Help: New Sony X930E periodically flashes / flickers / blinks to black screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-20-2017, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Help: New Sony X930E periodically flashes / flickers / blinks to black screen

I have just purchased a new Sony X930E from Curry's online and it seems to periodically flash / flicker / blink to a black screen - I'm not sure what the best terminology for this is.
  • Sound is still output by the TV while this happens
  • Duration: Happens for 1 to 2 seconds and then comes back
  • Happens on every port and on the Android home screen - so can rule it out being cables
  • Firmware 7.0
  • Build: BRAVIA_ATV2_EU-user 7.0 NRD91N.S36 1.6.0.26.02.1.00 release keys

This happened on first purchase during the setup menus, so no settings have even been applied by this point and I have also applied the latest updates to see if this addresses it to no avail, then also factory reseted it. All cables have been unplugged to rule anything like the HDMI port settings.

I tried to keep a time pattern to find if it could be anything like the screensaver or power saver settings playing up, if there may potentially be a consistent pattern. For some periods it does it quite a bit and can stop for a while again. I setup the TV yesterday evening and have come back to it this evening and the timings of the flickering are below:

18:36, 18:56, 19:13, 19:15 (2), 19:17, 19:23, 19:53

I'm a bit of a techy, but not really a TV expert. I feel I have tried to rule a lot of things out above, if you need me to provide any other details within my ability I can.

Do you think it could be a hardware fault with the TV? It would be strange of the TV in the default calibrated settings to do this. I did try searching, but I might not be using the right terms. Anyone have any idea? Should I speak to Curry's support or Sony? I have hit 'Product registration' quite yet as it is literally that new.

Edit: So got a replacement coming tomorrow and packaged the old one up. Hopefully I don't luck out again!

Last edited by eckoro; 09-21-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-20-2017, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for double post, I have captured a video which illustrates it. It seems as if the back lighting all switches off since I can't spot any obvious bloom. As said, the sound remains when I've been viewing other content and you can see the 'on' light below the Sony logo, so there is no power issue. I left it on the Android screen to demonstrate it isn't an issue with cables on other feeds.

Timestamps of it happening:
  1. 6:35
  2. 10:23
  3. 14:18
post #3 of 6 Old 09-20-2017, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 43
My 900e does the same thing and I'm going to switch out my hdmi cables as I think that's hdmi drop out from my old low quality cables.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-21-2017, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddvette9 View Post
My 900e does the same thing and I'm going to switch out my hdmi cables as I think that's hdmi drop out from my old low quality cables.
That is worth a try, I have heard of people using incompatible cables, I did also notice on scouring the interface for any fixes to my issues, there were HDMI settings for 'Full' or 'Limited' so you should probably set that up to what cable you have.

I've completely ruled out cables and figure it must be something wrong with the TV. Going to call Curry's later today about getting an exchange.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-21-2017, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckoro View Post

I've completely ruled out cables and figure it must be something wrong with the TV. Going to call Curry's later today about getting an exchange.
If you've ruled out cables, an exchange is the only advise I can give you.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-21-2017, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
If you've ruled out cables, an exchange is the only advise I can give you.
I thought so, will be calling them up later tonight. Just was first hoping it was a calibration issue or firmware issue so wouldn't have to go through all this. Hopefully it isn’t too much of an issue to get it replaced, I’ve only had it a couple of days and have video evidence of it. I'd rather not have it repaired, then them taking ages with delivery, for it to then be out the 30 day window of the consumers right act and then an issue crops up again later - so would rather a replacement.

Edit: So got a replacement coming tomorrow and packaged the old one up. Hopefully I don't luck out again!

Last edited by eckoro; 09-21-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
blink , flashing , flicker , Sony , x930e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page