Ks8000 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By checker9
  • 1 Post By loplop
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
loplop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ks8000

I am in the market for a 4K tv... just in-time for the xbox one X.

With all the praise on this site for the KS8000, I finally been able to track one down for $1900 CDN (new) .

Is this still the best one or should I get something else.
loplop is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 02:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What does a 65" X900E or a P65 cost there?
Just_Nick is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
loplop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_nick View Post
what does a 65" x900e or a p65 cost there?
cdn$ 2,799.99
loplop is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 03:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by loplop View Post
cdn$ 2,799.99
Both of them? The P65 here is $600-700 cheaper than the X900E.
Just_Nick is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
loplop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_nick View Post
both of them? The p65 here is $600-700 cheaper than the x900e.
$2499
loplop is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 03:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Well, it sounds like the KS8000 is a fairly good value, then. The biggest thing is what kind of room you're going to be viewing the TV in, since the edge-lit weaknesses become apparent in a dark room, and what kind of viewing you're going to be doing. I personally really liked my old KS8000.
Just_Nick is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,041
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 325
I use a PS4 pro on a KS8000. The TV is very good for that as well as movies and TV. I watch in dark room and I went through a Sony X900E and a B6 OLED also and wound up keeping the KS8000.

The Sony is a lightly better in dark room performance although with its small zones, it actually would light up black bars even more than the KS8000 if the brighter object in the film was near the upper or lower bar but generally it was a little better but you would probably not tell difference without going straight from one to the other.

The OLED was better in dark room but I actually like HDR content on the KS8000 better (brightness makes a difference.)

I rarely notice the edge lit deficiency, compared to direct lit, in actually content - yes there is blooming on movie credits etc., but no real frequent problems in actual content. In HDR I can tell that the black bars are less uniform, "IF" I look for it, but if I am engaged in a movie, I do not not notice it. Note: for black bar movies, I use a bias light behind the TV or sometimes use a small light in the room. Note: the X900E Sony and LG Oled both looked better with bias lighting also.

If you could get the Sony X900E for close to the same price, that would be a good choice because generally, in dark room environment, it was slightly better than the KS8000, but if $250+ more, I would go with the KS8000, especially considering the KS8000 will get HDR10+ and I do not think Sony has plans for the X900E.
The_Donster likes this.

Last edited by checker9; 09-24-2017 at 04:06 PM.
checker9 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
The_Donster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PACNW
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 769
@checker9 has made some fine points on the KS8000. Bias lighting is seconded. Although I haven't done it myself. Please don't make my mistake and overthink it too long, especially with that price. I'm actually considering trying to find a second one to put in our living room I enjoy mine so much. I mainly stream, game and watch BD's in a light controlled room, but it looks just as great when I turn on the lights.

Official Samsung KS8000/8500 Owners Information PDF
Spoiler!
The_Donster is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,041
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by loplop View Post
I am in the market for a 4K tv... just in-time for the xbox one X.

With all the praise on this site for the KS8000, I finally been able to track one down for $1900 CDN (new) .

Is this still the best one or should I get something else.
Also, in addition to my comments above, the KS8000 is a 2016 model, so they are hard to find, so if the retailer has a good return policy, you should get it and just decide from using it because it might be gone soon.
checker9 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
loplop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Also, in addition to my comments above, the KS8000 is a 2016 model, so they are hard to find, so if the retailer has a good return policy, you should get it and just decide from using it because it might be gone soon.
I am going to pick it up tomorrow. Thanks everyone!
The_Donster likes this.
loplop is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
loplop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
I use a PS4 pro on a KS8000. The TV is very good for that as well as movies and TV. I watch in dark room and I went through a Sony X900E and a B6 OLED also and wound up keeping the KS8000.

The Sony is a lightly better in dark room performance although with its small zones, it actually would light up black bars even more than the KS8000 if the brighter object in the film was near the upper or lower bar but generally it was a little better but you would probably not tell difference without going straight from one to the other.

The OLED was better in dark room but I actually like HDR content on the KS8000 better (brightness makes a difference.)

I rarely notice the edge lit deficiency, compared to direct lit, in actually content - yes there is blooming on movie credits etc., but no real frequent problems in actual content. In HDR I can tell that the black bars are less uniform, "IF" I look for it, but if I am engaged in a movie, I do not not notice it. Note: for black bar movies, I use a bias light behind the TV or sometimes use a small light in the room. Note: the X900E Sony and LG Oled both looked better with bias lighting also.

If you could get the Sony X900E for close to the same price, that would be a good choice because generally, in dark room environment, it was slightly better than the KS8000, but if $250+ more, I would go with the KS8000, especially considering the KS8000 will get HDR10+ and I do not think Sony has plans for the X900E.

The X900E does not have HDR 10? This made my decision really easy (Xbox only supports HDR 10)
loplop is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,041
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by loplop View Post
The X900E does not have HDR 10? This made my decision really easy (Xbox only supports HDR 10)

The X900E has HDR10, that is standard HDR. All HDR TVs will do HDR10 as it is the standard for HDR.

HDR10+ is a extra format that is dynamic in nature that has changing variables per scene/frame on brightness grading and stuff. It is in addition to HDR10 just as Dolby Vision is in addition to HDR10.
checker9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off