• 1 Post By TATITO
  • 1 Post By Cleveland Plasma

post #1 of 25 Old 09-17-2017, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 21
sony 940e or 65in z9d

the tv im on now is an 10 or 11 year old kdl52xbr4,...and im eager to join into the 4k hdr age,.....my 2 choices are between the 75inch 940e or the 65 z9d,....at first my only dilemma was just screen size,....but many sites have stated issues with slow pixel response on both these sets,...and im a huge gamer,...any info or feedback would greatly be appreciated,...thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-17-2017, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For the money those will set you back maybe look at a 75" 900E or either LG or Sony's OLED offerings.
In reading reviews the Z9D has fast motion blurr issues and the 940 is just pricey for what your getting and no 3D.
If your after the X1 processor the 65" A1E has it too and it's cheaper than the Z9D plus it has a better on board audio set than either of the other 2 your looking at , IMO of course.

Sent from my LgG4 using Tapatalk-pro

I miss Tribune

Last edited by joe01880; 09-17-2017 at 07:01 AM.
post #3 of 25 Old 09-17-2017, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Nope, no way I'd take a 900E over a 940E. The 900E is the lower-end alternative when you cannot afford the 940E. No Dolby Vision, inferior zones (look at the contrast difference when you have local dimming active. The 940E is almost double it). But, to give it credit, the 900E does have excellent motion handling and a similar color gamut and color volume, with slightly higher lag numbers.

I'd take the 940E over the Z9D, because it provides most of the performance at a much larger size. However, the OLED is an interesting proposal, because it has significantly better motion handling and slightly better input lag. However, despite being an OLED owner, I personally would still choose the 75" over the 65", assuming you're not sitting very close to the screen.

Last edited by Just_Nick; 09-17-2017 at 07:09 AM.

post #4 of 25 Old 09-17-2017, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATITO View Post
the tv im on now is an 10 or 11 year old kdl52xbr4,...and im eager to join into the 4k hdr age,.....my 2 choices are between the 75inch 940e or the 65 z9d,....at first my only dilemma was just screen size,....but many sites have stated issues with slow pixel response on both these sets,...and im a huge gamer,...any info or feedback would greatly be appreciated,...thanks in advance.
The 65" Z9D's pixel response isn't much/any faster than the 940E's.

If you check the Z9D owner's thread, I think they'll tell you that Sony sourced the 75" Z9D panels differently than the 65". The 75" panels are much faster than what RTings posted when they reviewed 65" Z9D (and also the 940E).

The Sony 900E has a much faster response time than the 940E or the 65" Z9D. Unfortunately, it also means a lot fewer zones (12, I think), so less ability to control light and diminish blooming, lower contrast/peak brightness, and also no Dolby Vision firmware update (X1, not X1 Extreme).

I own a 940E. It's a great set. The motion handling on it is such that I've been able to dial in the motion settings and remove/eliminate motion blur for live sports and ticker judder for news, which was my primary concern. I used to be a hardcore gamer. Now I'm a casual gamer. For casual gaming, it's fine. I think if I played like I did 8 years ago, I would be annoyed/unhappy with the 940E as a gaming set.

If you can afford the 75" Z9D, that's what you should get. If you can't, I think you have to make a decision on what's more important to you (gaming = 900E, movies = 940E).
post #5 of 25 Old 09-17-2017, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

If you check the Z9D owner's thread, I think they'll tell you that Sony sourced the 75" Z9D panels differently than the 65". The 75" panels are much faster than what RTings posted when they reviewed 65" Z9D (and also the 940E).

The Sony 900E has a much faster response time than the 940E or the 65" Z9D. Unfortunately, it also means a lot fewer zones (12, I think), so less ability to control light and diminish blooming, lower contrast/peak brightness, and also no Dolby Vision firmware update (X1, not X1 Extreme).

I own a 940E. It's a great set. The motion handling on it is such that I've been able to dial in the motion settings and remove/eliminate motion blur for live sports and ticker judder for news, which was my primary concern. I used to be a hardcore gamer. Now I'm a casual gamer. For casual gaming, it's fine. I think if I played like I did 8 years ago, I would be annoyed/unhappy with the 940E as a gaming set.

If you can afford the 75" Z9D, that's what you should get. If you can't, I think you have to make a decision on what's more important to you (gaming = 900E, movies = 940E).
Why does no one ever mention the 930E. It is probably the least discussed SONY model. I dont have any of these models. I currently own a 2013 4K SONY model the 65 inch 850A (I believe the first 4K SONY set released without those hideous side speakers --remember them?)---and plan on upgrading soon (HDR,etc). And I have been going back and forth and reading reviews and reading this forum and watching YOU TUBE videos on all the SONY models I can choose from and still confused on which I should choose. I have come to realize all sets are not perfect ..If your looking for a perfect set you probably wont be buying any set soon.
NOTE: I am not a gamer at all...I dont watch sports often either...my set will be strictly for Cable (OPTIMUM) broadcast TV and of cause Blu Ray discs (4K Blu ray and standard ) and I sit fairly close to my TV being in a small NYC apartment.
Help me make a decision.

Last edited by aflorida; 09-17-2017 at 07:58 AM.
post #6 of 25 Old 09-17-2017, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
Why does no one ever mention the 930E. It is probably the least discussed SONY model. I dont have any of these models. I currently own a 2013 4K SONY model the 65 inch 850A (I believe the first 4K SONY set released without those hideous side speakers --remember them?)---and plan on upgrading soon (HDR,etc). And I have been going back and forth and reading reviews and reading this forum and watching YOU TUBE videos on all the SONY models I can choose from and still confused on which I should choose. I have come to realize all sets are not perfect ..If your looking for a perfect set you probably wont be buying any set soon.
NOTE: I am not a gamer at all...I dont watch sports often either...my set will be strictly for Cable (OPTIMUM) broadcast TV and of cause Blu Ray discs (4K Blu ray and standard ) and I sit fairly close to my TV being in a small NYC apartment.
Help me make a decision.
1. Because it's not a 75"
2. Because it has inferior edge-lighting.

It is mediocre in pretty much every category where it should excel, and it is only okay in the light control category (as are most edge-lit TVs). Unlike the very popular KS8000 of 2016, which did excellent in most categories, it is also way overpriced. You could buy two KS8000s for the price of the 65" 930E. You could buy a 75" KS9000 on sale for the price of a 930E. You could buy a 75" 900E for $300 more. All of which are superior to the 930E.
aflorida likes this.

Last edited by Just_Nick; 09-17-2017 at 08:32 AM.
post #7 of 25 Old 09-17-2017, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
Help me make a decision.
Well let's take a step back. OP *specifically* asked about 65" Z9D vs. 75" 940E. Not only that, but asked a specific question about motion blur and gaming.

I generally think it's odd to compare two different sized TVs (as your couch/viewing distance isn't usually a variable, so there's an optimum *size* you should probably be gunning for), but I'm assuming OP feels budget constrained (as many of us are) and the 75" Z9D may be more than he wants to spend. So I tried to focus my response on those two sets, and what I have read/experienced with regard to motion and pixel response on them.

I bought a 940E, and not a 930E, because:
1) I wanted 75" size
2) I wanted FALD, not edge-lit, for better light control.

It's as simple as that, IMO. If you're instead looking for a 65" TV, I think your options are the 900E, the 930E, and the Z9D. The 900E won't be getting the dolby vision update (if that's important to you) and only has 12 dimmable zones (so technically "FALD", but not a very robust implementation), but has the faster pixel response time. The 930E will get the DV update, but is edge-lit. And the 65" Z9D would be getting the dolby vision update and has a very robust FALD backlight system, but as I indicated above, the 65" version tested a slower pixel response time than the 900E did, which could be important to a serious gamer.

I really like my 940E, FWIW.
aflorida likes this.
post #8 of 25 Old 09-17-2017, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3032 Post(s)
Liked: 3222
Z9D is the better set, but it is about 20% smaller I would get the 940E myself, number one reason for buyer remorse is screen size and NOT picture quality......
robdman likes this.
post #9 of 25 Old 09-17-2017, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

You may or may not notice the slow pixel response I would find a place with a good return policy and try the television to see how noticeable it is. As far as which one I would pick if I were in your situation I would pick the Sony X940E.

-The x940e has a glossy screen and I prefer that over the semi glossy screen which the Z9D uses.
-The x940e is 10 inches bigger
-The x940e price is dropping faster than the Z9D so you may be able to get a really good deal on one that is cheaper than the 65inch Z9D.

Set up 1|Sony XBR65A1E|Pioneer Elite SC-97|Panasonic DMP-UB900|Playstation 4 Pro|Apple TV 4th Generation|Xbox One|5.2.4 Dolby Atmos and DTSX|
Set up 2|LG 55EF9500|Yamaha RX-A1060BL|Xbox One S|Playstation 4|Nintendo Switch|Amazon Fire TV|3.2.2 Dolby Atmos|
Set up 3|Sony XBR-55HX929|Harman Kardon AVR 1510S|Xbox 360|Wii U|Playstation 3|
post #10 of 25 Old 09-21-2017, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you

thanks for all the replies,...didn't think i would get so many so fast,....love this forum ever since i became a member.the struggle is real when buying a new tv these days,sometimes miss the more simpler times of super vhs.I work and sweat hard for my money (like we all do),and for me the amount that these tvs cost is a fortune and if im going to spend that kind of money im going to do some C.S.I.,Sherlock Holmes type investigation to get my moneys worth,...sorry about the rant,...as posted before the tv iv been on for 11 years is the sony bravia kdl52xbr4 and its still going strong,....and iv looked everywhere,even in the manual to try and find the pixel response time and gaming lag time,..iv had no luck,...tv motion imo anyways is subjective,..one person might see blur,...while another will not,...and im just trying to compare what my eyes have been seeing on my tv for 11 years and have no problem with to what the 65 z9d and 940e numbers are to determine if what others have complained about these sets pixel response will bother me,....again thanks.
post #11 of 25 Old 09-21-2017, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe01880 View Post
For the money those will set you back maybe look at a 75" 900E or either LG or Sony's OLED offerings.
In reading reviews the Z9D has fast motion blurr issues and the 940 is just pricey for what your getting and no 3D.
If your after the X1 processor the 65" A1E has it too and it's cheaper than the Z9D plus it has a better on board audio set than either of the other 2 your looking at , IMO of course.

Sent from my LgG4 using Tapatalk-pro
oleds are good tvs but i have a problem with the abl on them,....no matter which tv i get will also buy a good sound bar with it so the tv audio itself is not an issue for me,and as for the 900e,...good tv also,..best motion on a sony tv but im looking for aomething with higher nits,....thanks for your input.
post #12 of 25 Old 09-21-2017, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
Nope, no way I'd take a 900E over a 940E. The 900E is the lower-end alternative when you cannot afford the 940E. No Dolby Vision, inferior zones (look at the contrast difference when you have local dimming active. The 940E is almost double it). But, to give it credit, the 900E does have excellent motion handling and a similar color gamut and color volume, with slightly higher lag numbers.

I'd take the 940E over the Z9D, because it provides most of the performance at a much larger size. However, the OLED is an interesting proposal, because it has significantly better motion handling and slightly better input lag. However, despite being an OLED owner, I personally would still choose the 75" over the 65", assuming you're not sitting very close to the screen.
oleds are amazing tv's,and a part of me still has not taken the a1e out of the choices,...but iv grown more accustomed to the high nits count of led tvs,..and i agree with you 100% about the 900e,...iv been on a 52 inch (biggest tv iv owned) for 11 years so 65 would be a massive improvement,.....75 on the other hand would just be epic....thanks you so much for the response.
post #13 of 25 Old 09-21-2017, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

iv read somewhere,cant remember now,about an owner of the z9d 65inch calling sony teck and was told both 65 and 75 use same panels,....dont know weather thats true or not,....also agree with you about the 900e,...like i posted above im trying to find lag and pixel response time numbers form my current 11 year old bravia kdl52xbr4 so i can compare those numbers to the z9d and 940e to see if i would even tell the difference,...65inches is more than good enough for my needs,..but 75 would just be epic...thank for the response.
post #14 of 25 Old 09-21-2017, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well let's take a step back. OP *specifically* asked about 65" Z9D vs. 75" 940E. Not only that, but asked a specific question about motion blur and gaming.

I generally think it's odd to compare two different sized TVs (as your couch/viewing distance isn't usually a variable, so there's an optimum *size* you should probably be gunning for), but I'm assuming OP feels budget constrained (as many of us are) and the 75" Z9D may be more than he wants to spend. So I tried to focus my response on those two sets, and what I have read/experienced with regard to motion and pixel response on them.

I bought a 940E, and not a 930E, because:
1) I wanted 75" size
2) I wanted FALD, not edge-lit, for better light control.

It's as simple as that, IMO. If you're instead looking for a 65" TV, I think your options are the 900E, the 930E, and the Z9D. The 900E won't be getting the dolby vision update (if that's important to you) and only has 12 dimmable zones (so technically "FALD", but not a very robust implementation), but has the faster pixel response time. The 930E will get the DV update, but is edge-lit. And the 65" Z9D would be getting the dolby vision update and has a very robust FALD backlight system, but as I indicated above, the 65" version tested a slower pixel response time than the 900E did, which could be important to a serious gamer.

I really like my 940E, FWIW.
just boggles the mind why sony would give these beasts of tvs all the bells and whistles but somewhat skimp out on the panels pixel time,....like i posted above,..trying to find the lag and pixel response numbers on my current bravia kdl52xbr4 that my eyes have been happily looking at for 11 years to see how they compare number wise to the 65 z9d and the 940e,...perhaps i wont even notice it,and you are right,...75 z9d wayyy out of my wallet reach,im somewhat pushing it now.my viewing distance to my entertainment center is 11 feet,give or take,...even more if i get the 75inch and hang it up on the wall,....65inch is a massive improvement compared to 52inches more than enough for my needs,.....however,...75 would just be epic,...like my own personal I max.thanks for your much appreciated two cents.
post #15 of 25 Old 09-21-2017, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Z9D is the better set, but it is about 20% smaller I would get the 940E myself, number one reason for buyer remorse is screen size and NOT picture quality......
52 inch bravia for 11 years 65inches would be a huge improvement,....but 75 would be epic,...perhaps im just getting greedy,...viewing distance is 11 feet,...more if i hang the tv up on wall,...thanks for your response,......im also in cleveland.
post #16 of 25 Old 09-21-2017, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by statealum View Post
You may or may not notice the slow pixel response I would find a place with a good return policy and try the television to see how noticeable it is. As far as which one I would pick if I were in your situation I would pick the Sony X940E.

-The x940e has a glossy screen and I prefer that over the semi glossy screen which the Z9D uses.
-The x940e is 10 inches bigger
-The x940e price is dropping faster than the Z9D so you may be able to get a really good deal on one that is cheaper than the 65inch Z9D.
thanks for the response,....been trying to find the lag and pixel response time on my current 11 year old bravia kdl52xbr4 so i can compare the numbers to my two choices for new tv,like you said perhaps i wont even notice it,do all my gaming and movie in pitch black so i dont think any gloss on tv screen will bother me,...and if i get the 940e it will be hanged on wall,...but after purchase will just use it with provided stand to see if i have any problems with it,.... no sense going to all the bother if im not satisfied,..again thanks for the reply.
statealum likes this.
post #17 of 25 Old 09-21-2017, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
iv read somewhere,cant remember now,about an owner of the z9d 65inch calling sony teck and was told both 65 and 75 use same panels,....
I don't own a Z9D, so I can't say for sure.

What I can tell you is that the Z9D owners thread (the last time I looked) feels pretty strongly that they are different panels with different pixel response times.

After RTings reviewed the 65" version and measured a slower pixel response time, a lot of 75" owners e-mailed them/commented... I believe they've revised their Z9D review with a footnote/comment that the 75" panel is different from what they reviewed.

TIFWIW
post #18 of 25 Old 09-21-2017, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
thanks for the response,....been trying to find the lag and pixel response time on my current 11 year old bravia kdl52xbr4 so i can compare the numbers to my two choices for new tv,like you said perhaps i wont even notice it,do all my gaming and movie in pitch black so i dont think any gloss on tv screen will bother me,...and if i get the 940e it will be hanged on wall,...but after purchase will just use it with provided stand to see if i have any problems with it,.... no sense going to all the bother if im not satisfied,..again thanks for the reply.
When it comes to motion blur, pixel response time is only part of the equation.

RTings has a pretty good video on the topic on youtube. I'd recommend you check that out.

It's an interesting/exciting new time to be buying a TV, because I think motion processing has finally *turned the corner* such that the age-old-rule-of-thumb of:
Step 1 - take TV out of box
Step 2 - power tv on
Step 3 - turn off ALL processing settings

.... is no longer the optimal way to go.

I've had great success with my Sony 940E "processing out" all motion blurring by way of frame interpolation and black frame insertion... and judder/de-judder too.

But the phenomena of "black trail" is mostly/entirely a pixel-response-time issue, and if you're a hardcore gamer, there is no processing "fix" for that, and you may not be happy with the 940E (or 65" Z9D). You'll probably need to go with the faster panel in the 900E (and take the hit on total zones, peak brightness, and step down in processor), or "step up" to the 75" Z9D...

Again, JMO, and YMMV.
post #19 of 25 Old 09-21-2017, 08:53 AM
Industry Insider

One thing is for sure, with the tiny 2 day sale going that kinda changes things on the finance end, especially if you are looking at street price......
post #20 of 25 Old 09-21-2017, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
One day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
One thing is for sure, with the tiny 2 day sale going that kinda changes things on the finance end, especially if you are looking at street price......
It was only a 1 day sale at BB, lucky for me after calling on line yesterday at BB asking how long sale was and told nothing I went in and spoke to the Magnolia manager who told me good through this Saturday I then asked for a store manager and was told the same thing. This morning I saw the old price on line and at ten o clock I went to store again and they honored the price from yesterday. I am taking delivery Oct 14 just so I will be in the 45 day window for black Friday. It seems the management is not aware of the sales or how long they will last!

CHAS ZOSS OPPO EAP 2nd ROUND late entry!
post #21 of 25 Old 09-30-2017, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
oleds are good tvs but i have a problem with the abl on them,....no matter which tv i get will also buy a good sound bar with it so the tv audio itself is not an issue for me,and as for the 900e,...good tv also,..best motion on a sony tv but im looking for aomething with higher nits,....thanks for your input.
I'm not getting this thing with "nits" all of a sudden. NIT's = how bright the tv will get right? From what I am reading manufacturers are increasing nits or brightness to make the lack of black seem darker, isn't that just a type of marketing lie to the consumer. "Hey, look at this overly bright tv, don't the grays look blacker now"
Paying someone a lot of money to inadvertently lie to me doesn't make sense or am I missing something?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I miss Tribune
post #22 of 25 Old 09-30-2017, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1890 Post(s)
Liked: 1965
Quote:
I'm not getting this thing with "nits" all of a sudden. NIT's = how bright the tv will get right? From what I am reading manufacturers are increasing nits or brightness to make the lack of black seem darker, isn't that just a type of marketing lie to the consumer. "Hey, look at this overly bright tv, don't the grays look blacker now"
Paying someone a lot of money to inadvertently lie to me doesn't make sense or am I missing something?

Have you seen the blacks on the two sets the Op is interested in? Not only are the blacks almost monumental in achievement for LED/LCD (or any set aside from OLED) but they boast some of the highest nits as well especially the Z9D.
TATITO likes this.
post #23 of 25 Old 09-30-2017, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

the term nits has been around for decades,...its a form of measurement,its just that now it has come into the vocabulary of more consumers because of hdr,...and higher brightness among other advantages (color space..ex...) is one component of hdr,and its measured by independent reviewers and calibrators so i dont think its a marketing gimmick,would of been called out by now,....some even say that hdr is a bigger step forward in tv tech advancement than 4k itself.the uhd alliance (not that i use there specs to guide any of my decisions) have two different guidelines for hdr certification,...one for led/lcd and another for oled,the difference in the 2 guidelines is that the minimum number of nits for an oled to reach for approval is lowered compared to led/lcd because of the a.b.l on oleds,....imo anyways the performance of black levels on both z9d and 940e are superb and ill gladly trade a small percentage of darkness to gain a massive amount of brightness,...thanks for the response.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #24 of 25 Old 09-30-2017, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Have you seen the blacks on the two sets the Op is interested in? Not only are the blacks almost monumental in achievement for LED/LCD (or any set aside from OLED) but they boast some of the highest nits as well especially the Z9D.
imo,using the z9d and 940e as reference,ill gladly trade a minute difference in picture darkness to gain a massive amount of brightness-lol,,.was really trying not to turn this thing into a led/lcd vs oled thing,..sigh...the struggle is real.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #25 of 25 Old 10-01-2017, 10:07 AM
Industry Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAS ZOSS View Post
It was only a 1 day sale at BB, lucky for me after calling on line yesterday at BB asking how long sale was and told nothing I went in and spoke to the Magnolia manager who told me good through this Saturday I then asked for a store manager and was told the same thing. This morning I saw the old price on line and at ten o clock I went to store again and they honored the price from yesterday. I am taking delivery Oct 14 just so I will be in the 45 day window for black Friday. It seems the management is not aware of the sales or how long they will last!
Yep we are still doing our sale price, never ended Lowest price they have ever been......

---From 11FT, buy the 75X940E.... I still stand on what I originally said
robdman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page