SmX
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by lcubed
zap the PRAM and the video board should go back to default settings.
no need to reinstall the system.
Zapping the Pram didn't reset the video display :(

Thanks for your response avramd, I will look Into It.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 03-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
SandmanX,

Another solution that solves some screen problems is resetting NVRAM:

1. Boot in to Open Firmware: Hold down command-option-O-F during boot.
2. Type: Reset-nvram
3. Type: Reset-all

Hopefully you didn't get sucked into a complete OS reinstall. Let us know how it goes.
post #33 of 50 Old 03-03-2005, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
If you have any other computer anywhere available, and you want to muck with resolutions, then it's a good idea to just run VNC, in particular to set it to launch on startup (I use OSXVnc). That way you can always control your GUI even if from another machine.
post #34 of 50 Old 03-03-2005, 08:26 PM
SmX
AVS Special Member

I didn't have to wipe it, I just had to hook it up to another Computer monitor and switch the resolution and that worked fine.

I got it the mini Mac to work with my set using http://voodoofx.all.de/displayconfigx/ this is a much better app than SwitchResX.
It comes with built in Test Screens, Displays Native Resolution of the Set and has Presets already done for HDTV. I started with the Standard HDTV setting then adjusted the Porches from there to get it right. It looks real nice now. You can also check out http://tenant.com/mini.php on how to use the program.

Thanks for all that helped me out

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #35 of 50 Old 03-03-2005, 08:29 PM

To add to avramd's suggestion: If you install Apple Remote Desktop Client v2.1, then even if you don't have the ARD Administrator app (called 'Remote Desktop') you can still enable VNC in the Sharing PrefPane and set a password. Then if you have a second Mac or a PC with some VNC software on it, you can connect to the machine.

Or there is an app called cscreen ( http://www.pyehouse.com/lynn/cscreen.php ) which is command line accessible and which you may be able to ssh in and modify (may be necessary to use sudo to do this.) For that, be sure 'Remote Login' is turned on in the Sharing PrefPane.

This may not help someone who has already got themselves into this situation, it's just an idea of a few things to try *before* experimenting with potentially unsupported resolutions.
post #36 of 50 Old 03-23-2005, 05:52 PM

Just a quick link back to this thread after noticing macosxsharp's post. In particular see the posts about the DVI Detective from Gefen which they will custom program with proper EDID information for the Sharp's native 16:9 resolution.

Hope it helps,

Thom Brooks
Chicago, IL
post #37 of 50 Old 04-07-2005, 06:25 AM

"Before you fine tune your TV, do the following on:
Select the DVI input (if you haven't already)
Menu->Setup->Input: Set it to 1366x768
View Mode: Select "dot by dot"."

I have an Sharp Aquous model number LC-37HV6U. It's only a year old, but unfortunately, there does not seem to be a way to set the view mode to "dot by dot".

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to get around this?
post #38 of 50 Old 04-07-2005, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

I believe dot by dot is only available on digital inputs (i.e. DVI). Even then, a DVI input can run in analog mode, and whether analog or digital, it can run in AV mode or PC mode. I believe dot by dot is only available when it is in Digital PC mode.

However, if you can set the computer's resolution to something very close to the display's native resolution, then you may be able to use my fine-tuning techniques (linked earlier in this thread) to manually tweak your TV into the equivalent of dot by dot mode. Dot by dot just means that it is not going through the scaler. By fine tuning the display, you can get it so the scaler doesn't have to do anything because the input image exactly matches the dimensions & alignment of the native resolution. Then it will look the same as if you could have set it to dot by dot, i.e. perfect.
post #39 of 50 Old 05-25-2005, 10:51 PM

Just stumbled accross this post & it seemed fairly close to what I am trying to do. Nothing crazy, I just want to connect an older Mac (G4/400 - video cards are "ATI Radeon AGP 32" or "Ati Rage 128" to my 37G4U media box.

I would like to connect Mac to TV via the DVI connection on the Media Box (my Cox Cable HD signal will be using the HDMI connection I Think, so I want to keep that open). I want to be able to play iTunes through the stereo & use the iTunes interface like on my monitor & see he visualizer. Im not to concerned with optimum resolution... I just want to see what Im doing & not mess up the settings for the other inputs (TV/Cable/DVD)... at least for now... theres always time to tweek it out later!

So far, I have not been able to get any picture at all. I am using the DVI cable that came with my LCD panal, and I set the resolution really low hopping it would pick it up & I could adjust thereafter.. I dont see anything at all. I have messed with all the 37G4U settings I can think of... setting to PC, etc.... Sharp Tech support and my Local Sharp rep both dont have any suggestions & tell me that sometimes it works & sometimes it does not... and Im supposed to accept that mine does not because its not guaranteed to work that way. Hmmm???

Is there a difference detween DVI cables... I see peple mention DVI-D & DVI-I ???

ALSO, Does the Mac Mini really work with the 37G4U... like just connect a DVI cable & it works like a monitor??? I would get one if it did, thats for sure, it would make a great little Juke Box!

I am very new at working with anything outside of Mac/computers, so any advice or suggestions, please be explicit. Im sure this is very simple & basic compared to you guys running HD movies back & forth... which I may try later... sounds very cool. Are you able to have a library of DVD's (Audio_TS & Video_TS folder) on a hard drive & then play them on the TV from the Mac???

Thanks, Mike
post #40 of 50 Old 05-26-2005, 02:26 PM

Hi:

First, I love this thread and I can't thank you people enough. Thanks for saving me hours and hours of futile experimentation.

I have recently purchased a LC37GB5U (which I love even more than my car!) and a Mac Mini is en route. I think that this is the worst question ever. Sorry, but I have to ask it. (I am relatively new to all this.)

Has anybody purchased the DVI to Video adapter? If so, is any of this possible using S-Video, or is the picture quality going to be too horrible/impossible to endure?

Brent
post #41 of 50 Old 01-24-2006, 11:14 PM

This thread has been really helpful but I am still stuck...

I have a G5 Quad with a NVDA GeForce 6600 gfx card connected to the HDMI input of my Sharp 37DB5U. I have been playing with it for what seems like forever and the best resolution I can get to work is 1280X720. I have tried playing with both Display ConfigX and SwitchResX and haven't made any progress... lots of blank screens and restarts... does anyone happen to have the right settings? I tried the ones posted and they didn't work. Help!
post #42 of 50 Old 01-25-2006, 05:48 AM

Do you have the Gefen DVI Detective, and the special setting programmed into it by them? Seriously, spending a few bucks on this device will greatly reduce your headache because it will fool your Mac into thinking the screen is always turned on, AND it will provide the proper resolution setting to drive it. You can further fine tune it with one of the pieces of software, but without it, if you switch the TV off and back on, it may make the computer think the device is gone away and when you turn it back on, it will renegotiate with the EDID information available to it. Which will be wrong and will go to a wrong resolution setting, requiring a reboot of the machine. At least that was the case with my machine.

Hope this helps.
post #43 of 50 Old 03-04-2006, 10:59 AM

Liked: 11
I just want to say thank you, thank you avarmd for this invaluable post. You've saved me hours of frustration and the process was extremely simple.

I downloaded switchresx, plugged in your settings and on my aquos 26" , I was able to use the "auto sync" feature to perfectly place the image. Just gorgeous! perfectly sharp and wi d e s c r e e n!

post #44 of 50 Old 05-08-2006, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

In case anybody is interested, I just got my new intel dual-core 1.66 GHz mini working with my Sharp LCD. As with the old mini, it did not offer a full native resolution by default. The 1280x768 resolution did work fine out of the box. But that is still sub-optimal, not just b/c of the 80 pixels of horizontal missing, but because when you display HD content, it gets scaled down to fit width-wise, and as a result you are also wasting 48 lines of vertical resolution (720 vs. 768).

The latest version of SwitchResX turned out to be a total champ. I didn't have to do any complicated formula work at all. It now has three "simple settings" algorithms to choose from in the custom resolution dialog box. I simply tried all three of them with both 1360x768 and 1368x768, and in both cases, one of them worked after the first reboot.

The 1360x768 worked perfectly after running an auto-tune on the TV. After auto-tuning the 1368x768, it didn't pass my "test-pattern.gif" test at first. But it wasn't far off. I had to nudge the Clock and the Phase in fine-tune to get the 1-pixel checkerboard to display perfectly (no scaling and no flickering). And I had to tweak the position by 1 or 2 pixels to get an even split of losing the two extra pixels (1368 - 1366) to one on each side.

It's still not possible to get SRX to create an actual 1366x768 resolution b/c it's not divisible by 8 horizontally.
post #45 of 50 Old 05-08-2006, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

I should add that when you use this technique of trying all three simple settings algorithms at once, there is a potentially confusing side effect: when you have three sets of the same resolution differing only by timing, OSX only shows you the resolution once. If you select it, you don't really know which one you're getting. SRX tells you which ones failed OSX's checks, but in my case, two passed at each resolution. In the case of 1368x768, one was decidedly better in practice than the other - one was not possible to fine-tune perfectly; it was always too wide by about 20 pixels, which meant it was getting scaled, and therefore not a dot-by-dot representation of the mac's intended display image.

A better procedure would be to try one simple-settings formula at a time, reboot, see if you like what it produced, and if not, delete it, and try the next one. It's certainly fine to do it with both 1360 and 1368 at once b/c you can tell those apart in the display pref pane. So it would take at most 3 reboots to pin down the best timings for each of those resolutions.
post #46 of 50 Old 05-28-2006, 03:12 PM

avramd:
It seems that you are working with a similar setup but getting very different results. I have been unable to get any 1360/768 resolution to work with my MacMini, Sharp LC-37D6U, and SwitchResX. I get a black screen on the Sharp anytime I switch to one of these resolutions. I tried all the manual settings from earlier in the thread and then tried the "simple settings" options as well, but all just give me a black screen. Any tips welcome.
post #47 of 50 Old 06-12-2006, 08:33 PM

I've got a Sharp LC-26DA5U which doesn't have the DVI in but has an HDMI. I have a DVI to HDMI cable connecting it to my intel mac mini and by default all it sees is NTSC specced resolutions that are blurry and completely useless. I've tried both SwitchResX and DisplayConfigX and neither will allow me to set up 1366x768 or even 1360x768. DisplayConfigX always says "Out of Range"... I'm guessing this means it thinks my settings for the display is out of the displays capabilities... when I finally got 1280x720 up its very dark and washed out... I'm guessing it doesn't like something but I'm at a loss as to what to change. Tomorrow is day 30 of my returnability... I may have to take the display back as I bought it specifically to have my mini connected to it as a monitor but also have my DVR connected for regular TV viewing. Anyone have anything else I can try... none of the above settings appears to function with this display.

Thanks
post #48 of 50 Old 06-19-2006, 01:28 PM

kuribohbabylon - Try unchecking overscan.

I have a LC-37D4U and I have the same exact issues. I also had to tweak out the colors and the font smoothing but the biggest thing was unchecking overscan.

I'm still unable to fill the entire screen w/ image but at least the picture is awesome. These Aquos have a stunning picture but what a pain in the rump to deal with through your Mini and the built in HD tuner seems to be a bit on the flakey side as well...
post #49 of 50 Old 06-24-2006, 07:46 PM

wtaft,
I do have overscan unchecked and that leaves a black border around the display. My problem here is that in either the 720 or 1080 modes none of my text is readable. I was hoping to get this to work exactly like it was an LCD computer display but unfortunately it doesn't appear that this model can do that. No amount of settings changes that I make using either SwitchResX or DisplayConfigX help and 9 times out of 10 just leave me staring at a black screen (this gets really old considering you have to restart between changes). I guess my original thought that HDMI was a superset of DVI turned out to be dead wrong. Don't get me wrong FrontRow looks great but I also need it to be a computer display as well.
post #50 of 50 Old 07-06-2006, 04:52 PM

Hello,

I'm tryin to set the proper resolution on mi new Mini Intel. This is my HD TV: panasonic TC-32LX60

the best resolution I can set is 1280x720 60Hz

but the TV's native resolution is the usual 1366x768

I had no luck with SwitchResX (I'm not an expert so I just tried the common resolutions)

Please help me,
thanks
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page