AVS Forum banner

Which of these from Costco is best fit for me?

2K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Cam1977 
#1 ·
Costco is my go to place for convenience, price, and warranty coverage.

I'm looking to upgrade from a 52" Philips to a 65" 4k.

The big reason for the upgrade is anticipation of the xbox x so hdr gaming performance is a biggy.

I have a budget of around 1500 give or take.

Samsung 6, 8 series.
Vizio M and P
LG SJ850

The P seems to be the defacto go to. But it has the worst HDR input lag, 40ms compared to sub 20ms for the others. Plus for some reason my son likes to watch/play off to the side a bit, like 45deg from center. This also seems to favor the lg,samsung.

The room itself isn't overly dark, i tend to watch with at least one light on in the room.

Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/sj8500

The LG is the only one that you list with an IPS panel. Home theater enthusiast tend to discount those because of poor blacks, but that's less important if you never watch in a darkened room.

You'll get a wider viewing angle with an IPS TV than with a VA panel. (IPS displays were the preferred LCD monitors for pro photo editing on desktop computers, because of their relatively small color shift with viewing angle.)

Not sure why you mention the Samsung in the same breath as the LG for viewing angle. The MU models seem to be as bad or worse than the Vizio P series.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/viewing-angle

As your budget won't stretch to an OLED display, the LG may be your best choice.

#3 ·
Not sure why you mention the Samsung in the same breath as the LG for viewing angle. The MU models seem to be as bad or worse than the Vizio P series.

As your budget won't stretch to an OLED display, the LG may be your best choice.
My bad, I misread when I saw a comparison of the samsung to the vizio. I think I need to see what the typical viewing angle really is. Is that determined from the edge of the tv or the center?

I could spend a smidge more I guess for he curved which then gets it on par with the P for viewing angle.

Also, looking at that table a bit where the LG excels seems to be in black angle.
It has a color/brightness/black rating of 21/27/75.
Where samsung curved is 20/32/27 and P is 18/33/21

So the real big difference will be blacks will start to look grey?

Sadly the oled will need to drop about 700 for me to take that plunge. Not likely going to happen even with the holidays coming. But who knows.

#4 ·
The Vizio P-series is the best on that list, followed by the M-series, followed by the Samsung MU8000, and the SJ8500 and MU6xxx are not even worth considering (unless you need a wide viewing angle and don't care about sacrificing picture quality).

If he like playing off-angle, he'll quickly figure out that being off-angle makes no sense and he'll move. :eek: :D

#5 ·
And I'm guessing the 20ms input delay difference isn't worth worrying over? Out of curiosity, what is the input delay of say an 8 year old typical 1080p lcd? Is the processing so minimal that its basically 0, or has technology just made it so they can do more in the same amount of time?

#13 ·
What makes the MU6300 so bad? I have a 40 inch model in the bedroom and also the Sony X900E in the living room and I have to say it's not a bad TV. Looks good to me. Granted the colors aren't as rich as the Sony but the blacks are great and I think it does a good job of upconverting 1080I content even better than the Sony. IDK maybe the small 40 inch size hides all it's flaws?

#15 ·
The smaller size will cover up for a lot, especially in the resolution department.

#17 ·
And the HT enthusiasts weigh in... what a surprise.;)

Maybe it's fair enough. Looking back at the original post, I see: "hdr gaming performance is a biggy". If the OP is serious about that, that puts a higher value on an HT-capable set.

It's possible that good HDR, good gaming performance, and a wide viewing angle, may not be obtainable at this time in a 4k 65" display for $1500 or less. If it was me, I'd give up on the viewing angle, but I'm not a teenage boy who likes to watch gameplay at 45° off axis.

#18 ·
Ok, so I think the LG is out. That was a bit of a dark horse anyway. The reviews were never all that super with it but it was in the price range and available so I included.

I'm thinking neither the sam or vizio will disappoint so at this point it may be a matter of price drop come thanksgiving. Last year around that time some TCLs showed up, I think they may actually have some in a 55" now. If that's the case and a 65" TCL P series shows up I'm guessing it'll rank above the LG but below the other two?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.