Sony missed the opportunity to dominate. Apple TV is emerging. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By psuKinger

post #1 of 7 Old 09-24-2017, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
DrA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Sony missed the opportunity to dominate. Apple TV is emerging.

Sony didn't take the opportunity to dominate the entertainment market despite having it's own movie company and TV hardware manufacturing.
I don't know if higher end Sony TVs are faster but my Sony 900E is still very sluggish to navigate. I just ordered Apple TV 4K box to do Sony TV's job as a streaming device. By buying a Smart TV in modern age you assume that you no longer need boxes but in reality you do. I have a Directv 4K box and apple TV. My internet speed is over 100 Mbps but the problem is the slow TV. Directv, (now AT&T) support is a nightmare without the use of the set top box and the both companies blame each other for not updating their softwares on time.
I know that at first Apple TV is not going to be perfect but they will update their software to catch up. For example Amazon Prime video support will be soon shortly. But many Sony models will not be able to upgrade with firmware to Dolby vision on top of being generally slow anyway. I like the picture quality as a monitor and I am talking about only Sony as a streaming device.

Improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, **** happens, I Ching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-24-2017, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have a Sony 2016 XBR-55X930D bought this year. My Gen 3 1080P Apple TV is far superior in streaming than the clunky, weird Sony Android software. I'll be getting the 4K Apple TV in a few weeks and will give my current one to my bedroom TV that has a Gen 2 Apple TV.

Sony XBR-55X930D, Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony HT-NT5 Sound bar, Sony UBP-X800 BD Player, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG-BT500A, BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TVs, Gen 3 & 4 APC Back Up UPS XS1500.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-24-2017, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
DrA

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans View Post
I have a Sony 2016 XBR-55X930D bought this year. My Gen 3 1080P Apple TV is far superior in streaming than the clunky, weird Sony Android software. I'll be getting the 4K Apple TV in a few weeks and will give my current one to my bedroom TV that has a Gen 2 Apple TV.
I like your TV's view angle better. Nice picture. Mine, 64G model, is on order list from BB. Yes, my old one wiil go to the bedroom too. I hope their 4K sports project will bring NHL, NFL, NBA and soccer in 4K faster. Plus It is so easy to connect our phone to Apple TV box.

Improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, **** happens, I Ching.

Last edited by DrA; 09-24-2017 at 11:23 PM.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-25-2017, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I prefer the Apple TV because I have apple products and can utlilize Airplay. For that reason I am always going to have a separate box. The new Apple TV supporting 4K is way over due but should be great. Supports HDR10 and will support Dolby Vision with an update soon they stated. The only solution to have it all integrated will be if Apple releases a TV or better yet buys Sony!
To all you Droid fans out there, save it….I know you have screen savers and bootleg apps….. Wooohoooo
post #5 of 7 Old 09-25-2017, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Emerging...
post #6 of 7 Old 09-25-2017, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevrock17 View Post
To all you Droid fans out there, save it….I know you have screen savers and bootleg apps….. Wooohoooo
You can believe what you want, as it sounds like you've already made up your mind about Android. And that's fine.

But it's no different than anything else. If you put Windows on a terrible slow outdated rig, with insufficient ram, a bad CPU, and no SSD, it'll be a dog. If you install Windows on an SSD, with loads of high-end RAM and a big i7-6700ish CPU, it'll fly.

NVidia Shield is the same OS, but being driven by much better hardware than what came built-in to my Sony 940E. It's night-and-day different.
groove93 and jdsmoooth like this.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-25-2017, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 149
To be honest I don't really enjoy most smart interfaces. Roku is alright though. They seem too much like they are touch screen interfaces (remember how Windows 8 flopped among mice and keyboard users?). Almost all of the interfaces are better than Sony's old XMB though.

Setups:
Spoiler!

Last edited by dkfan9; 09-25-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page