Astar brand 26", 30", and 32" LCD TVS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 05-24-2005, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was at Newegg and noticed they have 2 new LCDs. A 26" and 30" Astar LCD. They look very similar to some of the Sony LCDs I've seen. They have a black "bezel" around the screen itself, followed by a glass/plexiglass frame, and then silver speakers on both sides. The look is very nice. The 30" is last years model and is being replace by a 32" within the next couple of weeks. I called Astar and they assured me that the DVI input has HDCP. The resolution on both the 26" and 32" 1366 x 768, unlike last years 30" which is 1280 x 768. MSRP on the 26" is $899 and $1299 for the 32". I'm just wondering if anybody knows anything about Astar Electronics? How is their reputation, and do they make a decent TV? I notided on their webisite that they produce portable dvd players, home theater systems, dvd players/recorders, and LCD TVs. Any information would be great. I'm looking for a budget LCD around 26-32", and I really like the cosmetic look of these 2 televisions. Thanks!

Astar 26" LCD at Newegg

Astar 30" LCD at Newegg

Official Website

http://www.astarelectronics.com/

[Direct Retail Links Are Not Allowed]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 05-26-2005, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Doesn't look like anybody knows too much about these sets or the company. I still may take the plunge next week and buy one. Hopefully its something worth buying.
post #3 of 33 Old 05-26-2005, 01:01 PM

I am also looking for a budget 26" or 32" LCD for my sports bar.
Walmart.com has Hyundai LCDs in those two sizes for about the same price. Has anybody seen how these look in person?
post #4 of 33 Old 05-27-2005, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

At www.lcd-tv-reviews.com a few people have given a few reviews on the Hyundai tvs at Walmart. Not rave reviews, but they don't seem to mind them. I think I'm going to by the 26" next Thursday unless they release the 32" by then. I'll post my review of the Astar as soon as I receive it. Newegg usually gets their stuff to me the next day, as long as I place my order by 10am. So I could have it by Friday.
post #5 of 33 Old 08-08-2005, 01:57 PM

I just bought a 20 inch Astar. Quality is amazing at 800 x 600, I'm using it for PC use. I want the resolution 1024 x 768, but the text and images are being distorted at this resolution. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to fix this, and kind of trick my display into being 1024 x 768 resolution, even though the tv is optimal at 800 x 600. Thanks alot for replies.
post #6 of 33 Old 08-08-2005, 02:00 PM

I just bought a 20 inch Astar. Quality is amazing at 800 x 600, I'm using it for PC use. I want the resolution 1024 x 768, but the text and images are being distorted at this resolution. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to fix this, and kind of trick my display into being 1024 x 768 resolution, even though the tv is optimal at 800 x 600. Thanks alot for replies.
post #7 of 33 Old 08-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotshotMew View Post

Whatever the native res is on your screen is what your stuck with looking good for the most part. If 800x600 is the native res then there is no fix for making it any higher look good.
post #8 of 33 Old 08-08-2005, 02:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Threads Merged and Edited!

Dave

"Appeasment only makes the Aggressor more Aggressive"
post #9 of 33 Old 10-18-2005, 09:40 AM

Is there maybe a differnt came I should use to increase the resolution at 1024 . 768, maybe VGA to DVI converter, or something? Right now i'm using a standard vga to vga cable. It seems like it would be ok at 1024 x 768, because it shows up, but just a bit smashed and text broken up a bit. Thanks..

Aslam
post #10 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I am also looking at specs on this 32' Astar sold at very reasonable price on pcmall site (pc mall has stores here in los angeles area)..... but I don't know anything about it - who makes panel for it, is a clone of any other tv etc. any info would be appreciated

Never Say Never
post #11 of 33 Old 01-18-2006, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the 27 inch Astar...the 30 inch they did not have at the store, they had the 32 at the time. I am very happy with my 27, audio is just so loud, and the picture is great,

Couple of issues having to do with DVI: the Astar people were not truthful with me, DVI (at least on my set) is not HDCP compliant. Come to think of it, I am not even sure if it is a digital DVI it may be analog. So if I use DVI connection with my LST-3510 LG box (HDCP) I get freezes. But I solved the issue by using component on LST_3510. I hacked the Sammy HD841 dvd player thanks to good folks here at avs forum and I have no comparability issues between HD841 dvd player and my ASTAR through DVI.

Another issue is that only one component set is HDTV, the second one is 480i only.

Also if you want to connect audio to it, DVI and VGA share the same audio input. Also S-video and one of the rca connections also share the same audio input. So the rear connections are pretty limited.

Finally DVI connection only supports 720p, it does not support 1080i. That the Astar technicians told me and they were right. It does however supports 768X1024 which is one of the options on Sammy HD841 dvd player.

Never Say Never
post #12 of 33 Old 02-27-2006, 11:25 AM

I have tried 2 different LTV-2601 from my local BestBuy and they both had the same problem. The power supply is noisy and from what astar's support says, it can't be fixed. Some apparantly don't have this probleme, but a big batch had this problem.

PQ was very nice and sound was very good too. In my case, the tv was for the bedroom so i could not live with the humming noise comming from the back.

I went for the 26'' Sharp Aquos. Very nice, but alot more expensive !!
post #13 of 33 Old 04-05-2006, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Can anyone provide any more current reviews of the set. WalMart online has the 30 at what seems to be a great price with a wall mount included. It's about the size I want for the kitchen and I'm ready to buy but I can't find them anyplace to look at.

Any help is appreciated.
post #14 of 33 Old 04-05-2006, 11:21 AM

I just got a 30" that I snagged from Target for an excellent price. I have to say right out of the box I'm very impressed. It's built well, looks very high end and the picture and sound are great. I have no humming noise either. I ordered another for my other bedroom. This one is going on the wall in my office.

BTW, I was just using SD over RF Cable and it looked great. The included wall mount is a really nice advantage as well.
post #15 of 33 Old 04-05-2006, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the 27'' inch version of the same set which I got at pcmall. Pcmall also had unbelievable price on 30'' set which has similar features and I assume is the same set Walmart sells. It is a beautiful tv, however there are couple of issues which may or may not be important to you. At least on my 27 inch, I have a strong suspicion, hell, I believe the DVI input is either ANALOG or not HDCP compliant. I actually called Astar and ashamed them of it. They only told me that DVI input did not support over 720p.

Never Say Never
post #16 of 33 Old 04-06-2006, 04:06 AM

I will most likely only use this TV for RF cable. Thats part of the reason I wanted as cheap of an LCD as I could get. I don't need any inputs.
post #17 of 33 Old 11-15-2006, 06:17 AM

Astar 32 inch model LTV-32HBG is currently on sale [EDIT]. It has decent specs: 1366x768 at up to 1080i, 1200:1 contrast ratio, 600 cd/m2 brightness, built-in ATSC, QAM, and NTSC tuners, and HDMI, VGA, component, S-Video, and RCA inputs. Anyone have any experience at all with this model or Astar in general? I have heard some reports about poor customer service and worthless warranties.
post #18 of 33 Old 11-15-2006, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I have Astar 27 inch LCD. It is a very pretty set, totally copied from Sony's plasmas and lcds. I previously used it as a tv, and now use it as my computer monitor. My problems with my set: hum coming from speakers when displaying white colors. The hum is not there where the colors are dark.

Additionally, my set's tuner takes long time to tune to a a channel, about 1-2 seconds, even after auto-set, which can be annoying. My set does not have ATSC/QAM tuner though.

Also my LCD has analog DVI I believe, and my DVI only goes up to 720p, 1080i can only be experienced on component inputs. But I believe these are true with my set, which was produced in 2005. New sets must be different.

One good thing with my set, is that contrast is amazing, blacks are as black as on many plasmas. My other lcd (westinghouse) does not have blacks that are as good.

As to customer service, it is in Southern California, which is close to where I live. They pick up the phone quickly. I don't think tel reps are very knowledgable about their sets, but then, the same can be set about tel. reps of Sony and Panasonic and most others.

Never Say Never
post #19 of 33 Old 11-26-2006, 02:21 PM
uh2

I just snagged the LTV-32HBG from BUY.COM. I'll let you guys know what I think of it (it's going in my bedroom) once I receive it.
post #20 of 33 Old 01-17-2007, 02:15 PM

Bumping this as I just bought an Astar TV for [EDIT]

Thoughts:

I have 1 dead pixel, about a quarter inch from the top and 3 inches left of the right corner.

Xbox 360 works great at 720p. Nintendo Wii works great at 480p. The set only has 1 YPBPR input; the 2nd component input is YCBCR which I have no idea how to work.

The set has 2 RCA composite inputs. Frankly, I have no idea why HDTVs have more than 1 of these.

SD cable looks acceptable. I'm trying to get my roommates to agree to spring for HD cable before the Super Bowl.

I have no idea how to use the DVI. My PS3 doesn't work over DVI, nor did my PC. There is something fishy there.

The remote is terrible, and only works when aimed almost exactly in a certain direction.

The manual is basically non-existent.

Overall, its a very solid set (especially since it comes with a stand and wallmount). Customer service probably wont be the best. I've thought about trying to exchange due to the dead pixel but I figure for [EDIT] this is the best I would get.

PM me with questions.

Xbox Live gamertag: majestc12
post #21 of 33 Old 01-17-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutic View Post

I have the 27'' inch version of the same set which I got at pcmall. Pcmall also had unbelievable price on 30'' set which has similar features and I assume is the same set Walmart sells. It is a beautiful tv, however there are couple of issues which may or may not be important to you. At least on my 27 inch, I have a strong suspicion, hell, I believe the DVI input is either ANALOG or not HDCP compliant. I actually called Astar and ashamed them of it. They only told me that DVI input did not support over 720p.

What the heck is analog DVI?

post #22 of 33 Old 01-17-2007, 02:23 PM

I just ordered (but don't have yet) the 27" version [EDIT](needed something smaller). Its actually labeled as a Go Video, but its the Astar (even the rebate goes to Astar).

Seems like the dead pixels are common in these, but for the price, what the heck.

Will let you know how mine looks.
post #23 of 33 Old 01-17-2007, 02:25 PM

Good question. RAM Electronics says "DVI-A is really rare. Why use a DVI connector when you can use a cheaper VGA connector"

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_info.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post

What the heck is analog DVI?

post #24 of 33 Old 01-28-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmesser View Post

Good question. RAM Electronics says "DVI-A is really rare. Why use a DVI connector when you can use a cheaper VGA connector"

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_info.html

Updating on this: Apparently its just a standard non HDCP DVI input. I got it to work with my PC but not my PS3.

post #25 of 33 Old 02-20-2007, 05:04 PM

Just picked up the 32"[EDIT]. I am very impressed at the moment, though this is my first HD. and I am using aerial HD signal at the moment. No dead pixels. Will post updates if anything comes up.
post #26 of 33 Old 05-03-2007, 05:10 AM

Hey,

I have a LTV-32HBG . It has a nice picture and no dead pixels at aall, but I have some big problems right out of the box:

- most of time the unit doesn't turn on. I can use front on/off button or even in the remote control, so the front led stays green (as supposed to be ON) but there is no image. At that time no other function works, so it is really frozen. Not even the turn off button. I only can use the rear pannel on/off switch
- when I can turn it on (rarely), the TV works for 2 or 3 minutes and them automatically turn off and back on. Sometimes it cames back with the freeze problem and no image. Sometimes come back with full image and control.

In my best case the unit could only work for 35minutes and then turned off and could not turn on again. Only after 1hours off or 1day.

It seems there is an "AUTO SHUT DOWN" feature as described in the original box, but I couldn't find it in the menu or anywhere.

Seems to be some sort of problem with the power regulator or with this auto power down feature. I believe this is a firmware issue or really damaged unit.

My problem is that I'm outside the USA and I need to find a way to take back so Astar Service Center can solve this issue. I still have 10 months for warranty.

If anyone has any experience, let me know.

----------------------
Erick Soares
Sao Paulo - Brazil
LOOKING FOR ASTAR LTV-32HBG SERVICE MANUAL WHEREVER AVAILABLE !!!
post #27 of 33 Old 05-03-2007, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericksoares View Post

Hey,

I have a LTV-32HBG . It has a nice picture and no dead pixels at aall, but I have some big problems right out of the box:

- most of time the unit doesn't turn on. I can use front on/off button or even in the remote control, so the front led stays green (as supposed to be ON) but there is no image. At that time no other function works, so it is really frozen. Not even the turn off button. I only can use the rear pannel on/off switch
- when I can turn it on (rarely), the TV works for 2 or 3 minutes and them automatically turn off and back on. Sometimes it cames back with the freeze problem and no image. Sometimes come back with full image and control.

In my best case the unit could only work for 35minutes and then turned off and could not turn on again. Only after 1hours off or 1day.

It seems there is an "AUTO SHUT DOWN" feature as described in the original box, but I couldn't find it in the menu or anywhere.

Seems to be some sort of problem with the power regulator or with this auto power down feature. I believe this is a firmware issue or really damaged unit.

My problem is that I'm outside the USA and I need to find a way to take back so Astar Service Center can solve this issue. I still have 10 months for warranty.

If anyone has any experience, let me know.

my problem with my 27 Astar was that, first of all, I would have to press the power twice on a remote to turn it off, or sometimes more times. It would also freeze quite often, almost daily. And if used as a computer via VGA, there would be hum coming from speakers. I got rid of that tv and am not planning to buy another Astar product in a future (although their customer service is pretty nice, they do answer phone and talk to ya).

Sounds like your problem may be with power unit inside the tv.

Never Say Never
post #28 of 33 Old 05-10-2007, 08:10 AM

Absolutic,

Thanks for your answer.

The symptom for my tv is really weird. If I start knocking the lower front panel, it may turn on easier. But it stays working for 10 minutes at most and then re-start.

I'm wondering if I can find a Service Manual so I can open it and try to solve this issue, since I'm outside the US and sending back to US for service is not worth the $$ that I paid.

If someone knows how to buy or get Service Manual for this TV , it may help a lot.

Regards,

Erick
Sao Paulo - Brazil
LOOKING FOR ASTAR LTV-32HBG SERVICE MANUAL WHEREVER AVAILABLE! PAY GOOD PRICE !

----------------------
Erick Soares
Sao Paulo - Brazil
LOOKING FOR ASTAR LTV-32HBG SERVICE MANUAL WHEREVER AVAILABLE !!!
post #29 of 33 Old 05-24-2007, 01:07 PM

I decided to get the Astar LTV-26HBG from newegg....

I hope it will work with my Dell 710 is just bought.

Has anyone tried a DVI to HDMI cable and what can I expect if just want to watch DVDs for now? (will is be 720p?)
post #30 of 33 Old 08-05-2007, 11:16 AM

Does anyone have any experience with the MP-32DB? We were thinking of getting one as a computer monitor for my grandpa, since it would be easy to read at at its native 1366x768.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page