarantees no bad pixels no reason to just live with.
post #1133 of 2846 Old 06-28-2017, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I disagree about having to be dead center to watch.. Does it haven't good viewing angles? No but it's still watchable off center
post #1134 of 2846 Old 06-28-2017, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoNYC View Post
For those that have wall mounted their sets, are 14mm M6 screws good or do I need a different length?
M6x18 is what the manual specifies, and what I picked up from Lowes. Worked perfect with my mount.

post #1135 of 2846 Old 06-28-2017, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

how can i tell if 4k and/or hdr is available on amazon prime roku?
post #1136 of 2846 Old 06-28-2017, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ordered three of these on the 26th from Best Buy and ready for pickup 2 days later on the 28th. Dang!

Two of the boxes had damage, but the dent in the boxes along the edges weren't too deep.

So far we've set up 2 out of the 3 and configured them (But not calibrated yet)

Stood up SUPER close and inspected every inch of the panel against the different red and black backgrounds during setup and don't see a single dead pixel.

Also I don't see any clouding/flashlighting on these?

What is the best way to easily check for all the potential problems?

I'm gonna go OCD on them and make sure they're all good.

Also, I read something online about the physical buttons on the back allowing you to find the remote but I cant figure out how to make it work without cracking open the manuals. Is that feature only available on the advanced remote from Amazon?
post #1137 of 2846 Old 06-28-2017, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
When searching through content in the Amazon app stuff that's 4K should be labeled as 'UHD'. I can't remember if there is any sort of info if something is HDR, but when you start playing 4K content a HDR logo will pop up in the upper right if it indeed is HDR content.
theboomr likes this.
post #1138 of 2846 Old 06-28-2017, 02:13 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
First you have to pay for the hdr/4k subscription. ONce you do that, all titles that are in 4k/hdr should say underneath the title of the show you want to watch. Check for instance House of cards. To verify its running you can access the debug info by pressing * on the title screen before you play the show. Once the show starts there should be info in the top left of the screen showing the play time, bandwidth speed, and resolution its outputting.
post #1139 of 2846 Old 06-28-2017, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuripot View Post
First you have to pay for the hdr/4k subscription. ONce you do that, all titles that are in 4k/hdr should say underneath the title of the show you want to watch. Check for instance House of cards. To verify its running you can access the debug info by pressing * on the title screen before you play the show. Once the show starts there should be info in the top left of the screen showing the play time, bandwidth speed, and resolution its outputting.
yeah i know i have to pay for highest tier for netflix and they actually label their stuff but i thought if you had amazon prime you didn't have to pay any addition fees beyond the prime membership. i've tried watching some of their original content that is supposedly 4k+hdr like mozart show and man in the high castle but i'm not seeing hdr pop for anything?

i see the hdr logo pop on my ps4 and youtube app. thought maybe i was just doing something wrong
post #1140 of 2846 Old 06-28-2017, 02:19 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
yeah i know i have to pay for highest tier for netflix and they actually label their stuff but i thought if you had amazon prime you didn't have to pay any addition fees beyond the prime membership. i've tried watching some of their original content that is supposedly 4k+hdr like mozart show and man in the high castle but i'm not seeing hdr pop for anything?

i see the hdr logo pop on my ps4 and youtube app. thought maybe i was just doing something wrong
Oh ok, misread. HDR doesn't pop up for me in the Roku Netflix app but I believe I;m getting at least 4k resolution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page