Samsung 88" Q9F QLED HDR UHDTV Launches - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 93Likes

post #1 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6501 Post(s)
Liked: 11252
Samsung 88" Q9F QLED HDR UHDTV Launches

Click the following link for the homepage post: Samsung introduces its extra-large 88" Q9F flagship TV that's packed with the features that make the company's QLEDs so appealing, like 100% color volume.

Here's the full press release:

Samsung Electronics announced today the release of its new 88-inch QLED TV, the Q9, in North America and Korea. Having launched in Southeast Asia earlier this year, the Q9 is set to solidify Samsung’s top position in the global ultra-premium TV market. The new model is also scheduled to be released in Europe later this month.

“At Samsung, we are aiming to expand our footprint in the ultra-premium TV market with our ultra-large QLED TV models that embody the perfect combination of technology and art,” said Jongsuk Chu, Senior Vice President of the Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. “With their superior picture quality and innovative features, we are confident that our QLED TV lineup will continue to drive sales and solidify Samsung’s leadership in the global TV market.”

The Q9 features superb picture quality and performance as well as a sleek design developed with consumers’ living spaces in mind. The model was awarded record-high scores by Video Magazin, one of Germany’s most renowned consumer electronics magazines, and praised as ‘a best practice for HDR TV.’

As consumers continue to demand larger screens and premium TVs, Samsung has introduced its 88-inch QLED TV model to the global marketplace to add to its QLED TV lineup, which also includes 55-inch, 65-inch and 75-inch models.

As the only TV to achieve 100 percent color volume, Samsung QLED TVs reproduce rich and colorful images just as they were intended to be seen using metal quantum dot technology. The QLED TV also offers remarkable brightness and a wide color gamut, which allow the TVs to deliver detailed colors and subtle contrast even at peak brightness.

The QLED TVs Boundless 360 Design helps it elevate the ambience of the various rooms where it is placed, and its 1.88mm, transparent optical cable, known as the Invisible Connection, allows it to be connected to peripheral devices without the typical messy cables. A No Gap Wall-mount completes the QLED TVs flawless design by allowing the screen to be mounted flush against the wall.

The QLED TVs One Remote Control feature enables users to control the TV’s connected devices through a single remote.

In June, Samsung also launched its 82-inch premium UHD TV (MU8000) as part of the brand’s strategy to provide consumers with a wider variety of screen size options.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-04-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Oh boy - for $20K you can get famous Samsung "banding" on an 88" set!

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900E & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #3 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 445
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/qled-q9f-q9

Skip to local dimming. Instant deal breaker. There are TV's for under $900 that have better blacks. Edge lit backlight over Full Array? No contest. What a joke. Name brand bandwagon anyone?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
siamesenick, kevinlg and sickkent like this.

=======================================

My P65-C1 Calibration Settings (3.3.18.1)

post #4 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2763 Post(s)
Liked: 2460
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
(Press Release)
As the only TV to achieve 100 percent color volume, Samsung QLED TVs reproduce rich and colorful images just as they were intended to be seen using metal quantum dot technology. The QLED TV also offers remarkable brightness and a wide color gamut, which allow the TVs to deliver detailed colors and subtle contrast even at peak brightness.
It is cool that it achieves 100% color volume. However, aren’t the newest OLED TVs nipping at its heals? Aren’t those TVs just a few percent behind the Q9 even for color volume?
post #5 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
It is cool that it achieves 100% color volume. However, aren’t the newest OLED TVs nipping at its heals? Aren’t those TVs just a few percent behind the Q9 even for color volume?
Yes and no. Within the luminance range of an OLED, that technology is just a few percentage points behind. But, since QLED gets about twice as bright as OLED, any content/viewing situation that takes advantage of that extra light output is going to look considerably more vibrant (viewed head on). Simply put, the LCD has more headroom in the highlights, and more color volume in that range because there's no reliance on a white sub-pixel. With content mastered to 1000 nits, OLEDs are simply skipping that, while the Q9F can light up a good-sized square at that level. Not sure what the 88" can do, but the 65" can light up a 25% square with >1000 nits with no sacrifice in color intensity.

I see the 88" Q9F as the ultimate Super Bowl TV, and also my dream display for playing Grand Theft Auto 5. personally, I'll go with projection when it comes to lights out viewing of wide aspect ratio 4K cinematic content. But I certainly understand the appeal of OLED blacks in that context. To me, most of the time size and vibrancy make more of an impact than the difference between edgelit LCD's "OK" black levels and OLEDs "infinite" or "perfect" black levels. But with movies where there are lots of black backgrounds, no question OLED is the champion for deep blacks and especially rendering bright objects on that black background.

Anyhow, I probably said too much already because these days the mood is to simply attack attack attack and be negative and not recognize different usage scenarios. An 88" Q9F is an impressive TV by any standard, and until OLED starts being available at that size (and at what price???) this is gonna qualify as one of the most impressive TVs out there.

Personally, I think (aka IMO) Samsung would be savvy to bring this TV's price down to $15,000 as rapidly as possible, so it's a dollar-for-dollar price match to the MSRP of the OLED77G7P.

post #6 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2763 Post(s)
Liked: 2460
Question

Quote:
Anyhow, I probably said too much already because these days the mood is to simply attack attack attack and be negative and not recognize different usage scenarios. An 88" Q9F is an impressive TV by any standard, and until OLED starts being available at that size (and at what price???) this is gonna qualify as one of the most impressive TVs out there.

Personally, I think (aka IMO) Samsung would be savvy to bring this TV's price down to $15,000 as rapidly as possible, so it's a dollar-for-dollar price match to the MSRP of the OLED77G7P.
Thank you for your insight. It is appreciated.

The thing that concerns me is that while the Q9 can achieve well above 1000 NITs for a 25% window it doesn’t appear to perform anywhere near that with a real-world scene. The color volume measurements for the most part appear to be fairly close between the Q9 and the best OLEDs despite the OLED having a much lower peak light output but also a much more consistent light output.

It makes me wonder if the Q9 has outstanding light output for test patterns but not really when it comes to watching real content? I also wonder if that translates down to color volume as well? Does the Q9 perform outstanding on paper and then not really live up to expectations when it comes to watching real content?

I only get to see the Q9 with real content and it looks fabulous. However, I must say that the OLEDs sitting right next to it don’t look far behind at all even in color reproduction and volume. The testing also seems to back that up since the Q9 really appears to under perform with real world content.
sickkent likes this.
post #7 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
Thank you for your insight. It is appreciated.

The thing that concerns me is that while the Q9 can achieve well above 1000 NITs for a 25% window it doesn’t appear to perform anywhere near that with a real-world scene. The color volume measurements for the most part appear to be fairly close between the Q9 and the best OLEDs despite the OLED having a much lower peak light output but also a much more consistent light output.

It makes me wonder if the Q9 has outstanding light output for test patterns but not really when it comes to watching real content? I also wonder if that translates down to color volume as well? Does the Q9 perform outstanding on paper and then not really live up to expectations when it comes to watching real content?

I only get to see the Q9 with real content and it looks fabulous. However, I must say that the OLEDs sitting right next to it don’t look far behind at all even in color reproduction and volume. The testing also seems to back that up since the Q9 really appears to under perform with real world content.
I find that the Q9F looks great in general. It's particularly good at dealing with rooms that have mixed lighting, its screen absorbs reflections well and looks deep black under ambient light. That's an important quality to me because I don't do much TV viewing in the dark, I save that for projection. A good screen coating goes a long way toward providing what typical consumers expect from a TV, picture quality-wise.

I'd liken it to speakers that don't necessarily measure that well, but that manage to sound fantastic with most content, but then struggle with orchestral classical so hardcore audiophiles say "no thanks." But if you like mainstream contemporary music then you'll probably love the sound. That sort of thing...

I don't think that the Q9F's good performance is restricted to test patterns. But the situations where it does best tend to be different than the situations videophiles with an affinity for emissive displays find ideal.

Last edited by imagic; 08-04-2017 at 09:20 AM.
post #8 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 244
i was at Best Buy yesterday and they were setting up the UM82MU8000 in a corner in the opposite direction of all of the Sony and LG OLEDS, what does that tell you? By the way I was not that impressed.
post #9 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
i was at Best Buy yesterday and they were setting up the UM82MU8000 in a corner in the opposite direction of all of the Sony and LG OLEDS, what does that tell you? By the way I was not that impressed.
It tells me that a shopper looking to spend $4500 on an 82" TV and a shopper looking to spend $5000 on a 65" TV are two different things.

post #10 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 907
Quote:
It tells me that a shopper looking to spend $4500 on an 82" TV and a shopper looking to spend $5000 on a 65" TV are two different things.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."
post #11 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Only in America size is more important than quality. Even if quality is cheaper.

sickkent likes this.

=======================================

My P65-C1 Calibration Settings (3.3.18.1)
post #12 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
Only in America size is more important than quality. Even if quality is cheaper.

I suppose that is true, I have an OLED in the living room with an amazing picture but I still prefer to watch movies and TV shows on my 135inch projected screen even though the blacks are no were near the OLED and the color isnt as deep and so on.
skoolpsyk and King Richard like this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Darbee 5000s
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR),
Polk Audio TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR), (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, Nexus Player
post #13 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Sometimes I wonder if people differ in their sensitivity to brightness. I've seen plenty of people complain about 3D being "too dim" on average and I've RARELY ever thought that (realizing that my projector bulb needed to be replaced was one of those time), but, more importantly, I have no idea why anyone would want a screen with 1000 nit brightness. That sounds painful and unnecessary.
post #14 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It did not look good where it was, putting it next an OLED would only make it worse. One of the sales guys said something to me about buying one, he did not know me. Before I could say a word two of the other sales guys laughed at him said that I would never buy that saying that I have owned just about ever generation of the Pioneer Elite Plasmas and now an OLED. My next tv will be 80+ inches, but an OLED that size. I am curious to hear what others think of it when they get a chance to see it as well.
post #15 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2650 Post(s)
Liked: 2427
Do the display needs to have everything at max to get that 100% color volume reading? Doesn't that make the colors less accurate with worse black performance? introducing more haloing / blooming.

Or It will produce 100% color volume without driving the panel over its limitation?
post #16 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Going back to edge lit for their flagship does no good when reviews keep comparing its big weakness against the top OLEDs and Z9D. The market has decided they greatly value deep blacks for premium tvs.

Something tells me Samsung will copy Sony's lineup next year, minus the oled.
sickkent likes this.
post #17 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
It did not look good where it was, putting it next an OLED would only make it worse. One of the sales guys said something to me about buying one, he did not know me. Before I could say a word two of the other sales guys laughed at him said that I would never buy that saying that I have owned just about ever generation of the Pioneer Elite Plasmas and now an OLED. My next tv will be 80+ inches, but an OLED that size. I am curious to hear what others think of it when they get a chance to see it as well.
I'm sure it'll be amazing, but I also can't wait to see the price tag on that.
skoolpsyk likes this.

post #18 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyArray View Post
Going back to edge lit for their flagship does no good when reviews keep comparing its big weakness against the top OLEDs and Z9D. The market has decided they greatly value deep blacks for premium tvs.

Something tells me Samsung will copy Sony's lineup next year, minus the oled.
Can you please show me the price of those OLEDs at 88"? I think the 100" Z9 is 59K...and thats an LCD.
post #19 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post

Everything is not so black and white when making purchasing decisions. Also, what people focus on when watching TV is also not so black and white. Nor do comments like 'everyone' says this and 'everyone' says that is true either. Finally, find me the study that says "Only in America" is size more important than quality. Fake News!
King Richard likes this.
post #20 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I kinda feel like an 82" MU for $4,500 is the WOW buried in this article.
pos1121, sk373 and nathanddrews like this.

AVS Forum Marketing Solutions
m. 416-578-0769
e. dhamilton@verticalscope.com
post #21 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
Can you please show me the price of those OLEDs at 88"? I think the 100" Z9 is 59K...and thats an LCD.
If you're ballin at that level what's a couple grand more gonna hurt, right?

Guess I was talking more in general for this model.
post #22 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 104
No 3D, no deal for a home theater replacement
robdman, stef2 and pilotart like this.
post #23 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:

This^^^. As people like me who would get it for the size and my living room lighting/sitting conditions would get it....though I think it should be 12K :-).
post #24 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm sure it'll be amazing, but I also can't wait to see the price tag on that.
I am hoping once they start 3D printing OLED panels we are going to see $25,000 to $30,000 for 87". Time will only tell and if the demand is there for larger screens to drive the prices down. I of course am not expecting it to in the $10,000 range or less like others are expecting. Currently you can get 2016 G6 77" for $14,000 I think.
post #25 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
I see the 88" Q9F as the ultimate Super Bowl TV, and also my dream display for playing Grand Theft Auto 5. personally, I'll go with projection when it comes to lights out viewing of wide aspect ratio 4K cinematic content.
Over the Z9D 100"? Really?

Z9D 100" will decimate any Q9F.
post #26 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzdog View Post
I kinda feel like an 82" MU for $4,500 is the WOW buried in this article.
I saw that in the store, had them change the feed to DirectTV/CNN/ESPN and I was very far from impressed with the quality of the upscaling when I had the 940E, Z9, A1E sitting right next to it. There is a reason it is so cheap...though I guess there are those out there who will love the picture. I was a bit dissapointed in that same store that the Q9 wasn't there to play with. They said they sold it. That's my next mission, wait for the a store to get an 88" so I can see its upscaling in person next to those same TVs. I saw the upscaling of a smaller sized Q9 in a different store and though I thought it looked great, but it was so far from the other TVs, it was impossible to compare them properly and unlike the other store, they wouldn't move their TVs for me :-) The color and brightness were amazing though and the content looked quite sharp.
fatuglyguy likes this.
post #27 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=Keithian;54583460]Can you please show me the price of those OLEDs at 88"? I think the 100" Z9 is 59K...and thats an LCD.[/QUOTE

I think you are right the Z9D 100" is $59,000 sounds about right. It seems that when you are talking the higher end models for every 10" upgrade you pay $10,000 so $1,000 an inch. Pretty scary. The larger panels cost so much because the uniformity is really bad and they have to toss a ton of panels just to get one good panel, at least that is how it was explained to me. If samsung can get the money they are asking for their flagship panel all the power to them. I personally like OLED but OLED like LED and LCD have their own issues. I can not think of one technology that trumps all of the others, it just comes down to what fits your room environment is your viewing room very bright or dark or in between.
post #28 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 03:35 PM

[quote=Dave-T;54584014]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
Can you please show me the price of those OLEDs at 88"? I think the 100" Z9 is 59K...and thats an LCD.[/QUOTE

I think you are right the Z9D 100" is $59,000 sounds about right. It seems that when you are talking the higher end models for every 10" upgrade you pay $10,000 so $1,000 an inch. Pretty scary. The larger panels cost so much because the uniformity is really bad and they have to toss a ton of panels just to get one good panel, at least that is how it was explained to me. If samsung can get the money they are asking for their flagship panel all the power to them. I personally like OLED but OLED like LED and LCD have their own issues. I can not think of one technology that trumps all of the others, it just comes down to what fits your room environment is your viewing room very bright or dark or in between.
Agree with everything you wrote. I'll be surprised if people are willing to put down 20K on the Q9 even if their living room conditions like mine are suited for it and they want that 88" size. It's way too much to pay per inch when the quality is quite good for a 75" LCD like the Z9 or the LG G7 at 77". However, if you do want to sacrifice the advantages of FALD and OLED for the reasons one may have to get this 88" monster with its excellent picture quality despite it being Edge Lit knowing the disadvantages that brings, then its best to wait for the price to at least drop to the 15K range so as the OP stated its at least comparable to the LG G7 at the same price (the LG being 77"). If it doesn't drop by the end of November, then I'll wait to see what else is on the horizon in 2018.

Last edited by Keithian; 08-04-2017 at 03:42 PM.
post #29 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Wow, a MU8000 isn't as good as an OLED? How absolutely shocking that their lower mid-level TV doesn't look as good as a high-end TV.
Up next, discussing why an Accord isn't as good as a Rolls Royce to go along with the discussion of non-existent TVs.
sk373 and Blitzdog like this.
post #30 of 79 Old 08-04-2017, 11:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 1676
10yr burn-in warranty?

that marketing promise might backfire on them. seems like even a whisper of burn-in can cause consumer panic these days.

i dunno, i'll just say i don't get it. looking at the price, the tech, the features, and what is claimed of the performance, it doesn't add up to me. 'q' or not, i just don't see the value in an LED display over a couple grand. like, i'm personally NEVER going to build a full fledged home theater around an LED(probably not even an OLED at current sizes), so spending more than a couple grand on a display to watch streaming tv shows on, is odd(unless you've got the money, i don't). since the last poster brought up cars, this is like buying that rolls royce for your winter beater. only makes sense if you've already got a fleet of ferarri's and deep pockets. kinda odd if you're still rocking the '85 trans am

you can get 90-95% as much, for 20-25% of the cost, maybe less depending on your priorities
sickkent likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One

Last edited by fierce_gt; 08-04-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
88" q9f , qled , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page