OLED vs QLED: Recommendations? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
  • 2 Post By Demoth2000
  • 1 Post By BPlayer
  • 2 Post By 8mile13
  • 2 Post By zalusky
  • 1 Post By Latinoheat
  • 2 Post By 8mile13

post #1 of 16 Old 09-21-2017, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 19
OLED vs QLED: Recommendations?

Good afternoon!
It has been a while since I have been around this parts but it is that time again when I am looking a for a new upgrade.

The contenders are LG's OLED65E7P and OLED65G7P, vs Samsung's QN65Q9FAMFXZA. I have done some research before hand of course, but man stuff has changed a lot since I last bought my LED Sammy 4 years ago. There seems to be a lot of debate of OLED vs QLED and what the actual pros and cons are, so i wanted to hear from the AV community I have always trusted the most, which is you guys. Here are my main concerns:
  1. Is 3D support still a thing? I have 3D movies I enjoy
  2. Which of these panels are considered full array backlighting?
  3. To reiterate on #2, I REALLY want to avoid light bleed. Wanna make sure I make the right choice for that
  4. Which is suited for fast motion/gaming?
  5. Am I understanding correctly that all the newer LG OLEDs are the exact same panels and processing, with the only difference being design and sound bar power?
  6. Any other contenders you guys might recommend? Perhaps Sony?

I thank you guys in advance for any help or guidance you can provider. Have a great day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-21-2017, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

whoops. Upon looking more closely, seems I should have posted this in
OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Mods please move if necessary
post #3 of 16 Old 09-21-2017, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I never agreed with splitting up the forum into LCD and OLED since both technologies look and function about the same and are getting closer in real life useage each passing year. I would not get an OLED set now if I was using my TV a lot and planned on holding it for several years. Burn in is a much worse issue than thought just a few months back and the long term holding up of the blue color spectrum is highly questionable.

OLED is better if you are anal about perfect blacks, otherwise, most people who are not videophiles prefer QED or quantum dot LCD which looks to the average person to be brighter and more colorful and with enough zones, can be close to OLED in darks.

OLED is still over priced and under-tested longterm for me personally.
MCaugusto and darkleafar like this.

post #4 of 16 Old 09-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoth2000 View Post
I never agreed with splitting up the forum into LCD and OLED since both technologies look and function about the same and are getting closer in real life useage each passing year. I would not get an OLED set now if I was using my TV a lot and planned on holding it for several years. Burn in is a much worse issue than thought just a few months back and the long term holding up of the blue color spectrum is highly questionable.

OLED is better if you are anal about perfect blacks, otherwise, most people who are not videophiles prefer QED or quantum dot LCD which looks to the average person to be brighter and more colorful and with enough zones, can be close to OLED in darks.

OLED is still over priced and under-tested longterm for me personally.
LED-LCD and OLED don't function the same at all. LED-LCD is a transmissive display, while OLED is an emissive display. OLED has more in common with plasma displays than LED-LCD in terms of function.

My humble system:

Sony X900e; Sony UBP-X800; Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD universal blu-ray player; Denon 4300H AVR, Dual PSA S1801's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; one pair NHT mini Atmos speakers; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, GeForce 980Ti, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case)
post #5 of 16 Old 09-21-2017, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkleafar View Post
  1. Is 3D support still a thing? I have 3D movies I enjoy
  2. Which of these panels are considered full array backlighting?
  3. To reiterate on #2, I REALLY want to avoid light bleed. Wanna make sure I make the right choice for that
  4. Which is suited for fast motion/gaming?
  5. Am I understanding correctly that all the newer LG OLEDs are the exact same panels and processing, with the only difference being design and sound bar power?
  6. Any other contenders you guys might recommend? Perhaps Sony?
I am in he research phase as well and have spent lot of time at it, but I am not an expert or a particularly critical viewer. That being said.

1. 3D was a fad that never materialized in the mainstream. It is dead just like curved screens.
2. OLED controls the light of every pixel so is better than FALD. The QLED is not quite as good as a FALD model but blacks are good, and it has other positive attributes but ranks low on the price/performance scale.
4. The OLED is rated higher in this category than the QLED
5. Yes. The Sony A1E also uses the same panels but their firmware/software is different making them better.
6. The Sony XBR65X900E should be considered. It is a great performer, sits somewhere between the OLED and QLED in performance but is less expensive.
6. The best all-round right now is the Sony XBR-65A1E but it is very pricey.

The jury is out on the long term performance of the OLED. If long term is 100,000 hours then that is a lot of viewing time.

Some other factors to consider are physical appearance of the TV's and if it is going to be wall mounted. They are not all equal in this area.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-21-2017, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

thank you everyone for your replies.
The OLED forums have a thread about banding, vignetting, and burn in. It seems these problems are more widespread than previously thought. What is yalls opinion? I understand OLED is more like plasma in that it itself is the light and pixel, where QLED its still an LCD with a light behind it...but ultimately what is going to last longer? what is the better bang for the buck? I have always been partial to samsung, but I am surprised they are the only ones with no OLED offering despite their mobile devices OLED trends. Thoughts?
post #7 of 16 Old 09-21-2017, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
The OLED forums have a thread about banding, vignetting, and burn in. It seems these problems are more widespread than previously thought. What is yalls opinion? I understand OLED is more like plasma in that it itself is the light and pixel, where QLED its still an LCD with a light behind it...but ultimately what is going to last longer? what is the better bang for the buck? I have always been partial to samsung, but I am surprised they are the only ones with no OLED offering despite their mobile devices OLED trends. Thoughts?
Not owning either TV. I am a current owner of a Plasma TV and all I know is plasma as I have had it for the past 8 years. My choice would be OLED is that is the next step generally for Plasma owners. I am still waiting for the OLED TV's to mature, the issues that some people are having OLED' is somewhat troubling. I am curious to see the advancements on both TV's in 2018. With OLED, will we get more Nits, ABL improvement, etc.

Another thing to possibly consider is the many formats that both TV's will support, Dolby Vision is on OLED but not on the QLED. Below is a link that shows which TV's have what.

http://www.avsforum.com/master-list-...able-displays/

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/qled-q9f-q9

Happy hunting and good luck in whatever decision you make.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-22-2017, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
Quote:
Samsung uses marketing trying to make believe that QLED is a TV technology, all 2017 Samsung QLEDs are Edge Lit LCd's (LCd is a TV technology. You started this thread in the LCd Forum the home of QLED so to speak). Like Plasma OLED is a self emissive TV technology. OLED's have better blacks than Plasma. TVs are judged by their pq. OLEDs basically wins all the pq shootouts
mpgxsvcd and nodixe like this.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-22-2017, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 50
As a owner of the LG B6 that experienced Burn In / premature aged pixels in less than 1 year, I would wait a generation or two on those products. Being an emissive display every pixel is its own failure point whether its premature aging or outright failure.
Its an expensive lesson to learn. I have done all the tricks that I can to see if I can normalize the display but its still there. Now I see this green blob on the screen that is hard to ignore and the letterbox box burn in areas just create a bit of a blur in other areas that make the picture less crisp.

I plan to look at the Sony soon. If you do still go OLED - BUY a warranty that will cover burn in as LG certainly won't help you.
MCaugusto and Demoth2000 like this.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-22-2017, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 27
B6 owner here. Used for ps4 pro gaming 75-80% of time, youtube rest of the time with zero burn. Burn in is an issue but I believe is overstated on this forum. Zelda, MSNBC, CNN are the primary culprits with fully saturated bright red static on screen gfx. This causes pixels to age at a faster rate than the rest and the dimned brightness can be seen (more like a burn out really). I was in the same boat when deciding on buying my b6 with the burn in being my sticking point. I ultimately decided that whatever the risk was, I would eat it. Who cares about burn in when I've got perfect black and even an oled with severe burn in from hours upon hours of enjoying the hell out of it will still look twice as good as ANY lcd sammy or sony period. Burnt B6 > new Z9D > Q9 every day of the week (its my opinion but thats the one that counts).
Also the 2016's (C6, e6/g6?) was last model to have what is unanimously considered the best 3d experience in theater or home theater. The pinnacle.
Lastly, the oleds lose their infinite contrast advantage the more ambient light increases (when your eyes adapt it raises the black level closer to Qled). That's why critical viewing is done in a pitch black environment. Anyway point is if your environment is always bright (poorest viewing conditions but a lot of people dont care) then an OLED might not have any advantages over an LCD.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #11 of 16 Old 09-22-2017, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I don't believe any QLED TV's are FLAD, they are all edge lit. If you are inclined to buy online, hit up Chris at ClevelandAV, he has a decent price on the Sony XBR75x940e. FALD TV w/256 zones
post #12 of 16 Old 09-22-2017, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I came from 4 years with a great panny 65zt60. Loved every minute with it. Wanted to upgrade to 4K got talked in to a Samsung 65mu9000. Worst mistake ever. Thank goodness there was a defect in it and was able to return it to Samsung after two months of Samsung return hell. Now a proud owner of a lg oled65g7 and absolutely love it. I prefer its style picture everything over the Sony. Yes there are a few defects but well worth the best pictures available today. No tv is perfect. Also in my humble opinion the Samsung tv build quality leaves a lot to be desired. Cheap plastic glued together in most cases. If I would go led it would be Sony. Another very key thing is the great viewing angle of the oled sets compared to the almost non existent angles on led. By the way the only reason for giving up the plasma was we moved an didn't have a a light controlled environment. The plasma became very hard to see in daytime. Although the led was brighter the lg g7 is more than good enough in our two window day lit living room. I have one thing more to add about Samsung. Although they're return process was long and cumbersome the people I dealt with were always polite and as helpful depending on how limited they might be in their particular position. Sorry for the ramble from a non techie.

Lg oled65G7P
Samsung K950
Sony x1000es
Lg 970
Toshiba X1 HD-DVD
Rocket fish HDMI 2.0 HDMI 4K switch 5x1
post #13 of 16 Old 09-22-2017, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Easy decision, get the Oled. Samsung's Q9 is edgelit and way overpriced. Save some money and get a B7 or B6 if you don't care about the soundbar. If you want an LCD look into 2017 Sony x900 fald panels which are priced reasonable. Going Oled or Sony you will have Dolby vision as well.

As for BI on oleds, I've had mine since 2015 and not a sign of IR/BI. Just my 2 cents.
william06 likes this.

Media room- LG 4K OLED EG9600, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Samsung 4K K8500, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, HTPC, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4

Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii

Last edited by Latinoheat; 09-22-2017 at 08:02 PM.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-22-2017, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 8
i don't believe the x900 will get DV, but the x940e will.....someday
post #15 of 16 Old 09-22-2017, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
Samsung uses marketing trying to make believe that QLED is a TV technology, all 2017 Samsung QLEDs are Edge Lit LCd's (LCd is a TV technology. You started this thread in the LCd Forum the home of QLED so to speak). Like Plasma OLED is a self emissive TV technology. OLED's have better blacks than Plasma. TVs are judged by their pq. OLEDs basically wins all the pq shootouts
It's pretty safe to say that quantum dot is a TV technology, which is what QLED TVs are: TVs that have quantum dots.
post #16 of 16 Old 09-22-2017, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
It's pretty safe to say that quantum dot is a TV technology, which is what QLED TVs are: TVs that have quantum dots.
Actually Samsung got the rights to the name QLED which originaly meant ''self emissive quantum dot TV''. Now they use the name for Edge Lit LCds with quantum dot/LED backlight. The LCd is the TV technology the backlight is not.
Latinoheat and PENDRAG0ON like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page