Wide Viewing Angle on 43"-49" 4K HDR ?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-22-2017, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Wide Viewing Angle on 43"-49" 4K HDR ??

No matter what, one issue I cannot budge on is the need for a wide viewing angle on my new living room (not theater) TV. I see discussions of IPS vs. VA but this data, along with just straight viewing angle info, is hard to find when shopping.

Can someone either provide a good source that includes this spec or rattle off some common models that are available in the 43 and/or 49/50 size that have a wide viewing angle?

I need to get that short-list first before I start diving deeper into budget and other features.

Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-22-2017, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 141
If you need wide viewing angles then IPS is the way to go.

You'll probably want to look into the Sony x800e and LG UJ7700. Both have IPS panels, wide color gamuts and 49" models. The Sony even has a 43" model.

Each has postive and negatives against one another.

- x800e is a true 4k panel, not an rgbw panel on the LG which is considered "fake" 4k
- Both have roughly the same contrast ratio being IPS panels, but the UJ7700 has local dimming while the x800e does not, although it's not a good local dimming function
- The UJ7700 gets a little brighter than the x800e in HDR content
- Colors should look a little better on the Sony vs. LG, RGBW panel making a difference here for the LG not being as good
- The UJ7700 is definitely better at handling reflections than the x800e, so consider that if it's going into a bright room
- The UJ7700 has unbeatable input lag, much better than on the x800e, but the x800e's is still very good and unless you're a competitive gamer you wont notice a difference
- The UJ7700 supports dolby vision and hdr10, the x800e only hdr10

up to you to decide. The UJ7700 beats the x800e in many thing, but the RGBW panel does hold it back some. The UJ7700 should be a little bit cheaper than the x800e, so something to consider.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-22-2017, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100 View Post
If you need wide viewing angles then IPS is the way to go.

You'll probably want to look into the Sony x800e and LG UJ7700. Both have IPS panels, wide color gamuts and 49" models. The Sony even has a 43" model.

Each has postive and negatives against one another.

- x800e is a true 4k panel, not an rgbw panel on the LG which is considered "fake" 4k
- Both have roughly the same contrast ratio being IPS panels, but the UJ7700 has local dimming while the x800e does not, although it's not a good local dimming function
- The UJ7700 gets a little brighter than the x800e in HDR content
- Colors should look a little better on the Sony vs. LG, RGBW panel making a difference here for the LG not being as good
- The UJ7700 is definitely better at handling reflections than the x800e, so consider that if it's going into a bright room
- The UJ7700 has unbeatable input lag, much better than on the x800e, but the x800e's is still very good and unless you're a competitive gamer you wont notice a difference
- The UJ7700 supports dolby vision and hdr10, the x800e only hdr10

up to you to decide. The UJ7700 beats the x800e in many thing, but the RGBW panel does hold it back some. The UJ7700 should be a little bit cheaper than the x800e, so something to consider.

Very helpful Tbird, thank you so much. One follow-up...This is my living room TV where I personally don't watch many movies (if so, its casual afternoon weekend movie w/ wife) ...mainly casual TV between my wife and I. I have a more dedicated room in the basement currently running a 60" plasma where I watch movies in the dark, 7.1 surround, etc...Is the difference between the RGBW and the other (RGB?) likely to be something I regret ...where will it show up? I am upgrading from a 2006 Panasonic 720 Plasma in this room...I am thinking I am going to content either way but this is new to me. I will be running an Apple TV4k on it.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-22-2017, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by meegwell View Post
Very helpful Tbird, thank you so much. One follow-up...This is my living room TV where I personally don't watch many movies (if so, its casual afternoon weekend movie w/ wife) ...mainly casual TV between my wife and I. I have a more dedicated room in the basement currently running a 60" plasma where I watch movies in the dark, 7.1 surround, etc...Is the difference between the RGBW and the other (RGB?) likely to be something I regret ...where will it show up? I am upgrading from a 2006 Panasonic 720 Plasma in this room...I am thinking I am going to content either way but this is new to me. I will be running an Apple TV4k on it.
RGBW panels have a softer 4k image than true RGB 4k panels, although at your seating distance you'll never likely notice it. Also it's not good to use as a computer monitor, but this is a living room tv, so you're good there.

I will readily tell you, it's going to suck a bit going from plasma black levels to IPS black levels. You will absolutely notice that and there's no way around it. The black will look dark gray, except if it's a decently lit room, you wont notice it TOO much. I have a 43" LG UJ6300 in my bedroom and since it's dark the black levels just really stand out (as really gray), but when lights are on it's not nearly as bad.

Unfortunately there's just no good budget solution to the viewing angle problem right now other than OLED which starts at 55" and around $1500-$2000 or so. IF you want good viewing angles, you go IPS and sacrifice the black level some.

There's some great VA panel sets out there, but if you are sitting at a decent angle, the black levels on those get washed out when you sit at any sort of angle beyond about 10-15-20 degrees off center.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-22-2017, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100 View Post
RGBW panels have a softer 4k image than true RGB 4k panels, although at your seating distance you'll never likely notice it. Also it's not good to use as a computer monitor, but this is a living room tv, so you're good there.

I will readily tell you, it's going to suck a bit going from plasma black levels to IPS black levels. You will absolutely notice that and there's no way around it. The black will look dark gray, except if it's a decently lit room, you wont notice it TOO much. I have a 43" LG UJ6300 in my bedroom and since it's dark the black levels just really stand out (as really gray), but when lights are on it's not nearly as bad.

Unfortunately there's just no good budget solution to the viewing angle problem right now other than OLED which starts at 55" and around $1500-$2000 or so. IF you want good viewing angles, you go IPS and sacrifice the black level some.

There's some great VA panel sets out there, but if you are sitting at a decent angle, the black levels on those get washed out when you sit at any sort of angle beyond about 10-15-20 degrees off center.

The room is usually lit...either windows or lights. That being said there is a mix of angle and straight viewing but no denying I often stand at certain areas watching a game almost always at an angle. My primary seat in this room is at a significant angle. Its a big long room open to a dining room where I also sit and that is at an angle ...I am talking 45-55 degrees is not uncommon at all for this room. That being said, I think if I went VA I would miss the picture holding true from the plasma even more than I may miss the black levels vs. the IPS considering the room is normally lighted to some degree.

I think I will enjoy the upgrade from 720p...the panel is starting to get noisy also...and in 2006 these things were not very "flat"...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page