Need Help Deciding: Sony x900e or x930e - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By skschatzman
  • 1 Post By Just_Nick
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-19-2017, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Lazmarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need Help Deciding: Sony x900e or x930e

I'm looking to upgrade my Sony 50W829B and have been looking at the Sony 55XE9005 and the XD9305.
However I'm not sure which one I should go for.
I will mainly be using it for streaming HDR content, playing HDR games off of my PC/PS4/Xbox One and watching movies.
I like both but need some advice in making this decision as the x930e is £300 more than the x900e and I'm not sure it's worth it.
My budget limit is the price of the 930e. I will be paying monthly for the TV as well.
I sit around 3 or 4 feet from the TV, when playing PC games, but also sit 8 foot away when watching movies; it really depends haha.
Usually I consume my content in a dimly lit room with no overly bright lights.
Lazmarr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 09-19-2017, 08:39 AM
Senior Member
 
green666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Croatia
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I think you will be really happy with HDR performance on both.

I ll try to help. Tested both.

x900e + better motion handling (?), no trailing, really fast panel for gaming, FALD
- no Dolby vision, some blooming on credits and sometimes into black bars
x930e + double picture processing, DV coming with update, brighter for HDR (not by much)
- trailing, occasional judder, edge lit

Not sure paying more for 930E is a good decision in a 55 size, you will hardly see any different picture wise.

1st 55js8002: Bad DSE - returned for replace
2nd 55js8002: Exactly the same thing - refund
55js9002: Panel R.I.P. (edge bleed after 1 year of use) - refund
55x900E: Great TV - hope it will last
green666 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 09-19-2017, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
skschatzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 977
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Motion handling is better on the x900e. Good for gaming and fast moving scenes.
X900e uses FALD so blooming around bright highlights is minimal compared to the edge-lit x930e
The x930e has slightly better picture quality and input lag over the x900e. 99.99% of consumers would never be able to notice a difference.
Value for price goes to the x900e.



Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

=======================================

My P65-C1 Calibration Settings (3.3.18.1)
skschatzman is online now  
 
post #4 of 11 Old 09-19-2017, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Lazmarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by green666 View Post
I think you will be really happy with HDR performance on both.

I ll try to help. Tested both.

x900e + better motion handling (?), no trailing, really fast panel for gaming, FALD
- no Dolby vision, some blooming on credits and sometimes into black bars
x930e + double picture processing, DV coming with update, brighter for HDR (not by much)
- trailing, occasional judder, edge lit

Not sure paying more for 930E is a good decision in a 55 size, you will hardly see any different picture wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
Motion handling is better on the x900e. Good for gaming and fast moving scenes.
X900e uses FALD so blooming around bright highlights is minimal compared to the edge-lit x930e
The x930e has slightly better picture quality and input lag over the x900e. 99.99% of consumers would never be able to notice a difference.
Value for price goes to the x900e.



Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Awesome, thank you both for the fast replies. I'll have to check them out in the store again. I think I'm leaning more towards the x900e for the price and its use of FALD; even more so if the HDR is negligible between them.
Other than a 12bit panel, are there any real benefits to Dolby Vision?
I understand that HDR10+ has been announced with Panasonic and Samsung working with the standard. Is Sony set to follow suit and will an update likely bring it to the x900e, like Dolby Vision with the X1 Extreme chipset?
Lazmarr is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 09-19-2017, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
skschatzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 977
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazmarr View Post
Awesome, thank you both for the fast replies. I'll have to check them out in the store again. I think I'm leaning more towards the x900e for the price and its use of FALD; even more so if the HDR is negligible between them.
Other than a 12bit panel, are there any real benefits to Dolby Vision?
I understand that HDR10+ has been announced with Panasonic and Samsung working with the standard. Is Sony set to follow suit and will an update likely bring it to the x900e, like Dolby Vision with the X1 Extreme chipset?
DV and HDR10 are the current HDR formats leading the way, but it looks like HDR10+ and HLG are going to blow past them both. It's too early to know which format will dominate just yet. It's a format war. Anything is possible at this point.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
yanks1 likes this.

=======================================

My P65-C1 Calibration Settings (3.3.18.1)
skschatzman is online now  
post #6 of 11 Old 09-19-2017, 03:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
X900E, unless you're dead-set on the Dolby Vision aspect. The 900E rates better for gaming. Also, FALD>edge-lighting that the 930E has, especially for a dim room.
Just_Nick is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 09-19-2017, 05:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I am actually thinking of one of these 2 sets for my secondary room. I am wondering....is 6' away too close for a 65" screen??
Mystaken is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 09-19-2017, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
BPlayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Artic Circle, North Pole
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If it makes a difference, once they are wall mounted or placed on a stand that should be the end of this consideration, but the 55" X930 is a tank. It weights 71.9 lbs with the stand vs 39.9 for the X900. Harder to lift and place, even worse for the 65".
BPlayer is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 09-20-2017, 08:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystaken View Post
I am actually thinking of one of these 2 sets for my secondary room. I am wondering....is 6' away too close for a 65" screen??
6.5' is actually the recommended cinema viewing angle, 40 degrees, for a 65". So, I think you'll be just fine at that distance.
Mystaken likes this.
Just_Nick is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 10-12-2017, 04:49 PM
Member
 
cdn bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
Motion handling is better on the x900e. Good for gaming and fast moving scenes.
X900e uses FALD so blooming around bright highlights is minimal compared to the edge-lit x930e
The x930e has slightly better picture quality and input lag over the x900e. 99.99% of consumers would never be able to notice a difference.
Value for price goes to the x900e.



Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I bought both on sale... returned the 930e in order to save the $1000 cost diff. I will say the blacks were better on the 930e and there was way less light bleed on the 930e. The brights for HDR were way more noticeable in my opinion. But...I couldn't justify the $1000 extra when I still need to furnish my new home. 930e is way better if you can afford the extra coin but i'm very happy with the 900e.
cdn bacon is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 10-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Member
 
cdn bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystaken View Post
I am actually thinking of one of these 2 sets for my secondary room. I am wondering....is 6' away too close for a 65" screen??
I bought the 65" x900e. I started at 8ft and ended up pushing my couch back to 11 ft currently. I was getting lost in the screen during video games and it just felt more comfy with a bit more distance. I also noticed a huge diff in image quality when watching OTA tv with the couch back a couple more feet. IMO ... yes, 6ft is too close for a 65"
cdn bacon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off