*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1615Likes

post #1231 of 2855 Old 07-01-2017, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Added bias lighting, it makes the flash lighting problem almost non existent, I don't even see it anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CrazyAstigmatism likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 2855 Old 07-01-2017, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
For those with more narrow footprints, I can recommend this stand:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013P...woL&ref=plSrch

I got this for the TCL, and it works great. It is very stable even with the 100mm VESA mount on this TV.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
I can recommend this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #1233 of 2855 Old 07-01-2017, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert.J.Farnsworth View Post
Added bias lighting, it makes the flash lighting problem almost non existent, I don't even see it anymore

Which bias lighting solution did you buy if you don't mind me asking?

post #1234 of 2855 Old 07-01-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Shakes View Post
Which bias lighting solution did you buy if you don't mind me asking?

Just a basic white led strip from amazon, looks great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LR3RAVU..._wsiwzbZVZW117

post #1235 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStrach View Post
Does this set not support it? I thought I'd read somewhere that it does.
The specifications page from TCL only lists HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

displayspecifications.com A really good tech site, shows a comparison between the p607 and the p6046. It shows HLG on the p6046 but not on the p607.

http://www.displayspecifications.com...ison/10af1e951

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR
post #1236 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
The specifications page from TCL only lists HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

displayspecifications.com A really good tech site, shows a comparison between the p607 and the p6046. It shows HLG on the p6046 but not on the p607.

http://www.displayspecifications.com...ison/10af1e951

Ah, perhaps I'm just remembering speculation in one of these forums.

I would imagine this could be added after the fact, just like other HDR standards can be added afterwards.
post #1237 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Another suggestion for those with narrow stands. I bought this and it is working great. The swivel feature is nice with the narrow viewing angle. https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Sta.../dp/B00IUUN6L2

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus (returning to XBL with Xbox One X)
post #1238 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Does the lighting shut off with the TV? Or does it stay on for a while? Last time I heard, it doesn't shut off for about 15 minutes.
post #1239 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Does the lighting shut off with the TV? Or does it stay on for a while? Last time I heard, it doesn't shut off for about 15 minutes.

Yes it takes a while to shut off but it does, might be 15mn maybe less I didn't check

post #1240 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
According to TCL answering questions at Amazon, using the headphone jack mutes the internal speakers and there is no setting to override this. One family member with hearing loss uses "tv ears" now and it looks like they are out of luck with the TCLs. Can anyone tell me if the optical audio out is muted by use of the headphone jack? (I haven't looked but I would guess a splitter for the headphone output would let me use external speakers, too.)
post #1241 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just had to post somewhere. I'm kind of late to the party and unsurprisingly have a delivery window currently of Sep 11 - Sep 26 but I've ordered this set! I haven't gotten to the more recent posts yet, but I'm a little hopeful I'll end up with a sooner rather than later delivery date like a number of others seem to have gotten.

Actually kind of exciting, it's my first time upgrading in something around eight to ten years, and it'll be replacing my 40" Samsung LNT4071 as my primary set.
crawlgsx and theboomr like this.
post #1242 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Thanks. Did you go with the 118" size or something smaller?
post #1243 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Shakes View Post
Thanks. Did you go with the 118" size or something smaller?

I got the largest one but it was originally on my 65' TV, you might be able to get Medium size for 55

post #1244 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebbbz View Post
According to TCL answering questions at Amazon, using the headphone jack mutes the internal speakers and there is no setting to override this. One family member with hearing loss uses "tv ears" now and it looks like they are out of luck with the TCLs. Can anyone tell me if the optical audio out is muted by use of the headphone jack? (I haven't looked but I would guess a splitter for the headphone output would let me use external speakers, too.)
you could probably just use the rca audio out jacks for the headphones, may need an rca to 3.5mm y-adpater....
post #1245 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
you could probably just use the rca audio out jacks for the headphones, may need an rca to 3.5mm y-adpater....
I have only seen pictures of the set but do not see any other audio outputs than the optical and headphone. There is what looks like an A/V in with adapter but no output. Have I missed something?
post #1246 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 3
So...how much of a panel lottery is this? I'd kind of rather have the model from BB, but I don't ever want to deal with their customer service. It's pissing me off BB has these and Amazon doesn't. Nobody else does for that matter. I'd gladly pay for a TV with better build quality, but they never have input lag this good. Sonys have double the input lag.

Last edited by rboster; 07-03-2017 at 05:39 AM.
post #1247 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLifeDGenerate View Post
So...how much of a panel lottery is this? I'd kind of rather have the model from BB, but I don't ever want to deal with their customer service. It's pissing me off BB has these and Amazon doesn't. Nobody else does for that matter. I'd gladly pay for a TV with better build quality, but they never have input lag this good. Goddamn Sonys have double the input lag.
I've had mine for about a week, from Best Buy, and it has been fine for all the content I've put through it. Streaming, Tivo, PS3, it has all been good.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
cah95046 likes this.
post #1248 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLifeDGenerate View Post
So...how much of a panel lottery is this? I'd kind of rather have the model from BB, but I don't ever want to deal with their customer service. It's pissing me off BB has these and Amazon doesn't. Nobody else does for that matter. I'd gladly pay for a TV with better build quality, but they never have input lag this good. Goddamn Sonys have double the input lag.

I call BS on the panel lottery. They are all very close. I think the ones with no clouding are just bad pictures / bad lighting / with FALD on.

The clouding is minimal and personally I could care less but that is mostly what is being "lotteried" here. Other than of course no shipping damage / defects which is not a panel lottery.

Sure a very few have had dead pixels but I guarantee you there is a chance of that regardless of what Make and Model or Vendor you choose.

If you like the TV and what is being presented just go buy it

post #1249 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebbbz View Post
I have only seen pictures of the set but do not see any other audio outputs than the optical and headphone. There is what looks like an A/V in with adapter but no output. Have I missed something?
doh, just assumed that the set had them, took a look at my set and nope, no rca audio jacks.... so just use an optical adpater, they work like a charm, i've hooked wireless headphones up to my tvs many times and have never used the headphone jack... or, if you have a receiver, hook your phones to that. amyway, here's a cheap optical adapter that would do the trick:

https://www.amazon.com/PROZOR-Digita...+3.5mm+adapter
The Coolest and crawlgsx like this.
post #1250 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlgsx View Post
I call BS on the panel lottery. They are all very close. I think the ones with no clouding are just bad pictures / bad lighting / with FALD on.

The clouding is minimal and personally I could care less but that is mostly what is being "lotteried" here. Other than of course no shipping damage / defects which is not a panel lottery.

Sure a very few have had dead pixels but I guarantee you there is a chance of that regardless of what Make and Model or Vendor you choose.

If you like the TV and what is being presented just go buy it

what's the matter with you, injecting the voice of reason into the conversation?
crawlgsx likes this.

Last edited by aeneas01; 07-02-2017 at 07:12 PM.
post #1251 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
ok i lied. the gray uniformity on this 2nd set is bugging me. gonna try panel lottery one more time. hopefully third time will be a charm.

not super hopeful as the cnet and rtings reviews both mentioned this as one of the negatives in their review panels. at least their shipping is quick so if this doesn't work out i still have time to do a return.

i am worried about the people posting horror stories about best buy/tre randomly blacklisting them on future returns though lol
I wouldn't even waste my time on it. I believe the gray uniformity you're looking for is not available on a $600 TV. I am sure the rest of us will really enjoy this TV and you should just move on. Two reviewers have already warned you about something you are very sensitive to and your search for that "1%" panel lottery is going to end up with you losing because everyone loses on a lottery. So, don't waste everyone's time and money and move on to a different model that doesn't have the deficiency that bothers you. This is like someone who is sensitive to "judder" buying a TV known for "judder" and hoping he won't notice it on the less expensive TV.
Bob Coxner, cah95046 and abcekids like this.
post #1252 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I was a happy customer of 15 days up until about 10 minutes ago when this happened. No sure whether I should contact Amazon for a replacement, a refund, or contact TCL. Any thoughts would be appreciated as I am about to lost my $#!t right now.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2439.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	2215409  
post #1253 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryan83 View Post
I was a happy customer of 15 days up until about 10 minutes ago when this happened. No sure whether I should contact Amazon for a replacement, a refund, or contact TCL. Any thoughts would be appreciated as I am about to lost my $#!t right now.

It just randomly happened? Did something hit it that would cause that? Did you try resetting the TV to rule out the possibility of some weird software bug? You wouldn't want to go through the whole process of a return just to find out a fix was as simple as that!
post #1254 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 37
That pic looks like an alternative home screen. Was the start up light blinking? A couple of times I lost control of the remote and I simply waited a minute and the screen turned red as the light blinked for about 60 seconds and the screen came back to normal...it was doing a reboot. Why? Don't know..tech glitches I guess.
post #1255 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by sryan83 View Post

Standard first suggestion and has been for 30+ years for almost every electronic device. Unplug the tv, wait 30 seconds and plug it back in again.

I have an HD TCL set. A few weeks ago I was watching when it made a really loud popping noise and the screen went black. The remote didn't work. The reset button on the tv didn't work. I assumed it was totally dead. Then I remembered to unplug it. I plugged it back in and it booted up normally. I haven't had a single problem since then. YMMV.

DirecTV since 1999
Genie DVR
post #1256 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
was happy...for a few days

Quote:
It just randomly happened? Did something hit it that would cause that? Did you try resetting the TV to rule out the possibility of some weird software bug? You wouldn't want to go through the whole process of a return just to find out a fix was as simple as that!
Yes, this just randomly happened. Nothing has touched the TV since I've installed it. I did preform a factory reset based on your suggestion to no avail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrik View Post
That pic looks like an alternative home screen. Was the start up light blinking? A couple of times I lost control of the remote and I simply waited a minute and the screen turned red as the light blinked for about 60 seconds and the screen came back to normal...it was doing a reboot. Why? Don't know..tech glitches I guess.
The pic was taken after I unplugged it for a while and plugged it back in. This is the startup screen. There are no error blink codes given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
Standard first suggestion and has been for 30+ years for almost every electronic device. Unplug the tv, wait 30 seconds and plug it back in again.
I have an HD TCL set. A few weeks ago I was watching when it made a really loud popping noise and the screen went black. The remote didn't work. The reset button on the tv didn't work. I assumed it was totally dead. Then I remembered to unplug it. I plugged it back in and it booted up normally. I haven't had a single problem since then. YMMV.
I have tried unplugged and plugging back in. That was my first thought as well. Needless to say it didn't fix and I'm highly disappointed.
post #1257 of 2855 Old 07-02-2017, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goldman View Post
I wouldn't even waste my time on it. I believe the gray uniformity you're looking for is not available on a $600 TV. I am sure the rest of us will really enjoy this TV and you should just move on. Two reviewers have already warned you about something you are very sensitive to and your search for that "1%" panel lottery is going to end up with you losing because everyone loses on a lottery. So, don't waste everyone's time and money and move on to a different model that doesn't have the deficiency that bothers you. This is like someone who is sensitive to "judder" buying a TV known for "judder" and hoping he won't notice it on the less expensive TV.
probably due to coming from a kuro plasma. actually i was ok with the gray uniformity on the first set...this second one was noticeably worse because it had bad areas closer to the center where my eyes would always settle. my own fault there as i would have accepted the flashlighting over this.

i don't see whose time and money i'm wasting though...outside of my own.
post #1258 of 2855 Old 07-03-2017, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
i don't see whose time and money i'm wasting though...outside of my own.
That would be the money lost by Best Buy repeatedly sending drivers out to you to bring you another set., lost profit on those sets rejected that would most likely been kept by someone else. We all have to make up for that loss.

This practice of repeatedly returning TVs seems to be not that uncommon here on AVS and it has always seemed to be ....um inappropriate to me.

Couldn't you closely look at a set in a showroom befopre deciding it was what you wanted? Me, I am not bothered by some of the "defects" I see mentioned here so I was OK with pre-ordering from Amazon and I'm glad I did - the set I got seems perfect
cah95046, PAPAT and whizkid39 like this.
post #1259 of 2855 Old 07-03-2017, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Noob calibration

Disclaimer:
======
I'm not a professional calibrator.
Please be kind, I'm sharing this in case someone finds them useful.
I used x-rite i1 Display Pro, the one amazon.com sells and ColorHCFR.

Settings:
=====

SO, after spending countless hours trying to get it to play nice, I turn the FALD off and see if it was causing the issues, and voila the grayscale curved up nicely and it was a breeze to set it up.

After changing the settings, I set the FALD to low.

Again, these are for my liking and in no way the most accurate of settings.

Code:

11 PT WB
	Red	Green	Blue		Local Contrast	Low
100%	  1	 46	-209		Backlight	15
90%	 11	 38	 -95		Brightness	50
80%	  1	 21	-110		Contrast	99
70%	 10	 16	 -89		Color		45
60%	-10	 10	 -81
50%	  9	 24	 -59
40%	  7	 16	 -53
30%	 21	 20	 -26
20%	 25	 11	 -11
10%	 13	-26	   5
5%	  1	 2	 -13

Color Space
	Red	Green	Blue
Red	  0	 0	  0
Green	  0	 0	  0
Blue	  0	 0	  0
Cyan	  0	 2	 -7
Magenta	 27	 5	-31
Yellow	 12	-3	  0
I will try to upload the graphs when I get home.

Thanks
garyg2k likes this.
post #1260 of 2855 Old 07-03-2017, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrons View Post

Couldn't you closely look at a set in a showroom befopre deciding it was what you wanted? Me, I am not bothered by some of the "defects" I see mentioned here so I was OK with pre-ordering from Amazon and I'm glad I did - the set I got seems perfect
Actually in this particular case I couldn't. And I'm not quite sure how that would have helped anyways. The set on the sales floor you are looking at isn't going to be the set that gets delivered to you. Just because they don't bother you doesn't mean they aren't legit manufacturing defects. Not sure what amazon has anything to do with it. If anything I would have rather bought from Amazon to get the better remote and better return policy.

Glad some of you got sets you are happy with though.
theboomr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page