AVS Forum banner

*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series (55P607) Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

1M views 7K replies 722 participants last post by  JediFonger 
#1 · (Edited)
*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series 4K Roku TV HDR/DV Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

My 55" TCL 55P607 has arrived.

All owners post up questions etc. Lets see how good this budget set is for all of us....

TCL Website:
http://www.tclusa.com/products/home...lass-p-series-4k-uhd-hdr-roku-smart-tv-55p607

Manual:
https://fccid.io/document.php?id=3306615

Reviews:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-tv/

https://www.cnet.com/products/tcl-55p607/review/

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p607

http://televisions.reviewed.com/content/tcl-p-series-tv-review

http://www.pcmag.com/review/354173/tcl-55p607

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/16/15815602/tcl-roku-tv-4k-series-review-best-budget-tv

Picture Quality:

Picture quality is quite impressive and probably one of the best I have seen for the sub $600.00 category. Colors are vivid and blacks are dark as expected for a fald set.

Pros

Price, Roku interface, Fald with 72 zones, bright screen, vivid colors

CONS

Light Bleed/Clouding (Flashlighting as some seem to call it), Very reflective screen, beware if using in a room with allot of light

Calibration Settings:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Reserved

#3 ·
It is here but stupid Fed Ex guy left it outside and it is storming bad here. I am unboxing it now and hopefully it is not damaged but the box is saturated.

Reactions: theboomr
#4 ·
So I got mine and I am a little disappointed. There was quite a noticeable amount of back light bleed in some corners of the screen and the contrast overall didn't seem much better than my old ks8500 even with fald on. Everything else was great, tv came well packaged, low input lag feels great as well, easy set up etc.

I'm sure the backlight bleed is not common and depending on everyone else's reviews I will probably do an exchange.

Note that the BB is not as bad as in the pictures, my phone "enhanced" it for some reason but it was still noticeable.

Attachments

#6 ·
Hi all,

My unit is arriving Friday and will require me, for the first time, to set up a reasonably complicated AV system. So I have a question, as I'm sure many of you have great experience in set up and some will have even set up this very TV by the time I get mine. Congratulations!

TCL claims the TV is able to pass DD and DTS signals, including Atmos, back through ARC. That's great, I think, because I am figuring that I want to use the Roku interface as my interface for streaming video (Netflix and Amazon). So I ought to connect the TCL to my LAN/wifi and to my AVR via the HDMI/ARC and then input my other sources (Blu-Ray, satellite) directly into the AVR. So—and here's the newbie part—my AVR will be able to switch between all those video "sources" even though the TCL will not actually be a video source, right? Or would it be better to output the audio from the TCL to the AVR via optical cable? Or even to connect the AVR to the internet and pass through the streaming signal from it to the TCL? I've not used Roku, but it gets great reviews. Would the Roku interface still work for streaming that that passed through the AVR?

I am confusing myself and I haven't even got the TV yet!

#9 ·
Sounds like you've got the right idea. Just to clarify for you, here's what you'll want to do to get ARC working correctly:
You'll want to plug an HDMI cable into the TV's ARC port (whichever port that is), and then plug the other end into your AVR's HDMI OUT port. Then you plug all your various devices into the inputs on your AVR, and then you're good to go. The receiver will send video (and audio, if you were wanting to use the TV speakers) from your devices up the HDMI cable to the TV when you're using those devices, and when you're using the TV's streaming apps, the TV will send audio back down the HDMI cable into the AVR, and the AVR will output that audio to your speakers.

#19 ·
Yeah have some light bleed also. I am still dialing it in so we shall see. I suspect reviewers maybe got some cream of the crop sets.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

#26 ·
Tcl 55p607

So far so good. I received my new toy before noon and couldn't wait to set it up. I am one of the people reporting light bleed on at least one corner of the set. It still seems to be a great TV. I will be replacing a very old, non HD, Panasonic plasma with this set in my family room. I also have an 6 year old Sony LCD and a Panasonic ST60 Plasma. I had originally intended to buy a B7/C7 OLED once the prices came down. That was until I started reading all of the hype on this TV. I decided that at this price point I would give it a try.

My initial impression of this set is very favorable with the exception of the light bleed I noted earlier. I will need to wait until I permanently mount it in it's new home and let some of the wow factor to fade before writing a detailed review. I do love the deep blacks available on my ST60 and that is what I am looking for with this TV. The Roku functionality is very easy to use. I am hoping that this ease of use will allow me to ween my family from cable and start streaming all of our content. This TV will eventually be mounted above a fireplace and will not have room for a full HT sound system. Does anyone have any recommendations on a soundbar to complement the video performance of this display? It will be tough because I will hate to spend the same or more for the audio system than I did for the video portion.

Somehow I turned on the automatic text reader function for the GUI menus. I would rather read them for myself. I'm sure there is a setting for it somewhere.

#36 ·
So far so good. I received my new toy before noon and couldn't wait to set it up. I am one of the people reporting light bleed on at least one corner of the set. It still seems to be a great TV. I will be replacing a very old, non HD, Panasonic plasma with this set in my family room. I also have an 6 year old Sony LCD and a Panasonic ST60 Plasma. I had originally intended to buy a B7/C7 OLED once the prices came down. That was until I started reading all of the hype on this TV. I decided that at this price point I would give it a try.

My initial impression of this set is very favorable with the exception of the light bleed I noted earlier. I will need to wait until I permanently mount it in it's new home and let some of the wow factor to fade before writing a detailed review. I do love the deep blacks available on my ST60 and that is what I am looking for with this TV. The Roku functionality is very easy to use. I am hoping that this ease of use will allow me to ween my family from cable and start streaming all of our content. This TV will eventually be mounted above a fireplace and will not have room for a full HT sound system. Does anyone have any recommendations on a soundbar to complement the video performance of this display? It will be tough because I will hate to spend the same or more for the audio system than I did for the video portion.

Somehow I turned on the automatic text reader function for the GUI menus. I would rather read them for myself. I'm sure there is a setting for it somewhere.
in the picture settings click on accessibility and you can turn on/off audio guide (if that's the problem).

#27 · (Edited)
I know most here are well informed in the difference between the two, but for those not familiar with the difference between back-light bleed and IPS Glow. Here is a short demo video.

Back light bleed is a defect, but IPS Glow unavoidable at angled viewing in a dark room. I'm reading that unless the display is Plasma or OLED, IPS Glow is pretty much unavoidable (even with FALD)? I guess something has to distinguish the OLED displays from those with FALD.

Posting this to help those with defective displays better qualify them.

#28 ·
I know most here are well informed in the difference between the two, but for those not familiar with the difference between back-light bleed and IPS Glow. Here is a short demo video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbPaDLPbAQQ

Back light bleed is a defect, but IPS Glow unavoidable at angled viewing in a dark room. I'm reading that unless the display is Plasma or OLED, IPS Glow is pretty much unavoidable (even with FALD)? I guess something has to distinguish the OLED displays from those with FALD.

Posting this to help those with defective displays better qualify them.
These TVs are VA panels, not IPS panels.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#30 ·
Have you guys messed around with all of the settings? Looks like you can only get into everything via the Roku remote app. I do remember at least 1 review talking about changing the local dimming from high to medium and vice versa for certain movies. Was assuming it needed changing for certain action films or even darker movies. Back light bleed isn't something I wanna suffer through. Hoping it's something with the settings and perhaps even a firmware update will fix it soon.

#31 ·
Yes I have messed around with settings, you can set the dimming to high and it really does not change the light bleed. With this being said while watching content the light bleed is almost non existent. So if you want to look at a sold black screen you will see some but otherwise I think it will be fine.

Damn.

How are the blacks on yours? Compared to my ks8500, overall contrast and black uniformity seems worst.. You have one to compare to as well lol
Blacks are very impressing for a 600.00 set. The Roku interface is great and menu for setup is good also. I am not however able to find Directv Now apk for some reason and I have it on my other Roku boxes here.

I watched Battleship last night off vudu and it looked very good without me doing to many color tweaks. I also streamed a little of Superman vs Batman in UHD on Vudu and the Dolby Vision settings kicked in.

I will post more thoughts and update the main topic here with my findings as I spend a little more time with the set.

#37 · (Edited)
My shipment finally got updated to delivery today too!

For calibration of colors, are you guys just eye-balling it right now? My last tv was a 1080p 60" Vizio that I used the THX tune-up app on my iPhone for. It worked well enough for me to be happy, but I'm not sure if it'll work for 4k HDR or not. How are you guys going about it?

#38 · (Edited)
I missed the in stock ordering by a few minutes last night. Originally when I started my process of purchasing it there were 3 in stock, but I took too long making up my mind and looking at more articles that they were gone by the time I went for it. Currently it says Shipping in 2-3 months. Hoping it is sooner but that is still fine with me as it should come before Forza 7 and Xbox One X :).

Looking forward to more of you posting info on yours while I wait :).

Replacing an older LG HD Plasma. Will be comparing side by side with that and an LG 55UJ6300 (2017 model).

#39 ·
Panic time when I got this email note from Amazon:

"We have been contacted by the shipper regarding order #114-6225008-8028xxx and it appears that the package was damaged in transit. We're sorry for any inconvenience this causes."

I quickly jumped to my Amazon order page and discovered it was only a book order. Calm ensued. :)

#40 ·
Mine will be here Friday, but the Denon receiver I ordered (AVR-S530BT) doesn't pass Dolby vision. Trying to decide if it's worth putting up more cash to get a Dolby vision receiver. Planning on doing everything through the Roku interface, and don't have a single Dolby vision enabled HDMI device. Anyone else in the new receiver camp deciding on this?

#45 · (Edited)
In my view, it will be worth buying an HDR compatible receiver eventually, but it's not necessary now. HDR (whether 10, 10+, DV, or HLG) is, by all accounts, a truly noticeable step forward in viewing. With all those formats, though, it may take a while to resolve the future of HDR. I just bought a Denon x4300h, which does 10 and will do DV after a firmware update that won't happen until late in the year or even early 2018. But will it ever do 10+ or HLG? I don't know. My old AVR didn't pass through 4K, though, otherwise I would have waited. If you can wait until the Fall, the 2017 receivers that already do DV will be discounted and we may know more in terms of the format war. I think that's a good strategy. Again, this is just my view; others will feel differently.

Update: Just did a little searching and the 2017 Denons (the x400 series) and the 2016s (the x300 series) will get HLG via firmware when they get DV. As for HDR 10+, neither will get it as it requires HDMI 2.1 which probably won't be out until the 2018 AVRs appear. It's always like this. Wait until you can't stand it anymore, then leap in joyously!